Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caroline Flack found dead

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

How do you know this? There hasn't even been a trial. The injured party retracted his story and refused to press charges.

Is Caroline not presumed innocent until proven otherwise?

Allegedly. my apologies. In my defence if you read my first post in the thread i have defended her right to anonymity until trial over and guilt found.

Im merely playing devils advocate with the poster comparing her act to ant mcpartands act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

ollym1 wrote: »
    Did she give him a brain injury...this is gas reading all this hypothetical rubbish against clear facts.

By this measure the child didnt die so that was not an important incident. You're highly pathetic rubbish yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Kinda shocked. She seemed fairly sound. Social media and the red tops have a lot to answer for. ****ing rat leeches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

NIMAN wrote: »
    You were wrong, admit it.

Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I have to say that I am struggling to believe that people haven't heard of her.

Fair enough, I'd be surprised if most people followed her career but the incident with the lamp was headline news for weeks.

Honestly don’t remember it at all. Maybe I didn’t watch the news that week? If I saw it online I would have just scrolled passed as I’d never heard of them so wouldn’t have been interested in reading the article.

Shes a 5 foot woman, hitting a 6 foot man with a lamp while he was asleep. Im not sure how hard she hit him since he phoned the police and was photographed two days later walking around getting papped and not a bandage on his head or visible bruising..

Are you actually serious!
    What difference does it make how tall they are???

She hit a sleeping person across the head with a hard object, do you know what the lamp was made from?
    You do know that every year people die because they hit their heads off of hard objects?
    You say you are not making apologies for her, but you clearly are!

Jaysis, it didn't deserve someone to commit suicide over it, but let's not belittle domestic violence or assaults!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Caroline was named and shamed, same as Paddy Jackson. There were plenty on here who were protesting his innocence before and during his trial, so should Caroline not be afforded the same right? Being charged with a crime does not automatically make you guilty of it, yet she has already been found guilty throughout this thread.

That, my friend, is a double standard, only this time, the accused will never get their day in court to defend themselves.

People have referred to and described the assault off the back of the police prosecution and the victims own statement. They haven't picked it from thin air! No one said she was guilty. But... she was being charged with assaulting her sleeping boyfriend by smashing a lamp over his head! That is an undeniable fact. Whether or not she would have been found guilty or not we'll never know. As you rightly said she didn't get her day in court to clear her name.... But dont make it out that that was denied to her. She chose not to have her day in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I see nuanced difference to both cases. maybe its just me.

seems to be a lot of people in this this thread who are missing nuance,

Did she give him a brain injury...this is gas reading all this hypothetical rubbish against clear facts.

So if someone hits you across the head with an object made of whatever, it won't really matter if you don't have a brain injury?

Especially if they do it when you are asleep!

For me hitting a car with a child in it is far more serious.

Shes a 5 foot woman, hitting a 6 foot man with a lamp while he was asleep. Im not sure how hard she hit him since he phoned the police and was photographed two days later walking around getting papped and not a bandage on his head or visible bruising.

The actual blood and hospital attention was to Caroline herself who got cut badly during the incident.

Im not attempting to exonerate Caroline but lets just put things in perspective here. It seems to me if a man hit a sleeping woman with a lamp (probably wouldn't have to wait until sleeping since a big bloke would have nothing to fear) Im fairly sure she wouldn't have been in a position to call the cops or walk anywhere the next few days.

Just for the record any kind of violence is bad, male or female but you're the one reversing the roles so lets look at all aspects of such an incident to get a clear picture.

5 foot or not 5 foot hitting someone over the head with a lamp could have caused a brain injury. Its a particularly nasty and cowardly thing to do.

The CSP obviously thought what she did was serious enough to go ahead with the prosecution even though the boyfriend didn't want to proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

I'm finding this so hard to get my head around. I've always loved Caroline.
    I've always admired the fact she was doing what she wanted and not doing what tradition told her to do.
    I seen an interview with her before where she said she never had the gene to want to settle down and I've always been the very same so admired her for that.
    I will honestly miss her and her instagram posts, her fab dresses, gorgeous hair and her laugh x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

bubblypop wrote: »
    Are you actually serious!
    What difference does it make how tall they are???

She hit a sleeping person across the head with a hard object, do you know what the lamp was made from?
    You do know that every year people die because they hit their heads off of hard objects?
    You say you are not making apologies for her, but you clearly are!

Jaysis, it didn't deserve someone to commit suicide over it, but let's not belittle domestic violence or assaults!

Proof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Actually, they aren't facts. They are allegations. He told the police that she attacked him with a lamp. It was never confirmed that that was a fact. It was an allegation. There's a difference.

That said, I don't doubt that she attacked him with a lamp but they aren't facts until there is a judgement handed down by the court. At this stage they are only allegations. And unfortunately that's what they'll stay now that Ms. Flack has taken matters into her own hands.

She was being charged with assault. That is a fact.

The victim told police/999 he was attacked in his sleep. That is a fact.

Those two things happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

How do you know this? There hasn't even been a trial. The injured party retracted his story and refused to press charges.

Is Caroline not presumed innocent until proven otherwise?

Her boyfriend pulled the charges but the trial was still going ahead which meant that the CPS had enough evidence to prosecute her. Her boyfriend’s emergency call transcript was released. Her ex fiancé has spoken out in depth of the physical abuse he endured at her hands. I think it’s naive and disingenuous to say that she may be innocent.

Because she has killed herself doesn’t mean the media were wrong to report on what she did, nor does it mean she shouldn’t have been publicly slated for what she did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Philip Kind Smokehouse

eviltwin wrote: »
    How depressing that her entire life is reduced to this one incident with a former partner.

her ex from a year ago begs to differ

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7821117/Caroline-Flacks-ex-fianc-Andrew-Brady-shares-lengthy-Instagram-post-year-recovery.html

I'm finding this so hard to get my head around. I've always loved Caroline.
    I've always admired the fact she was doing what she wanted and not doing what tradition told her to do.
    I seen an interview with her before where she said she never had the gene to want to settle down and I've always been the very same so admired her for that.
    I will honestly miss her and her instagram posts, her fab dresses, gorgeous hair and her laugh x

True she had a great laugh. Seemed like she would be good fun to be around.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

She had a relationship with one of the one D lads aswell when he was barely legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Her boyfriend pulled the charges but the trial was still going ahead which meant that the CPS had enough evidence to prosecute her. Her boyfriend’s emergency call transcript was released. Her ex fiancé has spoken out in depth of the physical abuse he endured at her hands. I think it’s naive and disingenuous to say that she may be innocent.

Because she has killed herself doesn’t mean the media were wrong to report on what she did, nor does it mean she shouldn’t have been publicly slated for what she did.

She's been slated enough in here alright.

Anyway, I'm out, all this talk of double standards where it comes to presumption of innocence has me seriously questioning what double standards mean to some people.

May the woman rest in peace and may her boyfriend also find peace in the months ahead. Night all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    She was being charged with assault. That is a fact.

The victim told police he was attacked in his sleep. That is a fact.

Those two things happened.

And if I told the police you diddled me when I was a kid, would that make it a fact? No, it wouldn't. It would be an allegation.

He made an allegation against Ms. Flak.

Until a court rules on it, it's just an allegation.

By the way, I don't doubt she did hit him with the lamp, but that still doesn't make it a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I've never watched Love Island, so I only know of Caroline from X-Factor and Strictly Come Dancing. I got a shock when I read the headline.

A young death is always a tragedy and death by suicide is very difficult for the family left behind to cope with (personal experience).

Condolences to Caroline's family, and also to her friends and her boyfriend (ex-boyfriend?) who even with all that has happened will also feel her loss. I'm sure that this was not something he would ever have wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Limpy wrote: »
    She had a relationship with one of the one D lads aswell when he was barely legal.

I didn't believe that for one second.
    The paps got her walking up to his house with a pillow, come on!
    It was clearly a publicity stunt for one or both of them.
    After reading Max Clifford's book years ago, I'd take anything in the media with a pinch of salt.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ladybird18

Shocked and saddened to hear. Such a beautiful vivacious woman. I guess she had hidden demons and nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 23 depcon

Bullied to do this by the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

A beautiful person. So sad, may she RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

NIMAN wrote: »
    I genuinely don't know who she is.

Have to admit. I never heard of her before either.

And if I told the police you diddled me when I was a kid, would that make it a fact? No, it wouldn't. It would be an allegation.

He made an allegation against Ms. Flak.

Until a court rules on it, it's just an allegation.

By the way, I don't doubt she did hit him with the lamp, but that still doesn't make it a fact.

I totally agree with you but I'm not saying what he said was a fact. What I'm saying is factual is he actually said it/rang 999.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Ladybird18 wrote: »
    Shocked and saddened to hear. Such a beautiful vivacious woman. I guess she had hidden demons and nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors. RIP

The sad thing is, I just read she’d been on her own a lot and struggling recently and as someone who also struggles this is a time you need a friend or family member to visit you, not text or think ah they’ll be ok, because posting on the internet that you’re heartbroken after the event is cowardly, if you have a gut feeling something is wrong, act on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

This has come as a bit of a shock. I didn't watch Caroline in anything other then SCD, but of course she was in the media on a regular basis. However - I strongly believe she didn't actually intend to kill herself - more like a cry for help that sadly went too far.

Such a pity, and such a waste of life. I hope she is at peace now. RIEP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

how was she found, was it reported?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Found by her dad apparently :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Found by her father. She took her own life after a friend who was staying with her stepped out to the shops -

Caroline Flack killed herself when worried friend who was staying with her 'popped to the shops': Father of ex-Love Island presenter, 40, found her body in London flat hours after she was told court case for 'assaulting boyfriend' would go ahead

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8007677/Caroline-Flack-dead.html

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Building and basing a life around essentially 'what other people think about you' is a perilous undertaking if it all goes tits up and you turn from Golden Boy/Girl into Whipping Boy for the media and a load of tossers sat in their houses posting and tweeting s**te about you, (none of whom have even met you.)

There are celebs who vanish for a bit then 'get back in' via hosting a radio show some time later, shame this wasn't the outcome here. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Found by her father. She took her own life after a friend who was staying with her stepped out to the shops -

Caroline Flack killed herself when worried friend who was staying with her 'popped to the shops': Father of ex-Love Island presenter, 40, found her body in London flat hours after she was told court case for 'assaulting boyfriend' would go ahead

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8007677/Caroline-Flack-dead.html

Unbelievable disrespect still being shown in that post alone, some people /outlets have no shame.

Unbelievable disrespect still being shown in that post alone, some people /outlets have no shame.

What are you referring to as disrespectful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

dd973 wrote: »
    Building and basing a life around essentially 'what other people think about you' is a perilous undertaking if it all goes tits up and you turn from Golden Boy/Girl into Whipping Boy for the media and a load of tossers sat in their houses posting and tweeting s**te about you, (none of whom have even met you.)

There are celebs who vanish for a bit then 'get back in' via hosting a radio show some time later, shame this wasn't the outcome here. RIP

Its a life that may seem glamouros and exciting on the outside but I'd bet few of them are actually happy. Look at Schofield recently whose life is basically a **** show, I know Davina has had some major personal problems but seems almost addicted to living her life in the public eye.

What are you referring to as disrespectful?

The part that you know I'm referring to which as you are choosing to play games with.

The part that you know I'm referring to which as you are choosing to play games with.

This was your post -

There’s no indication what you’re referring to there as disrespectful? I copied the heading from the Daily Mail. There’s nothing disrespectful with it as far as I could see, that’s why I asked you what you were referring to, because you’re still unclear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Worshipping at the alter of idolatry

This was your post -

There’s no indication what you’re referring to there as disrespectful? I copied the heading from the Daily Mail. There’s nothing disrespectful with it as far as I could see, that’s why I asked you what you were referring to, because you’re still unclear about it.

Click the link and you're common sense should hopefully prevail, I posted the link so I didn't have to author an entirely new article.

• Advertisement

Click the link and you're common sense should hopefully prevail, I posted the link so I didn't have to author an entirely new article.

I’m honestly not going to waste any more time trying to figure out what you think is disrespectful about my post, it could be fcuking anything for all I know, and to be honest having asked politely once, I couldn’t care less now what you think is or isn’t ‘respectful’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This is an awful thing to have happen to anyone regardless of whether they are famous or not. I can’t fathom how Caroline flacks family and friends are feeling. I just can’t.

Hopefully this awful event might focus peoples minds on the drawbacks of social media(there are positives to it don’t get me wrong) and the cancel culture. I mean IMO social media has given the gob****es and pond scum who in the past had to put effort into talking ****e can do it on Twitter in an instant. I mean in the year 2000 if you had an issue with someone you had to put effort into it and most likely do it face to face.

And may she rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

ShagNastii wrote: »
    It’s hardly surprising given who it is but The Sun have been deleting all their negative stories relating to Caroline Flack from their website. Utter scum.

What was the story that they posted yesterday. I've heard other media outlets having a go at them (ironically Sky, given what happened with SweepyFace), for something about a Valentine's card, but I can't find it anywhere.

What did The Sun exactly say about her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Leaving aside the obvious tragedy, the outpouring of vapid platitudes from the celeb circuit on twitter would make you sick. Our own Maura Higgins with the "thoughts and prayers" tweet, why even bother if that's all you have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Leaving aside the obvious tragedy, the outpouring of vapid platitudes from the celeb circuit on twitter would make you sick. Our own Maura Higgins with the "thoughts and prayers" tweet, why even bother if that's all you have to say.

Because fools always have something to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

. Many people die each day but what makes this one so unique
    The scum media (sun and daily muck) targeted her and bullied her.

Time for the media to have serious controls brought in.

Independent group here are going down the same scum path.

I’m honestly not going to waste any more time trying to figure out what you think is disrespectful about my post, it could be fcuking anything for all I know, and to be honest having asked politely once, I couldn’t care less now what you think is or isn’t ‘respectful’.

I didn't once say anything was disrespectful about any of your posts sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just looking at some of the puke being posted on twitter by tabloid journalists and commentators claiming Caroline was a "friend" and wringing their hands about the awfulness of it all, tempts me greatly to hop on an overnight sail/rail to London and beat them to extinction using their own cheap shoes.

Also ITV needs to be shut down until its senior management prove they are to be trusted with grown-up decision making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Just looking at some of the puke being posted on twitter by tabloid journalists and commentators claiming Caroline was a "friend" and wringing their hands about the awfulness of it all, tempts me greatly to hop on an overnight sail/rail to London and beat them to extinction using their own cheap shoes.

Also ITV needs to be shut down until its senior management prove they are to be trusted with grown-up decision making.

she took a lot of flack for cheating on her hubby with Harry styles

• Advertisement

Am I missing something here? She allegedly assaulted her boyfriend who later dropped charges and still loved her. She lost her job and had a court case coming up. Media posted negative stuff about her.

No doubt it’s a tough few weeks but a bit extreme to kill yourself over. It would have blown over and she easily would have rebuilt her career. Part of been in the public eye. Maybe a lot of mental health issues?

Just a shame, so sad. I always really liked her as well.

Advertisement