Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

HSE Operations report

7 Confirmed in Hospital +1
    1 Confirmed in CC No Change
    0 Suspected in CC No Change

15 General beds available -15
    2 CC beds available No change

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-20-00-19-october-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Irish Independent, Saturday edit. "Last Call" column by Ian O'Doherty.
    "We are all living in a state of stasis. A form of suspended animation seems to have kicked in for many of us. If you step back and look at the people around you, there's a good chance that most of them will be displaying some degree of apathy. We are now living in the era of the collective Covid brain, which has reduced us to a shadow of our former selves. The fact that many people simply shrugged at the idea of Christmas being cancelled is a sure sign that we're collectively losing our mojo. The more sensible among us understand the reasons behind the restrictions, even if many of us also think they have been too drastic. But I do worry that we have gone into a national, emotional funk where all our energy is sapped and there's no pep in our step. The longer the restrictions continue, the harder it will be to break that cycle. Even when this virus is gone, we will be facing consequences for a long time".

Fast forward 48hrs. Straight to Level 5. Nationwide. The plan for stepping up levels abolished. Despite having some of the lowest figures in the country. A six week stretch at the very least. It's going to be one bleak mid Winter for a lot of people. This current regime has been catastrophic in terms of communication, planning and strategy for the pandemic. Rather than being proactive and capitalising on the initial success in suppressing the first wave the Government went on holidays. Who remembers Dr Tony Holohan on the Late Late telling us we had flattened the curve?
    So here we are at the beginning again. Groundhog day. Deja vu. Lock us all away once more. See you in the New Year? Six weeks my aras!

I don't understand why you're mentioning Tony Holohan saying we flattened the curve. Do you think he lied?

Do you understand that when he said that, cases had dropped significantly? Do you understand that now, there has been a big jump in cases? Do you understand that, in Waterford specifically, we are seeing higher cases now than ever before? Do you understand that, between March and September, there were times when we went weeks without a single new case and now, on many days over the past few weeks, we have had cases in double digits? Do you understand that level 3 in a select few counties didn't appear to make much difference so, a jump to level 5 appears to now be the best option?

The information from the government and the hse has been very simple all along, wear a mask, practice good hand hygiene, keep your social contacts to a minimum, if you must leave the country, isolate for 2 weeks when you get home, spend as little time as possible in areas where social distancing isn't always possible and do what you can to help and protect the elderly and the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I'm so fed up of people not wearing masks properly when shopping.
    Wearing them for show when walking in the door, then under the chin for the rest of it.
    Seriously, you're in a shop for 20 mins max, is it that much of a chore?
    Staff are not allowed police it. Please police yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I don't understand why you're mentioning Tony Holohan saying we flattened the curve. Do you think he lied?

Do you understand that when he said that, cases had dropped significantly? Do you understand that now, there has been a big jump in cases? Do you understand that, in Waterford specifically, we are seeing higher cases now than ever before? Do you understand that, between March and September, there were times when we went weeks without a single new case and now, on many days over the past few weeks, we have had cases in double digits? Do you understand that level 3 in a select few counties didn't appear to make much difference so, a jump to level 5 appears to now be the best option?

The information from the government and the hse has been very simple all along, wear a mask, practice good hand hygiene, keep your social contacts to a minimum, if you must leave the country, isolate for 2 weeks when you get home, spend as little time as possible in areas where social distancing isn't always possible and do what you can to help and protect the elderly and the vulnerable.

Why is it the best option? WHO does not recommend lockdowns under such circumstances.

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    I don’t see the significance of the Ian O’doherty Quote......such a self righteous individual......it’s been a simple message all along since last March reduce the number of social contacts to bare minimum, wear a mask, wash your hands and don’t sneeze or cough on people......but majority obviously are too lazy, selfish or just plain stupid to follow such basic instructions....reflects maybe the ‘I’m alright jack....eff everyone else’ society that we have become.

