Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do we permanently reduce the number of politicans in Ireland?

Options
  • 15-02-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Having posted a comment about reducing the numbers in a different thread, it got me thinking, how do we actually do this?

In my view, we've too many politicans, be it TDs, Senators or Councillors. The ratio of TDs to population here is far lower than it is in the UK, or quite a few other European counties.

I think if we could half the numbers, we'd :

Half the delays and procrastinating,

Half horsh1te, nonsense and scams,

Half the cost,

And make it a lot easier to keep the rest of them under the microscope.

By cleaning up our political system, making it more efficient and capable, we would then attract better people into it.

Do, what are peoples thoughts and how might we go about it?

At the moment, it seems to me that you'd have to rely on the politicans to implement the idea and that's never going to happen given it doesn't serve their own interests.

Thanks,

G.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Change the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not without constitutional amendment as the ratio of TD to electorate is laid out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Having posted a comment about reducing the numbers in a different thread, it got me thinking, how do we actually do this?

In my view, we've too many politicans, be it TDs, Senators or Councillors. The ratio of TDs to population here is far lower than it is in the UK, or quite a few other European counties.

I think if we could half the numbers, we'd :

Half the delays and procrastinating,

Half horsh1te, nonsense and scams,

Half the cost,

And make it a lot easier to keep the rest of them under the microscope.

By cleaning up our political system, making it more efficient and capable, we would then attract better people into it.

Do, what are peoples thoughts and how might we go about it?

At the moment, it seems to me that you'd have to rely on the politicans to implement the idea and that's never going to happen given it doesn't serve their own interests.

Referendum.

The formula is laid out in the Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Referendum. It's fixed in our constitution. According to it, we should have between 161 to 241 TD's. At the moment we have less than the minimum based on our population.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You have to change the Constitution. Since it seems to be the government that controls the referendums then you have two chances of this happening, none and sfa!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Less td's so less representative of the voters. Dictatorship is ok once it's you're views being dictated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

We had a referendum on the existence of the Seanad a few years ago. Our electorate decided to vote to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

You have to change the Constitution. Since it seems to be the government that controls the referendums then you have two chances of this happening, none and sfa!

That's how I see it, the politicans aren't going to propose something that's not in their own best interest.

Thanks,

G.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    We had a referendum on the existence of the Seanad a few years ago. Our electorate decided to vote to keep it.

Sure,

But that's not the same thing - I'm not saying get rid of it, or the Dail, I just want to cut the numbers as we've too many wasters and dossiers who do nothing for us, but cost is a fortune (both directly and indirectly)

Thanks,

G.

Peatys wrote: »
    Less td's so less representative of the voters. Dictatorship is ok once it's you're views being dictated.

I'm not suggesting a dictatorship,

Everyone still gets a vote

Anyone eligible to stand as a TD, Councillor etc still does so. The good ones get elected, but we also get rid of some of the ejits and sheisters

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

Sure,

But that's not the same thing - I'm not saying get rid of it, or the Dail, I just want to cut the numbers as we've too many wasters and dossiers who do nothing for us, but cost is a fortune (both directly and indirectly)

Well that’s being answered by a couple of different posters. The decision to keep the Seanad (which I found shocking) suggests there is little public will for what you propose.

Well that’s being answered by a couple of different posters. The decision to keep the Seanad (which I found shocking) suggests there is little public will for what you propose.

I strongly disagree.

Getting rid of something is very different to improving it, making it more effective, efficient, fit for purpose etc.

Thanks,

G.

I strongly disagree.

Getting rid of something is very different to improving it, making it more effective, efficient, fit for purpose etc.

Make an argument why reducing the amount of TDS improves the value of the national parliament. If it was me I’d compare our population to our amount of elected reps and see if it’s in or out of line proportionally with other countries.

. If it was me I’d compare our population to our amount of elected reps and see if it’s in or out of line proportionally with other countries.

Second paragraph of my opening post :-)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We could keep it as it was or get rid of it and hand more power to the dail, neither being what people actually wanted. The real solution was an elected* second house of government that wasn't just a pension generator for those who didn't make it into the Dail.

*as opposed to the archaic system they have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's how I see it, the politicans aren't going to propose something that's not in their own best interest.
    They can propose it, but we wouldn't vote for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It was done already, when the local positions were abolished. Down from around 1,600 politicians in the country to around 1,100 now. And the people refused the chance to abolish the Senate. If they were all done away with, how much better off would we be?

For such cushy numbers, only 516 put themselves up for 160 jobs. And in the local elections you had a better than 50% chance of getting to be a County Councillor. Another cushy number. Why are there not tens of thousands looking to get such handy jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The people voted for more politicians in the Seanad referendum. I couldn’t believe it at the time. Ah but the bleedin gubberment wants it so it must be a bad thing is the feeling I got at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was done already, when the local positions were abolished. Down from around 1,600 politicians in the country to around 1,100 now. And the people refused the chance to abolish the Senate. If they were all done away with, how much better off would we be?

For such cushy numbers, only 516 put themselves up for 160 jobs. And in the local elections you had a better than 50% chance of getting to be a County Councillor. Another cushy number. Why are there not tens of thousands looking to get such handy jobs?
    Seanad campaign was all about the money and never did explain what better things we'd get instead of it.

I strongly disagree.

Second paragraph of my opening post :-)

Here’s the rest of the data - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legislatures_by_number_of_members

If I felt strongly enough I would open a petition online and write to TDs, newspapers, Relevant state bodies outlining the arguments for a reduced amount of TDs and see where that takes you.

I don’t know what number of petition signatures you’d need to force the matter to be brought up in the dail or out to a referendum.

I personally think the vote to keep the Seanad is a large blow to your argument but you disagree and that’s fine.

• Advertisement

Reduced numbers and a much higher salary would attract better talent. Like those leaders of private industry who would have to take a 95% cut in their salaries to become a TD now.

I am thinking of the likes of the top brass in betting companies. They have the know how to separate people from large amounts of their hard earned. Whereas the politicians we have could not even collect a small charge for water from the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

So the latest galaxy brain idea is we're trying to get executives from one of the scummiest industries outside of pushing heroin to children to run the country. Boards truly has it all.

God bless freedom of speech. You wouldn't have any idea what unsaid crackpot ideas do be rattling around some Irish people's skulls without this forum.

It's frightening, I could be sitting next to this person in a dentist's waiting room or a train, and I wouldn't have a clue. Although the dribble on his chin might give it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Peatys wrote: »

Wrong, look at the population of New Zealand, similar to here but they only have 120 MPs (TDs).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It was done already, when the local positions were abolished. Down from around 1,600 politicians in the country to around 1,100 now.

Yes, cut by hundreds to 949.

We used to have 114 councils, now we have 31.

Massive cut in the number of local governments.

All 75 town councils abolished.

All 5 borough councils abolished.

114 - 80 = 34.

Then two Tipps merged, WD city and county merged, LK city and county merged.

So now just 31 local authorities.

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, cut by hundreds to 949.

We used to have 114 councils, now we have 31.

Massive cut in the number of local governments.

All 75 town councils abolished.

All 5 borough councils abolished.

114 - 80 = 34.

Then two Tipps merged, WD city and county merged, LK city and county merged.

So now just 31 local authorities.

And in the Local Elections last year, 1,979 candidates put themselves forward for those 949 jobs. I think the wages for those jobs should be increased significantly to attract more and better talent. It's worth a shot, and it works in other areas of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

But if we abolished the Senate where would such talent as Noel Rock go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

But if we abolished the Senate where would such talent as Noel Rock go?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

I voted to keep the Seanad as I think we need an upper house but I think the idea of reducing the number of TD’s is a great one.

As well as the cost factor if we had less TDs they could be kept busy and they could concentrate on running the country and not fixing potholes outside someone’s house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

I'm not suggesting a dictatorship,

Everyone still gets a vote

Anyone eligible to stand as a TD, Councillor etc still does so. The good ones get elected, but we also get rid of some of the ejits and sheisters

The eejits and shysters are normally the first past the post. We could end up with a Dail with nothing but them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,044 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a significant reduction in the number of Councillors in 2014 as it stands. TD numbers are set proportional to population. Seanad numbers have not grown for 80 years.

Your idea that the UK has less is likely ignoring all lower levels of local government in the UK.

Advertisement