Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Is there any source to this rather than speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Not sure what you mean by "speculation".

The travellers are being allowed up to visit one by one, but, the rule for every other patient is that only one elected family member can visit for the duration of the patient's inpatient stay.
    What the travellers are doing is, every member of the extended "family" (or, clan, whatever they call themselves) is going up one by one to visit the "high king".

The travellers are being allowed up to visit one by one, but, the rule for every other patient is that only one elected family member can visit for the duration of the patient's inpatient stay.
    What the travellers are doing is, every member of the extended "family" (or, clan, whatever they call themselves) is going up one by one to visit the "high king".

How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Odelay

How do you know this?

I agree. I find this very hard to believe without it coming from and independent source. Some guy saying it on the internet isn’t good enough for me.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Go out there and see for yourself, My dad was in hospital from January to March out there and during that time there was a visitors ban in place and the system they had in place was there was a security guard who had a list of patients who were allowed visitors and also if they were allowed a visitor outside of normal visiting hours.

There was many a day/night when we were refused entry into see our father and there was absolutely no compassion given, my dad was dying I may add. On more than a few occasions I myself witnessed a number of members of the travelling community just walk right by the security guy as if he wasn't there. I even went as far as questioning one of the guards on one occasion and his response was, I dont get paid enough to be bringing them on my back.

So personally, I belive what is being reported here.

• Advertisement

How do you know this?

Through the magic of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Because I saw it happening with my own eyes.

Right.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Not surprised at all by this, travellers are a law onto themselves. Paying respect to the high king...did you ever hear such complete rubbish, talk about unnecessary journey. I'm sure pretty sure, soon we'll find out travellers have been overly affected by covid, there will be the usual victim stuff, we didn't do enough for them, when reality is they didn't give a toss about national guidance, 5km, unnecessary journeys, etc.

Do we really need two threads on travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

But there everywhere 🀣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think this is definitely relevant to the virus in Waterford. There have been issues with social distancing and large crowds congregating at traveller funerals as well, despite other funerals are strictly controlled with minimal numbers.

Gained quite a frustrating insight into the inner workings of the health system this week.

A family member is undergoing chemotherapy for a terminal cancer currently and on top of having a compromised immune system they've got one lung functioning due to fluid buildup caused by the cancer. Haven't been able to see them since March, and the poor person is taking self isolation so seriously they drive themselves up to treatment and back for fear of contracting the virus.

They'd get their treatment normally in Whitfield, and I understand all public oncology patients are being sent there now to keep them away from Ardkeen.

Family member needed to go to Ardkeen to undergo a procedure not available in Whitfield where they have a private room. Assured they'd be given similar in Ardkeen - but plonked in a 6 person ward.

While the bed manager is saying don't worry about a thing, the person in the bed before her was tested three times for the virus, as did everyone in the room. Turns out they didn't have it, but they're actually putting people who might have the virus and vulnerable oncology patients in the same rooms. Seemingly they only move the virus carriers to an isolated room once they are confirmed, not before.

What an absolute joke of a setup.

It has emerged that one hospital yesterday provided a bulk update of cases dating as far back as the middle of March.

This is now a potential criminal matter due to the rules around reporting.

Hopefully it isn't Waterford, but we do have a rather low level of cases for a city with a regional hospital.

Edit: Has been confirmed to be the Mater Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Waterford county had 144 cases as of 12th May, compared with 590 in Tipp and 290 in Kilkenny. Wexford at 208

Suspicion would fall on Ardkeen

Waterford county had 144 cases as of 12th May, compared with 590 in Tipp and 290 in Kilkenny. Wexford at 208

If you asked the HSE how many nurses they have they wouldn't be able to tell you - they, and the hospitals, don't know themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

looks like it's the mater hospital in Dublin being investigated for non reporting of cases

While Waterford has/had only 1 case yesterday, one of the lowest, it had the 7th highest number of suspected cases at 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

hardybuck wrote: »
    If you asked the HSE how many nurses they have they wouldn't be able to tell you - they, and the hospitals, don't know themselves.

I take it all back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    looks like it's the mater hospital in Dublin being investigated for non reporting of cases

Id not be surprised if more of this comes out. In time there could be more to come out regarding the nursing homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Why because we have kept the numbers down and vast majority of people followed the advice thus keeping the hospital numbers down?? I think the people of Waterford have handled this exceptional well. We always complaining we get fack all down here and thank god this time it worked in our favour.
    The first few posts in this thread were saying we would be overrun and become a virus center ,that didn't happen and now our numbers are low so you think suspicion falls on hospital even though everyone in the know knew it was the mater.
    Fair play to everyone Waterford has played a blinder so far and fack the begrudgers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

debok wrote: »
    Why because we have kept the numbers down and vast majority of people followed the advice thus keeping the hospital numbers down?? I think the people of Waterford have handled this exceptional well. We always complaining we get fack all down here and thank god this time it worked in our favour.
    The first few posts in this thread were saying we would be overrun and become a virus center ,that didn't happen and now our numbers are low so you think suspicion falls on hospital even though everyone in the know knew it was the mater.
    Fair play to everyone Waterford has played a blinder so far and fack the begrudgers

Fu(k sake even the virus wont come near Waterford. We get nothing off this government. Some sh!hole of a place :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good thing that not enough waterford people could afford to go skiing in Italy over the winter. Finally there’s a benefit to high unemployment and low average incomes!!

All joking aside it’s fantastic that Relative to the rest of the country we have kept the virus at bay and Ultimately saved the lives of parents and grandparents.

Does anyone know or have an idea about why the numbers in Tipperary are so high when compared to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Tipp no’s higher due to cheltenham, per head of pop for the country more punters from Tipp go to cheltenham than any other county bar Dublin....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Does anyone know or have an idea about why the numbers in Tipperary are so high when compared to us?

Twice the number of Travellers? https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itd/

But the whole of Tipperary has a larger population than Waterford. Approx 160k v 118k

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

120 cases in a single meat plant in Roscrea.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/two-meat-processing-plants-temporarily-closed-after-workers-test-positive-for-covid-19-997105.html

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Twice the number of Travellers? https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itd/

But the whole of Tipperary has a larger population than Waterford. Approx 160k v 118k

Jeez didn't realise there was such a big difference between us and Tipp.
    coastwatch wrote: »

Wow!
    Anyone know how Dawn Meats have done in terms of cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Has anyone read this drivel from Pat McAvoy. Himself and Skelton must be drinking out of the same coffee cup.

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/05/15/view-from-the-green-room-lockdown-blues/#.XsEFZmbhSDZ

Speaking of Skelton I hear on the grapevine a few complaints have been made to the paper in regards to certain articles he wrote in the context of false reporting the nationalities of people in the articles and then another article where he mentions the nationality of the person which bears no relevance whatsoever to the story. I wonder what agenda he has

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't know him or what he wrote in the past but what exactly do you think is drivel there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Jeez didn't realise there was such a big difference between us and Tipp.

Tipp county is nearly 2.5 times the physical area of Waterford? 4305 square km versus 1857 square km, so has less population density than Waterford. Higher number of cases is counterintuitive in that context.

Advertisement