Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

A lot of assumptions as usual from you.

Thousands of people already working in factories across Waterford like everything you just said,how do you think people are going to the toilet in these factories? ,hows social distancing working in there also?,how's the smoking areas there?

Except people in factories are not pissed out of there heads.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

shinzon wrote:

Probably better chance some are stoned out of their heads though, probably more coke in pubs to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Did anyone else have it in December, think whole town had it thats why our cases are so low here now?

Give Gemma O'Doherty a call

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

A lot of assumptions as usual from you.

Thousands of people already working in factories across Waterford like everything you just said,how do you think people are going to the toilet in these factories? ,hows social distancing working in there also?,how's the smoking areas there?

A very poorly formed argument as usual from you.

There are many ways that, right at the end of the social distancing phases, that pubs will be able to come back, but it'll be hugely challenging for those that do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Factories and pubs, good comparison alright!
    shinzon wrote: »

Shin

My point is that supermarkets and factories can have hundreds of people in them at any one time for up to 12hrs,all working together,eating,using toilets,smoking etc ,so if they can do it why can't pubs and yes i know alcohol is going to be a factor,but if the riverside cottage and jack meades are saying they can open in June then i say best of luck to them and ill try support them as best i can.

But in the usual Waterford boards negative fashion people on here will shoot down any positive idea straight away,we are all going to have to adjust and learn to adapt to a new way of life,how about we be a bit more open minded and positive about it.

• Advertisement

My point is that supermarkets and factories can have hundreds of people in them at any one time for up to 12hrs,all working together,eating,using toilets,smoking etc ,so if they can do it why can't pubs and yes i know alcohol is going to be a factor,but if the riverside cottage and jack meades are saying they can open in June then i say best of luck to them and ill try support them as best i can.

But in the usual Waterford boards negative fashion people on here will shoot down any positive idea straight away,we are all going to have to adjust and learn to adapt to a new way of life,how about we be a bit more open minded and positive about it.

to be fair, theres a bit of a difference between all those environments, lump in copious amounts of alcohol and drugs into the mix, and you ve a whole different problem, pubs and clubs are gonna struggle with this one, some good podcasts out there from people within the trade, theyre very concerned, and understandably so

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    to be fair, theres a bit of a difference between all those environments, lump in copious amounts of alcohol and drugs into the mix, and you ve a whole different problem, pubs and clubs are gonna struggle with this one, some good podcasts out there from people within the trade, theyre very concerned, and understandably so

Yes i know and understand that,but if the pubs can look at other industries and try emulate them in some way and adapt it to their workplace then why not try give it a go at least.

They will struggle no doubt,but we shouldn't knock them for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Yes i know and understand that,but if the pubs can look at other industries and try emulate them in some way and adapt it to their workplace then why not try give it a go at least.

They will struggle no doubt,but we shouldn't knock them for trying.

Not really a time for "trying" or "giving it a go".

It's either safe or not and if people have to wait a few more weeks for their pints and pub food in the interests of the public health then that is what they should do.

Not be trying to rush things and risk reversing the results of the restrictions to date.

then why not try give it a go at least.

You do realise theres a pandemic don't you, trying it and giving it a go will be infecting people and leading to deaths and bringing us right back to square one

You cant adapt the way a factory works to the pub environment its simply incompatible. Pubs cannot social distance when people are off there heads on god knows what. They may think they have all the answers on how to do it and on paper it looks good but in practice they just have no good way to implement any public health advice simply because of alcohol and its effects tbh

Lets not kid ourselves here pubs restaraunts et al only want to open up to make money the same with any business unfortunately due to the nature of the virus there business are not setup to deal with it end of

Shin

Sprites wrote: »
    Not really a time for "trying" or "giving it a go".

It's either safe or not and if people have to wait a few more weeks for their pints and pub food in the interests of the public health then that is what they should do.

Not be trying to rush things and risk reversing the results of the restrictions to date.

