Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland Need A Nigel Farage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    They all lied though. Sometimes it takes a few years for the truth to unfold.

Or maybe a few posts....

Winston Churchill lied too , but it has **** all relevance in a list of current politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I reckon you can think deeper than that?

Let me give you a helping hand.

Margaret Thatcher, Jeffrey Archer, Michael Heseltine, Norman Tebbit, Nigel Lawson, Douglas Herd, Tony Blair, Peter Mandelson , …. I am getting bored now?

Thatcher, for all her despicable policies, was pretty straightforward. She generally didn’t bother lying.

Farage is a skilled and effective liar though - in the Steve Bannon mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Farage hates the EU, so a sinn feiner might suit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Thanks, and apologies for my recollection of 80's UK cabinet ministers name spelling. I am getting rusty.

I hope I have not spoilt your day or anything.

What did Nigel Farage lie about?

Lots of things. A sample:

"The British Supreme Court can be overruled by the ECJ."
    No, it can't.

"Britain will have access to the single market without free movement of people."
    This is impossible.

"The EU costs Britain 55 million per day"
    This is more than double the real figure.

"70% of laws are made by the EU"
    The real figure is 13%.

"Saudi Arabia didn't take a single refugee."
    Saudi Arabia has millions of refugees and has granted permanency to hundreds of thousands.

"Barack Obama enacted extreme vetting on immigration during his presidency."
    He did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Bullocks wrote: »
    Who would it be do you think?
    Peter Casey type of lad?

Peter Casey is not a good speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I will put it in the form to which a text of hundreds of pages of a new treaty would be presented to the people for decision.

Can a member state reject treaties ratified by all the other member states, and still remain a member of the EU

Yes or No.

I actually don't know but you claimed the EU would kick Ireland out. By what legal mechanism? Can you show me? Or is it just a hunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

splashuum wrote: »
    Peter Casey is not a good speaker.

Peter casey is not a good orator or politician, but he certainly says some things that we all think and policiticans dare not say out loud.

Peter casey is not a good orator or politician, but he certainly says some things that we all think and policiticans dare not say out loud.

He certainly doesn’t speak for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Nigel Farage was one of the main catalysts behind the Brexit campaign and has always put his country first. He was the voice of the people and powered through until the bitter end to give the people what they wanted.
    Coming from a business background he brings something different to the table compared to your average politician. His huge popularity and achievements have been recognised and is now a hot favourite to be knighted next year.

When I look at the politicians in Ireland I fail to think of any great orators, nobody who can captivate an audience. There's a huge demand for someone is unafraid of the establishment and is not afraid to speak out on common sense issues. So many of our previous politicians have sold the Irish out over the years and our very recent election proved much of nation are sick of the old guard.

I keep on saying this, we have an issue here, because all of them in politicics, certainly in FFG, are spineless , populist weasels, wanting to be adored by the masses. You cant offend anyone, when you dont make decisions etc. Its why FFG tool a hammering this election, you cant solve problems, if you A) dont do anything or B) dont deem a problem for others, to be a problem for you (I.e the case of FG and supporting rip off property)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I keep on saying this, we have an issue here, because all of them in politicics, certainly in FFG, are spineless , populist weasels, wanting to be adored by the masses. You cant offend anyone, when you dont make decisions etc. Its why FFG tool a hammering this election, you cant solve problems, if you A) dont do anything or B) dont deem a problem for others, to be a problem for you (I.e the case of FG and supporting rip off property)

When I see people using FFG instead of FF and FG, I'm tempted to use The Ra instead of SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I actually don't know but you claimed the EU would kick Ireland out. By what legal mechanism? Can you show me? Or is it just a hunch.

It could be a hunch. But it was informed by the necessity to reverse the result of the first Lisbon referendum. Your contention is that that all the other states would reverse their ratification of treaties, if Ireland (as the only member needing a referendum) voted them down. Instead of that, we were invited to to reverse our decision. You come from a standpoint of wanting Ireland to reject all future treaties.

When I see people using FFG instead of FF and FG, I'm tempted to use The Ra instead of SF.

Its quicker than saying FF and Fg, FG are more prudent and less populist and the
    chances of them merging? LOL! LOL!

the FFG just applies to , choose the easy path, populist, dont upset the apple cart, they are similar in that regard and its been those two parties as the major ones here for decades and they have been ****!

Its quicker than saying FF and Fg, FG are more prudent and less populist and the

the FFG just applies to , choose the easy path, populist, dont upset the apple cart, they are similar in that regard and its been those two parties as the major ones here for decades and they have been ****!

I only use Sinn Fein IRA when replying to Blueshirts comments.

Unlike the fantastically well-oiled machine that was/is UKIP. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Nigel Farage was one of the main catalysts behind the Brexit campaign and has always put his country first. He was the voice of the people and powered through until the bitter end to give the people what they wanted.
    Coming from a business background he brings something different to the table compared to your average politician. His huge popularity and achievements have been recognised and is now a hot favourite to be knighted next year.

