Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning emigrant car insurance

Options
  • 14-02-2020 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, whats the best and cheapest way to get car insurance as a returning emigrant to Ireland? Im 25 held full drivers licence since i was 20, was driving since i was 17 absolutely 0 no claims bonus looking at a diesel car with an engine size of around 1.3L.
    As price is affected by youre occupation when i land back i will technically be unemployed but not in reciept of any benefits would that bring down the policy cost?

Better living everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi guys, whats the best and cheapest way to get car insurance as a returning emigrant to Ireland? Im 25 held full drivers licence since i was 20, was driving since i was 17 absolutely 0 no claims bonus looking at a diesel car with an engine size of around 1.3L.
    As price is affected by youre occupation when i land back i will technically be unemployed but not in reciept of any benefits would that bring down the policy cost?

The only way to try all the insurance companies and brokers, there is no cheap insurance in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Del2005 wrote: »
    The only way to try all the insurance companies and brokers, there is no cheap insurance in Ireland.

I know theres no cheap insurance but €3000 for imsurance is a piss take

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

What country were you last insured in and which insurance company did you use?
    How long is it since you were last insured in Ireland?

KevRossi wrote: »
    What country were you last insured in and which insurance company did you use?
    How long is it since you were last insured in Ireland?

Nearly 3 years since i was insured in Ireland and ive been insured in New Zealand and Australia here and there nothing consistent.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Vittu

I drive a company car the last 6 years and so I dropped my own insurance 6 yeard ago. I am 39 and driving all my life. They quoted me 3.3k to get back in the game. Get a 06 car or upwards, small engine but it's a computer making the decision and unfortunately your details means you are a risk. Sorry

• Advertisement

Vittu wrote: »
    I drive a company car the last 6 years and so I dropped my own insurance 6 yeard ago. I am 39 and driving all my life. They quoted me 3.3k to get back in the game. Get a 06 car or upwards, small engine but it's a computer making the decision and unfortunately your details means you are a risk. Sorry

Honestly looking at tbe overstayers out here id probavly be better off staying here illegally (not going too) where youve absolutely no rights at all but youd still have a better way of life by the looks of things between insurance and the like. Between a car and insurance my savings will nearly be gone altogether when i get home now.

Better living everyone

Think of all the great weather you would be missing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Nearly 3 years since i was insured in Ireland and ive been insured in New Zealand and Australia here and there nothing consistent.

Go to a broker directly, go into their office and have a chat with them, you'll probably get a better price. Even better if you know a client of theirs who will recommend you.

Broker can also recommend what kind of car you should buy for the first year to make things a bit easier.
    Vittu wrote: »

Driving under a company policy would have given you some form of credit, usually treated as named driver status, sometimes as a full time driver.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Go to a broker directly, go into their office and have a chat with them, you'll probably get a better price. Even better if you know a client of theirs who will recommend you.

Broker can also recommend what kind of car you should buy for the first year to make things a bit easier.

Driving under a company policy would have given you some form of credit, usually treated as named driver status, sometimes as a full time driver.

I think 5 years equates to 2.5years no claims driving. I also think I should have said that anyone within the company can drive my company car as this can effect the premium they quote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement