Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

I know someone who tested positive today after coming back from a foreign holiday a week ago and didn't isolate. Plenty of people in contact with this person.

Ridiculous carry on after us doing so well :mad:

Bit of context required here, was said person back from a green list country? If not you can't defend the indefensible! Hopefully the case in question has its close contacts contacted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

tbayers wrote: »
    Bit of context required here, was said person back from a green list country? If not you can't defend the indefensible! Hopefully the case in question has its close contacts contacted

People shouldn't be going on holidays abroad, and that includes Green List countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    hope you gave that person a stern talking too

Not my place really, friend of my daughter - who luckily hasn't been in physical contact with since they came back.

This person has been to parties etc. since though. Just irresponsible all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

hardybuck wrote: »
    People shouldn't be going on holidays abroad, and that includes Green List countries.

Well that's a good debate to have because countries on the green list have a lower incidence rate than Ireland. So going on your "stay cation" becomes a higher risk of contracting the virus in reality. Hence its a green list. I'm deviating however. Again if what was said is true, then hopefully close contacts have been notified

Not a green list country, no. And as far as I've been told, contact tracing is ongoing.

I don't really want to be saying much more as don't wish to be inadverdently 'outing' anyone. I would just urge anyone going on a foreign holiday, green country or not, to think long and hard about how it could affect you and those around you.

It's a kick in the teeth for Waterford, especially as we were doing so well is all.

• Advertisement

Well that's a good debate to have because countries on the green list have a lower incidence rate than Ireland. So going on your "stay cation" becomes a higher risk of contracting the virus in reality. Hence its a green list. I'm deviating however. Again if what was said is true, then hopefully close contacts have been notified

It's not a debate at all - it's the current public health advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Not my place really, friend of my daughter - who luckily hasn't been in physical contact with since they came back.

This person has been to parties etc. since though. Just irresponsible all round.

Do you mind me asking the age group of the person? Not too specific obviously but 20s, 30s, 40s?

kuang1 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking the age group of the person? Not too specific obviously but 20s, 30s, 40s?

Under 20.

I'd support some type of fine for those who fail to self isolate following travel from a non Green List country.

Take a deposit off them when they arrive into the country - say a grand. If they can't be contacted at their isolation address they should lose their deposit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I'd support some type of fine for those who fail to self isolate following travel from a non Green List country.

Take a deposit off them when they arrive into the country - say a grand. If they can't be contacted at their isolation address they should lose their deposit.

Who would enforce it though? Like everything else in this country, someone would want a training course, run it by the union and a pay increase to get them to go and do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

The idea isn't a bad one. And I think we'll slowly edge closer to some version of this if foreign travel becomes a regular source of clusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote:

Shouldn't be too hard, grands are easy to come by, and monetary fines always change behaviours!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Under 20.

I wonder it this the case confirmed for Waterford today or can we expect another case tomorrow now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Under 20.

Under 20, likely no health consequences. One more person immune to the virus. Positive news in my opinion.

Under 20, likely no health consequences. One more person immune to the virus. Positive news in my opinion.

Getting Covid once doesn’t make you immune from getting it again! And how is it positive news, that person could easily pass it to others who in turn could then pass it on to somebody that may have an underlying health condition. This is the whole reason why people should isolate if they were to get this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Getting Covid once doesn’t make you immune from getting it again! And how is it positive news, that person could easily pass it to others who in turn could then pass it on to somebody that may have an underlying health condition. This is the whole reason why people should isolate if they were to get this virus.

How do you know getting it doesn’t make you immune? There are zero cases of anyone getting it twice!! We literally will be in an endless depression unless people cop on soon and get on with life. The virus is going no where we need to man up and get on with life around it. Including young people going on a holiday and to parties.

Where are you getting your “ There are zero cases of anyone getting it twice!!” Do you know that for certain? You obviously have your mind made up about this so there isn’t much point in continuing with a discussion with you. We’ll just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

How do you know getting it doesn’t make you immune? There are zero cases of anyone getting it twice!! We literally will be in an endless depression unless people cop on soon and get on with life. The virus is going no where we need to man up and get on with life around it. Including young people going on a holiday and to parties.

I have come across stories of people getting it twice, unconfirmed though. Man up! That's mature! Endless depression! Where? We still know very little about this virus, but we do know, it's highly contagious, and lethal to some people, including some very fit and healthy people, this is probably one of the most serious viruses we ve ever faced as a species

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I have come across stories of people getting it twice, unconfirmed though. Man up! That's mature! Endless depression! Where? We still know very little about this virus, but we do know, it's highly contagious, and lethal to some people, including some very fit and healthy people, this is probably one of the most serious viruses we ve ever faced as a species

A virus with an IFR rate of under 1% is not one of the most serious humanity has ever faced. Please stop with the hysteria.

A virus with an IFR rate of under 1% is not one of the most serious humanity has ever faced. Please stop with the hysteria.

It'll probably end up in the top 5 of all time by the time its finished. 756,000 dead so far in an era when we understand a lot more about science and have protocols about quarantine.

Some of the worst pandemics like the black death were during times when people didn't understand what was spreading the disease.

Smallpox prevention at one point involved taking pox scabs from a person that died, crushing them up, and then snorting them.

• Advertisement

we re potentially facing a catastrophic global recession due to this virus, many have already died from this, many more are currently fighting for their lives with it, and many that have managed to survive this virus, could be facing the remainder of their lives with serious after effects, theres no hysteria, just our current reality

It'll probably end up in the top 5 of all time by the time its finished. 756,000 dead so far in an era when we understand a lot more about science and have protocols about quarantine.

Some of the worst pandemics like the black death were during times when people didn't understand what was spreading the disease.

Smallpox prevention at one point involved taking pox scabs from a person that died, crushing them up, and then snorting them.

I'm not sure it will.

Black Death killed between 75 – 200 million
    Spanish between 20 - 50 million
    HIV/AIDS around 36 million
    Plague of Justinian around 25 million
    Antonine Plague 5 million
    Asian Flu 2 million

Adjust those for populations at the time and its a far larger percentage than covid.

Now I'm not suggesting covid is not dangerous, it is, and its tragic anyone who's died from it, but I really don't think it's as lethal as it's being made out to be, the science suggests its not.

And as you touched on the scientific knowledge of today, scientists and doctors have learned alot about it since January. Ventilation now seems to be a very last resort, where initially, people were being put on them earlier, and they take a tole on the body, so I imagine, had we known from the beginning, not to rush into ventilation, more would survived. But on the flipside of it, there seems to be good progress being made with vaccines right now, so the sooner the Oxford one, and (Moderna i think) pass their stage 3 trials, the better.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    we re potentially facing a catastrophic global recession due to this virus, many have already died from this, many more are currently fighting for their lives with it, and many that have managed to survive this virus, could be facing the remainder of their lives with serious after effects, theres no hysteria, just our current reality

The recession isn't due to the virus, it's due to lockdowns. When this first came about, lockdowns were introduced to prepare hospitals, to slow the spread, so anyone who did end up needing care, could get it. They were never introduced to eradicate the virus. But somewhere along the lines, that seemed to be the end goal.

And a whole lot of people don't face any serious after effects. Theres not even enough evidence to suggest people will face serious after effects as its not been around long enough to know, anecdotally, I know 10 people who've had it, all in their 20's, none have had any serious side effects. All recovered within 10 days. But at the same time, I'm not denying that there is people who face serious side effects, but this can happen from any virus, the flu can leave someone with long term effects.

The recession isn't due to the virus, it's due to lockdowns. When this first came about, lockdowns were introduced to prepare hospitals, to slow the spread, so anyone who did end up needing care, could get it. They were never introduced to eradicate the virus. But somewhere along the lines, that seemed to be the end goal.

