Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I have a terrible and entirely well founded opinion of my fellow citizens tbh.

I believe the discussion beforehand was discussing Mayor of Waterford Damien Geoghegan's recent behaviour. Local bigwig/small fry maybe but FG saw him fit to stand as a candidate for national parliament, their other prospective candidate didn't cover himself in glory lately either.

But that is the calibre of representative Fine Gael saw as fitting for County Waterford, in fact they ran both so probably thought they would get both over the line.

I mean look at who is voting for Michael Lowry for years or the Healy Rae's. A lot of us have a great laugh about Trump/Dubya Bush in his time and their gaffes but we have yokes like these hanging around collecting very large salaries from the taxpayer for years.

So I maintain, we get the the politicians we deserve and it is 100% a reflection of the intelligence and moral character of the citizens voting for them that that is where they choose their vote to go.

Outline a good alternative other than than the Chinese/North Korean model of politics that relies on the masses being given an equal vote but can prevent the likes of the politicians you refer to getting elected....? Currently in a number of large democracies we have the likes of Johnson, trump and bolsonaro.......one more dangerous/nutty than the next.....there is also a pleb type ‘head man’ in Hungary 🇭🇺

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Think we'd all agree the Turkmenistan lads have it right.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

The old land ownership = vote was imperfect but was along the right path, focused on rich= good too much. You want to make sure someone has the mental capability to make decisions that may impact society at large though.

I would be in favour of only allowing voting rights to those having obtained a level of education at or above that which is equal to Level 6 on the Irish framework. This is equivalent to a Higher Certificate or Trades Qualification and is obtainable by most people with IQ above 100 or so. It also shows the person has a bit of gumption and perseverance and can be trusted to make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭AUDI20

The old land ownership = vote was imperfect but was along the right path, focused on rich= good too much. You want to make sure someone has the mental capability to make decisions that may impact society at large though.

I would be in favour of only allowing voting rights to those having obtained a level of education at or above that which is equal to Level 6 on the Irish framework. This is equivalent to a Higher Certificate or Trades Qualification and is obtainable by most people with IQ above 100 or so. It also shows the person has a bit of gumption and perseverance and can be trusted to make an informed decision.
    So you are not in favour of democracy so. who are you to decide the level of education required for people to vote, I see your still up on your high horse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

AUDI20 wrote: »
    So you are not in favour of democracy so. who are you to decide the level of education required for people to vote, I see your still up on your high horse.

No democracy requires faith in people(demos). That's even more forlorn than trust in various sky fairies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Thankfully no suspected cases or confirmed in ICU for waterford but we are down to 1 bed now. 23 general beds open.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,454 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

spookwoman wrote:
    Thankfully no suspected cases or confirmed in ICU for waterford but we are down to 1 bed now. 23 general beds open.

Jesus, 1 bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

You certainly give off the vibes of someone with a ‘superiority complex’....polling / centres a quick IQ check / test prior to receiving a ballot paper might be an idea......?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Didn't the HSE come out after that and say they didn't share the same view as nphet with regards the hospitals being overrun?

Donnelly definitely came out & said we had plenty of beds in our hospitals. He said there was no problems there.
    I specifically remember as I was gobsmacked at how casual he was after what nphet had said.

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    You certainly give off the vibes of someone with a ‘superiority complex’....polling / centres a quick IQ check / test prior to receiving a ballot paper might be an idea......?

Some kind of an IQ or competency test wouldn't be the worst idea when it comes to voting rights tbh.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Sole kind of an IQ or competency test wouldn't be the worst idea when it comes to voting rights tbh.

...a very interesting form of 'democracy'! it would create a market for selling iq's, or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

IQ levels have nothing to do with common sense, for the record. You can have a very intelligent book smart person who has no emotional intelligence and makes terrible decisions, as per our government ministers.
    On the other hand you can have a person who through no fault of their own, never got an education and can barely read but their street smarts would buy and sell all around them.

IQ levels have nothing to do with common sense, for the record. You can have a very intelligent book smart person who has no emotional intelligence and makes terrible decisions, as per our government ministers.
    On the other hand you can have a person who through no fault of their own, never got an education and can barely read but their street smarts would buy and sell all around them.

...baring in mind, our educational system only truly benefits particular types of minds, and effectively punishes others

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ...a very interesting form of 'democracy'! it would create a market for selling iq's, or something!

So you're saying it would also be a job creator and driver of economic growth???! The reasons to implement it are becoming so hard to refuse!

