Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man city (not) banned from Champions league for 2 years [Mod note see first post]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

wonder when the full report is going to be released?

Ha ha, UEFA's dog ate it probably.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

can that thread title be changed?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

CAS Statement as PDF
    The final award with reasons will be published on the CAS website in a few days.

https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/CAS_Media_Release_6785_Decision.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not cooperating with the investigation at all, so that the investigation ends up with the more serious charges not being established due to the 'limited investigative means' of the body doing the investigating, and consequently paying only a €10 million quid fine for not cooperating with the investigation seems like the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

CAS acknowledge that city did break the rules, but because UEFA investigated poorly, or didn't get the evidence in time that makes it all okay?

This is a win for city in terms if their being no ban, but they've effectively got off scott free for cheating the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not really that surprising at all. Shame there really isn’t any appetite for the sprit to clean itself up.

Hopefully clubs like United , Liverpool and spurs can fly the flag for legitimately run clubs and challange these abominations trying to white wash crimes of their owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Drumpot wrote: »
    Not really that surprising at all. Shame there really isn’t any appetite for the sprit to clean itself up.

Hopefully clubs like United , Liverpool and spurs can fly the flag for legitimately run clubs and challange these abominations trying to white wash crimes of their owners.

You don't really have much choice as a fan. When the Saudis were linked with you guys I said I wouldn't want them involved in either of our clubs albeit for entirely different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In fairness, ffp has always been a bit toothless and very heavily loaded against teams that are coming up in anyway.

They should also not be dishing out fines so much, as it reeks of oh you spent x amount of money, so we want a cut. This is worse still when they give absolutely nonsense fines for disgusting gan behaviour.

Transfer bans, squad limits, forcing x amount of academy players in match day squads, games behind closed doors or at neutral venues.

Something like losing your clubs coefficient for x amount of seasons would be a good one too, and your countries as a knock on.

This would force fas to take it very seriously, and force clubs to potentially lose lucrative preseason matches to play in the arse end of europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I expect a 10M sponsorship deal with Etihad Something-or-other to be announced tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What's the actual point in FFP anymore?

Probably to stop smaller club spending beyond their means but when UEFA will now allow anyone come in and spend billions at a club over a short space of time, it makes a mockery of having an even and fair playing field. Organic growth is no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I expect a 10M sponsorship deal with Etihad Something-or-other to be announced tomorrow

Etihad are broke. Not a chance

Would be interesting to see the reaction of most of my neighbours who are etihad employees on pretty hefty pay cuts or have been laid off. There might be riots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That would actually be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Get that thread title changed Mods. The amount of bile posted on here is shameful. Happens when you back the wrong horse I suppose. Time for that corrupt shower of ##### uefa to be disbanded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Soccer has always been a shyteshow behind the scenes.

Hell until Jimmy Hill it was akin to slave labour in Britain.

Just like most top sports it has attracted so many dodgy types behind the scenes, often using it for either washing money (see Napoli or Columbian clubs) or to improve their own less than stellar image.
    Everyone lauds Real Madrid and all their European wins, but has anyone ever looked how they won so many European Cups at the same time as their biggest backer old Franco was in charge.

And people talk about how Qatar gets the world cup, but never stop to think that Mussolini got it, the junta in Argentina got it.
    Hell with past histories I nearly expect Qatar to win the damn thing.

I am not allowed discuss …

gimli2112 wrote: »
    You don't really have much choice as a fan. When the Saudis were linked with you guys I said I wouldn't want them involved in either of our clubs albeit for entirely different reasons.

I know it’s not the fans fault. I would prefer to languish in our crap last 7 years then have Saudis cheat is back to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In fairness, ffp has always been a bit toothless and very heavily loaded against teams that are coming up in anyway.

They should also not be dishing out fines so much, as it reeks of oh you spent x amount of money, so we want a cut. This is worse still when they give absolutely nonsense fines for disgusting gan behaviour.

Transfer bans, squad limits, forcing x amount of academy players in match day squads, games behind closed doors or at neutral venues.

Something like losing your clubs coefficient for x amount of seasons would be a good one too, and your countries as a knock on.

This would force fas to take it very seriously, and force clubs to potentially lose lucrative preseason matches to play in the arse end of europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Get that thread title changed Mods. The amount of bile posted on here is shameful. Happens when you back the wrong horse I suppose. Time for that corrupt shower of ##### uefa to be disbanded.

