Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivan Yates to retire in August

Options
  • 15-02-2020 12:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ivan-yates-i-was-a-poster-boy-for-bankruptcy-tourism-1.4174180
    Broadcaster and former Fine Gael minister Ivan Yates is planning to retire this summer and live a quieter life on the family farm following the settlement of a legal dispute with AIB over ownership of his Wexford property.

He says he is unable to put into words the intensity of the battle he has had to wage over the past decade to prevent the loss of the property to the bank, and to do so while all the time being so in the public eye.

“I’ve turned 60 now and I’ve been in the public eye since I was elected to the Dáil in ’81,” he says.

That's a pity. I have always enjoyed his banter. He has give some great insights in our political system down the years too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ivan-yates-i-was-a-poster-boy-for-bankruptcy-tourism-1.4174180

That's a pity. I have always enjoyed his banter. He has give some great insights in our political system down the years too.

That's a shame Ivan is brilliant I love listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Allinall

Never known anyone to work as hard as Ivan.

Fair play to him for coming back from the brink and getting his sh1t back together.

Hope he enjoys his retirement.

Possible presidential material in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

Fcuk the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

Allinall wrote: »
    Never known anyone to work as hard as Ivan.

Fair play to him for coming back from the brink and getting his sh1t back together.

Hope he enjoys his retirement.

I presume you're taking the piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

He does this every couple of years but always comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll miss him on the radio but funnily think he's poor on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Retiring at 60? That must be nice.

Meanwhile the rest of us will be made work until we're 68+

He's self employed. You can do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'll miss him on the radio but funnily think he's poor on the TV.

He'll be back, remember his 1 year trip around the world? He was back on air within 6 months! https://m.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/news/ivan-yates-stepping-back-from-public-life-to-travel-34618040.html

• Advertisement

Peatys wrote: »
    He's self employed. You can do the same.

https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1009928687016398848?lang=en

You were taking about retiring from radio?

He can well afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Helped enormously by being able to declare bankruptcy, write off debts and having a very well paid job to walk back in to and large pension .......

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

who's making us? more like we're lying down and just taking it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

What a cretin. The Peter Casey of broadcasting. Rude for the sake of it, 'holier-than-thou' attitude with all guests unless they're similarly amoral, dismissing experts because his (very limited) experiences preclude him from understanding them. He's a self-confessed alcoholic but instead of doing anything about it, he touts it as normal and laughs at anyone who doesn't ply themselves with drink nightly to numb the pain of all the disappointment and loss he's obviously had to endure because of the crap attitude he has. I'd feel sorry for him because he's such a pity, but he's so hateful in the way he bullies and cajoles people that I can't drum up an iota of sympathy.

He can well afford to.

Why are you nitpicking? You can retire at 60 if you're self employed is all I'm saying.. and you're free to do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

While I like the guy, I'm not sure I agree with him getting a good deal cut with AIB given he can afford to retire at 60.

The paper quotes him as saying they are "absolutely delighted" with the result.

Let's be honest, we'd all like to cut a deal on our debt, especially one that means you can retire at 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Why are you nitpicking? You can retire at 60 if you're self employed is all I'm saying.. and you're free to do the same?

Most people still have debt at that age and can't afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What a cretin. The Peter Casey of broadcasting. Rude for the sake of it, 'holier-than-thou' attitude with all guests unless they're similarly amoral, dismissing experts because his (very limited) experiences preclude him from understanding them. He's a self-confessed alcoholic but instead of doing anything about it, he touts it as normal and laughs at anyone who doesn't ply themselves with drink nightly to numb the pain of all the disappointment and loss he's obviously had to ensure because of the crap attitude he has. I'd feel sorry for him because he's such a pity, but he's so hateful in the way he bullies and cajoles people that I can't drum up an iota of sympathy.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way about him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

And he has the neck to preach down to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

he's only 60!??

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Let's be honest, we'd all like to cut a deal on our debt, especially one that means you can retire at 60.

would we? all I've seen is mostly a "sure what can we do about it" kinda attitude, the banks just love that ;)

I don't have a guaranteed income of almost €80,000 as a back-up plan should my self-employment go belly up though.

Not nitpicking at all - my job involves dealing with self-employed people and I can assure you, very few of them will be able to retire at 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

HE saw Donald Trump's America coming before anyone else in the media here was willing to give the notion the time of day. Pity that he was so right. His inside track on politics was his strong suit for sure. Some of his social views are probably what you'd expect of a middle aged Gorey man (and some of it was a put on to get reactions).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

With a very nice €78K pension, funded by tax payers, and still only 60, while his old Party FG want people to sign on for JSA for 3 years from the ages 65 to 68.

What a scam..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't see how you can get debts written down/off when you are guaranteed an income of €78,000 per year?

Another strategic "retirement" then, followed by a triumphant comeback in some dubious enterprise. A blueshirt until you drop Ivan, when you head for the hills stay there. Thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

SF are here now to make sure you’re retiring at 65.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    SF are here now to make sure you’re retiring at 65.

The cosy FFG cartel will make sure that'll never happen ;)

Advertisement