And a whole lot of people don't face any serious after effects. Theres not even enough evidence to suggest people will face serious after effects as its not been around long enough to know, anecdotally, I know 10 people who've had it, all in their 20's, none have had any serious side effects. All recovered within 10 days. But at the same time, I'm not denying that there is people who face serious side effects, but this can happen from any virus, the flu can leave someone with long term effects.

by any chance did the virus trigger the lockdown?

no idea what you re on about in bold!

yup, hopefully majority have little or no serious after effects, but again, we know very little about this virus, but we are learning quickly, so we dont really know what the long term effects are yet, its only been active for a few months now, so thats all we know, we ll be sifting through the data forever on this one, trying to figure it out. yup the normal flu can indeed leave people with serious after effects, but this is a far more serious bugger than the average flu

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Interesting that people would account for things like population expanse but not medical knowledge, being in the information age etc.

The black plague last seven years, the spanish flu 2-3 years, if this lasts 7 years do you reckon the numbers will stay sub 2,000,000 to make your list?

And arguing over whether it ends up in 5th place or 7th place or 10th place is a joke mentality. It's a very serious virus, with potentially catastrophic results for people who get it. Nobody wants the lockdown, but its not for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The "lockdown" was to stop it spreading like wildfire. The reason we have people going about their business now is entirely down to the restrictions put in place then. Without them, we would now have 10 times the number of dead and a population which would be scared to leave the house plus a lot of systemic shortcomings and failures. People who work in logistics for example would be harder hit than a student laying about at home or digs.

You said it yourself - it's not been around long enough to know the side effects legacy, then you quote people who are presumably your peers all young and probably healthy enough as if this were proof of anything regarding the wider population.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

I know someone who tested positive today after coming back from a foreign holiday a week ago and didn't isolate. Plenty of people in contact with this person.

Ridiculous carry on after us doing so well :mad:

Yep! Heard this last night. She was on holiday in Spain, never quarantined and then went on to a few house parties around the city. Clusters are imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I wonder it this the case confirmed for Waterford today or can we expect another case tomorrow now?

Yes that is the case, more to follow

mayordenis wrote: »
    Interesting that people would account for things like population expanse but not medical knowledge, being in the information age etc.

The black plague last seven years, the spanish flu 2-3 years, if this lasts 7 years do you reckon the numbers will stay sub 2,000,000 to make your list?

And arguing over whether it ends up in 5th place or 7th place or 10th place is a joke mentality. It's a very serious virus, with potentially catastrophic results for people who get it. Nobody wants the lockdown, but its not for the craic.

Presumably you're aiming this at me, but I was never the one who brought up whether this was going to be in the top 5 or top 10 or whatever. I was replying to someone who suggested it could be one of the worst we've ever faced, which is factually incorrect.
    The "lockdown" was to stop it spreading like wildfire. The reason we have people going about their business now is entirely down to the restrictions put in place then. Without them, we would now have 10 times the number of dead and a population which would be scared to leave the house plus a lot of systemic shortcomings and failures. People who work in logistics for example would be harder hit than a student laying about at home or digs.

You said it yourself - it's not been around long enough to know the side effects legacy, then you quote people who are presumably your peers all young and probably healthy enough as if this were proof of anything regarding the wider population.

Thats arguable. Nobody will know whether lockdowns are an effective approach to take until the dust settles on all of this. But we've never locked down society to contain a virus before.

Sweden didn't go into a lockdown, albeit, not as strict as other countries have and they were projected to have over 100k deaths because of it, they've had under 6k so far and daily infections are still low compared to April. Yes, there deaths per population are one of the highest right now, but they could come out of this at the end with very similar deaths to other countries who locked down harder.

And tbh, I think people are afraid to leave their house at it is, maybe not as much now as they were a few months back but when you see how many heart attack, stroke and cancer patients admissions are down in the UK, its shocking. I'm not sure what Irelands numbers are like on this. The media have a lot to answer for. Theres been more suicides in Australia this year than covid deaths so far too, which is a crazy statistic. Overdoses in BC, Canada are also hugely on the rise.