Back the wrong horse?

Jesus wept

You got off on a technicality, showing up FFP for the joke that it is and giving a handy blueprint to every other sugar daddy white washing slush fund plaything for how to simply break whatever rules you like and simply refuse to cooperate with the investigation to get off.

Of course as it's your team this time round you are delighted, the sport on a wider scale is of little importance to you I appreciate that but it isn't just a case of being sore from backing the wrong horse, there is no righteous victory here for city.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

jmayo wrote: »
    Soccer has always been a shyteshow behind the scenes.

Hell until Jimmy Hill it was akin to slave labour in Britain.

Just like most top sports it has attracted so many dodgy types behind the scenes, often using it for either washing money (see Napoli or Columbian clubs) or to improve their own less than stellar image.
    Everyone lauds Real Madrid and all their European wins, but has anyone ever looked how they won so many European Cups at the same time as their biggest backer old Franco was in charge.

And people talk about how Qatar gets the world cup, but never stop to think that Mussolini got it, the junta in Argentina got it.
    Hell with past histories I nearly expect Qatar to win the damn thing.

Madrid also propped up by banks and got state aid to help fund their galactico adventure.

Yeh, theres lots of corruption in the sport, who knows, maybe the FBI can come in and help us out again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ah yes, Manchester United.

The club funded by the women haters and beheaders of Saudi Arabia.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2020/06/manchester-united-funded-by-saudi-arabia-for-12-years-by-deals-still-no-outrage-newcastle-united/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So with enough money you can buy yourself out of FFP sanctions. What a suprise.

Chelsea were so unfortunate to get conned.

• Advertisement

Back the wrong horse?

Jesus wept

You got off on a technicality, showing up FFP for the joke that it is and giving a handy blueprint to every other sugar daddy white washing slush fund plaything for how to simply break whatever rules you like and simply refuse to cooperate with the investigation to get off.

Of course as it's your team this time round you are delighted, the sport on a wider scale is of little importance to you I appreciate that but it isn't just a case of being sore from backing the wrong horse, there is no righteous victory here for city.
    The Cartels time is over. The game will be the better for it. A major Shake up coming at UEFA .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The Cartels time is over. The game will be the better for it. A major Shake up coming at UEFA .

Sheikh up at UEFA just happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hopefully they can rewrite the rules to make them actually useful going on this decision anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Was UEFA fined 10m?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Ah yes, Manchester United.

The club funded by the women haters and beheaders of Saudi Arabia.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2020/06/manchester-united-funded-by-saudi-arabia-for-12-years-by-deals-still-no-outrage-newcastle-united/

Ha, “funded by”. A 10 million Sponcorship deal to show video clips on a mobile network is not the same as being completely funded and financially steroid boosted entirely by these backers to wash their international reputation. Warped logic there....

Man City is a poster club for the corruption of the sport. They represent everything that the owners filthy money has built. Newcastle will be the same if that goes ahead.

Was UEFA fined 10m?

You do know the reason for the fine?. In a nutshell City were rightly pissed off with UEFA changing the goalposts every so often and made the decision to go straight to CAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I know it's a cliche but it's a sad day for football imo

I've never really hated City up until this season despite pipping us to the title in 2014 and last season and basically replacing us as top 4 mainstays for a few seasons.

However this season the whole spoiled brat woe is me mentality has really grated me. Emanating from the top of all the way down to their absolutely rotten fanbase. Would be fantastic if they got punished

Not so smug now.:rolleyes:

El Sueño wrote: »
    I know it's a cliche but it's a sad day for football imo

It's a great day for football. Hard to argue City have raised the bar to a level only Liverpool have matched so far. No more winning titles with 80 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I don't understand how cheating and getting away with it can be seen as a great day for football tbh

My heart goes out to Man Utd fans *

Liverpool win the title, Leeds on the verge of celebrating promotion, and City unbanned and crucially now possibly taking up a CL spot above them.

* may not be entirely true...

You do know the reason for the fine?. In a nutshell City were rightly pissed off with UEFA changing the goalposts every so often and made the decision to go straight to CAS.
    Yes. City ("MCFC’s disregard of such principle and its obstruction of the investigations" = corrupt) were fined, and UEFA was not.

