Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm eating less and less meat these days, I can't quite believe I could end up an actual vegetarian but I'm heading towards "demi-veg". My younger self would be appalled. trouble is one sniff of a cured rasher and I'm anyone's...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭AUDI20

gscully wrote: »
    No, but the virus can remain airborne long enough to infect someone who is out for a stroll and as many are asymptomatic, they don't even know they are bringing it into work with them. Let's not add to the stigma. There are many very innocent victims in all this.

This is totally unproven. haven't heard of any cluster yet from an outside event etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gscully wrote: »
    No, but the virus can remain airborne long enough to infect someone who is out for a stroll and as many are asymptomatic, they don't even know they are bringing it into work with them. Let's not add to the stigma. There are many very innocent victims in all this.

the chances of getting infected when out for "a stroll" are low and again even if asymptomatic you still have to get the virus from someone else. If someone who knows they could possibly have the virus and still goes to work is selfish. They are endangering other people with their actions.
    We saw how it spread at the start when the family came back from Italy and the hospital gave the green light to continue working. All it takes is one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Those Beef Barons are bastards

Another 15 cases.

• Advertisement

9 yesterday

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

spookwoman wrote: »
    9 yesterday

Wasn’t 9 the reported figure yesterday?

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Wasn’t 9 the reported figure yesterday?

Have noticed they sometimes change like the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

jopax wrote: »
    St Paul's secondary has a confirmed case

Do you have any more information about that case?

My child goes there and I got a text this afternoon from them saying they have spoken to the HSE and they have confirmed that there is no close contact of Covid-19 in St. Paul's and that there's no increased risk to the school at this time. My child told me there was a big meeting in the school this morning and that they had been doing contact tracing activities a few days ago, not fully sure on the details but that's what I gathered from what was described.

Seems like shady wording if it is in fact confirmed there's a case in St. Paul's :(

Edit: Just found the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My child goes there and I got a text this afternoon from them saying they have spoken to the HSE and they have confirmed that there is no close contact of Covid-19 in St. Paul's and that there's no increased risk to the school at this time. My child told me there was a big meeting in the school this morning and that they had been doing contact tracing activities a few days ago, not fully sure on the details but that's what I gathered from what was described.

Seems like shady wording if it is in fact confirmed there's a case in St. Paul's :(

ive been given a name from st pauls alright, but id just be careful with all schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This town and rumours

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This town and rumours

ah shur every town really, wouldnt surprise me if this ends up in every school eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭AUDI20

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This town and rumours
    There will be a lot not happy with you calling it a Town!!

AUDI20 wrote:
    There will be a lot not happy with you calling it a Town!!

True, tis really waterford village!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I don't have children so I don't know anything about this but, is it normal for the school to be communicating stuff relating to covid19 directly to children? You said your child told you there was a "big meeting" and that the school have been doing contact tracing but you're not fully sure on the details. Is that normal? I would have thought that the school has a duty to you as a parent to keep you fully informed and not get secondhand partial information from your child.

I don't have children so I don't know anything about this but, is it normal for the school to be communicating stuff relating to covid19 directly to children? You said your child told you there was a "big meeting" and that the school have been doing contact tracing but you're not fully sure on the details. Is that normal? I would have thought that the school has a duty to you as a parent to keep you fully informed and not get secondhand partial information from your child.

I'd like to think the school is waiting to get its facts right, before announcing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Tbf if you have a 1000 plus students its unrealistic to expect principal to ring all.the parents

Though a letter,to bring home should be given to the students

A text message would be even better! Set up a group on Whats App as by the way things are going the Principals are gonna be busy with this lark for the foreseeable future. The schools are only back a couple of weeks and the majority of the schools have had cases.

A text message would be even better! Set up a group on Whats App as by the way things are going the Principals are gonna be busy with this lark for the foreseeable future. The schools are only back a couple of weeks and the majority of the schools have had cases.

oh id say whatsapp would get messy, maybe basic text messages and a letter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Most schools have auto text systems already in place. It would be heading toward negligence to not at least send a short informative text to parents.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    oh id say whatsapp would get messy, maybe basic text messages and a letter

Even messier than a carrier pigeon?? :pac::pac:

I for one am delighted that I completed school & college by the end of the 90's. There is so much BS and red tape in today's world that you would almost need a BA in BS! And I'd say there isn't much craic in the classroom or schoolyard with the rise of PC. People are way too sensitive in the modern world.

• Advertisement

Even messier than a carrier pigeon?? :pac::pac:

I for one am delighted that I completed school & college by the end of the 90's. There is so much BS and red tape in today's world that you would almost need a BA in BS! And I'd say there isn't much craic in the classroom or schoolyard with the rise of PC. People are way too sensitive in the modern world.

oh i hear you, we re of the same vintage, school now sounds absolutely dreadful, but to be fair, kids will always be kids, and thank god, as us adults do tend to be fairly boring at times, im sure theres still messing going on, it might just be a little different to our days

oh i hear you, we re of the same vintage, school now sounds absolutely dreadful, but to be fair, kids will always be kids, and thank god, as us adults do tend to be fairly boring at times, im sure theres still messing going on, it might just be a little different to our days

:pac::pac: The schoolyards on the 80's were certainly not for the faint hearted. Graduating to the big school (secondary) was even more eye opening. Fun times. Sure there would always be the odd total head-da-ball but once you gave them a wide berth you could live in relative harmony. You are right kids are kids and messing will always happen but as you say it would be a lot tamer than the stuff I encountered on a daily basis back in the day. The only negative about today would be the online bullying either via text or social media. That stuff is toxic.

:pac::pac: The schoolyards on the 80's were certainly not for the faint hearted. Graduating to the big school (secondary) was even more eye opening. Fun times. Sure there would always be the odd total head-da-ball but once you gave them a wide berth you could live in relative harmony. You are right kids are kids and messing will always happen but as you say it would be a lot tamer than the stuff I encountered on a daily basis back in the day. The only negative about today would be the online bullying either via text or social media. That stuff is toxic.

the older im getting, the more head-da-balls i want in life, those folks are just nuts, and damn funny to be around, they definitely made school fun, this pc crap is a load of sh1te, oh and the internets is rotten to the core, it brings the worse out in all of us

"Have I told you lately" that Van Morrison is fighting the cause of the cocoon brigade...

https://www.thejournal.ie/van-morrison-covid-songs-5208174-Sep2020/

Although when you realise the "cyprus avenue" he has driven down maybe he should join the cuckoo brigade. He may never have seen "days like this" but the "sweet thing" seems to be "real real gone" in the head from the continuing pandemic. Himself and Jim Corr should do a duet. Christmas No 1 anyone?? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

ah shur every town really, wouldnt surprise me if this ends up in every school eventually

I can't see how it won't spread, obviously I hope it doesn't but the possibility is there.
    Like the primary school in Kildare they closed due to it spreading, I don't buy into all this young children can't spread it business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

jopax wrote: »
    I can't see how it won't spread, obviously I hope it doesn't but the possibility is there.
    Like the primary school in Kildare they closed due to it spreading, I don't buy into all this young children can't spread it business.

Don't think anyone is claiming they CAN'T spread it.

It's that all the evidence available so far would suggest that's it's harder for them to contract it, and if they do it's less likely that they transmit it.
    So on both the receiving and giving sides, chances are less than in adults. Combine those two features to create SIGNIFICANTLY less chances than in adults.

But noone saying it's zero afaik.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Don't think anyone is claiming they CAN'T spread it.

It's that all the evidence available so far would suggest that's it's harder for them to contract it, and if they do it's less likely that they transmit it.
    So on both the receiving and giving sides, chances are less than in adults. Combine those two features to create SIGNIFICANTLY less chances than in adults.

But noone saying it's zero afaik.

Its the headline story of the entire pandemic: nobody know WTF is going on! :pac::pac::pac: The Government are making it up as they go along. The narrative changes by the day if not the hour. Ministers contradicting each other. The doomsayers scientists in one corner shouting at every media outlet as loud as they can to spread the fear. Keep the constant media misery going. In the other corner reasonably optimistic commentators are shot down and accused of treason because they question the authority of the Govt/NPHET. Yet self same Govt, like the 6 o'clock Angelus of old, give us our daily dose of statistics yet don't elaborate except to say "we are @ another tipping point... Im extremely concerned if.. etc etc.". We have become a nation of ghoulish beancounters. Surely everybody has a PhD in epidemiology by now. My fingerprints have vanished due to overwashing and sanitising :pac: Walking through the supermarket I peer out over my facemask and all I can see are other peoples eyes (mostly). What a life? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

To be fair, the ability to only see their eyes has improved the appearance of most Irish people in my experience.

• Advertisement

To be fair, the ability to only see their eyes has improved the appearance of most Irish people in my experience.

They could even walk down the catwalk with the addition of a pair of shades and a hat :cool:

Advertisement