Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

spookwoman wrote: »
    another 7 in waterford today

I have a bad feeling that tomorrow the numbers could be horrific,just hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

spookwoman wrote: »
    another 7 in waterford today

Hopefully not because of the usual weekend lull, tomorrow will be interesting, the numbers for Waterford seem to have stabilised over the last few days, but the soundings coming out from the government seem to be stating otherwise.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not too bad tbh

I think we only need 7 and over to be knocked down a level

aziz wrote: »

That's possible, but they also look at the previous two weeks, bear in mind also, Dawn Meats were only tested Friday, so in all likelihood those cases if any wont have been released yet.

I've also heard of an outbreak in a local sportswear supplier, won't be too hard to work out where! For Suree!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

jimbojazz wrote: »
    bear in mind also, Dawn Meats were only tested Friday, so in all likelihood those cases if any wont have been released yet.

A lot of dawn meats staff would have been tested (in Granagh anyway) over the last 2 weeks. It's not like they did almost 400 tests on Friday last.

But as has been said, doesn't take too many cases to keep our "cases per 100,000" number above what's needed to push us to level 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kuang1 wrote: »
    A lot of dawn meats staff would have been tested (in Granagh anyway) over the last 2 weeks. It's not like they did almost 400 tests on Friday last.

But as has been said, doesn't take too many cases to keep our "cases per 100,000" number above what's needed to push us to level 3.

its granny, ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its granny, ffs!

Agus as gaeilge?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

****ing crazy

kuang1 wrote: »

Fair enough, thought I read here they were done Friday

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

674 positive swabs over the weekend, only 188 cases today, there's a huge number coming tomorrow on all fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

its granny, ffs!

Its Grannagh!!

its granny, ffs!

nannie!
    Sprites wrote: »
    Its Grannagh!!

feck off now you, this is waterford, tis granny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

What are they not telling us about why meat factory workers are getting covid much more than any other people?

I want to know why and what are they doing to prevent it?

It all seems so cloak and dagger about it, explain properly to people why these workers have been infected and how to stop it!

reni10 wrote: »
    What are they not telling us about why meat factory workers are getting covid much more than any other people?

It all seems so cloak and dagger about it, explain properly to people why these workers have been infected and how to stop it!

possible due to the poor working practices in the sector, they may not want to open a can of worms, possibly exposing of particular industries, it is a fairly important food sector, after all, strongly protected industry, including the farming sector.........

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t read to much into schools expecting to stay open in all stages, if stage 4 becomes a thing, then most people will keep their kids out of school themselves

I agree there, I know Mehole came out & stated that schools would still be open even at level 5.
    However I was listening to Mcglynn the other evening & a reporter actually asked him that.
    He stated that it would depend on the situation & seriousness of things at that stage. He said he wouldn't rule anything out as we don't know what's ahead.
    At least he seems to be more honest & realistic than Mehole. Mixed messages all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

jimbojazz wrote: »
    That's possible, but they also look at the previous two weeks, bear in mind also, Dawn Meats were only tested Friday, so in all likelihood those cases if any wont have been released yet.

I've also heard of an outbreak in a local sportswear supplier, won't be too hard to work out where! For Suree!;)

Very good rhyme there, heard that too

Exactly this,if we end up with a pile of cases coming from the meat plants,how were they left to get into that situation.
    Any of these places should be made to close down immediately for 3 weeks if any more than 4 cases detected and all staff should be paid fully for the duration.
    Maybe that will teach them to cop the feck on😷😷

Exactly this,if we end up with a pile of cases coming from the meat plants,how were they left to get into that situation.
    Any of these places should be made to close down immediately for 3 weeks if any more than 4 cases detected and all staff should be paid fully for the duration.
    Maybe that will teach them to cop the feck on😷😷

They not only need to close but also need to explain why their workers are getting infected and they need to change things dramatically in their factories and tell people exactly how they are going to prevent this happening again in the future.

There is definitely something that is not right about this whole episode and I really want to know why as I am not prepared to let whatever it is causing this infection bring us all back into a lockdown!

The reality is most of the meat plants probably aren't fit for purpose without massive investment which is unlikely to occur, so it will be hushed up and brushed under the carpet to keep the industry moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

possible due to the poor working practices in the sector, they may not want to open a can of worms, possibly exposing of particular industries, it is a fairly important food sector, after all, strongly protected industry, including the farming sector.........
    The reality is most of the meat plants probably aren't fit for purpose without massive investment which is unlikely to occur, so it will be hushed up and brushed under the carpet to keep the industry moving.

I'm genuinely interested to know what people's knowledge is of work practices in meat plants or what is considered not fit for purpose as I've no idea what goes on inside those places?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I would also say that many of them would be in shared accommodation, maybe even cramped accommodation and, many of them would also share transport to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I would also say that many of them would be in shared accommodation, maybe even cramped accommodation and, many of them would also share transport to and from work.

As with my post above is this just hearsay or can you back up your statement?

Why are they in shared accommodation and sharing transport?

It sounds very very dodgy if that is true!

Is it something like they have illegal workers there who they don't pay properly and no legitimate person would work there so the conditions are terrible and that is why they are all getting infected in such numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

A lot of the Croatians that work in the plants share accommodation, I don't think there's anything particularly devious about that. Rent is expensive, they know and work together. Makes sense for them to bunk up (I don't mean that they are 8 to a house or anything)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I worked in AIBP many years ago but I still know a couple of lads there and if a quarter of what goes on got out , they would be public uproar.
    But there are a lot of vested interests higher up that would keep it out of the public eye.
    It was a poisoned sector in the 80s and it has only got worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

do meat plants hire in agency workers from abroad like what that strawberry crowd were doing, Keelins I think.

I worked in AIBP many years ago but I still know a couple of lads there and if a quarter of what goes on got out , they would be public uproar.
    But there are a lot of vested interests higher up that would keep it out of the public eye.
    It was a poisoned sector in the 80s and it has only got worse

Why is it not coming out?

We are in the middle of the worst health emergency we have ever seen and there is something being hidden in these plants as they are now affecting millions of people's health and livelihoods!

Why can the meat factories get away with this and other industries cannot???

This is starting to make me feel very angry about this now and I am even more suspicious now that there is a serious issue in there and they are not telling people!

Is that why it took Dawn Meats days to make a statement?
    They are hiding something and had to take days to get their story straight?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why is it not coming out?

We are in the middle of the worst health emergency we have ever seen and there is something being hidden in these plants as they are now affecting millions of people's health and livelihoods!

Why can the meat factories get away with this and other industries cannot???

Beef Barons are so powerful

The whole county could end up been locked down with cases in the meat plants been a massive part of that

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely interested to know what people's knowledge is of work practices in meat plants or what is considered not fit for purpose as I've no idea what goes on inside those places?

For one thing, their air circulation systems are exactly the opposite of what you want to prevent airborne disease spread. The entire factory floor is essentially a giant fridge and in order to maintain temperatures at slower cost, rather than ventilate and circulating fresh air, the same air is re-circulated almost constantly.

And given convection cooling cycles, this will eventually tend to pool down to working level. A perfect storm for CoVid spread.

Advertisement