Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭AUDI20

They government really need to stop releasing these daily numbers we've been getting them non-stop since March and some people have become obsessed with them they should just release a weekly percentage ,thankfully everything is returning to normal now and the majority of us are just getting on with things and living with covid, how long are people willing to live in fear?,forever judging by some on here.

That might be your view on it, but the daily figures are important to gauge how the virus is spreading and where, yes at the end of the week we end up with a more average figure. Everything is not returning to normal as we know it, get use to the new normal with certain restrictions as it going to be with us for a while.I have yet to meet or hear of anybody living in fear!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/09/16/another-confirmed-covid-19-case-at-city-secondary-school/#.X2Kh1hgo8zR

Confirmed case in Ursuline now too and by all accounts plenty complaints from residents in the area of students congregating in large numbers in/outside local shops etc.

Theres more than just a meat factory outbreak. It's going to be a long winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/09/16/another-confirmed-covid-19-case-at-city-secondary-school/#.X2Kh1hgo8zR

Confirmed case in Ursuline now too and by all accounts plenty complaints from residents in the area of students congregating in large numbers in/outside local shops etc.

Theres more than just a meat factory outbreak. It's going to be a long winter.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/17/falling-flu-rates-in-southern-hemisphere-offers-hope-as-winter-approaches-coronavirus

The experience in the southern hemispheres winter has been very low numbers of flu because of all the mask wearing and social distancing. Hopefully the same will happen during the northern hemispheres winter and the double whammy of COVID-19 and flu won’t come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

The Granary Cafe closed atm for a deep clean have a confirmed case with one of their staff.

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/17/falling-flu-rates-in-southern-hemisphere-offers-hope-as-winter-approaches-coronavirus

The experience in the southern hemispheres winter has been very low numbers of flu because of all the mask wearing and social distancing. Hopefully the same will happen during the northern hemispheres winter and the double whammy of COVID-19 and flu won’t come to pass.

You haven't seen inside an Irish school lately I'm guessing? There is no comparison between countries who implemented social distancing fully and in the case of New Zealand/Australia their policies are actually zero CoVid, and the route we are currently taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Not at all surprised about Dawn meats. Larry Goodman couldn't give a ****.

Larry Goodman doesn't own Dawn Meats

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

Dawn Meats release statement

In a different article released, they said they can confirm that Dawn Meats Beef plant in Grannagh has a “significant” cluster of Covid-19 cases with numbers believed to be between “at least 30”.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

AUDI20 wrote: »
    That might be your view on it, but the daily figures are important to gauge how the virus is spreading and where, yes at the end of the week we end up with a more average figure. Everything is not returning to normal as we know it, get use to the new normal with certain restrictions as it going to be with us for a while.I have yet to meet or hear of anybody living in fear!!

With regards to numbers & figures I defer to Mr Homer Simpson "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. 40% of all people know that"
    . TBH things are a lot more normal than they were in Mar/Apr. As for the phrase "new normal" the less said the better. PR & spin.

At the height of the pandemic in April there was 1,068 ppl hospitalised [15 Apr].
    As of yesterday [17 Sep] there was 76! Do the maths:rolleyes:

The present Govt are making a balls of communicating full stop. And this is inducing fear/anxiety in those at risk. Some think we are on the road {cue. horror movie music} to a second lockdown! Where would that leave us?

If you want to look or listen to the daily teatime figures go right ahead. bathe in the misery and fear. But as you do why not consider the following : the daily deaths from suicide, cancer, alcohol abuse, road accidents etc. Also take a look at the huge increase in domestic violence since the pandemic kicked in. Or what about the lasting indelible effects on people's mental health, especially children. The current focus or narrative on Covid is wrong and its dangerous. Over the past few weeks Doctors called for the "utterly meaningless daily figures" to be dropped calling them a “self-perpetuating cycle of misery” and is causing huge anxiety.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-doctors-call-for-utterly-meaningless-daily-figures-to-be-dropped-1.4346550
    Even our Tanaiste Leo Varakar said “We need to maybe not obsess about the number of cases every day. I think some people are getting a little terrorised by that.” The Tánaiste said there is also a need to hear a bit more “common sense”.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/varadkar-daily-covid-numbers-5195709-Sep2020/

It's a free world and people can choose to follow whatever path they deem correct. Wash your hands, sanitize, wear a mask where required, limit contacts. Stay safe... and most of all enjoy yourselves! :pac:

With regards to numbers & figures I defer to Mr Homer Simpson "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. 40% of all people know that"
    . TBH things are a lot more normal than they were in Mar/Apr. As for the phrase "new normal" the less said the better. PR & spin.

