Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivan Yates to retire in August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Whats the point in criticizing his ministerial pension? Hardly his fault he got it.
    Its a ridiculous amount of money, but has anyone actually handed it back?
    Would you? I know I wouldn't.

Lot of bitter office-jockey commuter drones on this thread.
    Go get elected and be appointed a minister if you want the same.

Calm down will you. I was just commenting I didn't know that they get it from when they stop working. Seems excessive.

bitter office-jockey commuter drones.. ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Calm down will you. I was just commenting I didn't know that they get it from when they stop working. Seems excessive.

Wasn't talking about you. And I agree, it is massively excessive, its winning the lottery, but its hardly his fault. I wouldn't be handing it back if I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Love Ivan. He provides a balance on Newstalk.

I like him , he comes in from a centre right angle with a humorous slant which is missing in a lot of PC presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Was discussing Ivan's retirement with some friends in an Enniscorthy pub last night and we think that a ticker tape parade should be organised to welcome the hero's return. Paid for by his grateful tenantry - of course. :D

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I honestly did not know they got it as soon as they left politics. That's insane.
    They don't now, but they did then. The rules changed around 2010 I think. The current crop of TDs won't get any pension until they reach pension age.
    Love Ivan. He provides a balance on Newstalk.

The balance between extreme right wing and just normal right wing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its almost, almost I say, like he is paid to entertain people!:eek:
    He calls himself a journalist.

When I pay to see a clown, I expect to laugh. When I pay to see a musician, I expect to hear music.

When I pay to see an entertainer, I expect to be entertained. When I pay to hear a journalist, I expect to hear facts.

At least people who call themselves "professional contrarians" are being upfront about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

With his love of having a bet and his ability to lose he will need all the funds he can get his hands on .
    A couple of bad years punting and Yates will be back on our airwaves .
    He is exactly like dunphy ... Opens his mouth before he engages his brain cell .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its almost, almost I say, like he is paid to entertain people!:eek:
    That depends on what you find entertaining.

After about 10mins I just find him tiresome, irritating, and repetitive. All he does is ensure that this listener will NEVER listen to Newstalk in that timeslot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

After about 10mins I just find him tiresome, irritating, and repetitive. All he does is ensure that this listener will NEVER listen to Newstalk in that timeslot.

if you dont find it entertaining dont listen. If enough people didn't he wouldn't be on the air. The fact that enough people do means he will be there as long as he wants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

if you dont find it entertaining dont listen. If enough people didn't he wouldn't be on the air. The fact that enough people do means he will be there as long as he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Amazed that he gets the ministerial pension now. In my innocence I thought you didn't get it until you were 65. Amazed.

I'm surprised you did not realise that it was not the same. This is probably one of the reasons why politicians and former office holders are slagged off and even attract a certain degree of resentment especially; if they have met the minimum terms and used to be able to qualify in some cases from age 50 years say in comparison to most professions but I understand this is no longer the case.

Our elected TDs in Dáil Éireann also enjoy long and frequent recess periods across the year.

I heard of one serving TD who headed off on holidays (while others went out canvassing) in the run up to the recent General Election and the same politician was re-elected. The politicians have even voted on their own pay increases - of course they will say it was based on a recommendation from a special independent body set-up to examine the matter but who appoints the body/committee in the first instance?

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/pensions/pension-pot-17-retiring-tds-to-share-22m-bonanza-38884687.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

godtabh wrote: »
    I don't listen.

But there's a serious dearth of quality current affairs radio on at that time of day - Mary Wilson is alright until she gets up on her sanctimonious high horse, and I have to switch to Lyric.

It would be nice to have a straight up quality presenter instead of Ivan's (not) comedy contrarian act.

I've not found Ivan great in the drivetime slot or as a co-presenter on "The Tonight Show" whenever I watched it occasionally since Vincent Browne departed TV3/Virgin Media Television.

I gather that Ivan suffers from chronic back pain which may have hindered him in terms of performance in recent years.

Meanwhile I wonder who station management at NewsTalk will replace Ivan with in the 4pm-7pm weekday slot after August?

Will the show just change presenter or will it also undergo yet another revamp of NewsTalk's drive-time slot?

Possible contenders may include someone from the following shortlist:

Paul Williams - ex-Newstalk breakfast co-presenter
    Chris Donoghue - special adviser to Foreign Affairs Minister, Simon Coveney
    Mark Cagney - relief presenter on NewsTalk and previously with "Ireland AM" on TV3/Virgin Media Television
    Shane Coleman - currently on NewsTalk Breakfast with Kieran Cuddihy
    Vincent Wall - current Business Editor
    Marc Coleman - formerly of Newstalk
    Ger Gilroy - original presenter "Off The Ball"
    Gavan Reilly - presenter of "On the Record" Sunday mornings @ 11am
    Jonathan Healy, relief presenter on NewsTalk
    Susan Keogh - presenter of NewsTalk Breakfast at weekends
    Sinéad Ryan - The Home Show on Newstalk at weekends
    Ciara Kelly - current Lunchtime Live presenter
    Matt Cooper - presenter of The Last Word on sister station, Today fm

Who will NewsTalk decide to install in the early evening news/current affairs 4-7pm weekday segment once Ivan retires in August?

