Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Dr.Tony did not lie - the curve was flattened! Its just that in the immediate aftermath the country went on holidays from the mid of June & the Govt fell asleep @ the wheel! In fact there was a day in early July when the daily cases nationally was only 3! (Three!). Are you saying that the authorities did not relax instead of trying to actually eliminate the disease?

You ask many questions BTW. (Are you a school teacher perhaps?) Of course I understand all the points you are making. However, people are allowed to have a different point of view and perspective. I will try to address them in a calm fashion.

In reality, Level 3 or 3+ was not given an adequate time to have an effect on the numbers. I thought the whole point of the plan was to step up the levels step by step? From midnight tomorrow we enter L5. If we are being honest it wont be for 6 weeks it will extend into the New Year. Aside from the public health issues do ever stop to consider the pending social & economic catastrophe? Unemployment? Business closures? Mental health & social isolation? As you say L5 "appears" to be the best option but beyond this there is absolutely no strategy from the Govt. Do you really think people will forgo Christmas/NY gatherings and adhere by the letter of the guidelines? We will just continue in a long open/close existence till a possible vaccine appears.

Meanwhile take a listen to the latest podcast of Eamon Dunphy's The Stand;
    @ about 27m:30s he mentions Waterford as an example of how the local community/authorities reduced the local numbers quite quickly.
    https://thestandwitheamondunphy.com/episode/905/

Meanwhile as we enter L5 I will be unable to walk/cycle beyond 5km of my house; or go for a swim in the sea out in Tramore; both outside in the fresh air and uniquely solitary pursuits. Yet all the secondary schools are full of classrooms of adults in confined spaces many over whom travel over and beyond the 5km radius in cars/buses with their parents etc. Self same young adults gather in groups @ the school gates after class or in their free time the vast majority not adhering to social distancing or mask wearing. If you are looking for the reasons why the cases have begun to rise than you would have to look no further than the gates of any secondary school! I pass a large number of schools each morning on my way to work and have observed the behaviour of young adults for the past 6 weeks. TBH they think they are invincible.

I don’t think a lot people here who think the restrictions are the best option get how hard this one point is on single people who live alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

BBM77 wrote: »
    I don’t think a lot people here who think the restrictions are the best option get how hard this one point is on single people who live alone.

Definitely! 100%! Not to go into the details but I currently live alone as a result of the breakup of a very long term relationship (15yrs+) and Govt restrictions do not really focus those of us living on our own through no fault of our own. Being middle aged with all of my friends wed with kids my social bubble shrank as the years passed. The departure of a significant other further eroded the numbers of friendly contacts. Thankfully I more a glass half full than half empty guy so I have adapted. But as I mentioned in my initial post, from this coming Thursday if I decide to go for a cycle, a walk, a swim I cannot go past the 5km radius (in theory). Any of my remaining friends are scattered far and wide with their own lives to lead and any occasional chat or video call pales into insignificance compared to face-to-face contact. Apart from travelling to/from work for the forseeable future am I just supposed to spend my free time as a virtual hermit during the darkening days of Winter. What I would say be careful for what you wish for, appreciate the person you are with, your kids etc because it can all change and vanish in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

****ing livid and then we find out what we're aiming for Level 3 which is still very restrictive

They won't go too lower cause its Christmastime

Definitely! 100%! Not to go into the details but I currently live alone as a result of the breakup of a very long term relationship (15yrs+) and Govt restrictions do not really focus those of us living on our own through no fault of our own. Being middle aged with all of my friends wed with kids my social bubble shrank as the years passed. The departure of a significant other further eroded the numbers of friendly contacts. Thankfully I more a glass half full than half empty guy so I have adapted. But as I mentioned in my initial post, from this coming Thursday if I decide to go for a cycle, a walk, a swim I cannot go past the 5km radius (in theory). Any of my remaining friends are scattered far and wide with their own lives to lead and any occasional chat or video call pales into insignificance compared to face-to-face contact. Apart from travelling to/from work for the forseeable future am I just supposed to spend my free time as a virtual hermit during the darkening days of Winter. What I would say be careful for what you wish for, appreciate the person you are with, your kids etc because it can all change and vanish in an instant.

Completely understand how you feel. I am single and live alone also. Have been working from home since March. Then as you say you are expected to be a virtual hermit as well in your free time. Well Nphet can go jump for themselves. I will continuing cycling this lockdown and it will certainly be beyond 5km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We can all meet in a car park! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We can all meet in a car park! :D

...and have a major session, anything goes! fcuk it!

I hear the back of the Aldi in the Glen is a popular spot :)

I hear the back of the Aldi in the Glen is a popular spot :)

the old glass site certainly was a very popular place, at the beginning of covid

The pubs again getting a raw deal. Level 3 is the maximum level we could go too on the 1st Dec

No way those government twits will change terms for level 3 going into Christmas

Completely understand how you feel. I am single and live alone also. Have been working from home since March. Then as you say you are expected to be a virtual hermit as well in your free time. Well Nphet can go jump for themselves. I will continuing cycling this lockdown and it will certainly be beyond 5km.

