Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruit Prison Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AndrewTW

Dean2020 wrote: »
    am failing the maths l am dont see why maths are in his exams dont see why would ya need maths in the prision serivce really dont to become a prision officer

Numeracy skills would be somewhat important within a prison environment, But do not dwell too much on it, some practice and you are going to be grand, This is coming from someone that did alright in the test with very little numeracy skills :D.
    Try to ignore the negative comments and focus on the positive ones, The prison service will be recruiting again, and within the next year so get ready now and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Hemmingsway

AndrewTW wrote: »
    Numeracy skills would be somewhat important within a prison environment, But do not dwell too much on it, some practice and you are going to be grand, This is coming from someone that did alright in the test with very little numeracy skills :D.
    Try to ignore the negative comments and focus on the positive ones, The prison service will be recruiting again, and within the next year so get ready now and best of luck.

if you can count I think you will be fine :). For me it was the timer that puts the extra pressure on you when doing the numerical test, but the more I practiced the quicker I solved each question.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AndrewTW

if you can count I think you will be fine :). For me it was the timer that puts the extra pressure on you when doing the numerical test, but the more I practiced the quicker I solved each question.

For me, it was all down to the percentages I had a 25% chance of getting the question right, that day I was lucky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dean2020

Thank u very much to some people nó need for the negative comments am sure they wouldn't be like that in a prison environment being cheeky and acting the hard man😁get ready for the next one l will l be well Pepered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Thank u very much to some people nó need for the negative comments am sure they wouldn't be like that in a prison environment being cheeky and acting the hard manðŸ˜get ready for the next one l will l be well Pepered

Dean, you say you've gone for the job a few times and haven't got it. What have you done to improve yourself in the meantime?

I don't know if you have something along the lines of dyslexia but your spelling and grammar is atrocious. If it's not a recognised condition I would suggest enrolling in an adult learning course for writing and a basic maths course. You won't need a huge amount of maths but you'll have to be able to keep track of where prisoners are if they aren't in cell during breaks (44 cell + 8 kitchen +2 mess + 1 tuckshop = 55) etc. You'll also be required to write legible breakfast, dinner and teaguard reports as well as the occasional halfsheet.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results and all that.

Good luck going for the job either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dean2020

Being honest l have done noting that the meantime since failed stage 2 their few months in assignment centre after Christmas l am looking to do a few classes l am on maths and English to improve myself for the next campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Being honest l have done noting that the meantime since failed stage 2 their few months in assignment centre after Christmas l am looking to do a few classes l am on maths and English to improve myself for the next campaign.

Good idea. It can only help when going for the prison service again. I'd suggest contacting your local Education and Training Board as they run free adult literacy classes. It could be the difference you need to get the job. Follow the link to find details for your local office and best of luck.

https://www.etbi.ie/etbs/directory-of-etbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Does anyone know which documents are needed for Stage 4? I can't lay my hands on the docs they gave me at Stage 2, poor form I know. Was it long form birth cert, passport, secondary/third level documentation? Do I need a police cert done for them or do they sort out that themselves with background check?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Tomtom3105

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Does anyone know which documents are needed for Stage 4? I can't lay my hands on the docs they gave me at Stage 2, poor form I know. Was it long form birth cert, passport, secondary/third level documentation? Do I need a police cert done for them or do they sort out that themselves with background check?

Ther should be a list of required documents in your public jobs message board cos that's how they sent them to us I'm sure

This whole process is a load of **** to be quite honest, very hard for someone to stay fully motivated for this when you haven’t a clue where you stand or when you’ll be contacted next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

This whole process is a load of **** to be quite honest, very hard for someone to stay fully motivated for this when you haven’t a clue where you stand or when you’ll be contacted next

You better be ready for 30 years of it cos it won't improve much.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ironhead93

The funny thing is no matter what your OOM is, if you have a large number of relatives abroad you will more than likely start behind people 100+ places behind you who have no family abroad because the security clearance will take forever so OOM really isnt a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Any word in the grapevine on a 2021 competition for RPO's?

JKerova1 wrote:
    Any word in the grapevine on a 2021 competition for RPO's?

What are you like at keeping secrets?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

What are you like at keeping secrets?

Not bad

JKerova1 wrote:
    Not bad

I'm pretty good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 clum2020

Hi Folks, just wondering if anyone from the 2020 competition irrespective of OOM has got there security clearance back at this point?

Got my one back before Christmas said mine was one of the first back.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭timmy2772

You sent you clearance away in late october and had it back in December ? 🤔

Wow that's seriously efficient considering the security clearance was only submitted in November. Lol, you must have no family history or never left your county I'd say. ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

Id love to take a job like this just to have the chance to beat the piss out of some of the scrotes in jail these days. No doubt that's not even allowed now and you'd probably end up earning them a payday if you so much as blew at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guerillabear

Dionrix15 wrote: »
    Got my one back before Christmas said mine was one of the first back.

Wow, that’s good news.

In light of the current ongoing national Covid-19 restrictions that involve working remotely from home I would find it hard to believe that anyone has received back security clearance at this point..

Ive had security clearance done before for Gun licences etc so would have seen ive already been checked, Phone call was from Prison service HR in Longford. They said there was a small few back but they were told at the start of the campaign that it could take 18+ weeks for the security clearance to come back.

Ive been told by a guard the security clearance should only take a maximum of 2 months so if its taking any longer he advised just to ring the guard station your clearance has went to and ask for an update, My uncle is 3 years in the Prison service now and he was waiting 2 months for his clearance forms back and he rang his local Garda station to see why it was taking so long and they said no one had got around to checking it.

It's not just simply contacting your local Garda station and asking them to put a hurry up with it to be fair. I spoke with IPS two weeks ago and they confirmed that candidates from the 2018 and 2019 competition are still awaiting security clearance in 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guerillabear

Dionrix15 wrote: »
    Ive been told by a guard the security clearance should only take a maximum of 2 months so if its taking any longer he advised just to ring the guard station your clearance has went to and ask for an update, My uncle is 3 years in the Prison service now and he was waiting 2 months for his clearance forms back and he rang his local Garda station to see why it was taking so long and they said no one had got around to checking it.

Isn’t that Garda vetting? The security clearance and the Garda vetting are completely separate according to the IPS person I emailed.

Yeah I heard that aswell, but they have already taken in 2/3 classes before Christmas, Everything is held up with Covid even if you get your Clearance back you cant go any further until they sort the fitness tests out so its just a waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Biker90

Yes they are completely separate , Did anyone get clearance recently or a start date ?

• Advertisement

Isn't the security clearance also looked after by the Guards as well ? That's what I was told anyways could be wrong.

Advertisement