Yes. City ("MCFC’s disregard of such principle and its obstruction of the investigations" = corrupt) were fined, and UEFA was not.
    Ha ha . Why would they cooperate with an organisation they know to be corrupt?
    UEFA lost .

UEFA lost .
    So they refuse to coop with UEFA because thy believe them to be corrupt, but City and you are ok to have an owner/state that is deeply corrupt and violates a number of human rights on a daily basis?
    City showed they were corrupt, which CAS agreed with by fining them. CAS just didn't believe that it warranted a ban, just the 10m fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭BenK

Liverpool win the title, Leeds on the verge of celebrating promotion, and City unbanned and crucially now possibly taking up a CL spot above them.

Strange take on things. Probably not the place to discuss it but I think most United fans are very happy with how things are starting to look up for United these days after years of mediocrity. No guarantee of anything of course but things look to be progressing nicely.

Would I have liked City to get banned? Of course, but that's just pettiness on my part!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You know when I read this I thought the Leeds part was humourous. So I went to the Leeds thread and low and behold there you are on the most recent page talking about Bremner. LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's a great day for football. Hard to argue City have raised the bar to a level only Liverpool have matched so far. No more winning titles with 80 points.

Yeah, they have raised the bar in the same way that Ben Johnson did for the 100M.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

This little pin is not busting the happy bubble United fans are in since footy re started. Results going our way, us capitalising on them finally, we had plenty of chances pre covid and fcuked them up plenty of times, if not all the time. Since the signing of Bruno and the emergence of that boy Greenwood things have swung in our favour. Liverpool/Leeds etc not even a blip on the radar for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

El Sueño wrote: »
    I don't understand how cheating and getting away with it can be seen as a great day for football tbh

Financial "Fair" Play was brought in to protect the elite clubs from competition.

A legalised form of corruption.

Fixing the rules to suit their own monopolies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

FFP is and has been nonsense anyway. The current bigger clubs are protected by it because any investment into any other club wanting to dare challenge this elite is now stunted and makes the likelihood of anyone breaking into it consistently via investment/takeover quite remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

United should be strong enough to get third.

Not surprised with the appeal being won, UEFA didn’t have enough concrete evidence. Also the timescale which CAS will put out in a few days seems like most these irregularities where over five years ago? I’ve no doubt in my mind the wrong doings of city, the owner comes from a blood money family with a long track record of human rights offences.

Was only 12 months ago City where praised for ‘saving football’ to deny Liverpool a title. In football fans are a reflection of the governing bodies, senseless and futile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Where can City go next to prove their innocence?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Financial "Fair" Play was brought in to protect the elite clubs from competition.

A legalised form of corruption.

Fixing the rules to suit their own monopolies.

JampackedYellowishGalago-max-1mb.gif

United should be strong enough to get third.

Not surprised with the appeal being won, UEFA didn’t have enough concrete evidence. Also the timescale which CAS will put out in a few days seems like most these irregularities where over five years ago? I’ve no doubt in my mind the wrong doings of city, the owner comes from a blood money family with a long track record of human rights offences.

Was only 12 months ago City where praised for ‘saving football’ to deny Liverpool a title. In football fans are a reflection of the governing bodies, senseless and futile.

It’s the same with politics and it’s population. Trump , Brexiteers and the rise of far right nationalism (zenophobia etc) is a reflection of society.

Man City winning this appeal, Newcastle potential takeover, what’s probably worse for us fans is that these are representations of the wider corruption within the sport. They are front page an center whereas most corruption happens in the backround.

So they refuse to coop with UEFA because thy believe them to be corrupt, but City and you are ok to have an owner/state that is deeply corrupt and violates a number of human rights on a daily basis?
    City showed they were corrupt, which CAS agreed with by fining them. CAS just didn't believe that it warranted a ban, just the 10m fine.
    Where the **** do CAS say they believe City to be corrupt?

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Where can City go next to prove their innocence?

Today’s result is to be announced After the beheading in Deera square this Friday....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

UEFA lost .

Ah no they did not lose. CAS still upheld the charge just did not agree with punishment. if EUFA lost there be no fine and City be found innocent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Where the **** do CAS say they believe City to be corrupt?

CAS said that UEFA should have brought the case before the 5 years limit was up. That's doesn't in any way say that City are innocent or that CAS believe they are, only that UEFA fcuked up their case by not following their own rules

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement