Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote:
    Nobody knows what the story will be with them, 105 min thing will be gone apparently

Oh I sense a local lockdown on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Oh I sense a local lockdown on the way!

Christ I hope not

Mental health is suffering already for a lot of people and Lockdown II will really drive it over the edge

Eventually we will have to give in and just live beside the virus.

If numbers keep going and behaviours continue, expect it. I'd say mental health services will more or less collapse this winter, system already becoming overwhelmed. We can't all fit in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Young people have no fear or common sense with this virus, it will never be them, they will be invincible. Young and stupid and thats whats going to cause a massive second wave.

Those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Young people have no fear or common sense with this virus, it will never be them, they will be invincible. Young and stupid and thats whats going to cause a massive second wave.

To be fair, plenty of older people not following rules either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Hardly an assumption when I witnessed them with my own eyes?

If you listen to the experts instead of your own keyboard medical expertise, you’d also hear them voicing the same concerns

And just on your comment about not having a clue, my newborn granddaughter is out in UHW at the moment and the doctor in charge told my son that in the next 3 weeks we’re going to be hit with another wave that will put the first one into insignificance

I hope he’s wrong

It is an assumption. First of all how many bars and restaurants in Waterford do have someone outside controlling access. Secondly, if you bothered to check, you'd see that there is in fact someone controlling access in The Reg. I never claimed to have any medical expertise at all. I do know how not to jump to conclusions and blame businesses for something that may never happen (and won't be their fault).

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Adyx wrote: »
    It is an assumption. First of all how many bars and restaurants in Waterford do have someone outside controlling access. Secondly, if you bothered to check, you'd see that there is in fact someone controlling access in The Reg. I never claimed to have any medical expertise at all. I do know how not to jump to conclusions and blame businesses for something that may never happen (and won't be their fault).

For a start, I gave four examples of situations I observed, 2 of which were businesses, and nowhere did I blame them for the disease spreading.

One of the criteria for the bars/restaurants reopening is that clients are met at the door and names taken and brought to their tables, if the Reg have that in place, then I’m wrong, but at the time I went by I didn’t see anyone.

I could clearly see people sat very close together in the cafe in the park, by the way I’m not some kind of stalker, I work close by, and have seen that on a few occasions

The other two examples were nothing to with businesses, and anyone can see the situation in the park with large groups, of not only teenagers, congregating with little or no distancing. I’m far from a killjoy but we need to be careful, the disease was practically non-existent in the community in Waterford but now it’s clearly on the rise given the numbers in the last two days

You also say that it’s something that mightn’t happen, and just like you I hope it doesn’t, so let’s wait and see, but you have to admit that people have started to get a bit too complacent and seem to think this is over.

I’d also note that I was more than likely one of the ones who during lockdown had the attitude that this won’t happen me, but having heard all the precautions and advice that my son and his girlfriend have being given about bringing their new baby home, the fact they can’t bring her for walks in her pram, no visitors, what the doctor told him on the next three weeks and where he sees the spread etc, it’s definitely made me rethink my own attitude on my behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Surprised they only gave out 5 cases surely a lot more on the way seen it was caught at a house party

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

No offence but you sound like someone i work with....all doom and gloom going on about a second wave blaming the young people yet there hasnt been much of a second wave anywhere and not many young people are dying....... I wonder why?

alta stare wrote:
    No offence but you sound like someone i work with....all doom and gloom going on about a second wave blaming the young people yet there hasnt been much of a second wave anywhere and not many young people are dying....... I wonder why?

patience, subsequent waves are more or less garanteed in pandemics, and with the way folks, across many generations, are behaving, our second could be bad

• Advertisement

patience, subsequent waves are more or less garanteed in pandemics, and with the way folks, across many generations, are behaving, our second could be bad

Well at least you said across generations and you arent just blaming the youth. It's a change from the usual narrative of some that all of this is the fault of those pesky riddled inconsiderate youngsters......meh....a second wave.....perhaps not as bad as we may think. I do think though the reason why people arent paying it much heed anymore is that they are fed up of it at this rate. Only time will tell if that will be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I was in a shop today a woman about 75 maybe walked into a shop, no mask, no hand sanitizer, hands her phone to the cashier to do her credit for her. I know some of these older people need help etc but some some of them are really putting their lives at risk (and others too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It feels like the government/HSE have also forgotten to remind the public of what's required - just the solitary public information radio ad which is far too wishy washy in tone.

In "Lidel" yesterday and was the only one wearing a mask as far as I could see.

It feels like the government/HSE have also forgotten to remind the public of what's required - just the solitary public information radio ad which is far too wishy washy in tone.

In "Lidel" yesterday and was the only one wearing a mask as far as I could see.

i have noticed this in the shops to, its very worrying, im just staying away from places with people

i have noticed this in the shops to, its very worrying, im just staying away from places with people

And that is the correct thing to do. If people are worried then they should avoid contact with others as much as they can. The rest of us can just get on with it. No need to lockdown the whole country again.

alta stare wrote: »
    And that is the correct thing to do. If people are worried then they should avoid contact with others as much as they can. The rest of us can just get on with it. No need to lockdown the whole country again.

cluster lockdowns may be required

cluster lockdowns may be required

As in local lockdowns?

alta stare wrote:
    As in local lockdowns?

Yup

Yup

Ah yeah that may well happen alright.

that's some nice views gone with no more inglot in city square ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I'd say we should be a bit more worried about the busloads of American tourists rocking around the country on their hols. A guy told me this morning he saw 2/3 coachloads entering the Wfd Crystal showrooms the other day. Bear in mind that these coach tours do whistle stop highlights of the country so conceivably one coach could visit say leave Dublin visit Kilkenny, Waterford, Cork, Kerry, Galway etc over the course of a two week trip. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to see that the virus could very easily spread a lot more rapidly on the island than it had been doing up to this point lockdown or no lockdown. The mind boggles that you cannot currently fly from Texas to New York yet there are about 6 flights a day available from Texas direct to Dublin!
    And that is only the Americans. Our neighbours in the UK can fly, ferry & drive over the Irish Sea without any restrictions. I fear the Government may have dropped the ball on this occasion. After all the sacrifices the Irish people made over 4 months it could all be undone very quickly with the incoming travel situation. After all that is how it came to these shores initially.

I'd say we should be a bit more worried about the busloads of American tourists rocking around the country on their hols. A guy told me this morning he saw 2/3 coachloads entering the Wfd Crystal showrooms the other day. Bear in mind that these coach tours do whistle stop highlights of the country so conceivably one coach could visit say leave Dublin visit Kilkenny, Waterford, Cork, Kerry, Galway etc over the course of a two week trip. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to see that the virus could very easily spread a lot more rapidly on the island than it had been doing up to this point lockdown or no lockdown. The mind boggles that you cannot currently fly from Texas to New York yet there are about 6 flights a day available from Texas direct to Dublin!
    And that is only the Americans. Our neighbours in the UK can fly, ferry & drive over the Irish Sea without any restrictions. I fear the Government may have dropped the ball on this occasion. After all the sacrifices the Irish people made over 4 months it could all be undone very quickly with the incoming travel situation. After all that is how it came to these shores initially.

covid is not a problem in america, rock on, the market, the market, all hail the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

See your point and it is true. But it is easy for somebody in Waterford, myself included, to say foreign visitors should not be allowed into the country. Waterford is not economically dependent on tourism. However, for many places around the country tourism is the biggest industry and most of the areas income is tourism based. That is the COVID-19 conundrum. The uncomfortable answer is there will be problems one way or the other.

I am starting to be of the opinion things should be left back to normal with precautions. Lockdowns are only a plaster on a gaping wound. They have not solved anything just kicked the can down a road nobody knows the length of. The current strategy is to drag it out until a vaccine is developed. But the reality is nobody is even sure a vaccine can be developed for COVID-19, what is on trail now may not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

BBM77 wrote: »
    See your point and it is true. But it is easy for somebody in Waterford, myself included, to say foreign visitors should not be allowed into the country. Waterford is not economically dependent on tourism. However, for many places around the country tourism is the biggest industry and most of the areas income is tourism based. That is the COVID-19 conundrum. The uncomfortable answer is there will be problems one way or the other.

I am starting to be of the opinion things should be left back to normal with precautions. Lockdowns are only a plaster on a gaping wound. They have not solved anything just kicked the can down a road nobody knows the length of. The current strategy is to drag it out until a vaccine is developed. But the reality is nobody is even sure a vaccine can be developed for COVID-19, what is on trail now may not work.

Thing that bothers me is all that we have gone through and it’s a smack in the face allowing highly infected countries fly in here.
    I take your point on places depending on tourism but without sounding dramatic it’s the tourists that could potentially cause loss of life.

Nypd wrote: »
    Thing that bothers me is all that we have gone through and it’s a smack in the face allowing highly infected countries fly in here.
    I take your point on places depending on tourism but without sounding dramatic it’s the tourists that could potentially cause loss of life.

I don't think another lockdown will happen but if it does no one will pay attention to it given how all these people are allowed fly in and go wherever they want. It is madness they are allowed come into the country without having to isolate.

alta stare wrote:
    I don't think another lockdown will happen but if it does no one will pay attention to it given how all these people are allowed fly in and go wherever they want. It is madness they are allowed come into the country without having to isolate.

The only thing I see is cluster lockdowns

not sure if this is true but heard a Fianna Fail drinks get together happened in the Tower Hotel last week

Numbers going up and meetings about Phase 4 been delayed. No Pubs for another while :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

PTH2009 wrote: »
    not sure if this is true but heard a Fianna Fail drinks get together happened in the Tower Hotel last week

Numbers going up and meetings about Phase 4 been delayed. No Pubs for another while :(:(

Looks like you were right. Another three weeks tagged on to the long slow goodbye! It will be almost 6 months if they are allowed to open on that date [10th August]. Some of the smaller places must be suffering. Its a big blow to come back from. Most of the Summer wiped out.
    I can see the valid reasons for the decision but does anyone else thing that the Govt are erring too much on the side of caution? Just when things were seemingly getting back to some kinda of normality they have hit the pause button. Add the mandatory masks & numbers @ gathering restrictions into the mix and it seems we are entering a limbo-esque phase.
    However the huge elephant in the room is the issue of schools & colleges returning in September. If the Govt are being this cautious about relatively small numbered gatherings, pubs and making mask wearing mandatory in shops then how do they propose to manage close to 1 million people in the education sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Looks like you were right. Another three weeks tagged on to the long slow goodbye! It will be almost 6 months if they are allowed to open on that date [10th August]. Some of the smaller places must be suffering. Its a big blow to come back from. Most of the Summer wiped out.
    I can see the valid reasons for the decision but does anyone else thing that the Govt are erring too much on the side of caution? Just when things were seemingly getting back to some kinda of normality they have hit the pause button. Add the mandatory masks & numbers @ gathering restrictions into the mix and it seems we are entering a limbo-esque phase.
    However the huge elephant in the room is the issue of schools & colleges returning in September. If the Govt are being this cautious about relatively small numbered gatherings, pubs and making mask wearing mandatory in shops then how do they propose to manage close to 1 million people in the education sector?

really hard to know what is the best course of action to take ... it does seem odd that the €9 meal can allow some bars to open while others have been delayed even further now with the delay confirmed by govt. It does seem likely the August bank holiday weekend was the big fear.

i was in town yesterday and observed only a small percent of people wearing masks, also saw people meeting each other and greeting each other with hugs and hand shakes. we have had 8 confirmed cases in Waterford within the past week so those are troubling things to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think there is a feeling in some quarters that this virus only really exists in Dublin and maybe Cork, and tourists are bringing it in.

There was definitely a complacency setting in, and perhaps some fatigue too.

Hopefully people will remain on board with this and keep the numbers low.

Advertisement