Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find a part time job.

• 15-02-2020 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

I am an international student currently studying in Limerick. I've applied for jobs on indeed and jobs.ie, but no luck so far. I don't have prior work experience. Maybe that's the case? Many suggested to fake experience, but I don't feel like doing that.

Did anyone have a similar experience? Should I just keep looking? Other than education, some study related certifications, I don't have anything unique on my CV.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Maybe try lidl or aldi. Just make sure you CV is in good order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Are you going old school and walking into places and asking? Tip, if you want the bosses name it's often written on the wall with the sign telling you smoking is illegal. Sometimes it just says Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 9 soos

Maybe try lidl or aldi. Just make sure you CV is in good order.

Do they accept CVs offline or should I apply on their careers website? Thank you mate.

Berty wrote: »
    Are you going old school and walking into places and asking? Tip, if you want the bosses name it's often written on the wall with the sign telling you smoking is illegal. Sometimes it just says Manager

Yes, I did that too. I went to multiple restaurants in the city center and handed my CVs. This is about a month ago. Should I talk to managers?

I don't have any achievements or work experience other than education and some free certifications. Do you know any places that don't care about the CV?

Thank you for your time mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Try the sticky at the top of the page for links to job postings.

The Paul Partnership list all jobs from the local papers each week i used to post it religiously during the recession.

Do Solas.ie formerly FAS.ie list job openings now?

Take a walk up and down each mall in the Crescent you will find at 5 or 6 shops with signs up looking for staff beside the opening hours signs

Call into McDonalds and Supermacs they are always happy to take on part time college students

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If you are ok, I can take a look through your CV as someone who has hired plenty of people over the years. If anything sticks out that needs changing, I'll let you know. PM me if interested.

• Advertisement

I've applied to Mc Donalds. Got the interview, but wasn't selected. I got anxious and stuttered.

soos wrote:
    I've applied to Mc Donalds. Got the interview, but wasn't selected. I got anxious and stuttered.

Don't worry about that every time you do an interview you will get more confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

A while ago I created a profile on extras.ie, Troy studios in Castletroy went through about a month of messaging me every day to see if I was available for extras work on that new Sci fi series, Foundation. Could be worth a shot

Hi everyone. Was wondering if this is the right time to apply for jobs. Any input will be appreciated.

What is your situation now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this for real?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is this for real?
    My situation is worse. I will run out of money. Cannot think straight right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Best of luck to you. Just apply and talk ****e. There's no btmrain surgery involved Be nice and give them the impression you are Superman. All you want is a moderate income so give them the impression you are world class Thats how I always approached things and it worked r me
    We are all only passing through. v

Since university is closed and offering classes online, all my roommates are planning to leave. I will have search for room and things to buy. Plus I don't have enough money. I don't think this is the right time, but I don't feel like I have a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

Try indeed.com.

Are you on Linkedin? I've seen Recruiters (although in Dublin) looking for people ASAP for warehouse type roles - jobs like these could keep you going.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

Lidl are looking for temporary staff with an immediate start.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Try looking for warehouse jobs with Tesco, Aldi, lidl, anything like that. Contact the unemployment office about job seekers allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭claregal1

Register with hse on call ..they are looking for admin , catering, cleaning staff etc

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

https://www.newstalk.com/news/amazon-looks-hire-irish-workers-home-based-roles-985018?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&#Echobox=1584558421

Amazon are looking to hire people. While people are in lockdown, they still need services. Focus on what people are doing now, and get in contact with those providing those services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, supermarkets are hiring to meet the extra demand:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0321/1124570-tesco-coronavirus-staff-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but working in a supermarket aren't you more susceptible of catching this damn virus??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

fryup wrote: »
    but working in a supermarket aren't you more susceptible of catching this damn virus??

Not unless you spend 15 minutes within 2m of an infected person. So, probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

15 mins?? is that official?

....what if your work mate has it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

How is that different to any other workplace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It is.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms-causes-treatment.html

This is only a guide but close contact can mean:
    • spending more than 15 minutes face-to-face contact within 2 metres of an infected person
    • living in the same house or shared accommodation as an infected person

OP is stressed and looking for a job plenty of other threads to discuss the 15min infection issue.

OP did you try your local Dunnes, Tesco etc?

Hi everyone, I owe you all an update. I found a job in October as a deli assistant. Now I will be focusing on full time opportunities. I just want to say thank you for helping me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

soos wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I owe you all an update. I found a job in October as a deli assistant. Now I will be focusing on full time opportunities. I just want to say thank you for helping me:)

Well done on finding work particularly in the current climate!
    Best of luck in finding more full time opportunities.

banie01 wrote: »
    Well done on finding work particularly in the current climate!
    Best of luck in finding more full time opportunities.

Yeah it's been exactly a month now. I just got lucky. Thank you:D

Advertisement