In Waterford it is a time for trying and giving it a go,like i said last week when i was shot down again,we need to open up on a county by county basis and we are the least affected county in Ireland so why not try open up,all under the the right health and safety guidelines like social distancing hand washing etc

• Advertisement

You do realise theres a pandemic don't you, trying it and giving it a go will be infecting people and leading to deaths and bringing us right back to square one

You cant adapt the way a factory works to the pub environment its simply incompatible. Pubs cannot social distance when people are off there heads on god knows what. They may think they have all the answers on how to do it and on paper it looks good but in practice they just have no good way to implement any public health advice simply because of alcohol and its effects tbh

Lets not kid ourselves here pubs restaraunts et al only want to open up to make money the same with any business unfortunately due to the nature of the virus there business are not setup to deal with it end of

Shin

Hows the pandemic going in Waterford,nearly 1000 deaths are from ages 80+ with underlying conditions and 15 deaths under 50.

We are going to have to learn to live with this virus and life will have to return to normal at some stage,the sooner you and others accept that the sooner we can open up and go back to our lives.
    EXgsRqhWAAUyTRE?format=jpg&name=large

Hows the pandemic going in Waterford?

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/05/08/no-new-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-in-waterford-as-of-may-6/#.XraVIm5Fw2w

TODAY’S update from the Department of Health shows that the number of confirmed cases in Waterford is the same today as it was yesterday – 140.

140 your point is exactly. Open up the pubs and see that number rise sharply, reason why theres no change is because we don't have morons crowding the pubs and were sticking to the lockdown and this is the only reason the number is not changing

Shin

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/05/08/no-new-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-in-waterford-as-of-may-6/#.XraVIm5Fw2w

140 your point is exactly. Open up the pubs and see that number rise sharply, reason why theres no change is because we don't have morons crowding the pubs and were sticking to the lockdown and this is the only reason the number is not changing

Shin

I edited my post,i dont know if you have been out and about but people are not sticking to the lockdown,and the numbers are not changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Gardner wrote: »
    Give Gemma O'Doherty a call

Who's she some hse manager?sounds like your obviously some fan of hers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In summary -

"It turns out that by doing the right thing not enough people died to make it worth doing the right thing".

Pubs will be a disaster, the youth will probably be grand but some of them will home and infect someone not as robust.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Riverside Cottage planning on opening up June 29th using social distance. Pretty big area which will work for them

Jack Meades I'd say would be ok too
    If policed right should be alright, 2 things though washing glasses etc is there info on how long they need washing to kill the virus

Will old stock be poured first most kegs have expired by now
    https://www.micromatic.com/how-long-keg-beer-remain-fresh

I edited my post,i dont know if you have been out and about but people are not sticking to the lockdown,and the numbers are not changing.

On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days.

Im well aware of the idiotic behaviour going on at the moment and im afraid it only takes one for the virus to flare up and the R number to rise again, The virus is not gone and magically disappeared for the moment its supressed that's all. Pubs open up and it exponentially increases the risk of a second wave but you seem determined to have a pint so go right ahead.

Shin

On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days.

Im well aware of the idiotic behaviour going on at the moment and im afraid it only takes one for the virus to flare up and the R number to rise again, The virus is not gone and magically disappeared for the moment its supressed that's all. Pubs open up and it exponentially increases the risk of a second wave but you seem determined to have a pint so go right ahead.

Shin

I rarely drink in pubs but i like to have the option,im talking about all business opening up not just pubs,people acting normal is idiotic behavior now?

