Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivan Yates to retire in August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't see how you can get debts written down/off when you are guaranteed an income of €78,000 per year?
    dont understand that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dont understand that

My question?

Or are you agreeing with me?
    Normally people who get debts written off have no means to ever pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

What a cretin. The Peter Casey of broadcasting. Rude for the sake of it, 'holier-than-thou' attitude with all guests unless they're similarly amoral, dismissing experts because his (very limited) experiences preclude him from understanding them. He's a self-confessed alcoholic but instead of doing anything about it, he touts it as normal and laughs at anyone who doesn't ply themselves with drink nightly to numb the pain of all the disappointment and loss he's obviously had to endure because of the crap attitude he has. I'd feel sorry for him because he's such a pity, but he's so hateful in the way he bullies and cajoles people that I can't drum up an iota of sympathy.

^this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

HE saw Donald Trump's America coming before anyone else in the media here was willing to give the notion the time of day. Pity that he was so right. His inside track on politics was his strong suit for sure. Some of his social views are probably what you'd expect of a middle aged Gorey man (and some of it was a put on to get reactions).
    Are you kidding me, he wasn't fit to be in public. The televised debate was about 60% Ivan insulting people. It was somewhat put on, in a patronising "devil's advocate" way, and it's getting tamer as he knows he's not going to be in the public eye as much anymore so he doesn't need to lay it on, but anyone who makes a living off of gambling and then sh!t-stirring using people's most wrongfully-held prejudiced sentiments deserves no accolades.
    BanditLuke wrote: »
    And he has the neck to preach down to others.
    502951.png
    Rikand wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one who felt this way about him
    I thought everyone felt this way about him until I saw the gurriers in this thread. It still doesn't mean that prevailing opinion isn't absolutely shocking. It's kind of incredible that some people actually must have sensationalist tabloid-style banners as their internal monologue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

NIMAN wrote: »
    My question?

Or are you agreeing with me?
    Normally people who get debts written off have no means to ever pay.
    i'm agreeing with you. how does someone with a pension income of nearly double the average industrial wage (on top of other incomes) get debts written off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,336 ✭✭✭✭Esel

George gone, Ivan going. Hopefully Ciara will be next.

Not your ornery onager

Allinall wrote: »
    Never known anyone to work as hard as Ivan.

Fair play to him for coming back from the brink and getting his sh1t back together.

Hope he enjoys his retirement.

Possible presidential material in a few years time.

He deserves the freedom of Enniscorthy for facilitating gambling addictions.

Not quite "presidential material", scrubbing public toilets is more his level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Esel wrote: »
    George gone, Ivan going. Hopefully Ciara will be next.

She has the advantage of being a woman, she'll be spouting guff for as long as likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

She has the advantage of being a woman, she'll be spouting guff for as long as likes.

What? Female presenters have a monopoly on spouting guff on Newstalk?

Sarah McInerney and the woman with the unpronouncable name were hardly given the luxury of spouting their 'guff' on the station for very long were they?

Give over with that sexist ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

What? Female presenters have a monopoly on spouting guff on Newstalk?

Sarah McInerney and the woman with the unpronouncable name were hardly given the luxury of spouting their 'guff' on the station for very long were they?

Give over with that sexist ****e.
    I wouldn't even bother engaging with that. You'll only be exciting them. In the thread about Ivan Yates it was only a matter of time before they started to crawl out of the woodwork and stoke something about how women are held to a lower standard because gender quotas or some rubbish.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even bother engaging with that. You'll only be exciting them. In the thread about Ivan Yates it was only a matter of time before they started to crawl out of the woodwork and stoke something about how women are held to a lower standard because gender quotas or some rubbish.

I certainly wouldn't be using Newstalk as a cornerstone for that argument!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Content and presenters all representative of the politics of the station's owner -an Irish version of W.R. Hearst.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think "Bertie" may be available just to keep it democratic...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

I won't miss him, one size fits all interview technique, not insightful, full of confidence that covers a multitude of sins whoever you are, he's at it long enough to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Retiring at 60? That must be nice.

Meanwhile the rest of us will be made work until we're 68+

Is someone forcing you to work until you are 68+ ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Is someone forcing you to work until you are 68+ ?

Eh, have you heard about the pension age rise at all, or are you just assuming I'm independently wealthy?

Eh, have you heard about the pension age rise at all, or are you just assuming I'm independently wealthy?

You said you are being forced to work until 68,that's simply not true .You ,me or anyone can pack in work anytime we want.
    You arent in some sort of forced labour camp.

How would I know what your financial circumstances are?

You said you are being forced to work until 68,that's simply not true .You ,me or anyone can pack in work anytime we want.
    You arent in some sort of forced labour camp.

How would I know what your financial circumstances are?

What's the alternative to working until 68, presuming I'm not independently wealthy and the bills/food/rent/mortgage/health insurance etc. still need to be paid? Go on the dole is it?

Is that what you're suggesting? I'm interested in hearing this.

What's the alternative to working until 68, presuming I'm not independently wealthy and the bills/food/rent/mortgage/health insurance etc. still need to be paid? Go on the dole is it?

