Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Looks like they are following the Auz victoria model which was successful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hoffmans wrote: »

No need for it and it will cause more suicides among people

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

BBM77 wrote: »
    Well I am going to be ignoring them. Have a feeling I won’t be the only one.

Here! Here! Okay. Enough. To quote Monty Python "Stop it, this is just getting silly now". The Eggheads have had their say but they have lost the run of themselves. They will destroy the economy and the mental health of it's citizens if they are left to go on unchecked. How the hell are we meant to live? Here in Waterford our numbers have fallen yet we get lumped in with the rest of the country? BS. Pure BS. Israel is the only other country in lockdown at the moment and they want us to follow suit based on "predictions"? This requires strong Government. If they choose to follow the advice they will lose the people. I have serious misgivings about Government overreach. However we have reached a point in time when the normal, silent majority are going to have to start making their voices heard. There may be trouble ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

No one was expecting that, but I've a feeling the gov will go with level 4 and say if number dont go down in level 4 then go to level 5, which means dragging the whole thing out longer than necessary. They should just have the balls and go with NPET's advice.

They always go with NPETs advice when it comes to lockdowns. Although this time there may be some resistance. The economy just cant sustain another month at level 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They always go with NPETs advice when it comes to lockdowns. Although this time there may be some resistance. The economy just cant sustain another month at level 5.

Balls are needed in the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What is needed is proper enforcement. Proper fines for people not bothering with following basic rules. While back people were bitching about the possibility of police stopping house parties, well if it does go to level 5 It's because of those selfish pricks and others who can't look further than their own selves.

We, the people, can't sustain another quasi lockdown FFS! I can't see the Government adhering to NutPHETs request. Not enough Minister's would agree to it. Why the sudden change from last Thursday?? It's scaremongery on an obscene level. There's about 120ppl in hospital, 30 odd in ICU nationally and they want us all to be good little boy's and girls by going out to work and bring the kids to school then lock yerselfs away for the rest of the month! Reduce your contacts, have no one over to the house, close the pubs, restaurants, cafes, non essential shops, no sports, don't travel further than 5km....
    They lost the goodwill of the people of Ireland during the summer. Especially after the Clifden golf society. Once trust is gone then you won't get people to go willingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

We've already seen too many businesses close here already. Central arts closed down last week. People in Waterford have been doing their best, what happened was the schools opening and the meat factories that led to the increase. We actually went weeks without new cases which was excellent. We're still somewhere near the bottom in terms of infection rate and in cases. We need to start factoring the livelihoods of people. The Taoiseach or NPHE don't have to worry about losing their jobs (Or if you're the former attorney general who despite having responsible or many of the restrictions violated them at GolfGate.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Well I am going to be ignoring them. Have a feeling I won’t be the only one.

And, what do you hope to achieve by that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

The south east has successfully reduced the numbers time and time again, and now we're being advised to restrict our lives even more now? For what? The numbers aren't rising here, our behaviors indicate we're doing everything right, yet we're being told it's not good enough by enforcing even more restrictions. The level system is supposed to focus on region based restrictions, yet this is being ignored. So does this mean if Donegal sees a spike, the whole country will be locked down now? I thought the new regional advice would be good, but this seems to be ignored now, this throws any trust I had in the advice out the window and I know I'm not in a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,450 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The south east has successfully reduced the numbers time and time again, and now we're being advised to restrict our lives even more now? For what? The numbers aren't rising here, our behaviors indicate we're doing everything right, yet we're being told it's not good enough by enforcing even more restrictions. The level system is supposed to focus on region based restrictions, yet this is being ignored. So does this mean if Donegal sees a spike, the whole country will be locked down now? I thought the new regional advice would be good, but this seems to be ignored now, this throws any trust I had in the advice out the window and I know I'm not in a minority.

nphet may just have begun a game of poker

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

We've already seen too many businesses close here already. Central arts closed down last week. People in Waterford have been doing their best, what happened was the schools opening and the meat factories that led to the increase. We actually went weeks without new cases which was excellent. We're still somewhere near the bottom in terms of infection rate and in cases. We need to start factoring the livelihoods of people. The Taoiseach or NPHE don't have to worry about losing their jobs (Or if you're the former attorney general who despite having responsible or many of the restrictions violated them at GolfGate.