The virus is not gone you're right and it probably wont ever be gone so we will just have to live with it and get on with our lives.

people acting normal is idiotic behavior now?
    and get on with our lives.

first point yes normal behaviour now is idiotic, the roadmap has been set out to get us back to some normality, but people just doing what they want when they want now only increases the chance of the virus spreading again. Why people cant just sit on the holes for another 9 days is really beyond me and is the height of me feiner twattery . The whole point is to suppress the virus as much as possible so we can get to the second point in quotes.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

In Waterford it is a time for trying and giving it a go,like i said last week when i was shot down again,we need to open up on a county by county basis and we are the least affected county in Ireland so why not try open up,all under the the right health and safety guidelines like social distancing hand washing etc

And when the number infected rises and people die we can say "sure we gave it a go" can we?? I'm sure frontline workers and bereaved families won't be so understanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Sprites wrote: »
    And when the number infected rises and people die we can say "sure we gave it a go" can we?? I'm sure frontline workers and bereaved families won't be so understanding

Has there been a surge on frontline workers dying? Arent the majority from nursing homes? At some point we have to open the country up even if it means people die. Now dont go turning this into a thing that im all for people dying as i am not but this bloody scaremongering talk has to stop and our country has to open up. Thankfully we have some sort of plan in place to do so.

Btw i passed through town earlier and the place is full of people....this so called lockdown isnt being adhered to as some people think it is. We can all go about our business in manner where the dramatics can be left out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

alta stare wrote: »

Btw i passed through town earlier and the place is full of people....this so called lockdown isnt being adhered to as some people think it is. We can all go about our business in manner where the dramatics can be left out of it.

Why is the town full of people? What's open in town now?

I thought most everywhere bar Dunnes and Dealz was closed.

Has there been a surge on frontline workers dying? Arent the majority from nursing homes? At some point we have to open the country up even if it means people die. Now dont go turning this into a thing that im all for people dying as i am not but this bloody scaremongering talk has to stop and our country has to open up. Thankfully we have some sort of plan in place to do so.

What scaremongering may I ask, the virus is here it has killed people FFS. Everyone wants the bloody economy to open up, but were not even to the first set of restrictions being eased and people are out and about thinking everythings grand, the more people ignore the restrictions the more chance of infection and the closer it is that restrictions will not be lifted on the 18th of may as the numbers will spike again.

If people cant stay the course for 9 more days then they have only themselves to blame when the restrictions aren't eased as they caused the numbers to go up, and if the government does ease restrictions with they way most are acting now than god help us all tbh.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

What scaremongering may I ask, the virus is here it has killed people FFS. Everyone wants the bloody economy to open up, but were not even to the first set of restrictions being eased and people are out and about thinking everythings grand, the more people ignore the restrictions the more chance of infection and the closer it is that restrictions will not be lifted on the 18th of may as the numbers will spike again.

If people cant stay the course for 9 more days then they have only themselves to blame when the restrictions aren't eased as they caused the numbers to go up, and if the government does ease restrictions with they way most are acting now than god help us all tbh.

Shin

There is plenty of scaremongering going on.

Restrictions wont be kept going. The government are making all the noises now about how we can no longer afford the approach they have taken. They know its coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

There is plenty of scaremongering going on.

Restrictions wont be kept going. The government are making all the noises now about how we can no longer afford the approach they have taken. They know its coming to an end.

Doesn't matter what noises the government makes if the numbers go up they will extend the lockdown simple as don't think they would want to be known as the government that suppressed the virus and then ease restrictions only for the number to spike again that increases the number of deaths and ICU admissions, it would be unforgiveable.

I sincerely hope that come the 18th that they can ease restrictions but judging by the way people have acted the last few days I don't think the populace could be trusted to adhere to anything that is on the roadmap for easing which would be troubling to any government trying to balance saving lives and making money in the economy.

Shin

deise08 wrote: »

thats some disaster, this is gonna be a tricky one

Disappointing to see dozens hauled out of a pub during the week,hope they enjoyed a lockin in the barracks

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Disappointing to see dozens hauled out of a pub during the week,hope they enjoyed a lockin in the barracks

Is that actually true though, I heard a similar story, but wasn’t actually able to confirm if it was true or just hearsay.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Is that actually true though, I heard a similar story, but wasn’t actually able to confirm if it was true or just hearsay.

Be easy to confirm,the gaurds said at start of this lockdown,they would object to any place breaking it at licence renewal

Advertisement