Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I live in Dunmore East and it was noticeably busier here today. There's loads of empty houses out here so, it's very easy to spot new cars suddenly appearing outside houses that have been empty since Christmas. I even saw people moving stuff like pillows, suitcases etc into a house.

I think it was a bad decision to make the announcement before this bank holiday as people clearly heard what they wanted to hear and that was "we're pretty much in the clear so let's get back to normal" and saw the bank holiday weekend ahead as the start. I would have left it until Tuesday. Obviously I'm not in power(!) but, I'm just basing my opinion on what I'm seeing.
    I know people are sick of being stuck at home etc but, these people will be to blame if we end up having to move back a phase(s) if we see a surge in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Fair amount of cars on the bridge and people walking over at this hour.

edit Chap looking over the river wall just waited till he saw 2 people coming down and as soon as they got level he walked out and squeezed onto the footpath beside them. (area opposite the distillery)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I live in Dunmore East and it was noticeably busier here today. There's loads of empty houses out here so, it's very easy to spot new cars suddenly appearing outside houses that have been empty since Christmas. I even saw people moving stuff like pillows, suitcases etc into a house.

I think it was a bad decision to make the announcement before this bank holiday as people clearly heard what they wanted to hear and that was "we're pretty much in the clear so let's get back to normal" and saw the bank holiday weekend ahead as the start. I would have left it until Tuesday. Obviously I'm not in power(!) but, I'm just basing my opinion on what I'm seeing.
    I know people are sick of being stuck at home etc but, these people will be to blame if we end up having to move back a phase(s) if we see a surge in numbers.

It will be interesting to know if all those people were stopped by any checkpoint on the way out to Dunmore and asked what the purpose of their journey is. I know a few of them can slip through the net with different reasons but the Gardaí should still be out in Dunmore and watching for large gatherings of people in the town, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

spookwoman wrote: »
    I won't be surprised in say 2/3 weeks numbers creep up again

Then were back in deeper ****

Live in the city so im grand for where i can go within the restrictions current and future ones. People just wont listen and we could end up going backwards again with more and more people out of work til god knws when
    edit Chap looking over the river wall just waited till he saw 2 people coming down and as soon as they got level he walked out and squeezed onto the footpath beside them. (area opposite the distillery)

The feck is wrong with some people. Was it one of the local junkies ??. Theres always a fella in a black jacket who keeps randomly stopping on the middle of the footpath and just stands there starring

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Then were back in deeper ****

Live in the city so im grand for where i can go within the restrictions current and future ones. People just wont listen and we could end up going backwards again with more and more people out of work til god knws when

The feck is wrong with some people. Was it one of the local junkies ??. Theres always a fella in a black jacket who keeps randomly stopping on the middle of the footpath and just stands there starring
    He was over by the wall behind the sculpture and made his way to the corner when he saw the couple. Waited till the woman was about level with the sign before walking out onto the path. Gave less than a foot spacing. I'd say if he keeps that up he'll be getting dig

FYYfYZ1.png

• Advertisement

He was over by the wall behind the sculpture and made his way to the corner when he saw the couple. Waited till the woman was about level with the sign before walking out onto the path. Gave less than a foot spacing. I'd say if he keeps that up he'll be getting dig

FYYfYZ1.png

I doubt he would do that with two men. If he did he would probably get decked.

1 new case today bringing it up to 139

140 cases now

I don't know if that will really work at all, without massively diluting the whole pub experience. I think id rather wait until there is a vaccine and you can behave as normal in a pub that have this restricted experience with no live music, cant approach the bar, only 6 to a table etc. And good luck trying to tell the awl fellows who live at the bar to suddenly sit elsewhere and wait to be served, that will be an enormous adjustment for them. Then you have people who will get tanked and all common sense will go out the door - hugs, standing right next to other people and a few fists will start to fly when asked to rein it in...

I can totally see where they are coming from, and hopefully enough people wont mind the above adjustments when going back to the pub as an interim measure before the vaccine is widespread, but personally for me it sounds too much like school to be enjoyable.

• Advertisement

I don't know if that will really work at all, without massively diluting the whole pub experience. I think id rather wait until there is a vaccine and you can behave as normal in a pub that have this restricted experience with no live music, cant approach the bar, only 6 to a table etc. And good luck trying to tell the awl fellows who live at the bar to suddenly sit elsewhere and wait to be served, that will be an enormous adjustment for them. Then you have people who will get tanked and all common sense will go out the door - hugs, standing right next to other people and a few fists will start to fly when asked to rein it in...

I can totally see where they are coming from, and hopefully enough people wont mind the above adjustments when going back to the pub as an interim measure before the vaccine is widespread, but personally for me it sounds too much like school to be enjoyable.

agree with that

the concept of going in for a quiet 1 after work etc will not be an option anymore. People who live at the bar reading there paper will feel hard done by. Match/concert pints will not be the same

I will go back tbh but it wont be the same and not sure would it be value for money to be in such as restricted place which is meant to be fun

Some good news no new cases and looks like the 2 in icu are no longer in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Did anyone else have it in December, think whole town had it thats why our cases are so low here now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the whole town had it there would have been bodies piling up, has anyone checked RIP to see?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Did anyone else have it in December, think whole town had it thats why our cases are so low here now?

