Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

While I'm no fan of Cummins and think his actions are wrong, I think much of the personal abuse is over the top.

In this era of gotcha culture and online trolling nobody in their right mind would go into public life.

If you ever wondered why you don't many decent quality candidates - consider how we hound people when they eventually make a mistake, and even when they don't they're still having the backs cut off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote:
    In this era of gotcha culture and online trolling nobody in their right mind would go into public life.

Completely agree, it's probably the ****test job you could do, they earn their money from the abuse alone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

hardybuck wrote: »
    While I'm no fan of Cummins and think his actions are wrong, I think much of the personal abuse is over the top.

If you ever wondered why you don't many decent quality candidates - consider how we hound people when they eventually make a mistake, and even when they don't they're still having the backs cut off them.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Completely agree, it's probably the ****test job you could do, they earn their money from the abuse alone

What's the view like from up there boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Christ, the stench of irony from that comment is unreal.

The young man made a grave error in his personal time which has impacted his current employment (he's lost the party whip) and future employment.

Nobody deserves to be bullied and trolled. At best it'll put people off public life, at worst someone might self harm.

I'll leave it at that.

Pretty good actually, tis great being up this high
    hardybuck wrote:
    Nobody deserves to be bullied and trolled. At best it'll put people off public life, at worst someone might self harm.

I'm no fan of cummins or fg for that matter, but they don't deserve the abuse, it really is a sh1t job, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole

• Advertisement

Christ, the stench of irony from that comment is unreal.

The young man made a grave error in his personal time which has impacted his current employment (he's lost the party whip) and future employment.

I'll leave it at that.

Not for a second am I suggesting that anyone should be abused and for the most part the comments on this thread are relatively mild, given the backlash on other platforms.

Anyone in public life should expect negative comments in the face of their blatently negative actions.

If anyone feels the need to self harm over the level of comment on this thread, as you suggest, then I say they are not only not suitable for a career in public office but that they may have underlying mental health issues which need addressing.

Or maybe you are just using that notion to try stop people expressing their views of a politician's actions through negative comments?

However, this thread is about the Corona Virus in Waterford and eventhough I think Mr. Cummins actions demonstrate a fatal error in judgement for his own career. His actions are not likely to increase the spread of the virus in Waterford.

Speaking of which, anecdotal news this morning of at least 4 new suspected cases in the manufacturing section of one of the big factories in Waterford.

Speaking of which, anecdotal news this morning of at least 4 new suspected cases in the manufacturing section of one of the big factories in Waterford.

Any word which one?

Any word which one?

Yes but I really shouldn't say as I just heard from one of the workers who finished shift earlier so nothing really confirmed.

PM sent

Yes but I really shouldn't say as I just heard from one of the workers who finished shift earlier so nothing really confirmed.

What a cnut of a virus, it's making work impossible for many

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

What a cnut of a virus, it's making work impossible for many

Yeah, if anything it is a scarier virus than it was at the start of the pandemic now more is known about it. People who had it are reporting serious problems five and six months later and younger people are not as low risk as they like to think. The whole “flu that will pass” is turning out to be a bit of a fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

BBM77 wrote: »
    Yeah, if anything it is a scarier virus than it was at the start of the pandemic now more is known about it. People who had it are reporting serious problems five and six months later and younger people are not as low risk as they like to think. The whole “flu that will pass” is turning out to be a bit of a fantasy.

Just wait until the kids go back to school spread it around to each other, then go home spread it to their parents, then the parents unwittingly go to work & start spreading it in there. Since you can have it for 2 weeks before showing symptoms it will definitely happen. Especially if what they say about kids getting it mild means you mightn't even realise they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Junior

jopax wrote: »
    Just wait until the kids go back to school spread it around to each other, then go home spread it to their parents, then the parents unwittingly go to work & start spreading it in there. Since you can have it for 2 weeks before showing symptoms it will definitely happen. Especially if what they say about kids getting it mild means you mightn't even realise they have it.

Hearing of a Creche in Dunmore Road having a +ve for a kid and the staff are being tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

This thread is about Covid. Clr. John Cummins broke his Government's rules on the prevention of said virus. I think most people would agree he made more than a minor 'mistake'. He has also gone to ground and refused to engage with the media save for a standard "apology" on Facebook. He promised to go on Deise FM for an interview but has vanished into thin air. I have not engaged in any personal abuse of the man but would love to hear him justify his actions. He made the decision to travel up and back to Clifden. He chose to enter the hotel and enjoy the occasion. Reading between the line I believe he thought he would get away with it considering the company he was wineing and dining with.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Roanmore wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out how Waterford Council can prevent him? It’s up to the people who represent them.

https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/customer-care/Code-of-Conduct-for-Councillors.pdf

But as you say WCCC Councillors are directly elected by the local community the people have the power to not re-elect Mr Cummins next time out. Seeing that Leo Varadkar removed the party whip from Mr Cummins he is essentially an quasi-independent at present. Don't know if he will lose his position in the Seanad but give the fallout of Golfgate he will probably get a rough ride either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/customer-care/Code-of-Conduct-for-Councillors.pdf

But as you say WCCC Councillors are directly elected by the local community the people have the power to not re-elect Mr Cummins next time out. Seeing that Leo Varadkar removed the party whip from Mr Cummins he is essentially an quasi-independent at present. Don't know if he will lose his position in the Seanad but give the fallout of Golfgate he will probably get a rough ride either way.

Patronising much?

I'm well aware of the code of conduct but you said they should seek his removal from ever standing for public office again, I asked you how does that work?
    What law do they use?

Where does it stop? What other offences should we add to the list which would prevent people ever standing for public office again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Junior wrote: »
    Hearing of a Creche in Dunmore Road having a +ve for a kid and the staff are being tested.

Hope it's not the one on the estate where I live

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

But schools will be grand....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

6 in for waterford today in the press briefing

will show up tomorrow or day after on gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Murmers of 6 new cases in Waterford?

But schools will be grand....

Exactly it's some joke just like mehole Martin, some people are going to get very sick, it's just a big gamble now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They've got to go back at some point, a whole generation is going to be somewhat stunted if there is no return to school soon.

They've got to go back at some point, a whole generation is going to be somewhat stunted if there is no return to school soon.

They do need to go back to school but my problem is the timing. I don't want to have my kids at home, I would much prefer them to be at school. I am well aware of what they are missing out on academically & socially.
    My preference would be to start them back but part time until they see how this virus fairs out in the schools. I have 3 kids going to 3 different schools & I just don't fancy the odds of no breakouts in any of the schools. If 1 of my kids get it, the other 2 will get it, they have the potential to go in & spread it around the other schools.
    They panicked back in March & closed the schools in haste. Now the virus is starting to pick up, the winter is coming & I just feel afraid that it is going to spread too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

jopax wrote: »
    They do need to go back to school but my problem is the timing. I don't want to have my kids at home, I would much prefer them to be at school. I am well aware of what they are missing out on academically & socially.
    My preference would be to start them back but part time until they see how this virus fairs out in the schools. I have 3 kids going to 3 different schools & I just don't fancy the odds of no breakouts in any of the schools. If 1 of my kids get it, the other 2 will get it, they have the potential to go in & spread it around the other schools.
    They panicked back in March & closed the schools in haste. Now the virus is starting to pick up, the winter is coming & I just feel afraid that it is going to spread too quickly.

Having your Cake and eating it comes to mind......lots predicted a massive spike following the first relaxation of restrictions on May 18th and it didn’t happen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Having your Cake and eating it comes to mind......lots predicted a massive spike following the first relaxation of restrictions on May 18th and it didn’t happen.....

Exactly, mass panic due to scare mongering by some politicians and media. This particular thread has certainly got its fair share of fearful types.

Big Phil exit stage left........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Never understand why they are told to/allowed to resign. Sack them like they deserve sand let the CV/rep get trashed to fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

At least he knows he will always get a warm welcome in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Picky owner

Exactly, mass panic due to scare mongering by some politicians and media. This particular thread has certainly got its fair share of fearful types.

Time will tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Junior

dzilla wrote: »
    At least he knows he will always get a warm welcome in Waterford.

Burning him on a stake is a warm welcome, right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Burning him on a stake is a warm welcome, right ?

Either way him going is not gonna fix it for everyone, like they seem to think it is!

Advertisement