When I look at the politicians in Ireland I fail to think of any great orators, nobody who can captivate an audience. There's a huge demand for someone is unafraid of the establishment and is not afraid to speak out on common sense issues. So many of our previous politicians have sold the Irish out over the years and our very recent election proved much of nation are sick of the old guard.

he only gave a tiny minority what they wanted.
    i would suggest he doesn't actually have huge popularity given he has been rejected every time he has ran for election as an mp.

incorrect, he only says some things only some people think.
    he does not speak for us all.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,492 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nigel Farage was one of the main catalysts behind the Brexit campaign and has always put his country first.

Gonna stop you right there - he did not put his country first. He was motivated by selfishness, greed and xenophobia and lied to his country in order to get what he wanted and was quiet happy to risk the chaos it may well have caused for his country as it was very unlikely to affect him personally.

That;s not putting your country first.

Anyway - we put all this garbage behind us with the recent results of the geenral election and the wildly incompetnent pro-nationalist arguments (and by "arguments" I mean lies as some of the advocates were caught red handed) that were susequently torn apart in the threads that proceeded it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fiona_b

No need! fl4gg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its quicker than saying FF and Fg, !

If speed is your concern, why not abbreviate every word?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

banie01 wrote: »
    Imagine working in a car plant in the UK, that relies on JiT parts arriving tarrif and duty free to an exact schedule?
    And voting leave because somehow WTO rules will make your job more secure?

It's not planned to have tariffs on car components in the UK, but even if it was then freeports could be used.

But do remember that a lot of components come from China and Japan anyway so these will positively benefit and can be supplied on a JIT basis to car plants.

look at what we have as taoiseach, he doesnt seem himself as someone to get things done, he see's himself as a celebrity!

• Advertisement

I don't feel he is a mad Nazi or anything like that, not wanting to be part of a trade agreement is hardly a crime.

Farage has said many times that he's happy to be part of a trade agreement but not a political union or agreement designed to lead to this.

He believes in free and fair trade between sovereign nations. It appears that many others do not.

alastair wrote: »
    Thatcher, for all her despicable policies, was pretty straightforward. She generally didn’t bother lying.

Farage is a skilled and effective liar though - in the Steve Bannon mode.

Bercow was (and is) a liar.

Farage has said many times that he's happy to be part of a trade agreement but not a political union or agreement designed to lead to this.

He believes in free and fair trade between sovereign nations. It appears that many others do not.

If you convince many others that the necessary political and administrative processes that go along with trade arrangements are some evil force trying to subvert nation states, then you get a surge of opinion against those institutions. Free and fair trade is not just commerce, it is politics well. Trump and China should show you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

quote="Princess Consuela Bananahammock;112552101"]Gonna stop you right there - he did not put his country first. He was motivated by selfishness, greed and xenophobia and lied to his country in order to get what he wanted and was quiet happy to risk the chaos it may well have caused for his country as it was very unlikely to affect him personally.

That;s not putting your country first.

Anyway - we put all this garbage behind us with the recent results of the geenral election and the wildly incompetnent pro-nationalist arguments (and by "arguments" I mean lies as some of the advocates were caught red handed) that were susequently torn apart in the threads that proceeded it.[/quote]

Well a liar or not it's funny how people tended to vote. On brexit. Lieing and paying heed to a liar are two totally different things. Ya have your own mind and can read through the ****e. I put a lot more faith in the publics intelligence than a lot of people on here.
    People are angry with establishments in the western world and I reckon will vote to stir ****e either way. Lots of anger out there. Status qoe and not upsetting the apple cart does not mean everyone ends up benefiting from it. Go with he flow types are usually the beneficiaries. Trump, Boris and now sinn Fein. If your an ignorant egit and put it down to the public being thick well I'd say ya want to look in the mirror. Most work hard and see no benefit. Yet were told we're so privileged. It tends to piss you off.
    Do we need a man like this. No but we don't need yes men either thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,492 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well a liar or not it's funny how people tended to vote. On brexit. Lieing and paying heed to a liar are two totally different things. Ya have your own mind and can read through the ****e. I put a lot more faith in the publics intelligence than a lot of people on here.
    People are angry with establishments in the western world and I reckon will vote to stir ****e either way. Lots of anger out there. Status qoe and not upsetting the apple cart does not mean everyone ends up benefiting from it. Go with he flow types are usually the beneficiaries. Trump, Boris and now sinn Fein. If your an ignorant egit and put it down to the public being thick well I'd say ya want to look in the mirror. Most work hard and see no benefit. Yet were told we're so privileged. It tends to piss you off.
    Do we need a man like this. No but we don't need yes men either thank you.

Maybe true, but nothing there reflects a need for Farage in Ireland.

There is a lot of anger out there, but none of it is being diverted at Europe or immigration. Not at the ballot box anyway.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

If speed is your concern, why not abbreviate every word?

Ppl h8 dt sht tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The UK didn't need a Nigel Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

kowloon wrote: »
    The UK didn't need a Nigel Farage.

The moon could use one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Maybe true, but nothing there reflects a need for Farage in Ireland.

There is a lot of anger out there, but none of it is being diverted at Europe or immigration. Not at the ballot box anyway.

How would you direct it at Europe or immigration anyways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

In fairness he is a politician, they do doo that.

They do though, don't they though?

Advertisement