If schools were part of thr spread then why hasn't infections continue to rise here? It was the meat plants that was main driver here. My guess is as good as yours why we are best in the country currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It doesn't matter what restrictions they impose. Those of us who have adhered to them previously will continue to do so, albeit hesitantly and with a growing apathy; and those that didn't adhere previously will continue to ignore the guidelines, possibly with even more contempt than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I always wear a mask, follow good hand hygiene, maintain a distance from people, avoid large groups of people and am going to get the flu vaccine. So what I will achieve is looking after my mental and physical health. Everything is not about COVID-19. Does NPET expected us all to become complete recluses? NPET is going too far. Others have already wrote why so no point repeating it. How does it even make sense that in Waterford we have falling number of cases but we may be put from level 2 to 5? But when cases were rising we stayed in level 2. Also, on Thursday NPET said there was no need for the whole country to go to level 3 but on Sunday evening they are recommending the whole country goes to level 5! This is actually a very serious decision. If they do move to level 5 I think people are going to turn against the pandemic response which in the end will cause the virus to spread more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Those who are predisposed to doing the right thing will continue to do so, those who are casual and yes somewhat selfish will continue to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Those who are predisposed to doing the right thing will continue to do so, those who are casual and yes somewhat selfish will continue to be so.

Do you live alone? What industry do you work in?

Compliance will drop if the advice doesn't make sense. Putting the south east into the highest level of restrictions right now makes as much sense as wearing safety goggles in your sleep. Compliance is easy when there's rationale, but there's no justification for putting us in the highest level right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As it happens I see little merit is throwing us in with Dublin, Cork, Donegal etc but it's also clear NPHET don't trust the public and it's easy for the government to close us all rather than expose the Dubs and the "real capital" to examination by isolating them to Level 5.

Do you live alone? What industry do you work in?

I have it easy in terms of living with this environment I'll admit, single and I work outside. But it's not a case of pick and choose with Covid, if we all work together then the numbers drop, if people do their own thing it won't and will grow in incidence.

I always wear a mask, follow good hand hygiene, maintain a distance from people, avoid large groups of people and am going to get the flu vaccine. So what I will achieve is looking after my mental and physical health. Everything is not about COVID-19. Does NPET expected us all to become complete recluses? NPET is going too far. Others have already wrote why so no point repeating it. How does it even make sense that in Waterford we have falling number of cases but we may be put from level 2 to 5? But when cases were rising we stayed in level 2. Also, on Thursday NPET said there was no need for the whole country to go to level 3 but on Sunday evening they are recommending the whole country goes to level 5! This is actually a very serious decision. If they do move to level 5 I think people are going to turn against the pandemic response which in the end will cause the virus to spread more.

Well said. Personally, I too have followed the guidelines ie mask wearing, distancing, hand sanitising etc. and was on board with the whole "we are in this together" lark @ the onset of the pandemic. However, I did notice that 3+ months of going to work and staying @ home at other times had a toll on my moods. Isolation is not natural for social beings.
    As for the last night's statement from NutPHET I believe that the timing and communication of such a bombshell on a Sunday evening is disgraceful. Talk about killing the morale of a nation. For so called experts they should have relayed their concerns to the actual Government first. Part of me thinks it was done for shock & awe value but it smacks of sensationalism. From a Waterford perspective it definitely does not deserve to jump 3 levels and be placed on an equal footing with areas where the numbers are high.
    Finally, lets consider where all this is going economically. If we have another lockdown 100,000's of people will lose their jobs. They say it will be for 4 weeks but going on the past 6 months this could easily roll over endlessly. No other country in the world has re-entered a nationwide lockdown bar Israel. I am not minimising the severity of Covid but we could enter a phase where if we continue to supress the economy the Govt will run out of money pretty quickly. Who is gonna pay the Doctors then? Maybe NutPHET should look @ the broader picture and see the collateral damage their "predictions" will cause.
    Yes its a minefield no matter which argument you side with but as the OP said the mood of the people is a hell of a lot different now than it was back in March. It is also gonna be a pivotal decision for the Govt as to date they have taken the advice and acted on it unilaterally. I very much doubt that they will move the whole country up to Level 5 and thankfully it will begin the process of wrestling back the control of the management of the pandemic to the people who rule the country. More sensible voices & opinions are needed @ the table. NutPHET are not infallible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

What's another lockdown going to achieve?

Like BB has said they follow all the guidelines that we have now,like myself and like from what i can see near 100% people in the city ,we have one of the lowest numbers in country thanks to the people of Waterford and yet you have people on here calling us selfish pricks!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

If they imposed proper restrictions on Dublin, Cork and Donegal and actually enforced them, they could do so by temporarily redeploying Garda personnel piecemeal from areas that are complying with current restrictions and performing well.

But No, it'll be Level 5 for the whole country, the same Yahoo's who never obey any laws will do as they always do and the rest of us will be stuck suffering for months.

What's another lockdown going to achieve?

Like BB has said they follow all the guidelines that we have now,like myself and like from what i can see near 100% people in the city ,we have one of the lowest numbers in country thanks to the people of Waterford and yet you have people on here calling us selfish pricks!!

100% agree. The locals have done a fantastic job throughout the pandemic and apart from a few weeks @ the beginning of Sept our numbers have been very low. I'd like to congratulate all my fellow Deise citizens in not only by and large following the guidelines but when the numbers spiked bringing the levels back down again so quickly
    https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/09/28/covid-19-incidence-rate-falls-sharply-in-waterford/

Some other people are so quick to criticise their fellow citizens too quickly. We are all trying to do our best. You are always going to get people who will do as they please regardless. We are not all "selfish pricks" around here. The vast majority of us have done what has been asked of us locally. The numbers do not lie ;)

The current incidence rate. Dublin is equal to Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny and Carlow combined.

RMBzMNm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I always wear a mask, follow good hand hygiene, maintain a distance from people, avoid large groups of

So, you will continue to follow the hse advice and not "ignore" them at all then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

We've all experienced lots of challenges over the last few months. I'm sure some people here reading this will be anxious about where this is all going, and personally I find that mindfulness techniques are very helpful for managing stress and anxiety.

Try taking a moment to switch off when you feel yourself getting stressed, or pick a moment during your day to let your mind drift for a bit.

Maybe for some people that means closing your eyes and enjoying a moment in the garden when the birds are singing in the morning. Maybe it's stealing a moment during the day to enjoy a cup of coffee and not getting interrupted by the phone or work.

I've definitely pressed the reset button this year. I'm eating healthier, drinking less and I've lost about a stone. There's loads of stuff I miss but I'll enjoy them and appreciate them when I have them back.

We've all got to be ready for a challenging winter. The country has endured worse, if we can winter this out we can summer anywhere.

The current incidence rate. Dublin is equal to Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny and Carlow combined.

RMBzMNm.png

Wow that really illustrates how unjust it would be to place us here in Waterford onto a Level 5 footing :eek: The whole of the south east region is on a lower footing!! Maybe the Govt & their PET buddies should have gotten hold of the problem in the capital a bit sooner and not look out for easier scapegoats in the wider community? After all almost a third of the population live there! We are truly beyond the Pale :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Junior

Just wait till the full story about the Dungarvan GAA cock up comes out.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Junior wrote: »
    Just wait till the full story about the Dungarvan GAA cock up comes out.

Absolutely crazy alright, a player awaiting the results of a Covid19 test togged out for Dungarvan on Saturday and then had a positive result on Sunday morning. There was a story going around that a similar thing happened a few weeks ago out in Ballygunner, except it was a players mother who tested positive on the Thursday evening and her son went and played a match on the Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Junior

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Absolutely crazy alright, a player awaiting the results of a Covid19 test togged out for Dungarvan on Saturday and then had a positive result on Sunday morning. There was a story going around that a similar thing happened a few weeks ago out in Ballygunner, except it was a players mother who tested positive on the Thursday evening and her son went and played a match on the Saturday.

Who's the Covid Officer for Dungarvan GAA ?

Advertisement