Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Looks like you were right. Another three weeks tagged on to the long slow goodbye! It will be almost 6 months if they are allowed to open on that date [10th August]. Some of the smaller places must be suffering. Its a big blow to come back from. Most of the Summer wiped out.
    I can see the valid reasons for the decision but does anyone else thing that the Govt are erring too much on the side of caution? Just when things were seemingly getting back to some kinda of normality they have hit the pause button. Add the mandatory masks & numbers @ gathering restrictions into the mix and it seems we are entering a limbo-esque phase.
    However the huge elephant in the room is the issue of schools & colleges returning in September. If the Govt are being this cautious about relatively small numbered gatherings, pubs and making mask wearing mandatory in shops then how do they propose to manage close to 1 million people in the education sector?

I suppose they'll be hoping that they're not intoxicated/consuming intoxicating substances while in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Was in a shop today and 3 kids where left play hide and seek while ma and possibly grandma were looking at things. Today was a good day for masks, quite a few wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Are we allowed to name and shame establishments that are breaking the new rules? I've contacted the department of health and they literally couldn't care less. I contacted the Gardaí (who I don't think should be tasked with these responsibilities) but, how am I to know if anything will be done (particularly when it's local Gardaí policing their locals)?

I was very shocked by 2 places I was in at the weekend.

However, I have to say that the donut place out in Tramore are running an excellent operation at the moment, very compliant, visibly clean, staff following all the rules, reminding customers about the rules and it feels safe there, you feel like they're doing everything they possibly can to lower the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

spookwoman wrote: »
    Was in a shop today and 3 kids where left play hide and seek while ma and possibly grandma were looking at things. Today was a good day for masks, quite a few wearing them

Was in Lidl on the cork road earlier and quite a few people not wearing masks

Personally find them horrible to wear and have the attitude 'why the **** am i making myself uncomfortable wearing them if others aren't bothered'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote:
    Personally find them horrible to wear and have the attitude 'why the **** am i making myself uncomfortable wearing them if others aren't bothered'

If it keeps you outta ICU, you ll be glad, horrible bloody things, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    If it keeps you outta ICU, you ll be glad, horrible bloody things, but....

Mask won't keep you out of ICU. But you wearing a mask could keep others out of ICU.
    No brainer. Wear a mask in enclosed spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was in Lidl on the cork road earlier and quite a few people not wearing masks

Answer: because you're a decent person who is considerate towards the health and well being of others around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The amount of fear in this thread is amazing,if there's one thing i've learned from this whole pandemic in Ireland,its how a vast amount of the population can be so easily led.

If the government came out this evening and said people needed to wear knee pads and gloves,and had to crawl around because the virus lingers at a certain height ,you'd have people doing it first thing in the morning without even questioning it.

The amount of fear in this thread is amazing,if there's one thing i've learned from this whole pandemic in Ireland,its how a vast amount of the population can be so easily led.

If the government came out this evening and said people needed to wear knee pads and gloves,and had to crawl around because the virus lingers at a certain height ,you'd have people doing it first thing in the morning without even questioning it.

ive taken preventative steps and have implemented your advice, ive also added a helmet, as i keep knocking my head on the ground, stupid head. thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Well you are wrong about the vast majority of the population being led, proven by all the antics by all the young people going to house parties and congregating in indoor spaces and outdoor spaces, content in the ignorant view that they will never get it and the virus only affects other people. This, in spite of all the heavily advertised advice re: face masks and social distancing.

There is a hint of paranoia to your post that suggests the government are attempting to brainwash us. Their advice hasnt always been consistent but i would take it in the spirit in which its intended- to prevent further spreading of the virus and the HSE becoming overwhelmed.

There is no cure or treatment for this virus,which is also highly infectious

Theres no reason to belive our health service,wont collaspe next winter

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭AUDI20

If taken preventative steps to stop the spread of this deadly virus on the advice of medical experts amounts to Fear in your opinion, wait till your lying in an ICU bed with tubes coming out of your mouth and gasping for your last breath, then you will know what fear is.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

So, what do you think the HSE and the government are up to? Because you clearly think there's some reason not to believe what they're saying.

I don't see fear in this thread nor in people in general. I see human decency with the majority of people following advice as much as possible to protect the most vulnerable in our families, friends and society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just on Lidl mask watch - much better on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Well you are wrong about the vast majority of the population being led, proven by all the antics by all the young people going to house parties and congregating in indoor spaces and outdoor spaces, content in the ignorant view that they will never get it and the virus only affects other people. This, in spite of all the heavily advertised advice re: face masks and social distancing.

There is a hint of paranoia to your post that suggests the government are attempting to brainwash us. Their advice hasnt always been consistent but i would take it in the spirit in which its intended- to prevent further spreading of the virus and the HSE becoming overwhelmed.

Nothing paranoid about me kid,id call it experience after successive governments have turned the HSE into one of the worst healthcare systems in the world for a wealthy,developed country in Western Europe.Call me paranoid or cynical if you want but i don't trust this government when it comes to health,if they really had our best intentions at heart we would have a fantastic healthcare system,and might even have 24/7 cardiac care for Waterford if they really cared,but they dont,its all politics,every decision is politically motivated,now that's my opinion on it and you and others are obviously not going to agree,but i respect your opinion on it too nonetheless.

And yes there is fear on this thread,when someone replies to me talking about ICU's and last breaths,death,that's a genuine fear people have,and there's nothing wrong with that,its human nature to be scared and frightened,and i totally respect that also,I can only assume you and others are in an at risk age group and/or are vulnerable,for me im in neither of those groups,i have strong immune system,rarely get sick and never had the flu,and lets not forget we have been told from the start that this is a mild illness for a lot of people,things have gone back to normal for me,im enjoying my life now as i was pre-covid,i still social distance,sanitize my hands,wear a face covering when needed,and i was washing my hands long before covid,but i do all that without the fear because i've come to terms with the virus and im learning to live with it,my life has moved on from it and i rarely think about it anymore.

Question for you and the other wanderer and anyone else whos worried,whats the covid endgame for you?,as in what outcome do you want that will make you feel safe again?,is it a total eradication of the virus from Ireland?,more lockdowns/restrictions?,or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Nothing paranoid about me kid,id call it experience after successive governments have turned the HSE into one of the worst healthcare systems in the world for a wealthy,developed country in Western Europe.Call me paranoid or cynical if you want but i don't trust this government when it comes to health,if they really had our best intentions at heart we would have a fantastic healthcare system,and might even have 24/7 cardiac care for Waterford if they really cared,but they dont,its all politics,every decision is politically motivated,now that's my opinion on it and you and others are obviously not going to agree,but i respect your opinion on it too nonetheless.

And yes there is fear on this thread,when someone replies to me talking about ICU's and last breaths,death,that's a genuine fear people have,and there's nothing wrong with that,its human nature to be scared and frightened,and i totally respect that also,I can only assume you and others are in an at risk age group and/or are vulnerable,for me im in neither of those groups,i have strong immune system,rarely get sick and never had the flu,and lets not forget we have been told from the start that this is a mild illness for a lot of people,things have gone back to normal for me,im enjoying my life now as i was pre-covid,i still social distance,sanitize my hands,wear a face covering when needed,and i was washing my hands long before covid,but i do all that without the fear because i've come to terms with the virus and im learning to live with it,my life has moved on from it and i rarely think about it anymore.

Question for you and the other wanderer and anyone else whos worried,whats the covid endgame for you?,as in what outcome do you want that will make you feel safe again?,is it a total eradication of the virus from Ireland?,more lockdowns/restrictions?,or something else.

Well I can't disagree with you on the first paragraph, but the whole thing at the moment is like a finely balanced tightrope act; we need to open up the economy as much as possible while keeping the cases at a manageable (non-exponential) rate, which given the novel nature/uncertainty about COVID involves a bit of trial and error.

Don't get me wrong I'm as cynical as it comes to Irish politics but at the end of the day the advice isn't coming from the government, it's coming from doctors and scientists in NPHET, and thankfully at least in this part of the world the government can't really diverge too much from what they say, because at the end of the day it's coming from the science (looking at you USA).

Yes you say you're relatively young and healthy but that's not the point, one of the scary things about this virus is it's unpredictability; some people have no symptoms, some perfectly healthy young people are floored and even die from it, there's a lot of reports coming out that COVID can result in a lot of long term degenerative illnesses (which is really slipping under the radar), I think over 50% of healthcare workers who had contracted it still are not back at work over 3 months later due to other degenerative illnesses, there was a report recently that seemed to show that people who had seemingly mild doses were paradoxically the ones who seemed to develop the most debilitating post-COVID illnesses. We just don't know!