At the height of the pandemic in April there was 1,068 ppl hospitalised [15 Apr].

The present Govt are making a balls of communicating full stop. And this is inducing fear/anxiety in those at risk. Some think we are on the road {cue. horror movie music} to a second lockdown! Where would that leave us?

If you want to look or listen to the daily teatime figures go right ahead. bathe in the misery and fear. But as you do why not consider the following : the daily deaths from suicide, cancer, alcohol abuse, road accidents etc. Also take a look at the huge increase in domestic violence since the pandemic kicked in. Or what about the lasting indelible effects on people's mental health, especially children. The current focus or narrative on Covid is wrong and its dangerous. Over the past few weeks Doctors called for the "utterly meaningless daily figures" to be dropped calling them a “self-perpetuating cycle of misery” and is causing huge anxiety.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-doctors-call-for-utterly-meaningless-daily-figures-to-be-dropped-1.4346550
    Even our Tanaiste Leo Varakar said “We need to maybe not obsess about the number of cases every day. I think some people are getting a little terrorised by that.” The Tánaiste said there is also a need to hear a bit more “common sense”.

It's a free world and people can choose to follow whatever path they deem correct. Wash your hands, sanitize, wear a mask where required, limit contacts. Stay safe... and most of all enjoy yourselves! :pac:

I am actually inclined to agree (with some of this), been thinking that way lately. A lot of the thinking seems to be based on a fantasy of kicking the can down the road with lockdowns until a vaccine is developed. The reality is a vaccine may never be developed, even if one is it will take years to manufacture enough and then vaccinate the 9 billion people on the planet. A pandemic by nature will keep going until the virus infects everybody it can. To me it is starting to look fanciful and arrogant to think we can just stop a pandemic in its tracks. Sometimes you just have to let what will be will be and protect yourself the best you can. Having lockdowns and putting hundreds of thousands of people out of work does not really make sense when it is not really fixing the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I am actually inclined to agree (with some of this), been thinking that way lately. A lot of the thinking seems to be based on a fantasy of kicking the can down the road with lockdowns until a vaccine is developed. The reality is a vaccine may never be developed, even if one is it will take years to manufacture enough and then vaccinate the 9 billion people on the planet. A pandemic by nature will keep going until the virus infects everybody it can. To me it is starting to look fanciful and arrogant to think we can just stop a pandemic in its tracks. Sometimes you just have to let what will be will be and protect yourself the best you can.

some levels of protection are required though, this virus is very new, we still have a lot to learn about it, but we are learning quickly, precaution is critical right now, and mistakes will be made in trying to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

The Granary has a case, they are closed now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

The daily numbers are not helpful because they fluctuate so much each day and while you might have hope that a relatively low daily tally might mean something, that hope is dashed the following day. I would prefer if they released a daily 7-day or 14-day moving average so that we can properly see a curve develop or diminish.

Also, consistently telling us that our cases per 100,000 is higher than other countries is not helpful either. All countries are not testing to a standard practice, so 40.1 might actually be worse than 50.1 depending on how they're testing.

The main thing is to look after yourself and those around you and the rest will hopefully take care of itself eventually.

gscully wrote: »
    The daily numbers are not helpful because they fluctuate so much each day and while you might have hope that a relatively low daily tally might mean something, that hope is dashed the following day. I would prefer if they released a daily 7-day or 14-day moving average so that we can properly see a curve develop or diminish.

Also, consistently telling us that our cases per 100,000 is higher than other countries is not helpful either. All countries are not testing to a standard practice, so 40.1 might actually be worse than 50.1 depending on how they're testing.

The main thing is to look after yourself and those around you and the rest will hopefully take care of itself eventually.

i think its best to keep reporting the daily figures, i understand its unintentionally inducing anxieties, but for the moment, its probably best to do so

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    some levels of protection are required though, this virus is very new, we still have a lot to learn about it, but we are learning quickly, precaution is critical right now, and mistakes will be made in trying to do so

Of course, but we had extreme precautions that have not solved the problem. It could be argued all they did was drag the problem out. I think everybody wearing facemasks in shops etc have done more good than the extreme lockdowns ever did.

Of course, but we had extreme precautions that have not solved the problem. It could be argued all they did was drag the problem out.

possibly, but i still think potential over precaution, is a far better approach, if we have a significant rise in serious cases heading into winter, our health services may not be able to truly handle it, many infected health care workers, are still not back in work, our health care system is heading into winter, with reduced capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If figures were published less frequently Waterford would be getting a big surprise at the end of this week.

All of a sudden we'd be hearing about this big number that came out of nowhere and we'd be saying we'd have changed our behaviour if only we'd known about it. Or alternatively people would be spreading rumours that they'd heard about a big increase and we'd be giving out that the information was being kept from us.

This is deadly serious and we need to be armed with the most up to date information to help inform our response to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

These people in meat factories have being treated like crap. Bussed into the factory in a crowded bus. Stephen Donnelly gets a covid test and the whole cabinet resign and Dail adjourned. There's such a discrepancy in how some people are being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

These people in meat factories have being treated like crap. Bussed into the factory in a crowded bus. Stephen Donnelly gets a covid test and the whole cabinet resign and Dail adjourned. There's such a discrepancy in how some people are being treated.

I've no problem whatsoever with the test for the Minister for Health being prioritised. Not only did it impact him but the whole Cabinet and a range of senior officials - the consequences of a positive test are pretty dire so that needed to be sorted immediately.

However I'd also agree that the staff in the meat factories should be treated better. I think a lot of this is down to their employers who have always treated them poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

hardybuck wrote: »
    I've no problem whatsoever with the test for the Minister for Health being prioritised. Not only did it impact him but the whole Cabinet and a range of senior officials - the consequences of a positive test are pretty dire so that needed to be sorted immediately.

However I'd also agree that the staff in the meat factories should be treated better. I think a lot of this is down to their employers who have always treated them poorly.

I agree that Donelly and government did the right thing, but it's quite glaring that the appropriate protocol isn't being adhered to in a number of meat processing factories and seemed Dawn meats wanted this to slip under the radar .

• Advertisement

...this simply isnt possible, as we re all in this together!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

If you don't want to see the daily figures, don't look at them...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

If you don't want to see the daily figures, don't look at them...

Hard if not impossible to do with the blanket coverage in the media and if you have a conversation or speak with anyone! The only way to avoid this would be to cocoon yourself until the storm has passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

I swear to god that if we go back a leve due to this
    meat factory cluster, I'll turn vegetarian 😤

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

St Paul's secondary has a confirmed case

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

aziz wrote: »
    I swear to god that if we go back a leve due to this
    meat factory cluster, I'll turn vegetarian 😀

Won't turn vegetarian but I'll be very pissed off

I want to live my life, I'm and will always take the precautions of hand sanitisation, washing, social distancing, mask wearing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭AUDI20

If you want to look or listen to the daily teatime figures go right ahead. bathe in the misery and fear. But as you do why not consider the following : the daily deaths from suicide, cancer, alcohol abuse, road accidents etc. Also take a look at the huge increase in domestic violence since the pandemic kicked in. Or what about the the daily deaths from suicide, cancer, alcohol abuse, road accidents etc, especially children. The current focus or narrative on Covid is wrong and its dangerous. Over the past few weeks Doctors called for the "utterly meaningless daily figures" to be dropped calling them a “self-perpetuating cycle of misery” and is causing huge anxiety.

Two weeks ago there was only 12 in Hospital now there is 76 thats a 6x increase in two weeks , do the maths? the daily deaths from suicide, cancer, alcohol abuse, road accidents etc were there even before Covid-19 arrived but the virus has but an extra level to this. I do agree with your on the increase on domestic violence but that is more a reflection on the person's involved in such violence rather than on the virus. As for the mental health situation its well recognised that was a problem well before the virus arrived but would agree the current situation hasn't helped and probably has added to it.The big issue is that the virus is getting out of control again and that is a huge worry, even the UK had to reintroduce strict measures in the North just today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The virus does not just pop up and suddenly infect people. someone infected has to be bring it in and that someone got if from another person. A lot of these infections are down to people not following the advice given out. We know people going into work with sniffles and possible covid and they won't get tested. People need to cop on and stop being selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

spookwoman wrote: »
    The virus does not just pop up and suddenly infect people. someone infected has to be bring it in and that someone got if from another person. A lot of these infections are down to people not following the advice given out. We know people going into work with sniffles and possible covid and they won't get tested. People need to cop on and stop being selfish.

No, but the virus can remain airborne long enough to infect someone who is out for a stroll and as many are asymptomatic, they don't even know they are bringing it into work with them. Let's not add to the stigma. There are many very innocent victims in all this.

• Advertisement

I love my meat but the meat plants have been taking the piss all throughout this. Awful environment and awful employers by the look of it. Would nearly go veggie just to spite the baxtards that own them.

Advertisement