Apparently if you live alone your social "support bubble" is permitted to be outside the 5km radius:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/

So no reason to keep cycling to reach that bubble beyond ;)

• Advertisement

None of these fit me.
    You can form a support bubble with another household in any of the following situations:

if you are living alone with children under the age of 18
    if you live alone and have mental health challenges
    if you share parenting or custody arrangements
    if you live with a partner who has dementia (needs full-time care)
    if you live by yourself and have a carer or carers who support you

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The pubs again getting a raw deal. Level 3 is the maximum level we could go too on the 1st Dec

No way those government twits will change terms for level 3 going into Christmas

Leo also saying no guarantee shops will reopen "unless impossible target is met"

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/pubs-shops-could-closed-christmas-22874571?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&fbclid=IwAR2XmXtnNT1c9VjhBRxKf5-rA2ILGN7QalenGw8Q7ULMbP4_09-BZdx0JME

:D I meet impossible targets every day I get up. Tis easy!

:D I meet impossible targets every day I get up. Tis easy!

Hitting the ceiling, good man:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I am single and live alone and can understand why these restrictions are the best option at the moment as, mask wearing, hand hygiene and social distancing, as the primary method of control, are not working.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Beyond a joke

Never been a fan but Ciara Kelly is getting it in the neck for saying similar things to how I feel.

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/video/home/582510/watch-dr-ciara-kelly-causes-twitter-storm-with-level-5-lockdown-comments.html

What happens in Jan when the cases shoot up again? And they will shoot up again.

Kelly is right and wrong. She seems to think herd immunity is actually viable and in that clip at least doesn't acknowledge why the "lockdown" is coming now. It's to stop the ICU being overwhelmed in a month.

However she is correct in that we'll just be doing this again in the new year and probably again a few months after that, unless behaviour among the "shrug, sure tis grand" cohort changes fundamentally, plus an all-Ireland plan of action.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Leo also saying no guarantee shops will reopen "unless impossible target is met"

Looking like an online-virtual Christmas this year by the sounds of it! :confused:

Leo's also laying the groundwork for a barren, dry festive period for the pubs whilst he is at it....
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1020/1172711-pubs-and-restaurants-covid-19/

Aside from the actual virus itself this prolonged pandemic and imminent 2nd Lockdown here in Ireland will cause huge collateral damage to the economy and by association we the people.

Never been a fan but Ciara Kelly is getting it in the neck for saying similar things to how I feel.

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/video/home/582510/watch-dr-ciara-kelly-causes-twitter-storm-with-level-5-lockdown-comments.html

What happens in Jan when the cases shoot up again? And they will shoot up again.

yup, we may have to go through a couple of lockdowns and reopens, in order to ultimately protect our health service

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    yup, we may have to go through a couple of lockdowns and reopens, in order to ultimately protect our health service

If we are to go into a groundhog day phase of opening & closing what about protecting the jobs, livelihoods and mental health of our people? You can only coerce or push people so far before that push sends them walking away in the opposite direction. Everyone has their limits.

If we are to go into a groundhog day phase of opening & closing what about protecting the jobs, livelihoods and mental health of our people? You can only coerce or push people so far before that push sends them walking away in the opposite direction. Everyone has their limits.

yup, this wont be an easy task, and yup, the people will eventually have enough, so we ll see what happens, the next couple of months are gonna be rough

The strategy is based on the presumption of a vaccine in 2021, if it's not likely then "the live with it" approach will unavoidable I think, the powers might be lucky that two lockdowns would bring us close to Spring and then a fall in incidence and then maybe a vaccine available in the mid-late summer. We might just get away with it.

The strategy is based on the presumption of a vaccine in 2021, if it's not likely then "the live with it" approach will unavoidable I think, the powers might be lucky that two lockdowns would bring us close to Spring and then a fall in incidence and then maybe a vaccine available in the mid-late summer. We might just get away with it.

i think its just a strategy of hope tbh, hope and praying

The NPHET letter states they hope to have the numbers down to between 50-100 by 1st December, and that the cases will be up to 300 by early January, so we know where this is going.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/10/20/nphet-letter-to-government-predicts-50-daily-cases-by-christmas/

Martin also saying that this will be with us for all of 2021 and no guarantees about 22/23

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/well-still-be-in-cycle-of-higher-and-lower-restrictions-through-2021-warns-taoiseach-39646744.html

This is extremely depressing, speaking for myself, I'm finding things difficult at the moment, and I have a good network of family, work and friends, I can only imagine what people on their own are going through, and if this drags on, I dread to think of where we'll be

Mohole doesn't know anything, I'll wait for some commentary from those who work on vaccines thanks!

but were the hospitals overrun in lockdown 1 ??

The staff had time to sing and dance around the place while the media/general public were kissing up to them

I'm just livid cause our leaders wont take a better approach and will go by NPHET advice every time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Why not pump the money we as a country are loosing into the health service instead of this lockdown to protect the health service?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Another 22 additional cases reported for Waterford this evening and 51 cases for our neighbours in Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Why not pump the money we as a country are loosing into the health service instead of this lockdown to protect the health service?

We'll have to do both. Throwing money at health won't get us there. Even just to hire with no training involved takes time. Then capacity means more space, more equipment, more staff etc all of which take time. We would likely still need to lockdown to buy that time.

Why didn't we do that in the months leading up to now is the question and my best guess would be that all the eggs are thrown into the basket of paying for early vaccine access as this will be a once off payment to fix a problem rather than getting caught up with paying yet more money on an ongoing basis to the waste pit that is the HSE.

Advertisement