Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It'll take a surge of young deaths to make any inroads into the mindset of students and even then it's doubtful they'd change much - a bit like driving. We all know young drivers are most likely to crash but it doesn't stop them taking risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,450 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It'll take a surge of young deaths to make any inroads into the mindset of students and even then it's doubtful they'd change much - a bit like driving. We all know young drivers are most likely to crash but it doesn't stop them taking risks.

...so its unlikely theyll change...

Just going to steal spooky's thunder here :)
    363 new cases and 1 death

154 cases are in Dublin, 40 in Cork, 23 in Donegal, 16 in Wexford, 15 in Roscommon, 14 in Galway, 14 in Monaghan, 11 in Kildare, 11 in Meath, 11 in Wicklow, 9 in Limerick, 6 in Clare, 5 in Mayo, 5 in Tipperary with the remaining 29 cases in 9 counties.

Significant jump for Wexford relatively speaking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just going to steal spooky's thunder here :)

Significant jump for Wexford relatively speaking

Looks like 5 of those 7 yesterday came from dawn meats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Putting restrictions on offie would be stupid and possibly a violation of human rights

Still think house parties would still happen

Refusing the sale of alcohol is a human rights violation. I've heard it all now. You should apply for a job as PR for Pavee Point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Refusing the sale of alcohol is a human rights violation. I've heard it all now. You should apply for a job as PR for Pavee Point.

Whilst I would not go as far as to say refusing to sell alcohol is a human violation per se it would be almost impossible to introduce some form of prohibition in Ireland today. Yes, we have a tortured relationship with alcohol historically; one the one hand you have the perceived notion of Ireland's pub culture, craic & trad music which is a huge draw to tourists, yet on the other is the collateral damage of alcohol i.e. disease, abuse, death & violence. An interesting assertion from one of the early Irish Nationalists was that "an Ireland sober would be an island free"

Writer John D. Sheridan depicted the dilemma of the moderate drinker in such a country. Moderate consumers of alcohol, he suggested:
    "resent the sneers of the heavy drinker *that prince of bigots*who
    looks down on us as cute, penny-watching apron-slaves, and is forever
    trying to raise us to his mighty stature. Our case against the total
    abstainer is not so easy to put into words, since we envy his high motives
    and admire his self-control, but we think it unfair that we who carry the
    heavier end of the cross should be denied a share of the halo"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not an expert on human rights rules but the way I see it

If the government put a restriction on Off Licences that is very close to prohibition. Over 18s are adults and have a right to purchase alcohol without stupid food rules and whatever quantity they like. At the end of the day wine drinkers are still consuming alcohol no matter how smart and sophisticated they think they are

So to summarise, its not any sort of breach of human rights and you were talking out your hat.

You are just upset about the idea and want to be able to get pissed and eat and drink what you want regardless of how it effects others.
    Got it.

Glad you could clear things up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I don't think there is a justification for closing off licenses unless you ban the sale of alcohol outright.

They sell a product that people of all ages regularly abuse, but then so do supermarkets.

I do have sympathy for young people. They will make mistakes - we all did.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,450 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote:
    I do have sympathy for young people. They will make mistakes - we all did.

Us older folks also make mistakes

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Us older folks also make mistakes

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but
    more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw

• Advertisement

We're in the "other counties" list again.

Right now you could draw a line roughly taking in the south midlands and the south east which is relatively in good shape, with another pocket in the Sligo/Leitrim area. The rest are sliding towards lockdown.

1 yesterday hopefully similar tomorrow but 0 would be even better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but
    more useful than a life spent doing nothing"

George Bernard Shaw

What a wonderful quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Is there a live chart where we can see the cases per 100000?

dzilla wrote: »

I just read an article on The Journal new website with regards to Madrid in Spain. They are about to put the city in a partial lockdown along the lines of Dublin here. Just for a bit of perspective the current rate in Madrid is 780 per 100,000 :eek:. And they are only considering to partially lockdown the city. Yet the local Health Minister is calling it illegal and considering Court action.

So we should reflect that here in Ireland we are doing very well in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

dzilla wrote: »

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

2 cases yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

John Cummins got a new position on a committee I believed thought he lost the whip?

Hub Map LEA updated 15/9 to 28/9
    Dungarvan lea 6 Confirmed less than 5, 100k less than 5, ROI per 100k 88.2. No Change
    Lismore Lea 3 Confirmed Less than 5, 100k less than 5. No change
    Portlaw Kilmacthomas Lea 5, Confirmed Less than 5, 100k less than 5. Was at 6 and 35 for 100k
    Tramore Waterford City Lea 6 Confirmed 17, 100k l76. Was at 30, 134.1
    Waterford City South Lea 6 Confirmed 24, 100k 106.8. Was 28, 124.6.
    Waterford City East Lea 6 Confirmed 15, 100k 65.3. Was 28, 121.8

Total Population 100k is now 88.2 was at 70.7

spookwoman wrote: »
    Hub Map LEA updated 15/9 to 28/9
    Dungarvan lea 6 Confirmed less than 5, 100k less than 5, ROI per 100k 88.2. No Change
    Lismore Lea 3 Confirmed Less than 5, 100k less than 5. No change
    Portlaw Kilmacthomas Lea 5, Confirmed Less than 5, 100k less than 5. Was at 6 and 35 for 100k
    Tramore Waterford City Lea 6 Confirmed 17, 100k l76. Was at 30, 134.1
    Waterford City South Lea 6 Confirmed 24, 100k 106.8. Was 28, 124.6.
    Waterford City East Lea 6 Confirmed 15, 100k 65.3. Was 28, 121.8

Total Population 100k is now 88.2 was at 70.7

Way too much info & stats IMO :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Crazy stuff ! Some boxing gym in town held an open sparring last week with groups from wexford and covid hotspot westmeath according to @ 'coronavirus updates ireland'

This is the carry on that will lead us back to L3 very soon....

4 cases yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Another boo boo by Waterford finest journalist. His casual racism is back to the fore again!

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/10/02/apology-clarification-dawn-meats/#.X3d6omko80G

Racism?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Gardner wrote: »
    Another boo boo by Waterford finest journalist. His casual racism is back to the fore again!

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/10/02/apology-clarification-dawn-meats/#.X3d6omko80G

I know screaming racism is the go-to outlet when you are defunct of actual arguments. But even still, would you mind clarifying what the hell you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I don't know what the OP is referring to but there was an article in the N&S a few weeks ago where DS interviewed some eastern Europeans staff from dawn meats. The jist of the article was 'it's not us it's the coloured lads'.
    How a speculative article like that full of hearsay from anonymous source can be published is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

gobo99 wrote: »
    I don't know what the OP is referring to but there was an article in the N&S a few weeks ago where DS interviewed some eastern Europeans staff from dawn meats. The jist of the article was 'it's not us it's the coloured lads'.
    How a speculative article like that full of hearsay from anonymous source can be published is beyond me.

Oh I'm very much referring to the article. He has form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Gardner wrote: »
    Oh I'm very much referring to the article. He has form.

Such as? Either say it or stop boy.

1 yesterday. Not on todays list which is good.

• Advertisement

Less than 5.

Advertisement