Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland Need A Nigel Farage?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,492 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How would you direct it at Europe or immigration anyways?

Voting for parties with said policies, bviously.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

It could be a hunch. But it was informed by the necessity to reverse the result of the first Lisbon referendum. Your contention is that that all the other states would reverse their ratification of treaties, if Ireland (as the only member needing a referendum) voted them down. Instead of that, we were invited to to reverse our decision. You come from a standpoint of wanting Ireland to reject all future treaties.
    Of course I do. The EU would only have a future treaty if it wanted to take more control from member states. My position is that the EU already has too much power over member states so why would I advocate Ireland giving away more control to the EU? If they said that they wanted to hand powers back however I'd be all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A farage.

The absolute idiots idea of a smart man.

He's the type of fella who would sell you down the river to make a quick buck. As I said he's the idiots idea of a smart man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Voting for parties with said policies, bviously.

What parties had said policies. Lookit. People talk all options. Realistically there is no option only virtually the same. Politics in Ireland is so entwined with the EU now it's not possible for difference. And FFS don't name some party that wasn't even campaigning or bat**** crazy or very low profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

splashuum wrote: »
    Nigel Farage was one of the main catalysts behind the Brexit campaign and has always put his country first. He was the voice of the people and powered through until the bitter end to give the people what they wanted.
    Coming from a business background he brings something different to the table compared to your average politician. His huge popularity and achievements have been recognised and is now a hot favourite to be knighted next year.

When I look at the politicians in Ireland I fail to think of any great orators, nobody who can captivate an audience. There's a huge demand for someone is unafraid of the establishment and is not afraid to speak out on common sense issues. So many of our previous politicians have sold the Irish out over the years and our very recent election proved much of nation are sick of the old guard.

Catch yourself on, Farage is a complete and utter tube. Buck eejit that man.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    We already have a guy, Hermann Kelly of the Irexit lobby.

Old school colleague of mine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Kelly

You were around for the McQuillan years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Can a member state reject treaties ratified by all the other member states, and still remain a member of the EU

Yes or No.
    France rejected the treaty on the constitution of the eu. Still a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

France rejected the treaty on the constitution of the eu. Still a member.

Well we've no balls obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,492 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What parties had said policies. Lookit. People talk all options. Realistically there is no option only virtually the same. Politics in Ireland is so entwined with the EU now it's not possible for difference. And FFS don't name some party that wasn't even campaigning or bat**** crazy or very low profile.

And why is this? What dd you do to earn options?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Lisbon:

The UK government wants it so they pass it.
    The Irish government wants it but have to give it to the people. The people deal with a campaign where No is saying things like the minimum wage will be a euro thirty and we will be conscripted into an EU army. We get promises that this is not the case and it passed the second time.

Brexiteers who relentlessly moan about Lisbon should not be focusing on Ireland. They should be focusing on the UK not giving its people a vote. Brexiteers who bang on about Project Fear would do well to see the real Project Fear was the No side in the Lisbon referendum. It was a stupid referendum and I don't see why Irish people on this forum claim Ireland does them well. We had to have promises made that the pile of shlte made up by Eurosceptics was in fact a pile of shlte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

NIMAN wrote: »
    We already have a guy, Hermann Kelly of the Irexit lobby.

Old school colleague of mine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Kelly

Herman the German. Was press officer for UKIP/Brexit Party's grouping in the European Parliament so he probably knows the real Farage quite well.

They ran several candidates in the last election (Irish Freedom Party). The best of them got about one tenth of the votes needed for a quota!!

Not much call for this sort of thing round here, it would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rn

Guys like farage are only interested in themselves. They crave power and success for themselves and realise being higher in society, means more success and money for them. They see their path to the throne is by burning the kingdom. They don't really care if Joe and Josephine blogs on the street has a better life, as long as Joe blogs thinks farage like lads are solving problems that joe/Josephine perceives as theirs, but aren't really the biggest problems at all for society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Lisbon:

The UK government wants it so they pass it.
    The Irish government wants it but have to give it to the people. The people deal with a campaign where No is saying things like the minimum wage will be a euro thirty and we will be conscripted into an EU army. We get promises that this is not the case and it passed the second time.