I love this. You have NPHET a bunch of people with jobs for life and great state pension that won’t be made redundant or suffer any economic consequences because of their advice. If that is not an ‘I’m alright jack....eff everyone else’ attitude I don’t know what is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BBM77 wrote: »
    I love this. You have NPHET a bunch of people with jobs for life and great state pension that won’t be made redundant or suffer any economic consequences because of their advice. If that is not an ‘I’m alright jack....eff everyone else’ attitude I don’t know what is.

once again, nphets mandate is ultimately to protect the health service, period! its the governments job to manage the whole lot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Lads, if we don't like lockdowns, we need to change fundamentally my how we operate as a society. Drop the "ah sure it's grand" attitude. Tackle and confront the many many idiots not adhering to guidelines. Lose the idea that you are entitled to be as drunk and/or stupid as you want anywhere anytime up to and including turning your private home into a public house equivalent because you are prohibited from attending one.

Take not just personal responsibility for our own actions but communal responsibility over those who just will not behave in a decent manner. This type of behaviour is common to most of the better functioning northern European nations and could be argued this is why they are almost uniformly seen as great places to live/work.

Sound plausible for Ireland? Thought so. Lockdowns it is. We need enforcement too however. We are that far off the other side of European in how we behave, the stick is definitely required here.

Lads, if we don't like lockdowns, we need to change fundamentally my how we operate as a society. Drop the "ah sure it's grand" attitude. Tackle and confront the many many idiots not adhering to guidelines. Lose the idea that you are entitled to be as drunk and/or stupid as you want anywhere anytime up to and including turning your private home into a public house equivalent because you are prohibited from attending one.

Take not just personal responsibility for our own actions but communal responsibility over those who just will not behave in a decent manner. This type of behaviour is common to most of the better functioning northern European nations and could be argued this is why they are almost uniformly seen as great places to live/work.

Sound plausible for Ireland? Thought so. Lockdowns it is. We need enforcement too however. We are that far off the other side of European in how we behave, the stick is definitely required here.

yup, antagonising your fellow citizens is working in countries such as america by....

id say lads in the jungles know the recommendations at this stage

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    once again, nphets mandate is ultimately to protect the health service, period! its the governments job to manage the whole lot

Ah, yeah. That is what I wrote, they are only thinking of themselves. There is no way level 5 is a balance between nphets and the everything else.

Ah, yeah. That is what I wrote, they are only thinking of themselves. There is no way level 5 is a balance between nphets and the everything else.

do you need a functioning health service?

• Advertisement

Oh, go away. Stupid bloody comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

That question presupposes we had a functioning health service to start with.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Oh, go away. Stupid bloody comment.

is it really?

..or do you want an even more dysfunctional health service?

Why is it the best option? WHO does not recommend lockdowns under such circumstances.

The WHO have most recently said that lockdowns shouldn’t be used as the primary method to control the disease. They say that other measures should be used first and, as we can all see by the numbers, mask wearing, hand hygiene and social distancing, as the primary method of control, are not working. As per the WHO, if these measures are not working, harsher measures must be implemented. The WHO have very clearly stated that lockdowns should be used if cases get out of control.

Probably more to do with the fact they are some of the lease densely populated countries in the world. Also, nightclubs are not popular in that part of the world. Things like that make it harder for the virus to spread.

Fair point. Why does the health service being under pressure bother the government now? Never bothered them before.

is it really?

..or do you want an even more dysfunctional health service?

Yes, it is really. Because I disagree with the extent of the restrictions I don’t need or want a functioning health service. Silly statement to make.

Yes, it is really. Because I disagree with the extent of the restrictions I don’t need or want a functioning health service. Silly statement to make.

thats fair enough, but i suspect most other citizens would

Fair point. Why does the health service being under pressure bother the government now? Never bothered them before.

Who cares when it started bothering them, as long as it is bothering them and they are actually doing something to protect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

This spring we increased the number of ICU beds by 57% and we never ran out of capacity.

A combination of this surge capacity and us all making an effort to reduce our contacts ensured we never ran out of beds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can I just say thank God amateur sport is unencumbered by this lock down, I'm sure we'll all be lifted by the local football, hurling, gee-gees and soccer while people are told to stay in their homes and the arts etc is shut again.

Probably more to do with the fact they are some of the lease densely populated countries in the world. Also, nightclubs are not popular in that part of the world. Things like that make it harder for the virus to spread.

