Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Presumably you're aiming this at me, but I was never the one who brought up whether this was going to be in the top 5 or top 10 or whatever. I was replying to someone who suggested it could be one of the worst we've ever faced, which is factually incorrect.

Let's not pretend it's fact that this couldn't be one of the worst contagion that humans have faced.

Again your list has figures from such diseases as HIV which has been a battle for what? 40 years? I'm sorry, this isn't a reasonable argument. It could end up being much worse, hopefully modern medicine will mean that it won't be.

The fact that 8 months into this pandemic it is currently closing in on the 1,000,000 dead mark surely gives you pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

hardybuck wrote: »
    It's worth reiterating that people are currently being asked to be sensible, and to heed the public health advice. The current public health advice is to avoid all non-essential travel abroad.

People are also being reminded to maintain physical distancing, hand hygiene, weak masks in shops etc. - but some people think they know best and will ignore the public health advice.

It's amazing the amount of smart alecks who seem to have gotten PhDs in Biochemistry and Immunology from the University of Google over the last couple of months.

The current public health advice is pretty cautious if you examine it closely. Do you want us all to strictly adhere and become hermits until a possible vaccine is discovered?? If they Govt was a little bit more proactive initially than the virus would not have been imported into the country. Letting all the Italian rugby fans come over for a booze up even though the 6 nations game was cancelled. Letting 30k punters flock over to Cheltenham. Devising a 4 phase plan to the end of August then changing their minds and cutting out and reducing a few phases then changing their minds again and pausing phase 3 because schools are vital yet almost 1 million pupils & staff use these schools and international advice says its okay (watch this space!)
    TBH I reckon if one was to go away to a quiet green listed country you would be at less risk than holidaying in Ireland. Maybe for some people a trip off this island for a week is pretty essential to their well being. No one is disputing the Government's advice per se but there has always been an element of risk in life. What is going to happen when the Government runs out of cash to fund the PUP payments? People need to work in order for an economy to function and to pay their day to day bills, mortgages etc. A lot of the businesses that are currently shut will never re-open. Some of those that are will close due to lack of business and the GP's reluctance to spend.
    Currently (according to the sacred Covid app) Waterford has 166 cases. Thats 166 cases in 6 months. Population of Wfd City & county is approx 116,000. That equates to 0.14% of the population of our county contracted Covid in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The current public health advice is pretty cautious if you examine it closely. Do you want us all to strictly adhere and become hermits until a possible vaccine is discovered?? If they Govt was a little bit more proactive initially than the virus would not have been imported into the country. Letting all the Italian rugby fans come over for a booze up even though the 6 nations game was cancelled. Letting 30k punters flock over to Cheltenham. Devising a 4 phase plan to the end of August then changing their minds and cutting out and reducing a few phases then changing their minds again and pausing phase 3 because schools are vital yet almost 1 million pupils & staff use these schools and international advice says its okay (watch this space!)
    TBH I reckon if one was to go away to a quiet green listed country you would be at less risk than holidaying in Ireland. Maybe for some people a trip off this island for a week is pretty essential to their well being. No one is disputing the Government's advice per se but there has always been an element of risk in life. What is going to happen when the Government runs out of cash to fund the PUP payments? People need to work in order for an economy to function and to pay their day to day bills, mortgages etc. A lot of the businesses that are currently shut will never re-open. Some of those that are will close due to lack of business and the GP's reluctance to spend.
    Currently (according to the sacred Covid app) Waterford has 166 cases. Thats 166 cases in 6 months. Population of Wfd City & county is approx 116,000. That equates to 0.14% of the population of our county contracted Covid in 6 months.

On the one hand you're saying that nobody is disputing the Public Health Advice, but on the other hand your're questioning its merit and its application.

A lot of businesses will never reopen. A lot of people will go into hospitals and come out in a timber box. Both of those terrible realities will be made worse with complacency and people generally getting sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

+1 Registered today report from wednesdays number

How anyone could look at what happened in northern italy early this year and say "fcuk it,we should just chance it",is beyond me

They were literally sending people home to die,and couldnt even collect/bury their dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

hardybuck wrote: »
    It's worth reiterating that people are currently being asked to be sensible, and to heed the public health advice. The current public health advice is to avoid all non-essential travel abroad.

People are also being reminded to maintain physical distancing, hand hygiene, weak masks in shops etc. - but some people think they know best and will ignore the public health advice.

It's amazing the amount of smart alecks who seem to have gotten PhDs in Biochemistry and Immunology from the University of Google over the last couple of months.

Sure they've had loads of free time stuck in this lockdown that they hate so much.

Back in March someone questioned why I was still going to work, I was "mad" to be taking such a risk, their argument about me having rent to pay was "sure just stop paying your rent, it'd take 2 years for them to evict you":rolleyes: (yeah, I'll get right on that, will you represent me in court?). Ironically, I saw this person in a shop yesterday, not wearing a mask and flipping out about being very politely advised by a staff member that he needs to wear a face covering. He was shouting about his rights and this law and that constitution and also claiming he's exempt from wearing a mask because of a medical condition. What a switch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Underdog!

er1983 wrote: »
    Yep! Heard this last night. She was on holiday in Spain, never quarantined and then went on to a few house parties around the city. Clusters are imminent.

I'd like to know where you got your information from?

I know people who have been contacted by the contact tracing teams. Your information is not all correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

How anyone could look at what happened in northern italy early this year and say "fcuk it,we should just chance it",is beyond me

They were literally sending people home to die,and couldnt even collect/bury their dead

Is it too much to ask that the powers that be are intelligent enough to learn from the Italian experience and are able to look after the elderly and vulnerable without closing down the whole country?
    We need an economy to pay for all our services. I for one have zero interest in living in 1950s style poverty, which is what we are facing into if we don't open up and get people out and about spending and earning again.
    If we're not already too later for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is it too much to ask that the powers that be are intelligent enough to learn from the Italian experience and are able to look after the elderly and vulnerable without closing down the whole country? We need an economy to pay for all our services. I for one have zero interest in living in 1950s style poverty, which is what we are facing into if we don't open up and get people out and about spending and earning again. If we're not already too later for that.

Public sector institutions and central banks, have the ability to prevent such things, as central banks can never run out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Public sector institutions and central banks, have the ability to prevent such things, as central banks can never run out of money.

Well they certainly didn't do it during the last recession or the one before that. No idea why you think they will do it for the next one, no evidence whatsoever to support your assertions.

• Advertisement

Well they certainly didn't do it during the last recession or the one before that. No idea why you think they will do it for the next one, no evidence whatsoever to support your assertions.

er emm, but they did, in the form of qe, er emm, theyre at it again now!:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

My understanding of economics is ... ropey. But surely QE in this particular situation is a no brained: FIAT currency isn't backed by gold or attached to any hard value. It's value is relative and from a quick look around almost all major powers are engaged in QE at the same time, so while printing cash debases the currency, if everyone else is also debasing theirs, in relative terms you end up no worse off.

My understanding of economics is ... ropey. But surely QE in this particular situation is a no brained: FIAT currency isn't backed by gold or attached to any hard value. It's value is relative and from a quick look around almost all major powers are engaged in QE at the same time, so while printing cash debases the currency, if everyone else is also debasing theirs, in relative terms you end up no worse off.

tis complicated alright, and im wondering does anyone truly understand how it really works, because i cant make head nor tails of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In the end all an economy needs is people making, selling and buying and consuming things. The how and why of the money supply is not worth spending any time thinking about.

In the end all an economy needs is people making, selling and buying and consuming things. The how and why of the money supply is not worth spending any time thinking about.

Oh God it is, ever wondered how we ended up in the last mess, twas money in the form of 'credit', hence the term 'credit crisis'

Credit is a positive though. It's when fear kicks in and credit is not taken up by consumers/not offered as freely by institutions we enter depression/recession cycles.

Only 2 ways I see to fix it that I can see:

Governments backed by the ECB/The Fed support lines of credit/cash supply in an attempt to maintain/drive up consumption. (This is what is currently happening).

We completely change the way we measure economic performance ie: Only endless consumption & growth is acceptable. (Not likely to happen in my lifetime).

Credit is a positive though. It's when fear kicks in and credit is not taken up by consumers/not offered as freely by institutions we enter depression/recession cycles.

Another major part a few years ago, and is probably currently occuring, so this could start going south, very very soon, unfortunately

No increase in todays numbers on gov.ie but looks like there will be in the next few days
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1294683048991166472?s=20

spookwoman wrote:
    No increase in todays numbers on gov.ie but looks like there will be in the next few days

That's some jump, seems to be a lot of confusion regarding waterford, has there been any cases here today?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That's some jump, seems to be a lot of confusion regarding waterford, has there been any cases here today?

The county reports are 2 days behind on gov.ie, the reports that are released by the news (chambers) are from today or yesterday so hense the discrepancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

no cases today in Waterford thankfully

Government meeting with nphet today and rumour mill turning a lot, heard
    Countrywide lockdown part 2
    Food Pubs to be closed
    Schools not opening as planned

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Long time lurker both feel the need to post.

Have it on good authority that GPs are being inundated with COVID calls. From what I have heard from this ‘front line’ source is that a single person who tested positive then went on to attend multiple house parties instead of self isolating.

I just feel the need to pass on this information for people to stay safe.

Expect a surge....

Bring back flogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

A couple of sporting clubs and at least two businesses on lock down in the city, does not sound too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

crazyman wrote: »

Have it on good authority that GPs are being inundated with COVID calls. From what I have heard from this ‘front line’ source is that a single person who tested positive then went on to attend multiple house parties instead of self isolating.

Expect a surge....

Are the army being deployed from midnight?

I think the Farranshoneen area if the hub map has had an increase since the the other day Pretty sure it was 19 and no its 20

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

spookwoman wrote: »
    I think the Farranshoneen area if the hub map has had an increase since the the other day Pretty sure it was 19 and no its 20

Where can the hub map be found?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

crazyman wrote: »

Expect a surge....

or to spread misinformation.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Cabaal wrote: »
    or to spread misinformation.
    :rolleyes:

Heard the same through my work. Would be delighted if it's misinformation but sadly I don't believe so.

Advertisement