Yeah that's why a competency test of some sort would be best, I'm sure something could be worked out. Can't set the bar particularly high or anything, just lift it to ground level maybe

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Of the large number reported yesterday there was an additional 13 cases for Waterford up to midnight on Friday 9th Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

spookwoman wrote: »

I don’t know where you are getting your information, but there is not 1 ICU bed in Waterford. You are wrong. If and when Covid hits hard in Ardkeen, the hospital is more than well equipped to deal with patients when it comes to beds.

Where are you getting your information from?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭plasticman3327

Motivator wrote: »
    I don’t know where you are getting your information, but there is not 1 ICU bed in Waterford. You are wrong. If and when Covid hits hard in Ardkeen, the hospital is more than well equipped to deal with patients when it comes to beds.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/10/11/e4-billion-increase-in-health-expected-for-budget-2020/#.X4LdquUGj2Q.twitter

"There were no Covid patients in Critical care at UHW and one critical care bed was available at the hospital."

• Advertisement

Motivator wrote: »

I get the info from the daily operations report

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-20-00-10-october-2020.pdf

529019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Heard there’s quite a significant cluster in Tramore involving Holy Cross School

Gael23 wrote: »
    Heard there’s quite a significant cluster in Tramore involving Holy Cross School
    Just saw on the Twitter list for schools 2 listed for holy cross

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

No,no,no,no

Don’t you all know now that school kids don’t spread Covid-19 ��

aziz wrote:
    Don’t you all know now that school kids don’t spread Covid-19

Kids are special, only adults carry such things, so its clearly the staffs fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

The situation maybe accelerating on the island of Ireland as a whole but I think it is important to focus on the figures at a local or county level. Level 3 and above advises staying within your own county. I got these figures from the HSE Hub.

Since Covid arrived on our shores there have been 372 confirmed cases in Waterford of the total confirmed cases in Ireland. This is the 2nd lowest figure countrywide after Carlow. Percentage-wise this amounts to 0.93% of the total countrywide and on a % level we are only slightly behind Sligo/Leitrim/Carlow.

Our incidence rate per 100k stands at 63.7% - the 2nd lowest in the country behind Carlow.

So from a purely local level we are doing fantastic no matter what any of the begrudgers say. The above numbers are genuine proof of the fact. So rather than focus on the "probable" clusters or outbreaks and spreading fear why not just continue following the basics recommendations of mask/distance/sanitise. "I feel that Covid has distorted our perception : Irish people know their stats, but overestimate its risks"
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/irish-people-know-their-covid-19-stats-but-overestimate-its-risk-1.4335028

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

spookwoman wrote: »

This is actually frightening! We have all the restrictions, raised to an increased level last week. Causing huge economic hardship to thousands of people because one person is in hospital! I’m actually gobsmacked that more people are not seeing how stupid all these blanket restrictions are.

BBM77 wrote: »
    This is actually frightening! We have all the restrictions, raised to an increased level last week. Causing huge economic hardship to thousands of people because one person is in hospital! I’m actually gobsmacked that more people are not seeing how stupid all these blanket restrictions are.

restrictions makes sense to me, we ve no real clue what will happen next regarding this virus, and its clearly obvious, our health system doesnt have much capacity left, our government is defaulting to its normal fiscal conservatism, now is really not the time for that nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    restrictions makes sense to me, we ve no real clue what will happen next regarding this virus, and its clearly obvious, our health system doesnt have much capacity left, our government is defaulting to its normal fiscal conservatism, now is really not the time for that nonsense

The restrictions made sense when they were on a county by county basis. Makes no sense to be increasing restrictions in a city/county with one person in hospital with COVID-19 and among the lowest incidence rate in the country. Politicians are fond of saying COVID-19 cases are not just numbers they are people and families. The economic suffering is not just statistics either they are people and families too. A lot of people seem to be just blinding excepting restrictions as a way to deal with COVID-19. They don’t work, we are in no better a position than we were in March. The restrictions are just creating economic problems on top of a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

BBM77 wrote: »

Check out what Dr. David Nabarro, the WHO's Special Envoy on Covid said recently. Dr Nabarro made the statements in an interview with The Spectator.

"The only time we believe a lockdown in justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources; protect your health workers who are exhausted," Dr Nabarro said."But by and large, we'd rather not do it."Dr Nabarro told The Spectator the economic impact on small countries that rely on tourism and increased poverty levels are two major effects of shutting communities down.

"We really do appeal to all world leaders, stop using lockdown as your primary method of control," he said. "Lockdowns have just one consequence that you must never ever belittle, and that is making poor people an awful lot poorer."

Just for a bit of context again. He works for the World Health Organisation! When you have a person in this this position and calibre voicing this you wonder WTF the Govt here in Ireland is at?? And the media too - since talk of moving to Level 5 last Sunday that has been the primary topic of conversation. Makes you wonder ;)

Advertisement