On long term effects – absolutely. Its not been around long enough to say there isn't long term effects, that I agree with, but you also can't say there is either for the very same reason. Just from my own personal experience, the people I know haven't, thats all, but that doesn't mean I think nobody does get any from it.

Thats why I brought up the flu, as that can leave people with long term effects but you rarely see people talk about it, if anything, I think this virus has made people forget how deadly the flu actually is, it kills far more children than covid does for example. We just don't really think about the flu like that. Which is ultimately what covid will become imo, just another virus that we have to deal with, albeit with better treatments and a potential vaccine in the pipeline, the people most at risk from it, should stand a better chance going forward.

It's a very complex issue and its hard to say what approach is right just now, maybe lockdowns are the way to go, I don't know, theres positives and negatives to both approaches. But I think we probably should have just protected the vulnerable as much as humanly possible and left the rest of the world carry on. But I understand that was a hard decision to make when this began. Hopefully when this is all said and done, we figure out which is the better way to deal with future pandemics.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Not a green list country, no. And as far as I've been told, contact tracing is ongoing.

I don't really want to be saying much more as don't wish to be inadverdently 'outing' anyone. I would just urge anyone going on a foreign holiday, green country or not, to think long and hard about how it could affect you and those around you.

It's a kick in the teeth for Waterford, especially as we were doing so well is all.

Yes you are correct. Waterford is performing unbelievably well.

However with regards to the green list all these countries have %'s far below Ireland's infection rate. If you decide to holiday or staycate here in Ireland you will be paying top dollar, have no hotel bars or bars w/food that must close by 11pm, unpredictable weather etc. Whereas if you take a country on the list, say Greece, you can get a very cheap flight and because of the fall in numbers travelling this year can get a fantastic hotel or villa to yourself.

I think that if a responsible adult decides to take a trip he or she is entitled to do so. I am not trying to underplay the situation or virus btw. Yes it is very infectious but looking back to March and unsure of what we were facing into looking @ our neighbours in Spain & Italy it looked pretty grim. However, as I said in the beginning we have done pretty well flattening the curve these past 5 months *but* we need to be able to begin to live again.

The economic and not too say mental health consequences will be even more devastating and pronounced if we maintain our current groundhog day lives. There may very well never be a complete vaccine. We have to live with the virus. If Ireland as a country wanted to eradicate Covid completely (impossible) than it needed to close all borders last February. Even New Zealand who did this is currently experiencing an outbreak. We have to protect the vulnerable and move forward. If you would prefer to live a more cautious existence than so be it. But if we as a society and a nation decide to mothball or pause our lives indefinitely than many people will begin to lose their jobs as a result.

Personally, I could not lockdown when the pandemic arrived. I continued to work 9 -to-5 for the duration. I followed the rules and guidance as per the Government's instructions. The 5km then 10km limits. I cleaned my hands and used sanitiser. Maintained a 2m distance when outdoors etc. I now wear a mask where appropriate. I havent left county Waterford since the beginning of Marc. I have not been in a pub or restaurant since mid February. I have kept my close contacts group small. In short I have followed all the rules. But for how long do we have to live austerely? Autumn is fast approaching and thereafter Winter. The peak lockdown period weather of April + May was warm and sunny. How will it feel in mid November on one of those grim Irish Winter days? So if someone opts to go abroad for a week or two and behaves as responsibly then who am I or we to judge them??

• Advertisement

It's worth reiterating that people are currently being asked to be sensible, and to heed the public health advice. The current public health advice is to avoid all non-essential travel abroad.

People are also being reminded to maintain physical distancing, hand hygiene, weak masks in shops etc. - but some people think they know best and will ignore the public health advice.

It's amazing the amount of smart alecks who seem to have gotten PhDs in Biochemistry and Immunology from the University of Google over the last couple of months.

Advertisement