Brexiteers who relentlessly moan about Lisbon should not be focusing on Ireland. They should be focusing on the UK not giving its people a vote. Brexiteers who bang on about Project Fear would do well to see the real Project Fear was the No side in the Lisbon referendum. It was a stupid referendum and I don't see why Irish people on this forum claim Ireland does them well. We had to have promises made that the pile of shlte made up by Eurosceptics was in fact a pile of shlte.

I referred to the Lisbon Treaty in response to another poster saying that if a country rejects a treaty change.they would be forced to leave the EU. I don't see any evidence of that.

My post wasn't moaning. It was leaning on a historical event to make an argument. Perhaps you could re-read my posts before claiming it was moaning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

No wonder he always looks like he's laughing at someone.

He brings a different brand of jocularity to the table, that of a laughing stock with zero self-awareness.

"Great orator" if you filter it through twelve pints of bitter.

While I disagree with his politics, he is objectively a great orator. His EU speech where he criticises Van Rompuy is excellent, and has a lot of truth to it too.

No. Apart from Boris Johnson, there isn't a current British politician who has lied more than Farage.

Jeremy "my party doesn't have an anti semitism problem" Corbyn. I'd take Farage over that arrogant weasel any day of the week.

rn wrote: »
    Guys like farage are only interested in themselves. They crave power and success for themselves and realise being higher in society, means more success and money for them. They see their path to the throne is by burning the kingdom. They don't really care if Joe and Josephine blogs on the street has a better life, as long as Joe blogs thinks farage like lads are solving problems that joe/Josephine perceives as theirs, but aren't really the biggest problems at all for society.

That describes pretty much every modern politician.

We do have options here. A left leaning (yes even "neo liberal" FG is left leaning with our super generous welfare state even when bankrupt) or super radical lets turn Ireland into Venezuela left, the likes of PBP and Solidarity, or lets actually be Venezuela, we already have the policies and the private army to back it up Sinn Fein.

Super generous welfare in that that recently elected Clare TD might actually be worse off on a 96k TD salary. Why welfare isn't capped at 30k including all ancillary benefits boggles my mind.

Or some Independents, which TBH are the best option for most people.

But sure look over there... the Far Right are the biggest problem we have in Ireland today.

In a more general note, lots of people when the thread title is something like "What do you think of Mr X" say he is the dumb person's intellectual and leave that as a response, virtue signalling what a great intellect they are to see through this person, but don't provide a single shred of supporting evidence, thus proving it is they who are the pseudo intellectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Nigel Farage was one of the main catalysts behind the Brexit campaign and has always put his country first. He was the voice of the people and powered through until the bitter end to give the people what they wanted.
    Coming from a business background he brings something different to the table compared to your average politician. His huge popularity and achievements have been recognised and is now a hot favourite to be knighted next year.

When I look at the politicians in Ireland I fail to think of any great orators, nobody who can captivate an audience. There's a huge demand for someone is unafraid of the establishment and is not afraid to speak out on common sense issues. So many of our previous politicians have sold the Irish out over the years and our very recent election proved much of nation are sick of the old guard.

Change for the sake of change is not good. How will that change be for that betterment of all is more important. The likes of the SF just say what people want to hear even more than the centrist governments we have. There is no real costing and the cost to the economy would be large. No we dont need another dog barking in the manger

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

In a more general note, lots of people when the thread title is something like "What do you think of Mr X" say he is the dumb person's intellectual and leave that as a response, virtue signalling what a great intellect they are to see through this person, but don't provide a single shred of supporting evidence, thus proving it is they who are the pseudo intellectual.

You may want to brush up on your grammar. I genuinely got a headache attempting to read that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭blackbox

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

You may want to brush up on your grammar. I genuinely got a headache attempting to read that.

No you didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Jeremy "my party doesn't have an anti semitism problem" Corbyn. I'd take Farage over that arrogant weasel any day of the week.

I couldn't disagree more. I blame Corbyn for Brexit and Johnson's majority but Corbyn has integrity. Farage is a snake oil salesman and a consummate liar.

Advertisement