The longest presenter in this slot was George Hook on "The Right Hook" before he moved to "High Noon" at lunchtime.

Anyone have suggestions as to who is best to anchor this slot and develop it further going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

Never, in the history of calm down, has anyone calmed down after bring told to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

Who will NewsTalk decide to install in the early evening news/current affairs 4-7pm weekday segment once Ivan retires in August?

The longest presenter in this slot was George Hook on "The Right Hook" before he moved to "High Noon" at lunchtime.

Anyone have suggestions as to who is best to anchor this slot and develop it further going forward?

Bring back George Hook I say

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks

anyone who wants a ministerial pension its there for you.

Go get elected to the dail and put yourself in a position to run a portion of the state

simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

People who do and try things can make mistakes. You can't lose your business and go bankrupt if you don't try run it first. You can't become politician and minister and be criticised for it if you don't run. You can't be a radio presenter who annoys whole pile of people if you don't try it. The easiest thing is criticize others and not try anything yourself.

Anyway I'll miss him, I think he has good political mind and is very shrewd operator. I suspect he'll still do an odd corporate gig and possibly some radio and tv work but not daily. Btw he has chronic back pain and a lot of people with that would be on some sort of disability allowance.

Cyrus wrote: »
    folks

anyone who wants a ministerial pension its there for you.

Go get elected to the dail and put yourself in a position to run a portion of the state

simple.

And wait till normal retirement age, as current TDs cannot avail of the early payment that was available to Ivan and his peers.
    Our elected TDs in Dáil Éireann also enjoy long and frequent recess periods across the year.
    I'm not so sure that they do. Many will spend the recess periods scurrying around the constituency, attending residents meetings about potholes and thefts of whistles, meeting their constituents who expect them to fix their own particular health/legal/passport/road issue, buying pints in pubs etc. Because if they don't do this kind of social work, they won't get reelected next time.
    I heard of one serving TD who headed off on holidays (while others went out canvassing) in the run up to the recent General Election and the same politician was re-elected.

If you're referring to this lady, she was not a serving TD. She was elected, not re-elected.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/02/11/news/sinn-fe-in-candidate-who-took-holiday-during-campaign-tops-poll-in-kildare-south-1838905/

The politicians have even voted on their own pay increases - of course they will say it was based on a recommendation from a special independent body set-up to examine the matter but who appoints the body/committee in the first instance?

Politician salaries are linked to comparable grades of civil service pay. So a TD is on Principal Officer rate, a Senator is on Assistant Principal rate.

So they don't 'vote their own pay increases' really.

But what's the alternative? They ARE the government. Who else can set their salary, that would be appointed by the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Ivan is the opposite of "woke" which can be entertaining. However one thing I find annoying about Ivan is that he is very out of touch with ordinary Irish people. When Deirdre started as a teacher back in the 1970s or whenever it was a lot easier to live on the salary she got than what teachers get today. Children were better behaved then too and you wouldn't get sued for trying to save your life either (not that you had to try and save your life in those days). Back then teachers could buy houses in their 20s, had a good living and could probably save as well if they played their cards right. Now it's totally different for teachers especially those under 40.

Deirdre will be driven mad by having Ivan under her feet all day when he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

And wait till normal retirement age, as current TDs cannot avail of the early payment that was available to Ivan and his peers.

I'm not so sure that they do. Many will spend the recess periods scurrying around the constituency, attending residents meetings about potholes and thefts of whistles, meeting their constituents who expect them to fix their own particular health/legal/passport/road issue, buying pints in pubs etc. Because if they don't do this kind of social work, they won't get reelected next time.

If you're referring to this lady, she was not a serving TD. She was elected, not re-elected.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/02/11/news/sinn-fe-in-candidate-who-took-holiday-during-campaign-tops-poll-in-kildare-south-1838905/

Politician salaries are linked to comparable grades of civil service pay. So a TD is on Principal Officer rate, a Senator is on Assistant Principal rate.

But what's the alternative? They ARE the government. Who else can set their salary, that would be appointed by the government?

do people think politicians are underpaid?

i wouldnt do it for double the money.