My wifes adamant that she had it Feb whatever the bug was a lot of people had it around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

GinSoaked wrote: »
    My wifes adamant that she had it Feb whatever the bug was a lot of people had it around here.

Know a few that had a bad dose around then, also wasn't there a spate of fairly young people dying around then also?

This time last year, my mam and me got a fairly bad flu like illness, and looking back it had the same symptoms as this, shortness of breath, fever, drowning sensation. I remember saying to myself that if there was a God to take me now, it was that bad.

I remember my mam was babysitting my niece and she rang for me to collect her as she couldn't breath.

We both had it for about two to three weeks, got bad, then a bit better and then full dose with the breathing etc, went to the doctor, said it was flu and put me on antibiotics, they didn't really do much for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Know a few that had a bad dose around then, also wasn't there a spate of fairly young people dying around then also?

This time last year, my mam and me got a fairly bad flu like illness, and looking back it had the same symptoms as this, shortness of breath, fever, drowning sensation. I remember saying to myself that if there was a God to take me now, it was that bad.

I remember my mam was babysitting my niece and she rang for me to collect her as she couldn't breath.

We both had it for about two to three weeks, got bad, then a bit better and then full dose with the breathing etc, went to the doctor, said it was flu and put me on antibiotics, they didn't really do much for it.

I had an awful flu and a sinus infection two years ago where I had similar. Couldn't move for the guts of two weeks and bad fever for a week. Lost a stone and was about a month before I was half right again.

A lot of people would have had flu during flu season up which ended a couple of weeks ago and probably thought they had Corona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quite there will be any number of people ascribing a bad illness to Coronavirus at the moment.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Unfortunately one of the patients that contracted Covid19 in the little sister nursing home in Ferrybank, died on Wednesday evening and was included in the updated figures for Waterford yesterday evening. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

alta stare wrote: »
    You will get up to Dublin no problem id say. Its when you get near enough that you might encounter a checkpoint.

Iv just come from kilkenny and not one Guard was to be seen.

Seeing this in a lot of the regional threads. People travelling in and out of Dublin,

There seems to be no problem for non Dublin people getting out of the city as they're "going home" and there aren't many checkpoints going in to the city. I have neighbours from rural areas that have been traveling to and from their parents with the kids for a week here and there. They have ID that has their parents addresses on them.

Dublin is the worst affected, the cities are being hammered. I wonder how many clusters and infections are being caused by people driving to the cities and then going back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

The op described the response in uhw in december I think it was here then;
    Some Stats for Waterford RIP to all.
    1/11/15 to 1/2/16. 249
    1/11/16 to 1/2/17. 257
    1/11/17 to 1/2/18. 283
    1/11/18 to 1/2/19. 286
    1/11/19 to 1/2/20. 358

Riverside Cottage planning on opening up June 29th using social distance. Pretty big area which will work for them

Jack Meades I'd say would be ok too

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

There’s no way that social distancing will work when it comes to pubs and clubs, those hoping to open on 29th June are deluded. Can you just imagine what Jack Meades would be like if the weather was good. These pubs won’t pay extra staff either to wait on tables.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    There’s no way that social distancing will work when it comes to pubs and clubs, those hoping to open on 29th June are deluded. Can you just imagine what Jack Meades would be like if the weather was good. These pubs won’t pay extra staff either to wait on tables.

There determined anyway

https://www.facebook.com/320564315865/posts/10157134132860866/

Going to be mobbed when word gets out there open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Jack Meades and Orpans and any other place like them could open up in June if they really wanted,just do what the supermarkets are doing ,security at the entrance and when people leave one table they allow people in and they keep an eye on numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Jack Meades and Orpans and any other place like them could open up in June if they really wanted,just do what the supermarkets are doing ,security at the entrance and when people leave one table they allow people in and they keep an eye on numbers.

The difference is that their customers aren't getting more and more pissed the longer they stay there.

In addition to security outside, plenty needed inside to ensure social distancing which would be challenging.

One at a time to the bathroom? Do you need another two security staff to manage the queue for that? What about the smoking area!?

No comparison with the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

There determined anyway

https://www.facebook.com/320564315865/posts/10157134132860866/

Going to be mobbed when word gets out there open

THEY'RE....

THEY'RE....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

The front bar in Riverside cottage is tiny no way they could social distance properly and have it worth their while planning a lot of outdoor beer garden but the weather can hurt that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

hardybuck wrote: »
    The difference is that their customers aren't getting more and more pissed the longer they stay there.

In addition to security outside, plenty needed inside to ensure social distancing which would be challenging.

One at a time to the bathroom? Do you need another two security staff to manage the queue for that? What about the smoking area!?

No comparison with the supermarket.

A lot of assumptions as usual from you.

Thousands of people already working in factories across Waterford like everything you just said,how do you think people are going to the toilet in these factories? ,hows social distancing working in there also?,how's the smoking areas there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thousands of people already working in factories across Waterford like everything you just said,how do you think people are going to the toilet in these factories? ,hows social distancing working in there also?,how's the smoking areas there?

Factories and pubs, good comparison alright!

Advertisement