Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man city (not) banned from Champions league for 2 years [Mod note see first post]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This probably means 5th place will be enough to keep Solskjaer in the job. Pep then leaving and being replaced by Poch would be the scutter on top of the sh*t sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Madrid to knock Pep out this season would be poetic.
    Yeah the club that the spanish bank Caja Madrid has bailed out time after time. Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Madrid to knock Pep out this season would be poetic.

and then Liverpool to knock out Madrid in the QF's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

murpho999 wrote: »
    Who?

Do you mean van Dijk?

Clearly a typo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

They'll appeal, drag it out, pay off who needs to be paid off, over the table in fines and if necessary is suspect under it too if needed. They have the finances to make this difficult for UEFA on so many levels....what are the chances of UEFA getting hacked (or emails being leaked) in the near future?

Big move from UEFA. Really doubling down on the FFP taking on City/UAE. Everyone with any reason knew or at least suspected the gist of what was going on at City, but proving it, and making it stick is another thing.

Suspect the suspension will be appealed and 'suspended', City will appeal to UEFA and CAS and maybe even the German Supreme Court, eventually UEFA will get tired and their legal costs will keep climbing, and they will make a settlement for gazillions of petrodollars.

Big embarrassment for the PR vehicle that is the Manchester City project though.

Chelsea appealed their ban but still had to serve a one window ban. It depends when they can get a hearing. Just wondering if city win the double ( league cup and fa cup) would 8th get Europe? Could make mid table very interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well this is clearly all LiVARpool's fault!

On a serious note tho, delighted to see the financial doping that has been rampant there being dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

FluffPiece wrote: »
    From what I remember, both PSG and Chelsea agreed to cooperate with any investigations and basically bent over for UEFA.

After the big Mbappe/Neymar buys spread over 2 summers they have tried to balanced it out with selling or letting go the likes of Nkunku, Rabiot, Matuidi, Lo Celso, Guedes, Pastore, Trapp, Moura & Aurier. They also brought in the likes of Diarra, Chupo Moteng, Buffon, Alves, Icardi & Ben Arfa on loan or frees to try save money.
    Chelsea still spend a nice bit but its not quite City who in comparison bring in little from sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There's going to be some atmosphere at the Eitihad against RM

The CL anthem will be booed like never before.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There's going to be some atmosphere at the Eitihad against RM

Will there? Will it even sell out?

Who was the poster that was absolutely certain there was nothing to see here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

PhilipsR wrote: »
    I’ll believe it when I see it.

Appeal and overturned to just a fine incoming.

Was my first thought as well, it's so harsh it's designed to be reduced on appeal.

Is it harsh though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

When it goes to a court of law and all evidence from both sides are on the table then we'll get the truth. until then business as usual. 5th place qualify my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

lawred2 wrote: »
    Had this happened before? To any other club?

Yup, a few times. FK Vardar and Levski Sofia were banned a few seasons ago, and AC Milan received a 1 year ban last summer, with a second year of the ban left pending, provided they get their **** together by 2021.

That AC Milan example is the one to watch I think - they initially got a straight up 2 year ban and fine, but after going through CAS, it was reduced to 1 year and then a re-examination of their finances. That's what I expect to happen here.

Watching sky sports here. It seems it's more than just breaking the rules, but actively trying to hide and deceive the rule breakage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Watching sky sports here. It seems it's more than just breaking the rules, but actively trying to hide and deceive the rule breakage

The Guardian article lays it out fairly well, Harry linked it earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

xtal191 wrote: »
    €30m fine too

The Sheikh's will sponsor the tea ladies for €30m and run that through the books.
    The fine coupled with no CL revenue for 2 years is a massive amount of money to lose out on, potentially over 200m

Ooops! Looks like they'll have to sponsor the cleaners for €200m on top of that.

It'll be like this.

61yzSsL0JiL._SL1000_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yup, a few times. FK Vardar and Levski Sofia were banned a few seasons ago, and AC Milan received a 1 year ban last summer, with a second year of the ban left pending, provided they get their **** together by 2021.

That AC Milan example is the one to watch I think - they initially got a straight up 2 year ban and fine, but after going through CAS, it was reduced to 1 year and then a re-examination of their finances. That's what I expect to happen here.

Milan opened their books. I don't see City opening their books to independent auditors.

Maybe reduced to one on appeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Somebody in UEFA didn't get their cut. Or just not enough.

2 years ban blackmail should do.

Bigger fine, but no CL ban is worth millions.

They will stay and someone will finish the pool somewhere nice around their little palace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

my 2 cents on this.
    All clubs sign up to participation agreements afaik and in these participation agreements these rules are outlined.

I am not sure that CAS will overrule this or should overrule if in effect City signed the participation agreement and broke said agreed rules.
    The sticking point may well be the punishment but if the punishment is also outlined City may not have a leg to stand on.

Interestingly according to CAS rules both parties need to agree so strictly speaking UEFA could tell city to take a hike and not agree

https://www.tas-cas.org/en/general-information/frequently-asked-questions.html
    "Under what conditions will the CAS intervene ?
    For a dispute to be submitted to arbitration by the CAS, the parties must agree to this in writing. Such agreement may be on a one-off basis or appear in a contract or the statutes or regulations of a sports organization. Parties may agree in advance to submit any future dispute to arbitration by the CAS, or they can agree to have recourse to the CAS after a dispute has arisen."

Also Rubin kazan had their appeal dismissed (the UEFA rule stood) on 29th may 2019 (the uefa ruling was 19th sept 2018) so at the pace of CAS there is little to no chance this will be resolved by the start of the season.

Alot of people saying this may be reduced or overturned. Will it though? This is a second conviction for city. Fined £49m back in 2014 for FFP transgressions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

adaminho wrote: »
    Chelsea appealed their ban but still had to serve a one window ban. It depends when they can get a hearing. Just wondering if city win the double ( league cup and fa cup) would 8th get Europe? Could make mid table very interesting!

Actually just realised, if one of the English teams were to win the Europa league 9th could technically get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Alot of people saying this may be reduced or overturned. Will it though? This is a second conviction for city. Fined £49m back in 2014 for FFP transgressions.

These things are almost always reduced in fairness, Chelsea's transfer ban for instance being removed for January

I presume any appeal will be tactically timed to ensure they are in the cl next season.

Maybe they should have spoken to the saracens owners. At least when they cheated they dominated europe

I forgot the first one I must see if they appealed that to CAS.
    Nope they acepted the fine no appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This probably means 5th place will be enough to keep Solskjaer in the job. Pep then leaving and being replaced by Poch would be the scutter on top of the sh*t sandwich.

Man City are appealing the fine and ban to the Court of Arbitration of Sport in Geneva. Due process would say that their fine and ban are suspended until that hearing and Im guessing the soonest that can be is at least six months away. So 5th place wont be getting CL this season, possibly the next one if City lose their case.

Aside from that I thought the 30 million fine was pretty puny, should have been 100m to properly send a message out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tippex wrote: »
    my 2 cents on this.
    All clubs sign up to participation agreements afaik and in these participation agreements these rules are outlined.

I am not sure that CAS will overrule this or should overrule if in effect City signed the participation agreement and broke said agreed rules.
    The sticking point may well be the punishment but if the punishment is also outlined City may not have a leg to stand on.

Interestingly according to CAS rules both parties need to agree so strictly speaking UEFA could tell city to take a hike and not agree

https://www.tas-cas.org/en/general-information/frequently-asked-questions.html
    "Under what conditions will the CAS intervene ?
    For a dispute to be submitted to arbitration by the CAS, the parties must agree to this in writing. Such agreement may be on a one-off basis or appear in a contract or the statutes or regulations of a sports organization. Parties may agree in advance to submit any future dispute to arbitration by the CAS, or they can agree to have recourse to the CAS after a dispute has arisen."

Also Rubin kazan had their appeal dismissed (the UEFA rule stood) on 29th may 2019 (the uefa ruling was 19th sept 2018) so at the pace of CAS there is little to no chance this will be resolved by the start of the season.

It’s likely already built into contracts between clubs and UEFA. It’ll go the cas, one year ban with second suspended. Fine to remain.

godtabh wrote: »
    It’s likely already built into contracts between clubs and UEFA. It’ll go the cas, one year ban with second suspended. Fine to remain.

Thats true it most likely is in the contracts.

I found this from the BBC intriguing as I did not know they had tried to appeal the investigation in the first place this was only publlished yesterday.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51483162

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ode to Man City

Roses are Red,
    Violets are blue,
    The Winner of the Next 2 Champions Leagues
    Won’t be you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

"1 down 6 to go" ... That's appalling,just shows their disregard for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭testtech05

"1 down 6 to go" ... That's appalling,just shows their disregard for everything else.

Was the exact part I noticed.

President of la liga said they have been asking UEFA to investigate city and psg for years, and fair play for enforcing their own rules

UrbanFret wrote: »
    When it goes to a court of law and all evidence from both sides are on the table then we'll get the truth. until then business as usual. 5th place qualify my arse.

Even if they are banned the spot should not automatically go to pl club.

It should be a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

wonski wrote: »
    Even if they are banned the spot should not automatically go to pl club.

It should be a draw.

Why? Premier League has 4 spots. It's not the leagues fault that City broke the UEFA rules and got themselves banned so why should they be punished too by losing a spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

?? So it's just a 2 year transfer ban then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

And while we're at it, PSG should be banned as well, 400m on 2 players...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pep Guardiola will consider his future as manager in the summer, Telegraph Sport understands, unless the club is able to overturn a verdict which condemns "serious breaches" in payments by executives."

8-10 wrote: »
    Why? Premier League has 4 spots. It's not the leagues fault that City broke the UEFA rules and got themselves banned so why should they be punished too by losing a spot?

From team quality point of view only.

If team fail to progress I don't think why a team from England should get it. Undeserved progression to the next stage.

If 5th team from England doesn't deserve it normally, why should it get now?

A draw would be fair.

Etihad should be banned from European football. That would be fun anyway.

?? So it's just a 2 year transfer ban then?

The tweet looks as if it is from Fab romano with the way it is worded like a piece of transfer news:rolleyes: not the same when it needs to be explained

From team quality point of view only.

If team fail to progress I don't think why a team from England should get it. Undeserved progression to the next stage.

If 5th team from England doesn't deserve it normally, why should it get now?

A draw would be fair.

Etihad should be banned from European football. That would be fun anyway.

Thats not how it works the league gets 4 spots in theory they could allocate a spot to the FA cup winner but the normal rules are the top 4 eligible teams in the league.

Thats not how it works the league gets 4 spots in theory they could allocate a spot to the FA cup winner but the normal rules are the top 4 eligible teams in the league.

I know.

Just my view on this. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

That’s city done. Pep will leave. They will be dragged through the courts to get the case overturned and the amount of negative publicity will mean they will become a toxic brand. Sponsors won’t touch them. Opposition fans will lampoon them mercilessly. No stars will go there without European football. Their present stars will want away. If KDB leaves you can sign their obituary as a force. If he stays maybe they could rebuild to being a top 4 side. The Mansours are in it for the positive publicity. Without it, it ceases to be a valuable investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dots1982 wrote: »
    That’s city done. Pep will leave. They will be dragged through the courts to get the case overturned and the amount of negative publicity will mean they will become a toxic brand. Sponsors won’t touch them. Opposition fans will lampoon them mercilessly. No stars will go there without European football. Their present stars will want away. If KDB leaves you can sign their obituary as a force. If he stays maybe they could rebuild to being a top 4 side. The Mansours are in it for the positive publicity. Without it, it ceases to be a valuable investment.

The reason they are in this position is they are sponsoring themselves.

Owned by the genocide committing UAE and China I don't thing they care what honest law abiding peoples of the world think.

The reason they are in this position is they are sponsoring themselves.

Owned by the genocide committing UAE and China I don't thing they care what people think.

They are sponsored by state owned businesses like Ethiad that won’t want to be associated with a toxic brand.

Dots1982 wrote: »

Dont be naive ;)

Not the first club, not the last one.

Some will get caught, some won't.

Big clubs won't be gone because of that.

It wasn't that big until the funds came in, but it is now in the same league as Barca, Real, Chelsea, United etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thank God Liverpool were really and truly battering the plastics before this.

Dont be naive ;)

Not the first club, not the last one.

Some will get caught, some won't.

Big clubs won't be gone because of that.

It wasn't that big until the funds came in, but it is now in the same league as Barca, Real, Chelsea, United etc.

Think about it a little more deeply. This will sink the club to being mid table if the ruling sticks.

City are a machine to bring positive attention to the Qatari regime. With that value gone and in fact counter productive the Mansours will move into formula 1 and sailing and sports that are most welcoming to the super rich.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement