Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man city allowed to compete in Premier league

• 14-02-2020 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I haven’t seen anyone ask why Man city can compete completely unhindered in the PL?

Uefa consider their conduct so bad that they won’t allow them to compete for 2 years.

Yet they go about their business in the PL without even a points deduction.

What’s going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Different rules under UEFA and fa I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Different rules under UEFA and fa I presume?

And therefore should we not be asking the question why the rules aren’t stricter in the PL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

different financial rules in the two competitions. the PL/Fa would need to run their own investigation - and sanction them themselves. Which they might do.

I could see them waiting until after the Uefa one has played out, through appeals and CAS - and then decide what to do based on the outcome and final legal findings. If City fail in their appeal, I reckon the PL would move then.

I believe both the PL and Uefa conducted intial investigations which found City innocent, and this is a new investigation from Uefa - after football leaks pointed to lies from City during initial investigation.

So i think it is more so the PL just havent acted YET and have been waiting on Uefa and their findings (which are as much about whether City lied in the accounts and evidence they originaly gave.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

different financial rules in the two competitions. the PL/Fa would need to run their own investigation - and sanction them themselves. Which they might do.

I could see them waiting until after the Uefa one has played out, through appeals and CAS - and then decide what to do based on the outcome and final legal findings. If City fail in their appeal, I reckon the PL would move then.

It would be a ballsy move for the PL to do this but I very much doubt they have the balls to do something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Dots1982 wrote: »
    And therefore should we not be asking the question why the rules aren’t stricter in the PL?

I agree. There should be provision for this already.

I wonder is it possible? You're essentially talking about 2 punishments for the same crime. Any legal experts here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I agree. There should be provision for this already.

I wonder is it possible? You're essentially talking about 2 punishments for the same crime. Any legal experts here?

its not though.

It would be 1 punishment for breaching Uefa rules.
    And a different punishment for breaching PL rules.

Different competitions, different rule sets, different punishments.

As for it being a ballsy move... that is why I think (and I think i read) the PL are waiting for this all to play out, and then move if the Uefa punishment (and findings) are ratified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

I haven’t seen anyone ask why Man city can compete completely unhindered in the PL?

Uefa consider their conduct so bad that they won’t allow them to compete for 2 years.

What’s going on?
    They haven't broken any rules. FFP in the Premier League effectively amounts to a club not being able to make a loss of over £105M without it being financially guaranteed by the club's owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Talisman wrote: »
    They haven't broken any rules. FFP in the Premier League effectively amounts to a club not being able to make a loss of over £105M without it being financially guaranteed by the club's owners.

Which leaves us with a situation where their conduct is so repellant to the rules that they are suspended from competition for two years and another where their conduct is within the rules.

In that case you have got to look at the rules and wonder about them.

Talisman wrote: »

Not quite the argument that the indo is making they are claiming that in order to receive a premier league license they have to have supplied true information "High-level sources say that will force the Premier League to act due to their own licensing, which pertains to Uefa’s Financial Fair Play regulations.

The issue comes because any club has to supply true information to get a Premier League licence, and that information will have had to have matched that supplied to Uefa."

This could have legs

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-banned-champions-league-premier-points-uefa-fair-play-a9336946.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

They won't ban them from the PL, the PL don't have the balls to do that, to do that would damage the brand, best league in the world and all that stuff.

• Advertisement

They won't ban them from the PL, the PL don't have the balls to do that, to do that would damage the brand, best league in the world and all that stuff.

I agreee but they could certainly give them a massive points deduction which would effectively relegate them (Highly unlikely to happen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The worst they'll get might be a 20 points deduction so they finish mid-table, and a fine, none of which matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Tippex wrote: »
    I agreee but they could certainly give them a massive points deduction which would effectively relegate them (Highly unlikely to happen)

A points deduction that will see them not qualify for a competition they are already banned from?

(Assuming the UEFA punishment is upheld before the PL instigate their own punishment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

What’s going on?

It's because they're not Leeds. Thought it was obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I believe both the PL and Uefa conducted intial investigations which found City innocent, and this is a new investigation from Uefa - after football leaks pointed to lies from City during initial investigation.

So i think it is more so the PL just havent acted YET and have been waiting on Uefa and their findings (which are as much about whether City lied in the accounts and evidence they originaly gave.)

They've been under investigation domestically by the Premier League already since last March, on 3 counts; "over their financial regulations, academy player recruitment and third-party ownership."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-investigation-premier-league-15945930
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-investigation-intensifies-after-21500681

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

10 points deduction for this season and last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

niallo27 wrote: »
    10 points deduction for this season and last.

2 points deduction for last season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

From what I read (could be completely off base) one of the main issues leading to the ban and perhaps the severity of the ban (although after appeal that may come down) is that they are being accused of essentially falsifying their accounts ... Googles...
    The independent Adjudicatory Chamber of the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) said City had broken the rules by "overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to Uefa between 2012 and 2016"

So it isn't so much that they broke the rules it's that they did that then submitted false documentation to cover up their rule breaks. Therefore it is right to wonder about them and the Premier league because one would think they submitted the same financial data to both organizations and if so assuming CAS don't overturn the ruling you would expect the premier league to have to take action against them also.

I would not be expecting banning them from the competition especially seeing as they might not actually fail the leagues FFA despite being potentially punished for submitting supposedly fraudulent financials but a points deduction would be a real possibility and then they would really be screwed as not only would they be out of the CL but maybe not able to compete for the league also.

• Oh btw lol in general

Hope they change aguerooooooooo to uefaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Advertisement
Advertisement