Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caroline Flack found dead

1293031323335»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Raconteuse wrote: »
    A woman I was friendly with died of spinal cancer in 2017 after not much time following diagnosis (about a year). She was 35 - two small children and husband (widower at 39) left behind.

I remember her saying just before her 35th birthday that she would have been disgusted at the thought of turning 35 a year beforehand, but after her diagnosis she was downright thrilled to get to another birthday, and would give anything to see all the birthdays most people her age will experience, and that growing old is a privilege.

I give suicidal people or people seeking a "mercy killing" a free pass in relation to themselves because their minds aren't in a rational place due to psychological or physical pain (or both) but "well they had a good life so 40 isn't too bad" will never be anything other than hugely poor taste imo.

If you think it in relation to yourself, I don't agree with such thoughts, however you're entitled to feel that way about yourself. But don't project. It's not ok to say it's the case for others.

If someone kills themselves, I generally don't judge them (some suicides are cowardly, like those of war criminals) but I'll never think it's not sad for a good person to end their life.

Yes. Thank you. All of this.

Growing old is a privilege. I swear the people who say 40 or 50 is a good innings are probably the same folks who tell dying people “Ah sure you have to go sometime” or “Any of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow”. Oh great, now I’m not worried about those cancer cells marauding around my body. They often seem to think this is profound too. Awfully pleased with themselves. Am, yeah, we all die but most people want to live to the life expectancy of their country first. And we should try and see if we can help people who say that they don’t want to rather than shrugging our shoulders.

I only judge suicide victims if they take others with them though. I always feel compassion if it’s just them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yes. Thank you. All of this.

Growing old is a privilege. I swear the people who say 40 or 50 is a good innings are probably the same folks who tell dying people “Ah sure you have to go sometime” or “Any of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow”. Oh great, now I’m not worried about those cancer cells marauding around my body. They often seem to think this is profound too. Awfully pleased with themselves. Am, yeah, we all die but most people want to live to the life expectancy of their country first. And we should try and see if we can help people who say that they don’t want to rather than shrugging our shoulders.
    It's absolutely bewildering. Maybe it's some form of coping mechanism for themselves, I dunno.

What if someone is murdered? Is that a case of "We all gotta go some time"? And if not, why not?

Have people said in this thread that people of a certain age dying is no big deal because they've lived a long life?

Have people said in this thread that people of a certain age dying is no big deal because they've lived a long life?
    The poster Greta's gonna get ya! did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Has anyone seriously suggested it then? :pac:

(I know, I know, you have a point, but I wouldn’t take anything that poster said seriously. It was like something I’d hear from a navel gazing teenager who imagines nobody has ever heard it before :rolleyes:)

I read back. These discussions do tie me up in knots.

Ah ok. Greta did indeed imply that it was no big deal for a 40 yr old woman to end her life since she had 40 good years. Which is speculation because we don't actually know anything about Caroline Flack and her experiences.

No. That's not my view at all. I've explained mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Nobody brought it up in this thread, thankfully. A life taken too soon (no matter what the circumstances) is horrible.

Sadly- that's not the case in every situation.

I remember years back, one of my aunts got breast cancer. She was in her 50s at the time.
    Well, as you can imagine, it was a horrible situation.
    My cousin, one of her daughters, was out getting groceries to take home to her mum. (Her dad was busy driving his wife to treatment, and with work, so they needed help from extended family.)

Anyways, on one shopping trip, she bumped into someone who was an acquaintance of the family.
    She enquired about my aunt, asked if the diagnosis of cancer was true, then followed up with 'How old is your mother?' When given the answer, the acquaintance responded 'Well, I suppose she's lived long enough'.

Needless to say, my cousin lost her cool there and then.
    Some people can be horrible.

Nobody brought it up in this thread, thankfully
    One poster did though. Repeatedly. Said 40 isn't too bad if you've had a good life. That 40 is "slightly younger" than the average life expectancy. Yes, half = "slightly younger".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

One poster did though. Repeatedly. Said 40 isn't too bad if you've had a good life. That 40 is "slightly younger" than the average life expectancy. Yes, half = "slightly younger".

Ah, that's rough. There's this odd thing that I've noticed people doing in recent times-thinking that if someone died young, but had a life of adventure, then it wasn't a life wasted. (The example used was The Crocodile hunter, Steve Irwin).

They then say 'would you rather 40 + years of amazing adventures, or 100 years of a boring life'... and am I the only one sitting here like 'Uh...100 please and thanks'.

Plus we see children die of cancer every goddamn year-they never truly got to experience life.Not fully.

Advertisement