Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland Need A Nigel Farage?

Options
  • 15-02-2020 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Nigel Farage was one of the main catalysts behind the Brexit campaign and has always put his country first. He was the voice of the people and powered through until the bitter end to give the people what they wanted.
    Coming from a business background he brings something different to the table compared to your average politician. His huge popularity and achievements have been recognised and is now a hot favourite to be knighted next year.

When I look at the politicians in Ireland I fail to think of any great orators, nobody who can captivate an audience. There's a huge demand for someone is unafraid of the establishment and is not afraid to speak out on common sense issues. So many of our previous politicians have sold the Irish out over the years and our very recent election proved much of nation are sick of the old guard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

splashuum wrote: »
    Nigel Farage was one of the main catalysts behind the Brexit campaign and has always put his country first. He was the voice of the people and powered through until the bitter end to give the people what they wanted.
    Coming from a business background he brings something different to the table compared to your average politician. His huge popularity and achievements have been recognised and is now a hot favourite to be knighted next year.

When I look at the politicians in Ireland I fail to think of any great orators, nobody who can captivate an audience. There's a huge demand for someone is unafraid of the establishment and is not afraid to speak out on common sense issues. So many of our previous politicians have sold the Irish out over the years and our very recent election proved much of nation are sick of the old guard.

Who would it be do you think?
    Peter Casey type of lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ireland has no shortage of cvnts already.

He brings a different brand of jocularity to the table, that of a laughing stock with zero self-awareness.

"Great orator" if you filter it through twelve pints of bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

splashuum wrote: »

Nigel Farage always put his country first? :D

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-06-25/brexit-big-short-how-pollsters-helped-hedge-funds-beat-the-crash

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

We already have Casey, Ross, the Healy-Raes, Lowry, Kelly, O'Snodaigh etc. We're stocked up in the selfish tw*ts in it to make a few quid for themselves and incompetent idiots categories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I think Ireland does need more Euroscepticism. I don't think that should come in a Farage like form but questioning the EU is not common in Irish political life and I think it could be beneficial. For example instead of following the EU line on everything perhaps questioning what is and what is not in the national interest could be better. I would say no more power should be handed over to Brussels. Every single referendum on treaty changes that give more power to the EU at the expense of member states should be rejected.

Then again I'm outside of the state and can't vote so it's up to people living in Ireland to decide this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We already have a guy, Hermann Kelly of the Irexit lobby.

Old school colleague of mine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Kelly

For example instead of following the EU line on everything perhaps questioning what is and what is not in the national interest could be better. .

We dont "follow the EU line on everything" we ARE the EU. The EU line is come to by its members.

Why would we come to a consensus, make it public, then go against it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Farage was/is a cretin who made his big money in the City then made more money out of sitting on the European Parliament while peddling lies and mistruths and doing to hale fellow well me bulli**** which ill educated poor people sucked up not understanding he was laughing up his sleeve at them.

Meanwhile the new taking back control UK is selling itself to China.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think Ireland does need more Euroscepticism. I don't think that should come in a Farage like form but questioning the EU is not common in Irish political life and I think it could be beneficial. For example instead of following the EU line on everything perhaps questioning what is and what is not in the national interest could be better. I would say no more power should be handed over to Brussels. Every single referendum on treaty changes that give more power to the EU at the expense of member states should be rejected.

Then again I'm outside of the state and can't vote so it's up to people living in Ireland to decide this.

If a country does not ratify a treaty, that means they have to leave the EU. I think it is a bad idea to put complicated treaties in the form of a YES/NO question to the electorate. Some of them might vote because of things like housing, or Charlie Haughey's shirt instead of reading the text and understading it.

All the other member states ratify the treaties in their parliaments. If an Irexit party comes along and gets into government, then that would be a basis for rejecting treaties.

• Advertisement

So you're saying that if Ireland didn't ratify the Lisbon Treaty on the second attempt they would have to leave?

I thought the only way to leave the EU was through the Article 50 process.

In my view handing over any more control to Brussels than what they already have would be dangerous. If anything the EU needs to take less control from member states rather than taking more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

What do we need a posh boy spiv city trader who moans about immigrants and wants to sell off public services?

We’ve enough of those in Fine Gael already.

We dont "follow the EU line on everything" we ARE the EU. The EU line is come to by its members.

Why would we come to a consensus, make it public, then go against it?

Aha, and there are 26 other members who may want things that aren't in Ireland's interests. Including changing EU treaties to take more powers from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 logseman

He also applied for a German passport on day one after the 2016 referendum. Proper patriot that one.

So you're saying that if Ireland didn't ratify the Lisbon Treaty on the second attempt they would have to leave?

I thought the only way to leave the EU was through the Article 50 process.

In my view handing over any more control to Brussels than what they already have would be dangerous. If anything the EU needs to take less control from member states rather than taking more.

Under what basis can a member state reject treaties ratified by all the rest and still remain a member?

Under what basis can a member state reject treaties ratified by all the rest and still remain a member.

Can you explain the legal mechanism for kicking a member state out of the EU?

I'm just asking you to explain what you claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

people mock him but what he achieved is monumental. call him a crank of you must but he set himself an impossible task and somehow pulled it off

Aha, and there are 26 other members who may want things that aren't in Ireland's interests. Including changing EU treaties to take more powers from Ireland.

There are 25 other counties in the country that might want things that are not in Clares interest. Should we abolish the Dail and have 26 small countries with their own governments?

Can you explain the legal mechanism for kicking a member state out of the EU?

I'm just asking you to explain what you claimed.

I will put it in the form to which a text of hundreds of pages of a new treaty would be presented to the people for decision.

Can a member state reject treaties ratified by all the other member states, and still remain a member of the EU

Yes or No.

people mock him but what he achieved is monumental. call him a crank of you must but he set himself an impossible task and somehow pulled it off
    What was "impossible" about getting away from the EU the country that has been the most Euroskeptic, with the press and the different Tory/Labour governments railing at it for decades?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

I will put it in the form to which a text of hundreds of pages of a new treaty would be presented to the people for decision.

Can a member state reject treaties ratified by all the other member states, and still remain a member of the EU

Yes or No.

Yes. Unless all 27 states ratify the treaty, the treaty fails and the status quo remains. There's no mechanism to eject an EU member.

Brexit was achieved by 40 years of relentless anti EU propaganda in the English press. Farage couldn't even get elected to parliament in a first past the post system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Short answer, no.

Long answer, why would Ireland want a s*** stirrer like him? What would Ireland gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Does Ireland need a xeno-phobic economically illiterate, bar stool trade negotiater?

With an added dollop of daft cúnt?

Well if we did, and there was call for such a person...
    Surely with our PRSTV system they'd have at least won a seat on a council at this stage?

Where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

lol guys, i'm not his publicist, but if you dont think delivering brexit was an impressive piece of work fair enough, you saw it coming, most people didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Does Ireland need somebody looking out for business owners , high earners etc.. and whos not afraid to say things that arent ‘PC’ - absolutely

Do we need somebody trying to pull us out of the EU - no

How many more election defeats must you endure to see that there is the square root of zero appetite for someone of Farage's ilk in Ireland?

Several car boot sale versions have ran in numerous local, national and European elections and have received less votes than Chris Doran in the 2004 Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Nigel Farrage would not scare the establishment here.

We will just vote SF when we really want to terrify people.

lol guys, i'm not his publicist, but if you dont think delivering brexit was an impressive piece of work fair enough, you saw it coming, most people didnt.
    He didn't "deliver" Brexit. He just agitated for it. The ones who delivered Brexit were the MPs who actually campaigned for it and have handled the different votes that came afterward, with a generous helping of the press which amplified patent falsehoods by bus, and an actual Project Fear by billboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

He sold Brexit to a politically illiterate public.
    Imagine flying home from your home on the Costa, with your social security, and pension rights secured and supported by EU treaty...
    To vote to leave because you are fed up of immigrants?

Imagine working in a car plant in the UK, that relies on JiT parts arriving tarrif and duty free to an exact schedule?
    And voting leave because somehow WTO rules will make your job more secure?

That he found support for his stance is surprising.
    That he actually managed to make turkeys vote for Christmas and look forward to it...

Even more so!

Serious questions still to be answered about his funding tho.

Advertisement