• Advertisement

The basis of those remarks was around TDs having to attend Dáil Éireann on sitting days and yes of course it goes without saying that they also have their constituency clinics, meetings, representations/lobbying on behalf of this constituent etc; I was not suggesting that nothing was done whatsoever when the Dáil was not sitting. Whether the Dáil sits 188 days or 100 days or whatever number of days in a given year, these things still need to be carried out in their constituency. We all know that some TDs and MEPs can work harder than others for various reasons and will probably be remembered the next time constituents are heading off to the polls (i.e.) those who are willing to exercise their democratic right.

That said, some politicians who are unlikely to be re-elected can always opt not to put their name forward once again when fresh elections are imminent such as for example; former TD Dara Murphy, former MEP Brian Crowley etc;

I stand corrected regarding the politician you referenced, I now understand that she had been a sitting councillor before she was elected as a TD to Dáil Éireann by 12,152 votes in count number 6 for the Kildare South constituency.

They rubber stamp their own approval of something that can materially benefit their salary is in effect a conflict of interest. As for the government, this is the Civil Service although; political accountability lies with the sitting government administration. I appreciate that this can be a complex area but there has got to be a better way as it must be seen to be credible in the minds of the general public.

https://www.businesspost.ie/more-politics/tds-may-face-dail-vote-on-awarding-own-pay-rises-of-5000-f778bf28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Allinall wrote: »
    Never known anyone to work as hard as Ivan.

Fair play to him for coming back from the brink and getting his sh1t back together.

Hope he enjoys his retirement.

Possible presidential material in a few years time.

Is that you Deirdre?

Treppen wrote: »
    Bring back George Hook I say

I preferred the breadth of topics and range of contributors on "The Right Hook" with George Hook 4:30pm-7pm on Newstalk some years back. The show also captured the mood of a Friday evening by being a little different to the other weekdays in it's approach by using a more laid back signature tune and format.

Another broadcaster I used admire doing similar radio was Eamon Dunphy who was one of the original presenters of "The Last Word" when it first started on Radio Ireland which later became Today fm) and his original co-presenter was Anne Marie Hourihane but this format was short-lived and Eamon continued as a solo act). Eamon mixed the serious issues of the day along with humourous sketches which made for great radio.

Then I nearly forgot about journalist Tom McGurk who used do McGurk on 4FM which was a mix of news/current affairs interspersed by music! HE used anchor RTÉ tv coverage of Rugby football coverage for many years and used also fill in for Today with Pat Kenny on RTÉ Radio 1 back in the day amongst many other things.

They rubber stamp their own approval of something that can materially benefit their salary is in effect a conflict of interest. As for the government, this is the Civil Service although; political accountability lies with the sitting government administration. I appreciate that this can be a complex area but there has got to be a better way as it must be seen to be credible in the minds of the general public.

https://www.businesspost.ie/more-politics/tds-may-face-dail-vote-on-awarding-own-pay-rises-of-5000-f778bf28

A better way such as?

A better way such as?

Let the people of Ireland have their say on how it's politicians are awarded such % increases. After all, this is public money coming out of taxpayer funds. The background could easily explained by a body similar to the Referendum Commission who would put forward the argument "For" and "Against" the motion via the media.

Do you think our politicians should be awarded an increase of X % ?

Majority who vote in favour will carry the motion.

Very simple really - if there's the will, there's a way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

meeeeh wrote: »
    Anyway I'll miss him, I think he has good political mind and is very shrewd operator.

He's a bullshitter.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1225687811233202177

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Cyrus wrote: »
    do people think politicians are underpaid?

i wouldnt do it for double the money.

Same. The level of abuse and vitriol particularly online against politicians is beyond the pale. They are the lightning rod for all peoples ills and woes.
    As well as being on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
    I wouldn't be a proper TD for 3 times the money (although maybe a pork barrel independent might be manageable alright).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It wasn't the fact he got into financial trouble that made me dislike him, we all make mistakes, - it was on his return to Ireland after spending a year in Wales to fulfill some requirement for bankruptcy - that he spluttered out out all this in the media on this return to garner sympathy for himself. Poor you trying to make a fortune and it all went wrong, isn't life tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

meeeeh wrote: »
    People who do and try things can make mistakes. You can't lose your business and go bankrupt if you don't try run it first. You can't become politician and minister and be criticised for it if you don't run. You can't be a radio presenter who annoys whole pile of people if you don't try it. The easiest thing is criticize others and not try anything yourself.

Anyway I'll miss him, I think he has good political mind and is very shrewd operator. I
    suspect he'll still do an odd corporate gig and possibly some radio and tv work but not daily. Btw he has chronic back pain and a lot of people with that would be on some sort of disability allowance.

Based on his recent 'calling it' segment he knows very little about politics.
    He seems very stupid and boorish.

A bookies would be a good way to launder bribes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

FG will miss him the biased get

Advertisement