Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost pension

• 15-02-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Was paying into a company pension plan for about four years .Changed jobs .Not huge money but could do with it now .Tried to follow it up a few times over the past few years but the company handling it said it had gone into an Irish life investment fund .They couldnt find it .had no records .Different people were dealing with it but they must have left the company as emails not being received .How should I follow this up .This is from back in 2004 to 2008 .Silly of me to let it lapse but when I didnt need it I assumed it was there and making a bit of interest .Thanks for reading .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

cityboyjim wrote: »
    Was paying into a company pension plan for about four years .Changed jobs .Not huge money but could do with it now .Tried to follow it up a few times over the past few years but the company handling it said it had gone into an Irish life investment fund .They couldnt find it .had no records .Different people were dealing with it but they must have left the company as emails not being received .How should I follow this up .This is from back in 2004 to 2008 .Silly of me to let it lapse but when I didnt need it I assumed it was there and making a bit of interest .Thanks for reading .

Contact the pensions authority or the pension tracing service perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Thank you for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Depending on the size of the pension scheme ie how many members were/are in it. It may have been audited and there would be a paper trail of those audits and therefore, you should be listed as a member and the transactions that occurred with your pension should be recorded. Failing that as the poster above said get onto the pension authority.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

When was your last annual benefit statement? Should be easy to trace it from that.

I know this is strange but I never actually got a statement .When I started to check it out I was just told it had been transferred to Irish Life but no trace when I contacted them .Its somewhere but where is the question .Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Contact Irish Life, they will be able to find it using your name and DOB along with your old employers name

I did that twice actually .But now going to follow it up vigorously

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Cityboyjim... I'm quite sure your not on your own a lot of people might stay a few years in jobs with pension schemes & some may contribute extra into fund offered by the company while they are there but it is a Company scheme & the company are the only people who can deal with Pension Fund Company... you receive no correspondence on how scheme is doing from Pension Fund (or at least it used to be that way?) keep annoying pension company for details they won't make it easy.. I'm speaking from bitter experience you won't be able to access it before retirement age but It's your money both what has been paid by firm you worked for & any contributions you have made don't lose it!.. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Saudades

cityboyjim wrote: »
    Was paying into a company pension plan for about four years .Changed jobs .Not huge money but could do with it now .

If it's a Defined Contribution pension, you likely won't be allowed to access it until you are at least 50.

But you can transfer it into a new pension if your new employer has also setup a Defined Contribution pension for you.

Well the far side of 50 now sad to say and have a private pension which did terrible so need to tidy things up .Not even sure how much is in this thing to be honest but no more than a few thousand but going to follow it up .Thanks for the advise guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement