Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland Need A Nigel Farage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Need his equivalent like a hole in the head. In England, decades of anti EU and nationalist jingoism gave space for Farage to emerge and eventually gain capital by the anti migrant stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

logseman wrote: »
    He didn't "deliver" Brexit. He just agitated for it. The ones who delivered Brexit were the MPs who actually campaigned for it, with a generous helping of the press which amplified patent falsehoods by bus, and an actual Project Fear by billboard.
    he campaigned for it for 25 years and it happened. he was laughed out of it. well they're not laughing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

banie01 wrote: »
    He sold Brexit to a politically illiterate public.
    Imagine flying home from your home on the Costa, with your social security, and pension rights secured and supported by EU treaty...
    To vote to leave because you are fed up of immigrants?

Imagine working in a car plant in the UK, that relies on JiT parts arriving tarrif and duty free to an exact schedule?
    And voting leave because somehow WTO rules will make your job more secure?

That he found support for his stance is surprising.
    That he actually managed to make turkeys vote for Christmas and look forward to it...

Even more so!

Serious questions still to be answered about his funding tho.

... and imagine the areas of the UK who receive the most in EU funding being the ones who voted in highest percentages to leave.

banie01 wrote: »
    He sold Brexit to a politically illiterate public.

Deplorables! Gammons!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 logseman

he campaigned for it for 25 years and it happened. he was laughed out of it. well they're not laughing now.

I, as a Spaniard, also wanted Spain to win a World Cup and cheered for it. That doesn't mean I can take credit for Spain winning in 2010.

After the ****show of the last 4 years many people are still laughing, and not because of anything that Farage did or didn't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Why would we need some chancer like Farage? As the Brexit disaster is still unfolding, can we all just sit back for a while and wait for reality to dawn on even those most ardent supporters of Farage that maybe this whole Brexit lark wasn't exactly the best idea after all.

so nigel farage was in no way instrumental in brexit?

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and imagine the areas of the UK who receive the most in EU funding being the ones who voted in highest percentages to leave.

The mindframe was "the EU have made us poorer, poor enough that now we need to live on the dole that they give us". I can see how with that state of mind resentment will build up enough for the vote to go that way, regardless of the truth of the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He could be the man that did even more than Sinn Fein to deliver a United Ireland. Genius move to create a customs border between different nations of the UK. Hero of our times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

so nigel farage was in no way instrumental in brexit?

He had a role clearly, exploiting the anger of "left behind", but the real bringer of Brexit was the Tory party who's internal tensions grew as Thatchers Children filled out the rank and file at local level and the back benches (and now the front benches under Johnson since yesterday). Many will claim something - I'm sure the Telegraph think it's all their work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Panrich

And it’s even further from laughing they’ll be when they’re out without a deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Never got why people can't stand him. He is the epitome of your average Brit.

At least he goes for what he believes in.

What does he believe in though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Nigel Farage.

He had a role clearly, exploiting the anger of "left behind", but the real bringer of Brexit was the Tory party who's internal tensions grew as Thatchers Children filled out the rank and file at local level and the back benches (and now the front benches under Johnson since yesterday). Many will claim something - I'm sure the Telegraph think it's all their work.
    he is brexit personified.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Never got why people can't stand him. He is the epitome of your average Brit.

At least he goes for what he believes in.

Doesn’t represent the average Brit I know. And failed to convince enough Brits to ever elect him to Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

alastair wrote: »
    Doesn’t represent the average Brit I know. And failed to convince enough Brits to ever elect him to Westminster.

On 9 occasions? Our Gemma must be trying to fill the hole the OP is worried about.

Nigel Farage.

You would hope so, but no more than anyone is entitled to have faith or believe in themselves.

I just never really understood the hate he gets. Anytime I have seen him being interviewed he has spoken a lot of sense.

Having a different political view or a contrasting outlook on the world should not be an excuse to deliver beatings on someone's character.

I don't feel he is a mad Nazi or anything like that, not wanting to be part of a trade agreement is hardly a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You would hope so, but no more than anyone is entitled to have faith or believe in themselves.

I just never really understood the hate he gets. Anytime I have seen him being interviewed he has spoken a lot of sense.

Having a different political view or a contrasting outlook on the world should not be an excuse to deliver beatings on someone's character.

I don't feel he is a mad Nazi or anything like that, not wanting to be part of a trade agreement is hardly a crime.

Apart from being a serial liar he's grand.

In fairness Brits can come in all different shapes n sizes. You may have misinterpreted what I have said. What I was trying to say is that is quite typically British, even he would admit that.

I don't get your point about Westminster?

Apart from being a serial liar he's grand.

In fairness he is a politician, they do doo that.

• Advertisement

In fairness he is a politician, they do doo that.

No. Apart from Boris Johnson, there isn't a current British politician who has lied more than Farage.

Truth be told, he should have been elected in a proper election system. Countries without First-Past-The-Post systems have gotten their far-right wings in parliament and given them the chance to be themselves. In the US/UK they simply can't split off, so they have to create sophisticated ways of hijacking the established parties.

No. Apart from Boris Johnson, there isn't a current British politician who has lied more than Farage.

I reckon you can think deeper than that?

Let me give you a helping hand.

Margaret Thatcher, Jeffrey Archer, Michael Heseltine, Norman Tebbit, Nigel Lawson, Douglas Herd, Tony Blair, Peter Mandelson , …. I am getting bored now?

I reckon you can think deeper than that?

Let me give you a helping hand.

Margaret Thatcher, Jeffrey Archer, Michael Heseltine, Norman Tebbit, Nigel Lawson, Douglas Herd, Tony Blair, Peter Mandelson , …. I am getting bored now?

'Hurd'.

Definition of 'current': Occurring in or existing at the present time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

splashuum wrote:
    Nigel Farage was one of the main catalysts behind the Brexit campaign and has always put his country first. He was the voice of the people and powered through until the bitter end to give the people what they wanted. Coming from a business background he brings something different to the table compared to your average politician. His huge popularity and achievements have been recognised and is now a hot favourite to be knighted next year.

Knighted! WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I want to see us reduce the number of TDs, Senators and Councillors that we have.

Half the number, half the horsh1te and scams, half the cost, easier to keep the rest under the microscope.

For me, that would get us a long way towsrds having a better system, which in turn might bring better people into politics.

Thanks,

G.

'Hurd'.

Definition of 'current': Occurring in or existing at the present time.

Thanks, and apologies for my recollection of 80's UK cabinet ministers name spelling. I am getting rusty.

I hope I have not spoilt your day or anything.

What did Nigel Farage lie about?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats some list of current politicians. Ones even dead.

Thats some list of current politicians. Ones even dead.

They all lied though. Sometimes it takes a few years for the truth to unfold.

Or maybe a few posts....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

logseman wrote: »
    He also applied for a German passport on day one after the 2016 referendum. Proper patriot that one.
    Your "source's" news is that he have not openly denied having German passport.

It's also pointed out that 2 of his kids have German passports.
    So what? Their mother is German so the kids have passports through her.

Why do you have to use ‘new left media’? Couldn't find confirmation in other media?

Advertisement