Germany and the Netherlands are sparsely populated? Compared to where? Scandinavia is also heavily concentrated in urban areas.

The WHO have most recently said that lockdowns shouldn’t be used as the primary method to control the disease. They say that other measures should be used first and, as we can all see by the numbers, mask wearing, hand hygiene and social distancing, as the primary method of control, are not working. As per the WHO, if these measures are not working, harsher measures must be implemented. The WHO have very clearly stated that lockdowns should be used if cases get out of control.

So what happens in Jan when the cases shoot up again? Or will we have the vaccine that we are going to magically develop in the shortest time ever then produce and give to 6 billion people, the amount needed to get herd immunity. Then problem solved. This is the “best option” we are on after all. Lockdowns and restriction until the vaccine that nobody is even sure can be developed yet is ready. Plus, you do know that people have been confirmed to have been reinfected with COVID-19? So there is evidence immunity may not be possible or is short-lived. So we are going to periodically keep going into lockdowns and suffer the many problems they cause waiting for what may well be a pipe dream of a vaccine. If that is a strategy that you or anybody else think makes sense, fair enough.

Germany and the Netherlands are sparsely populated? Compared to where? Scandinavia is also heavily concentrated in urban areas.

I was talking about Scandinavia.

yup, antagonising your fellow citizens is working in countries such as america by....

id say lads in the jungles know the recommendations at this stage

I was speaking of high functioning societies/excellent places to live. America doesn't belong in such a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Havenwood and Killure Bridge nursing homes have covid :(
    https://twitter.com/WaterfordNS/status/1318500515270021126?s=20

I was speaking of high functioning societies/excellent places to live. America doesn't belong in such a conversation.

poor ould america is in bits alright, and we re on a similar path

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

poor ould america is in bits alright, and we re on a similar path

Oh yeah?
    So who'll be our Trump?
    David Cullinane?

We could build a wall to keep the Kilkenny lot out I suppose. ;)

kuang1 wrote: »
    Oh yeah?
    So who'll be our Trump?
    David Cullinane?

We could build a wall to keep the Kilkenny lot out I suppose. ;)

oh our own presidential election showed we re well capable of going full retard, when voting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Dr.Tony did not lie - the curve was flattened! Its just that in the immediate aftermath the country went on holidays from the mid of June & the Govt fell asleep @ the wheel! In fact there was a day in early July when the daily cases nationally was only 3! (Three!). Are you saying that the authorities did not relax instead of trying to actually eliminate the disease?

You ask many questions BTW. (Are you a school teacher perhaps?) Of course I understand all the points you are making. However, people are allowed to have a different point of view and perspective. I will try to address them in a calm fashion.

In reality, Level 3 or 3+ was not given an adequate time to have an effect on the numbers. I thought the whole point of the plan was to step up the levels step by step? From midnight tomorrow we enter L5. If we are being honest it wont be for 6 weeks it will extend into the New Year. Aside from the public health issues do ever stop to consider the pending social & economic catastrophe? Unemployment? Business closures? Mental health & social isolation? As you say L5 "appears" to be the best option but beyond this there is absolutely no strategy from the Govt. Do you really think people will forgo Christmas/NY gatherings and adhere by the letter of the guidelines? We will just continue in a long open/close existence till a possible vaccine appears.

Meanwhile take a listen to the latest podcast of Eamon Dunphy's The Stand;
    @ about 27m:30s he mentions Waterford as an example of how the local community/authorities reduced the local numbers quite quickly.
    https://thestandwitheamondunphy.com/episode/905/

Meanwhile as we enter L5 I will be unable to walk/cycle beyond 5km of my house; or go for a swim in the sea out in Tramore; both outside in the fresh air and uniquely solitary pursuits. Yet all the secondary schools are full of classrooms of adults in confined spaces many over whom travel over and beyond the 5km radius in cars/buses with their parents etc. Self same young adults gather in groups @ the school gates after class or in their free time the vast majority not adhering to social distancing or mask wearing. If you are looking for the reasons why the cases have begun to rise than you would have to look no further than the gates of any secondary school! I pass a large number of schools each morning on my way to work and have observed the behaviour of young adults for the past 6 weeks. TBH they think they are invincible.

Advertisement