Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivan Yates to retire in August

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

FG will miss him the biased boll*x,,,,

Useless fu¢king blueshirt pri¢k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭con747

Won't have to look at the obnoxious twat on tv anymore hopefully.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

In fairness I don’t think anybody saw Sinn Féin’s surge coming true on polling day apart from Sinn Fein supporters themselves. He did start to change his mind on some seats when the new polls came out. If you listened to his predictions he has a very detailed knowledge of the candidates in many constituency’s and is the reason why he has been very accurate in the past. The modern world is very different though.
    Heck who could have thought an anti vaxxer, charity cheater looney would be elected? Heck even a student that hasn’t sit his exams yet was a whisker away from getting elected having got just 507 votes last May.
    Useless fu¢king blueshirt pri¢k

Charming!

So many negative opinions on him. A lot of anger it seems too. Why? Chill out folks. Don’t watch or listen to him then. That’s okay. I liked him. He provided a bit of colour to even the most bland of subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

So, who would people like by way of replacement once Ivan Yates retires from full-time broadcasting:

(1) on the radio weekdays 4:00 to 7:00pm on NewsTalk 106-108 ?
    AND
    (2) on "The Tonight Show" on Virgin Media One tv
    or should Matt Cooper become the sole presenter of this tv programme next Autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭con747

Never listened to him on radio, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dunphy was resurrected!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

So, who would people like by way of replacement once Ivan Yates retires from full-time broadcasting:

(1) on the radio weekdays 4:00 to 7:00pm on NewsTalk 106-108 ?
    AND
    (2) on "The Tonight Show" on Virgin Media One tv
    or should Matt Cooper become the sole presenter of this tv programme next Autumn?

Eoin McDermott or his sister Row. Or Jennifer Gannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Based on his recent 'calling it' segment he knows very little about politics.
    He seems very stupid and boorish.

SF must know even less considering they didn't even field enough candidates. I'm not going into debate about last election here but if that is the only criteria then a very stupid party got the most votes this time.

Eoin McDermott or his sister Row. Or Jennifer Gannon.

I would have thought the role would be more suited to news/curent affairs junkies so not sure if the above suggestions would be to the forefront.

Other possible contenders to replace Ivan Yates on radio/tv may include:

Charlie Bird - ex- RTÉ chief news correspondent
    David Davin-Power - former RTÉ News political editor
    Richard Crowley - formerly of "This Week" on RTÉ Radio 1, Prime Time on RTÉ One tv
    Mark Little - former presenter of PrimeTime and founder of Storyful

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Let the people of Ireland have their say on how it's politicians are awarded such % increases. After all, this is public money coming out of taxpayer funds. The background could easily explained by a body similar to the Referendum Commission who would put forward the argument "For" and "Against" the motion via the media.

Do you think our politicians should be awarded an increase of X % ?

Majority who vote in favour will carry the motion.

Very simple really - if there's the will, there's a way!

My own view is that it is ridiculous to ask the people to vote on stuff like this. Very few people read content from the Referendum Commission. There is little possibility of any kind of a rational debate on this topic.

Why would we ask the people to vote on this issue, and not vote on (for example) the Corporation Tax rate or the Property Tax rate or the VAT rate, all of which have much, much bigger financial implications of the State.

If you're going to put a Government into place, you have to let them get on with the job.

I know the US electorate get to vote on more micro-level decisions ('Vote on Proposition xxx') and vote for judges and coronors and other public posts. I'd love to hear if this generally results in better outcomes for the population, though it is probably impossible to measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I think the people should be able to retroactively alter politicians salaries.

In fact they can by referendum.

• Advertisement

My own view is that it is ridiculous to ask the people to vote on stuff like this. Very few people read content from the Referendum Commission. There is little possibility of any kind of a rational debate on this topic.

Why would we ask the people to vote on this issue, and not vote on (for example) the Corporation Tax rate or the Property Tax rate or the VAT rate, all of which have much, much bigger financial implications of the State.

If you're going to put a Government into place, you have to let them get on with the job.

I know the US electorate get to vote on more micro-level decisions ('Vote on Proposition xxx') and vote for judges and coronors and other public posts. I'd love to hear if this generally results in better outcomes for the population, though it is probably impossible to measure.

Ah well, I think the people of Ireland would much rather be properly informed and get to exercise their say on such decisions rather than have a government meet in crisis and have Dáil Éireann vote on certain issues like the night of the infamous "Bank Guarantee" which has and will continue to affect Irish citizens long into the future although; Irish citizens had no say in that process whatsoever. As registered voters could potentially be waiting 4-5 years before being able to pass judgement on their local TDs again, this can be too long when so much is happening.

I would also have concerns about the way some TDs have behaved in the past while voting in the Dáil with some TDs voting on behalf of their colleagues who were absent from the Dáil chamber.

We have a system whereby all those who stand for election publish & present an Election Manifesto containing what they will do if elected to run the country - unfortunately the reality is so much different as no political party has successfully won an overall majority since Fianna Fáil way back in 1977. As a result, we have minority governments or a coalition between parties and the election pledges are either diluted or abandoned altogether. The manifestos are basically only a starting point so; voters need to keep tabs on what's being decided as the costs all come out of the public purse at the end of the day.

I'm not all that bothered if American citizens vote on matters of public importance as they must take responsibility in their own system of government administration just like we should with our own.

The Irish electorate is very different and said to be quite sophisticated in how it votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Absolutely no loss whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Can't see much difference, just going from shovelling sh1te on the radio, to shovelling sh1te on the farm.
    He must be a rare breed. A bookie who went broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think the people should be able to retroactively alter politicians salaries.

In fact they can by referendum.
    And your salary too? If your employer changes their mind about the value you bring after a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

seamus wrote: »
    He calls himself a journalist.

When I pay to see a clown, I expect to laugh. When I pay to see a musician, I expect to hear music.

When I pay to see an entertainer, I expect to be entertained. When I pay to hear a journalist, I expect to hear facts.
    I didnt realise you were paying his salary, my apologies.
    seamus wrote: »
    At least people who call themselves "professional contrarians" are being upfront about it.
    Ah come on, he is hardly a closet contrarian!

Advertisement