Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Oh, is Geoffs not opening again? Very surprised at that, always seemed to do well with food and prime location. Im not familiar with the process of obtaining a restaurant license but im sure if Norris's could make soup and sambos they could be classified as a "pub serving food" but perhaps the stipulations of such a license include HACCP training evidence, chefs qualifications etc.

The Cleaboy were selling food until March this year so it wont be a problem for them.

afaik with Geoffs the owner wasn't too fussed opening up in phase 3 but could open up now. Certainly has enough room and does food. Not sure fully

The Mansion is another place that didn't open yet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Apparently the wacky apple is one of our first casualties

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Wanderer78 wrote: »

As in The Hub?

jimbojazz wrote: »
    As in The Hub?

Apologies, yup, wouldn't know the pub's in town at all, shur I was still calling it the rogue

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Apologies, yup, wouldn't know the pub's in town at all, shur I was still calling it the rogue

Michael Martin will be as popular as a welder in Beirut with the publicans

• Advertisement

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Michael Martin will be as popular as a welder in Beirut with the publicans

Yea, they're gonna have to pull something outta the bag for all affected, I know some affected, and their money has been pulled down to 200, it's really not gonna cut it, you can't run a house on that

Pity about the hub if true , was a decent place and they had €4.50 pints all day Monday-Thursday

Downes in big trouble too and very sad day if they have to close

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

At least some good news 1st of the Waterford FC players that was tested came back negative

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

PTH2009 wrote: »
    afaik with Geoffs the owner wasn't too fussed opening up in phase 3 but could open up now. Certainly has enough room and does food. Not sure fully

The Mansion is another place that didn't open yet

Heard from more than one source that the reason Geoffs hasn't opened is they had a private staff party on the premises over the lockdown period, were caught and can't now reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sprites wrote: »
    Heard from more than one source that the reason Geoffs hasn't opened is they had a private staff party on the premises over the lockdown period, were caught and can't now reopen.

All your sources are full of ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Would love to know where you heard that :). It’s quite the opposite actually. Watch this space ;)

Pity about the hub if true , was a decent place and they had €4.50 pints all day Monday-Thursday

As stated above will still be a decent place and will be open sooner rather than later :).

Pop in for a pint ;)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Gavlor wrote: »
    All your sources are full of ****

Seriously lads,the rumours on here are lethal, The hub is not closing down, Gayle is is the process of sorting out some food options and is hoping to be opened again by next weekend. With regards to Geoffs, its common knowledge now that he doesn't want to have to install perspex throughout his pub to enable him to reopen so he's happen to way a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Young John and his old man before him have been happy for years to drive people out if the humour takes them, they've always treated the business like the till is so full no more money can fit in it.

Whiskey was always good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

The latest young wans in there have been very good and welcoming. It'll still never be as good as the Rogue back in the day.

Great news about The Hub

The Exchange opening back up serving food

https://www.facebook.com/295257580620735/posts/2198582140288260/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Great news about The Hub

The Exchange opening back up serving food

https://www.facebook.com/295257580620735/posts/2198582140288260/

Just goes to show not to believe any rumours about the alleged fates of the many pubs in Waterford- im after hearing that place was in debt, was closed down due to too many lock ins, taken over by the owner of Geoffs, and probably more outlandish rumours too! All false, obviously.

Just goes to show not to believe any rumours about the alleged fates of the many pubs in Waterford- im after hearing that place was in debt, was closed down due to too many lock ins, taken over by the owner of Geoffs, and probably more outlandish rumours too! All false, obviously.

Chuck Norris was born there

Remember the one a few years back that Davy Fitz was buying Mason's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Remember the one a few years back that Davy Fitz was buying Mason's

Probably wasn't without merrit, he has interests in a few bars around the place, one was/still is? with Noel Hunt so I wouldn't be surprised. Like a decent sports bar backed by the then Waterford hurling manager would have done a good trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The spreading of these rumours is disgraceful. We saw numerous cases of it in last recession and now again with lockdown...'heard x business closing down' and BS like that. Are people so thick to not understand how spreading such rumours can be do damaging.

Max Powers wrote: »
    The spreading of these rumours is disgraceful. We saw numerous cases of it in last recession and now again with lockdown...'heard x business closing down' and BS like that. Are people so thick to not understand how spreading such rumours can be do damaging.

just heard from a reliable source, waterford is shutting down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I'll presume from that silly response you're guilty of spreading some of the BS I referred to.

I'll presume from that silly response you're guilty of spreading some of the BS I referred to.

another one just in, waterford crystal to go, theyve even stripped the building

apologies folks, im only taking the piss, job-losses actually bother me a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If you keep an objective head about the loose tongues in Waterford about rumours and the whole "I heard that...." rubbish, it can be a bit of fun, its just a way to pass the day for some people. They don't necessarily believe the content, they just want to have a social chat so anything to start the engine will do. As always, facts will out.

Taking that into account, I still would be very surprised if Waterford walked away from this with no pubs shutting for good.

If you keep an objective head about the loose tongues in Waterford about rumours and the whole "I heard that...." rubbish, it can be a bit of fun, its just a way to pass the day for some people. They don't necessarily believe the content, they just want to have a social chat so anything to start the engine will do. As always, facts will out.

Taking that into account, I still would be very surprised if Waterford walked away from this with no pubs shutting for good.

government has to step up urgently for this industry, apparently theres upwards of 35,000 entertainment sector jobs on the line here, obviously related to this sector, some having recently experienced a cut in pup payments, it makes sense to keep these payments up at the 350 rate, until theres a more long term solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Happened years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Disappointing to see Avello group gone into examinership, that usually spells the end . Heerys, the market bar ,project and electric Avenue

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Disappointing to see Avello group gone into examinership, that usually spells the end . Heerys, the market bar ,project and electric Avenue

fcuk!

Tiger Roll wrote: »

**** what a blow that would be for John Street and Waterford Nightlife in general

Geoffs opening back up on the 19th Aug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Geoffs is Wednesday week I think yeah, and its only a matter of time unfortunately when you get granted protection from your creditors in the case of Heerys etc.

Im sure other places will emerge in the same locations but its a sad time for all involved in the nightlife in John Street currently, hopefully something good comes out of it in the end with new blood emerging.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement