Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Could be a big rise in suicides in this country due to all this. The mental health effects of this crisis need to be appraised fully.

mental health services are at breaking point, and its only coming into peak season now, very worrying stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Could be a big rise in suicides in this country due to all this. The mental health effects of this crisis need to be appraised fully.

If Ireland doesn't have you suicidal anyway you're made of strong stuff. Don't said rates always spike at this time of year? How would you determine if it was attributable to CoVid/housing/employment/weather/lack of sunlight/general grimness of surroundings.

If Ireland doesn't have you suicidal anyway you're made of strong stuff. Don't said rates always spike at this time of year? How would you determine if it was attributable to CoVid/housing/employment/weather/lack of sunlight/general grimness of surroundings.

im expecting an increase in suicide numbers, but you do make a good point, its difficult to differentiate what results in these outcomes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im expecting an increase in suicide numbers, but you do make a good point, its difficult to differentiate what results in these outcomes

I would go further and flat out refuse to attribute any suicides to covid or lockdowns. It's too easy and giving the government and all preceding governments too easy a ride. They've been sitting on a ticking timebomb of a housing crisis, extremely high youth unemployment in regional areas (SE in particular) and viciously underfunding mental health provision for years. That blood will be entirely on our very well paid TDs hands.

I would go further and flat out refuse to attribute any suicides to covid or lockdowns. It's too easy and giving the government and all preceding governments too easy a ride. They've been sitting on a ticking timebomb of a housing crisis, extremely high youth unemployment in regional areas (SE in particular) and viciously underfunding mental health provision for years. That blood will be entirely on our very well paid TDs hands.

id disagree there to some degree, mental health services have been inundated since the beginning of covid, we ve all felt the increase in anxiety since this has begun, unfortunately, some of us are a little more vulnerable than others, and are feeling it more so, this is gonna be a very bad winter for the services, but you do make great points overall, the services have always been dramatically underfunded, and now we have mary butler, fcuking hell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Aquos76 wrote: »
    It certainly ain’t the weather to be sitting outside though

Maybe if you are a snowflake perhaps :rolleyes: I sat outside for a pint or two the last two Saturday afternoon in the Apple Market Area and I have to say it was a pleasure to sit "outside" and watch the world go by. Even before this pandemic I have sat in outside areas in pubs in a lot colder climates than Ireland. What would you suggest? Close all the pubs full stop?? At least it keeps a few people in jobs for a while and at the same time injects a bit of life into an area like the Apple Market.

Maybe if you are a snowflake perhaps :rolleyes: I sat outside for a pint or two the last two Saturday afternoon in the Apple Market Area and I have to say it was a pleasure sit to back "outside" and watch the world go by. Even before this pandemic I have sat in outside areas in pubs in a lot colder climates than Ireland. What would you suggest? Close all the pubs full stop?? At least it keeps a few people in jobs for a while and at the same time injects a bit of life into an area like the Apple Market.

ah we ll wait another few weeks, when the really cold wet weather arrives, we ll give yea another go at it....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You are much man Flow, much man.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

growHQ going back to takeouts only I believe. They have the space but max 15 customers makes it uneconomical to open properly I expect.

You are much man Flow, much man.

Well if The Ice Man, Mr Wim Hof, can swim in the Artic etc then surely a Deise man can brave a mild Irish Winter to sit in the fresh air for a pint of Guinness :pac: "The cold is an absolute doorway to the soul"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

growHQ going back to takeouts only I believe. They have the space but max 15 customers makes it uneconomical to open properly I expect.

Theres not really a whole lot of the premises that it will make sense to open for with such limited capacity and only outdoors.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

https://www.newstalk.com/news/nine-counties-now-covid-19-incidence-rate-100-1086500

Seems Waterford now has the lowest incidence rate per 100k in Ireland over past fortnight. 3rd lowest number of confirmed cases also. Put that in yer pipe Dr Tony CMO! ;) Level 3 me aras!!! Top of the class more like :pac::pac:
    (Wondering where all those doom'n'gloom merchants of a few weeks ago are now??) :rolleyes:

Edit - I was wrong, they're going to continue outdoors as best they can plus the takeouts and food truck.

The weather is actually looking pretty good next week in a crisp and dry way. In fact they'd be wise to open on Mon/Tues to take advantage.

Oh guess what? - Waterford as of the latest numbers has the lowest rate per 100k in the land!
    https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/10/06/waterfords-covid-19-incidence-rate-now-lowest-in-country/#.X3x8Iok78_I.twitter

incidence-rate-map.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Edit - I was wrong, they're going to continue outdoors as best they can plus the takeouts and food truck.

The weather is actually looking pretty good next week in a crisp and dry way. In fact they'd be wise to open on Mon/Tues to take advantage.

Oh guess what? - Waterford as of the latest numbers has the lowest rate per 100k in the land!
    https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/10/06/waterfords-covid-19-incidence-rate-now-lowest-in-country/#.X3x8Iok78_I.twitter

incidence-rate-map.jpg

The reason for not having localised lockdowns is cause it would be impractical

Dubs are still travelling here and not for essential business

Great news eh? I posted a similar reply earlier. Amazing how some folk only bother to comment when the vultures are circling and figures rising. Just like this head-da-ball

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/covid-19-circuit-break-5225075-Oct2020/

All this guy is missing is a black cloak & a scythe. If he ever gets into NPHET there will be martial law! One of the most depressing things about the coverage of Covid here in Ireland is the amount of so-called educated people filling the newsfeeds, radios & TV screen masquerading as messianic professors with all the answers. Its doubly confusing when you have a couple on a programme but with different perspectives. Then again a fair percentage of the general population seems to have gained a PhD in Epidemiology if you listen to any vox pop in the media. Still @ least Big Don, the leader of the free world, is "feeling better than he did 20 years ago" (time travel?) and is "maybe immune" from the disease. We can all sleep easily tonight;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Its sad to see all the restaurants/pubs/cafes across Waterford posting on social media of their closures,thousands out of the job and for how long who knows what level tony will have us at if he gets his way..

Its sad to see all the restaurants/pubs/cafes across Waterford posting on social media of their closures,thousands out of the job and for how long who knows what level tony will have us at if he gets his way..

again, tony didnt create covid!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    again, tony didnt create covid!

No, but what would he know about people losing their jobs, pubs having to close, businesses on the brink of collapse, mental health, unemployment and all the associated activities and complications which result from having to implement these lockdowns? He is giving advice, important advice, on the health aspect of the pandemic but has neither a clue nor an interest in the economic and other aspects so I for one am glad that the government took a step back and decided not to do the blanket Level 5 at this time. Its a big cake, and Tony represents but one slice.

It's very easy to blame a bureaucrat but with Covid their is only one person to blame in the end - you - and you and you and you and you . All of "you" who failed to do the right thing be it once or on multiple occasions because you though it wasn't enough of an issue to get in the way of your wants. "Sure why not go to that party or wedding or funeral or GAA match and who really washes their hands or wears a mask really, sure no harm".

Sure no harm could be the epitaph of quite a few who are now dead or will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

No, but what would he know about people losing their jobs, pubs having to close, businesses on the brink of collapse, mental health, unemployment and all the associated activities and complications which result from having to implement these lockdowns? He is giving advice, important advice, on the health aspect of the pandemic but has neither a clue nor an interest in the economic and other aspects so I for one am glad that the government took a step back and decided not to do the blanket Level 5 at this time. Its a big cake, and Tony represents but one slice.

You forget to mention dead people.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

It's very easy to blame a bureaucrat but with Covid their is only one person to blame in the end - you - and you and you and you and you . All of "you" who failed to do the right thing be it once or on multiple occasions because you though it wasn't enough of an issue to get in the way of your wants. "Sure why not go to that party or wedding or funeral or GAA match and who really washes their hands or wears a mask really, sure no harm".

Sadly nothing is going to change

House parties will still happen over the next 3 weeks. A high number of people will be going back on the covid payment and will be on extra money in turn buying drink having Halloween parties etc

The guards have no new powers

George in full on "the end is nigh" mode, listing counties all going up biggly but no mention of the star pupil cutting cases dramatically. That said, probably just as well don't want too many pox carriers from Dublin Cork etc.

nphets mandate is ultimately to protect the health system, its the governments job to protect the economy, theyve cleared prioritised the economy, lets hope it works

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I'm not liking some of the finger pointing at other counties by some in this thread.

Just 2 weeks ago we in Waterford were third highest in the country and we were very lucky not to be put into Level 3 along with Donegal that time. Thankfully things have gone in the right direction since but there's no guarantee that will last either. We saw how one couple in another part of the country returned from holiday then went out for dinner etc and 30 people ended up getting infected, the same could happen here.

Just look at that case in Dungarvan with the gaa club, it's a minority but some people here are also flouting the guidelines same as everywhere else!

It's obviously good news that we're currently the best boys & girls in class, but there's no room for complacency or smugness we just need to keep doing what we've been doing.

Spookwoman can confirm but it looks like 4 new cases here.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

https://www.newstalk.com/news/nine-counties-now-covid-19-incidence-rate-100-1086500

Seems Waterford now has the lowest incidence rate per 100k in Ireland over past fortnight. 3rd lowest number of confirmed cases also. Put that in yer pipe Dr Tony CMO! ;) Level 3 me aras!!! Top of the class more like :pac::pac:
    (Wondering where all those doom'n'gloom merchants of a few weeks ago are now??) :rolleyes:

Honestly, you're the only "doom'n'gloom merchant" I see in this thread.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Spookwoman can confirm but it looks like 4 new cases here.

Might be wrong but I think it was only an increase of 1 case for us yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭AUDI20

This 100%, most honest post I have seen. Its not NPHET fault that the numbers has risen so dramatically in the last few weeks, its the members of the public that think the restrictions don't apply to them. and it should not be judged on the deaths alone but the numbers who get it. the more that get it then the higher risk of more deaths down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Might be wrong but I think it was only an increase of 1 case for us yesterday

That is correct and 40 for the previous two weeks

• Advertisement

We need to look at the death rate and decide we have to live with this and go on as normal

How many years have we lived through other similar virsues with as much an effect as this ??.

Advertisement