Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man city (not) banned from Champions league for 2 years [Mod note see first post]

Comments

I have to say I enjoy LineOfBeauty and gstack throwing everything at this.

I think the whole "it's a Qatari plot" is my favourite. I mean, it could be, but every day there's some new development that makes you think...it's a pity the club didn't think of all of this before the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gstack166 wrote: »
    The said there’s no truth whatsoever in the allegations and that they promise the fans they’ll do everything to prove it

Why did they roll over so easily the first time they were fined under FFP then?

"In normal circumstances the club would wish to pursue its case and present its position through every avenue of recourse," City said, explaining the decision to settle with Uefa's club financial control body. "However, our decision to do so must be balanced against the practical realities for our fans, for our partners and in the interests of the commercial operations of the club."

They basically said they don't want to drag everybody through a court case and just sucked it up and accepted the fine and transfer cap

I have to say I enjoy LineOfBeauty and gstack throwing everything at this.

I think the whole "it's a Qatari plot" is my favourite. I mean, it could be, but every day there's some new development that makes you think...it's a pity the club didn't think of all of this before the decision.

Gstack has been wrong in the past.

Once you’ve convinced yourself of something you can defend it to the bitter end.

It’s pretty appalling what some people will turn a blind eye to and in fairness it’s horrible that Man City fans have been put in this position.

We all just want to support our clubs and live our lives but the City owners have tainted that club and I know several life long season ticket holders that haven’t renewed or been to the stadium in years. Moral and intelligent people have had to walk away from something that was a huge part of their lives.

It’s a ****ing crime that those murderous owners have been allowed to destroy that club in an attempt to ‘sportswash’ (horrible term) who they really are. If not a crime then an absolute shame for all the City fans that rightfully walked away.

Guardialo is some hypocrite with his ribbon. Tainted for the rest of his life. I can’t imagine all that money can really fill that moral hole and he can NEVER claim ignorance.

I genuinely feel nothing but sympathy for City fans and what they once had. I’d take division 2 every day over this pitiful charade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

This thread will hit the 10k before the main city thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

this thread is made for the Hitler Downfall rant meme

• gimli2112 wrote: »
    this thread is made for the Hitler Downfall rant meme

https://www.captiongenerator.com/1673962/Man-City-banned-owner-flips

Boom

I thanked it before I watched it as I knew it wouldn't disappoint

• gimli2112 wrote: »
    I thanked it before I watched it as I knew it wouldn't disappoint

Updated :)

Updated :)

I'll watch it later, gstack being a Nazi general and a forlorn maiden was a jarring continuity error to overcome. You have to give up and coming directors some leeway, Spielberg had awful trouble with the mechanical shark in Jaws

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

It could be similar to Downfall, but with Uefa in the role of a crestfallen and defeated Hitler.

Guardiola coming out strong and some key players too, maybe City aren't finished quite yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Brilliant. Is there an Oscar award for boards :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It could be similar to Downfall, but with Uefa in the role of a crestfallen and defeated Hitler.

Guardiola coming out strong and some key players too, maybe City aren't finished quite yet.

Yup...

503434.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Who came out strong in Downfall?

8-10 wrote: »

The clue is in the title

I think, in fairness, given the whole genocide in Yemen thing, when people think of Hitler, UEFA and Man City owners, they won't make connections between the first two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They'll be in Europe next year unless the CAS thing is rushed but that will most likely drag out for a few months so the ban will be postponed until the following year.

This has been mentioned a few times but is incorrect. They have been found guilty by the AC and have been banned. The ban is currently in place and there's nothing City or CAS can do about it unless the hearing is held before the new season starts and overturns it. Similar to the Chelsea transfer ban from FIFA, was in place and appeal only heard after it came into affect and subsequently reduced in time for the January window. The only other way City are in Europe next season is if UEFA themselves suspend it pending the outcome of the CAS hearing.

All parties will want his resolved sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

8-10 wrote: »

Milton Bradley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Teams have been in European draws before and been removed when banned so it is nothing new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bit of football history here, in 1906 Man City had 17 players and four directors banned over running dodgy financial accounts and breaking the salary cap of £4 a week by paying all their players £6 a week using secret bank accounts run by the directors. One Man City player also got a lifetime ban from football for attempting to bribe an Aston Villa player £10 to lose a game in the title run in that year.
    A punch thrown in 1905 culminated in 17 City players and four directors being banned over the club’s illegal overspending. In August 1905, after City’s Billy Meredith had been found guilty of bribery following a Football Association investigation, the Guardian reported remarks made by the forward. “League officials, he asserts, are jealous of the [club’s] growing success,” we wrote, “but he thought the whole country would demand such an unjust decision being reversed by the whole question being reopened at once.”

The whole question was indeed reopened, at which point a range of misdemeanours spilled out of the club, offences that appear so eerily familiar to those following their latest scandal it is as if some ribbon of DNA runs through the club. In 1906 they were found, in essence, to be funnelling money through secret accounts to circumvent rules designed to stop wealthy individuals from pouring their money into clubs, skewing the market and gaining an unfair sporting advantage.

This time, Meredith was really annoyed. So he started to talk, and eventually all of City’s secrets came out. There was at the time a £4-a-week maximum wage for players, designed primarily to stop clubs assembling all-star squads (for context, the average wage in Great Britain was about £70 a year) but it transpired that City had been flouting it on an epic scale. The FA had suspected as much, parsing the books in 1904 after the club, bankrolled by the newspaper magnate Edward Hulton, assembled a suspiciously good team that came second in the league and won the FA Cup. On that occasion it found some minor problems – banning a few directors and imposing a £250 fine – but no evidence that anyone was being overpaid, and in 1906 they found out why.

Meredith had been on £6 for years and said that “I don’t believe that any member of our team was paid less than I was”. In 1903-04 the club also paid out bonuses totalling £681 12s 6d, in line with the seasons before and after, and every penny illegal. “The club literally bought the English Cup,” wrote Athletic News in a stinging editorial after the judgment (even more notable because Hulton, who had bankrolled City’s spending, owned Athletic News at the time). The FA’s report concluded that “it is now proved that the club had for years systematically broken the rules by very unscrupulous means”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/26/manchester-city-falling-foul-of-ffp-in-1906-forgotten-story

Its like history is now repeating itself 114 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Wrote this about the ban

https://veryintobloggingveryintonewmedia.wordpress.com/2020/02/24/uefa-ban-changes-everything-for-city/

Since the turn of the century, there have only been a handful of events in the Premier League that have had a huge lasting impact. The most important of these was Cristiano Ronaldo’s move to Real Madrid which shifted the balance of power that had been with England back to Spain. United have been throwing good money after bad ever since. That hasn’t got them back to where they were when they had Ronaldo, it hasn’t even kept them up with their rivals. The other moments that have shaped English football involve owners and managers. Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour buying Chelsea and Manchester City. Mourinho coming in at Chelsea and Ferguson retiring from Manchester United. Pep and Klopp’s eras are close to being on the list as well.

But right now I think UEFA’s verdict that Manchester City will not be allowed to compete in the next two Champions League has the potential to be if not bigger than Ronaldo’s move to Madrid than at least bigger than everything else. There are obvious reasons for this and then there deeper reasons.

The money that the verdict will cost City over the next two season is estimated to stand at higher than $300 million. This is around 25% of their estimated revenue over the two seasons. Simply put; what distinguished City is their limitless financial resources. Without those resources, City are not near a par with the big 4 in terms of support base (the amount of empty seats recently in the game vs West Ham attests to this) or appeal to players. If they are waving goodbye to that much revenue then the club that is left is going to be a completely different one to the one that has spent its way to glory and dominance.

City are of course going to appeal the verdict to the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) in Lausanne. It is impossible to predict how this will go for City but a super rich football club being represented by a team of super lawyers in a Switzerland court is not the most appealing look for a football club. Throw in the level of media attention this appeal is going to attract across the world’s news cycles and you have a cocktail that is likely to be extremely damaging to the club’s reputation and appeal to fans over at least the next couple of months and possibly longer.

Opposition fans and media are not going to allow City forget that UEFA have effectively characterized their behavior as that of lying cheats. The headlines are already taking a dig; “Kevin De Bruyne calls tune as the banned play on” said the Times of their win over West Ham. The intention of the Manchester City project is speculated to be one of “Sportswashing”. Effectively this means injecting state money into sport franchises to deflect from a state’s less altruistic pursuits such as anything from human rights abuses to funding of terrorism. However any self-respecting Sheikh is not going to be impressed if his sportwashing project attracts attention for being a massive enterprise of financial misconduct that is banned from entering Europe’s most prestigious tournament. Sheikh Mansour may be thinking to himself this wouldn’t be happening if he went with a yacht racing team instead.

With the loss of funds and reputation, the piece of the enterprise that they can’t afford to lose is their squad. If City are to keep in the picture for future title races then the likes of Kevin De Bruyne have to remain at the club. Stories have come out that Pep Guardiola, Raheem Sterling and Kevin de Bruyne all are happy to stay at the club come what may. What else could they say? We’ll see if they sign contracts over the coming months that tie them to the clubs even if the ban’s appeal fails. If those players leave, it’s very doubtful if City will have the revenue streams to rebuild.

If the appeals fail I think City’s wings will be clipped for the foreseeable future. They will stay around the top four but ambitions beyond that will be very hard to realize. They will be go from a strategy of hyper expansion to one of attempted stabilization with their expenditure being cut back and trying to manage player exits. Even if their appeals are successful it remains to be seen how much of a toxic brand they have become. They won’t be easily let forget that; not by opposition fans nor the media. Mud sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

According to the guardian if CAS don't make a decision by the end of June city will play in next year's champs league.

de Bruyne has come out and said that if Man City lose their case at the Court of Arbritration of Sport and the 2 year CL ban sticks then he is going to consider his future at the club.
    Midfielder Kevin de Bruyne has reportedly said he would have to consider his Manchester City future if their two-year European ban is upheld.

In February, City were found to have committed "serious breaches" of Uefa's club licensing and financial fair play regulations. City have taken their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"Once the decision is made, I will review everything," De Bruyne, 28, told Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws. “Two years would be long - but in the case of one year I might see. I'm just waiting. The club told us they're going to appeal and they're almost 100% sure they're right.

“That's why I'm waiting to see what will happen. I trust my team."
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52521123

He's 28 and in his prime, if the 2 year ban sticks then its understandable he would want a transfer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    de Bruyne has come out and said that if Man City lose their case at the Court of Arbritration of Sport and the 2 year CL ban sticks then he is going to consider his future at the club.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52521123

He's 28 and in his prime, if the 2 year ban sticks then its understandable he would want a transfer

He's right tbf. He needs to add the biggest trophy to his collection. He owes city nothing at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Who would want him, he's under contract with a 225m release clause. Typical City player, nag nag nag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who would want him, he's under contract with a 225m release clause. Typical City player, nag nag nag

Newly minted Newcastle with new blood money.

What bigger FU to the Qatar's would it be if the Saudi's bought the star player from the blood money oil rivials.

Man City vs Newcaslte the blood money derby.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Newly minted Newcastle with new blood money.

What bigger FU to the Qatar's would it be if the Saudi's bought the star player from the blood money oil rivials.

Man City vs Newcaslte the blood money derby.

Fcuk me I always thought KDB played for Manchester City, not PSG.

Another new piece of information I’ve learned from the fountains of knowledge on this wonderful site.

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Ye there is going to be some pissing match in the transfer market between the murdering genocidal owners of City and Newcastle over the next few years for sure. Qatar, Saudi and China what a fu(king evil ownerships now in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ye there is going to be some pissing match in the transfer market between the murdering genocidal owners of City and Newcastle over the next few years for sure. Qatar, Saudi and China what a fu(king evil ownerships now in the premier league.

Not forgetting the owners of clubs taking sponsorship from scumbags moving money for those disgusting murdering cocaine cartels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Saudi's will turn the managers office in St James Park into a pirate stream hub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Dream on, city will not be banned , as for that essay a few posts up. What a load of ****. Attendance against West ham, a rearranged game played on a wedensday night City won't be banned so suck it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sure asking the government for a bailout to pay your staff wages is fine, should be applauded really

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Dream on, city will not be banned , as for that essay a few posts up. What a load of ****. Attendance against West ham, a rearranged game played on a wedensday night City won't be banned so suck it up.

City have been banned already, otherwise they wouldn't be going to the COA.

City have been banned already, otherwise they wouldn't be going to the COA.
    Provisionally. It's under appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Does the covid19 crisis mean that at least one of those years could be wiped out. Or is the wording of the actual ban based on CL competitions and not calendar years?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Provisionally. It's under appeal.

No it's not a provisional ban. If City didn't appeal they would be out of European Competition for two years. The ban is postponed until the appeal is heard.

Does the covid19 crisis mean that at least one of those years could be wiped out. Or is the wording of the actual ban based on CL competitions and not calendar years?

It doesn’t even account for them no qualifying for the Champions League, if City were to finish 5th this season then the ban is withheld until they qualify for it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

gstack166 wrote: »
    It doesn’t even account for them no qualifying for the Champions League, if City were to finish 5th this season then the ban is withheld until they qualify for it again.

I thought it was for UEFA competitions, so if the finished 5th they would serve the ban on the Europa League..

Trigger wrote: »
    I thought it was for UEFA competitions, so if the finished 5th they would serve the ban on the Europa League..

Yeah correct. They would have to finish outside of the European places.

No it's not a provisional ban. If City didn't appeal they would be out of European Competition for two years. The ban is postponed until the appeal is heard.

well its subject to afknppeal then. Or If you'd rather until Cas makes a decision it's deferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

well its subject to afknppeal then. Or If you'd rather until Cas makes a decision it's deferred.

Subject to appeal means it exists.

CAS have to find something UEFA missed or overestimated. They find nothing, nothing changes. Ban stands,

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ban from European football that may not take place for a few years if international travel is not allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

IF champions league football is back in December or whenever, is it more likely City will be in it or it will be given on coefficient to 5th place etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ban from European football that may not take place for a few years if international travel is not allowed

International travel will be back a lot sooner that that. Flying might take a bit of time which would **** up British teams a bit, but in extreme cases they might have to have regional draws to stop roadtrips like Liverpool to Astrana. Stopping fans travelling would also be a possibility.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will a result of this be determined today, or is this part just both sides giving their story and a result will come at a later stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Mushy wrote: »
    Will a result of this be determined today, or is this part just both sides giving their story and a result will come at a later stage?

No, not expected until later this summer at least according to the BBC

I’m guessing the hearing finished last week and am a bit surprised there hasn’t been any leaks from either side.

I’m guessing the hearing finished last week and am a bit surprised there hasn’t been any leaks from either side.

Judgement can take weeks.

Would guess its because theres nothing really to leak as yet, the judges heard the case and are spending the next few weeks writing up their decision due in July.

Judgement can take weeks.

Judgements can take weeks however propaganda can start now from either side.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Judgements can take weeks however propaganda can start now from either side.

Considering City already went to CAS before the initial ban was cast on them about the punishment being leaked to the press before the verdict was given and CAS agreed is was worrying that it happened I imagine UEFA won’t do it again.

On the flip side they normally can’t keep their mouths closed either so I expect if they think they’ve got their ban they issued upheld then we’ll start to hear about it.

The longer there is silence, the more I would be thinking it’ll be overturned.

Personal opinion, haven’t read anything on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement