Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Bootable Devices Found unless shutdown

Options
  • 15-02-2020 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Short version: My laptop cannot restart, it needs to be shutdown and rebooted, if I try restart it gets stuck with a "No bootable devices found" error. The only way to proceed is to press F2 for setup which I can immediately exit and the machine will boot.

Long version with background: I had a Dell Precision 7510 work laptop which was just over 3 years old. I had some previous issues with it that resulted in the motherboard being replaced twice. On the last occasion the tech bent a heat shield or something which left the fan making noise if you moved the laptop around when turned. Not a bit issue and I ignored it. Fast forward 12 months and a slightly better specced 7520 was coming up for grabs. I figured I'd go for a quick win and swap out the two drives (m.2 256gb os drive and 1tb data drive) rather than start from a fresh install. After some issues with Windows activation the machine is running fine apart from the problem above that I just don't get. Without fail it refuses to boot if restarted but is fine when shutdown and turned back on.

Anyone any ideas on this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Check the boot options in BIOS/EFI firmware.
    Maybe it tries to boot a non-bootable device unless restarted?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Could it be something to do with too many ongoing tasks for comfort accumulating in the background during sessions (maybe some dawning on Windows following the recent changes)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

You said you simply swapped out the drives from the old system, popped them into the new system and sorted out the (expected) Windows Activation issues in order to avoid the hassle of a fresh install, I suspect this is the source of your problem.

When you fresh install Windows in EFI mode, it will create an EFI Boot Entry labelled "Windows Boot Manager" that might be missing on your system. On a cold boot, the firmware would look for /EFI/Boot/Bootx64.efi in the absence of a specific boot entry and perhaps on reboot Windows is telling the firmware to boot a particular (non existent) entry and that error is the result but it is just an educated guess on my part.

Turn off secure boot and enable legacy bios mode

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its most probably windows "Fast Start" disable that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

I had that issue and it turned out to be a flat cmos battery causing the time / date to reset to Bios manufacture date. Easy to check time / date setting in bios so as to eliminate potential cause.

Advertisement