Is that what you're suggesting? I'm interested in hearing this.

The state pension is €248.30 pw, the dole is €203 .
    So you are forcing yourself to work until 68 for an extra €45 euro.

With a proper pension plan there is absolutely no need to work till 68 or over and you certainly arent forced to do so.

Are you going to be paying your mortgage until the date you receive the pension or will it most likely be paid off a few years previously?

Will all your bills just disappear when you hit the magic retirement age of 68 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,178 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I hope he enjoys the retirement. Spending all day with Deirdre. :pac:

It always amuses me (in a bitter way) that he was a government minister. He wallows luxuriously in his ignorance.

Plus, he bankrupted a chain of Turf Accountants, which is, let's face it, a licence to print money.

• Advertisement

The state pension is €248.30 pw, the dole is €203 .
    So you are forcing yourself to work until 68 for an extra €45 euro.

Brilliant. I don't know why more people don't think of doing this. Think of all the tax money we could save paying the government by not working at all! They'd be paying for us instead! Might have a bit of a problem making up the contributions to qualify for the pension then, but...WTH!
    With a proper pension plan there is absolutely no need to work till 68 or over and you certainly arent forced to do so.

Yep, the proper pension plan. Not only are all employers on board with this, our highly excessive disposable incomes are being wasted on nonsense like childcare, mortgage, rent, insurances etc. We should be channeling all our extra income into a private pension instead, that may or may not be raided by successive governments because of all the people that have quit work (see above)
    Are you going to be paying your mortgage until the date you receive the pension or will it most likely be paid off a few years previously?

Will all your bills just disappear when you hit the magic retirement age of 68 ?

A high proportion of today's renters will never be able to afford their own home, so will be renting well into their pension age. Unfortunately, this means they will have to work well into their late sixites and beyond to keep a roof over their heads, or should they just expect everyone else to pick up the tab for that too?
    We'll still have the TV licence, health insurance, utility bills etc. to pay on top of that until we turn 70 as well of course.

Cunning plan, Baldrick. Should just about cover everyone I think. Except the likes of Ivan Yates, of course.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

Everyone on here begrudging his ministers pension, why not do the same?
    All u need is 10000 odd votes and away you go. Easy peasy!

Brilliant. I don't know why more people don't think of doing this. Think of all the tax money we could save paying the government by not working at all! They'd be paying for us instead! Might have a bit of a problem making up the contributions to qualify for the pension then, but...WTH!

Yep, the proper pension plan. Not only are all employers on board with this, our highly excessive disposable incomes are being wasted on nonsense like childcare, mortgage, rent, insurances etc. We should be channeling all our extra income into a private pension instead, that may or may not be raided by successive governments because of all the people that have quit work (see above)

A high proportion of today's renters will never be able to afford their own home, so will be renting well into their pension age. Unfortunately, this means they will have to work well into their late sixites and beyond to keep a roof over their heads, or should they just expect everyone else to pick up the tab for that too?
    We'll still have the TV licence, health insurance, utility bills etc. to pay on top of that until we turn 70 as well of course.

Cunning plan, Baldrick. Should just about cover everyone I think. Except the likes of Ivan Yates, of course.

:rolleyes:

Excuses ,excuses and more excuses.Its the governments fault,its the employers fault.

Simple fact is no one and I mean absolutely no one is forcing you to work until 68+.You may have to because of the choices you make but not everyone does and certainly no one is being forced to.

Excuses ,excuses and more excuses.Its the governments fault,its the employers fault.

Simple fact is no one and I mean absolutely no one is forcing you to work until 68+.You may have to because of the choices you make but not everyone does and certainly no one is being forced to.

Sure, Jan.

Or is it Ivan...??

Sure, Jan.

Or is it Ivan...??

:o

Neither thank **** .

You really do seem to have something against Yates.Cant say I'm a fan either(he was a poor minister for agri and a worse bookie by all accounts) but you do seem to begrudge him his retirement or is it a simple a case of jealousy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

He's a crap broadcaster - he's taken to being a full-time shít-stirrer, and is unlistenable to. A comedy contrarian - it's (borderline) funny occasionally, but full shows five days a week? No thanks.

Am I right in thinking that he used to do broadcasting before, but played a straight role and was quite good at it? I'm not sure if I'm imagining that!

His current schtick is chronic.

I'll be very glad to see that slot filled by someone else - an alternative to Mary Wilson when she gets too sanctimonious to bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Retiring at 60? That must be nice.

Meanwhile the rest of us will be made work until we're 68+

Easy retire at 60 if you get all your debts written off at 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Sono

He will not be missed, good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

My thoughts for poor Deirdre.

• Advertisement

I do like the entertainment factor with Ivan on Newstalk and I listen to his show when I can, but I laughed at this...
    He says he is unable to put into words the intensity of the battle he has had to wage over the past decade to prevent the loss of the property to the bank, and to do so while all the time being so in the public eye.

“I’ve turned 60 now and I’ve been in the public eye since I was elected to the Dáil in ’81,” he says.
    This is exactly the sort of thing Ivan would take the piss of on the radio and tell someone else to 'just grow up and get on with it', or ask them if they are a precious millennial.

Advertisement