There's so much not known and not reported about these illness at the moment that I'd be doing my upmost to avoid it at all reasonable costs. In some ways it kind of reminds me of the first responders at the World Trade Center, they went out of their way to help clear the rubble after 9/11, didn't think they needed masks and it was only years later when so many of them developed debilitating diseases from the asbestos and other pollutants at the site, that they realised the danger but at that stage it was too late. They just didn't know what they were dealing with.

In answer to your question, what's the endgame for me. Well from what I've read from the scientists either a workable vaccine or whatever the infection rate needs to be to effectively stop the virus (I've heard a figure of 60% but not sure how true this is). I personally don't think we will get back to normality until either of those things happen.

johnnykilo wrote:
    Yes you say you're relatively young and healthy but that's not the point, one of the scary things about this virus is it's unpredictability; some people have no symptoms, some perfectly healthy young people are floored and even die from it, there's a lot of reports coming out that COVID can result in a lot of long term degenerative illnesses (which is really slipping under the radar), I think over 50% of healthcare workers who had contracted it still are not back at work over 3 months later due to other degenerative illnesses, there was a report recently that seemed to show that people who had seemingly mild doses were paradoxically the ones who seemed to develop the most debilitating post-COVID illnesses. We just don't know!

Great post overall, just to add to the post covid remark, fairly seriously mental health issues such as phycosis is being reported by some victims, please folks do all you can to protect you and yours, this is one hell of a scary virus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Great post overall, just to add to the post covid remark, fairly seriously mental health issues such as phycosis is being reported by some victims, please folks do all you can to protect you and yours, this is one hell of a scary virus

I really do think the fear monger is gone too far in this post. Everyone can see that the vast majority of people are not badly effected by this virus. Very unfortunate for the vulnerable but they are the ones who need to do all they can to protect themselves and the people who look after them too of course. The rest of us need to get on with life so we have the money to pay for all the services needed. It’s really not rocket science.

I really do think the fear monger is gone too far in this post. Everyone can see that the vast majority of people are not badly effected by this virus. Very unfortunate for the vulnerable but they are the ones who need to do all they can to protect themselves and the people who look after them too of course. The rest of us need to get on with life so we have the money to pay for all the services needed. It’s really not rocket science.

Nobody knows what the potential long term damage is. There are already indications that Covid can lead to permanent lung scarring.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2247086-the-coronavirus-is-leaving-some-people-with-permanent-lung-damage/

• Advertisement

Coronavirus concern: More than half of all COVID-19 patients found to have damaged hearts

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbeing/2020/07/19/covid-patients-with-damaged-hearts/

central banks can never run out of money, we re currently in a delicate balancing act

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

All the focus is on deaths, but there's a lot of other effects coming to light now, some of them chronic, life altering effects.

And there's still people desperately trying to pretend "it's just a flu"

JohnC. wrote: »
    All the focus is on deaths, but there's a lot of other effects coming to light now, some of them chronic, life altering effects.

And there's still people desperately trying to pretend "it's just a flu"

You can have all the speculation you like about the possible long term effects. That's all it is, speculation and fear mongering. For gods sake you could add,
    hair loss, impotence and even leprosy to the possible side effects, anything is possible when you speculate.

You can have all the speculation you like about the possible long term effects. That's all it is, speculation and fear mongering. For gods sake you could add,
    hair loss, impotence and even leprosy to the possible side effects, anything is possible when you speculate.

speculate?

Coronavirus concern: More than half of all COVID-19 patients found to have damaged hearts

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbeing/2020/07/19/covid-patients-with-damaged-hearts/

central banks can never run out of money, we re currently in a delicate balancing act

Yeah and the banks can never fail, now where did I hear that before lol

Comparing science to corruption...

Nice.

speculate?

Verb
    1. form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.
    "my colleagues speculate about my Corona Virus"

yup, central banks effectively can never run out of money hence fail, but private sector banks, thats another story altogether, but in saying that, major private sector banks probably also cant fail as they are too systemically important, and would more than likely be bailed out if showing signs of failing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's not speculation. That fact you think it is just exposes your ignorance.

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's not speculation. That fact you think it is just exposes your ignorance.

It is speculation, where is the proof? They think this, they think that. No proof. There is guy called John on the Brendan O'Connor Show now making perfect sense. Even the immunologist from Trinity saying spikes are inevitable. It not my ignorance its blind stupidity by people believing everything they are told and not examining the evidence themselves.

Advertisement