Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caroline Flack found dead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Am I missing something here? She allegedly assaulted her boyfriend who later dropped charges and still loved her. She lost her job and had a court case coming up. Media posted negative stuff about her.

No doubt it’s a tough few weeks but a bit extreme to kill yourself over. It would have blown over and she easily would have rebuilt her career. Part of been in the public eye. Maybe a lot of mental health issues?

Just a shame, so sad. I always really liked her as well.

Let's see how you cope when a few million people read alleged stories about you online, true or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Am I missing something here? She allegedly assaulted her boyfriend who later dropped charges and still loved her. She lost her job and had a court case coming up. Media posted negative stuff about her.

No doubt it’s a tough few weeks but a bit extreme to kill yourself over. It would have blown over and she easily would have rebuilt her career. Part of been in the public eye. Maybe a lot of mental health issues?

Just a shame, so sad. I always really liked her as well.

Incident happened over two months ago. The tabloids were running daily stories about her, even in the last day or two, many portraying her in a bad light.

It was well known she had issues with depression and was struggling with this negative coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

On 13th December Caroline was on TV, the day after the UK General Election, a Labour party MP, ripping into Jeremy Corybn for his failures. Then there was a controversy where she had a row with her fellow Labour MP Emily Thornberry which became visceral on live TV.

Later in the day a report came in that Caroline was arrested for having been involved in some argument where police had be called. I though my god this Brexit think is getting completely out of hand. Politicians are now physically fighting with each other, even women. This Brexit think is getting out of hand.

My mistake was that I had confused the Labour MP Caroline Flint with the TV host Caroline Flack (who I'd never heard of).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So from what I'm hearing the pictures of the blood stained mattress is from her self harming.she did also abuse her boyfriend but maybe he'd seen her out of control in recent months and that's why he hesitated to press charges.the thing is that it's not a black and white case. She just looks like someone who may have been bipolar or something.all in all it seems incredibly sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I'm not getting involved in the debate because i know how this feels. "A permanent solution to a temporary problem:. I hope she rests in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

smurgen wrote: »
    So from what I'm hearing the pictures of the blood stained mattress is from her self harming.she did also abuse her boyfriend but maybe he'd seen her out of control in recent months and that's why he hesitated to press charges.the thing is that it's not a black and white case. She just looks like someone who may have been bipolar or something.all in all it seems incredibly sad.

why bipolar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The more I think about it, the less I am inclined to blame the media.

You just have to look at the coverage of the Paddy Jackson rape trial and the endless revelations coming out of it (I know the girl involved went through the mill as well). And what's worse, the amateur law experts on social media who just assumed he was guilty. He had to leave the country to get a playing contract and will never play for Ireland again. Quite the ordeal. Point is: the media will paint a famous person in a bad light if they are accused of breaking the law.

Its 100% an underlying mental health issue with Caroline. Unfortunately, her behaviour became somewhat erratic over the last year.

But thats the thing with suicide- a lot of the time people want to apportion some external factor as blame. There isn't enough discussion about why it is so common, and mental health is still a taboo subject, certainly in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Sad.

No one is really in possession of the full facts around her assault case or indeed the circumstances of her death, but it seemed like she had a lot of issues going on in her personal and professional life and rather than laying the blame with one particular thing, I'd say it was was an accumulation of various problems going on in her life at once.

That said, and I wouldn't be a proponent of blaming the media entirely, but I wonder had this happened 30 years ago, would it have been something she might have been able to work through more privately? I'm sure it's hard to really overcome things or become a better person if people are constantly reminding you of how awful you are and holding up a mirror to the worst moment of your life.

The more I think about it, the less I am inclined to blame the media.

You just have to look at the coverage of the Paddy Jackson rape trial and the endless revelations coming out of it (I know the girl involved went through the mill as well). And what's worse, the amateur law experts on social media who just assumed he was guilty. He had to leave the country to get a playing contract and will never play for Ireland again. Quite the ordeal. Point is: the media will paint a famous person in a bad light if they are accused of breaking the law.

Its 100% an underlying mental health issue with Caroline. Unfortunately, her behaviour became somewhat erratic over the last year.

But thats the thing with suicide- a lot of the time people want to apportion some external factor as blame. There isn't enough discussion about why it is so common, and mental health is still a taboo subject, certainly in Ireland.

sometimes it's a cry for help but unfortunately sometimes the overdose kills before help arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Poor girl. In that moment she decided too do it Something I’ll never be able understand. Just sad for all involved. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

BattleCorp wrote: »
    And if I told the police you diddled me when I was a kid, would that make it a fact? No, it wouldn't. It would be an allegation.

He made an allegation against Ms. Flak.

Until a court rules on it, it's just an allegation.

By the way, I don't doubt she did hit him with the lamp, but that still doesn't make it a fact.

The police also had body cam evidence as well as her admitting what she did.
    You can dress it up anyway you like but she was an abuser.

Christ I think if Jimmy Saville was still around today people would be all RIP and no mention of the vile and depraved things he did.
    My Facebook is full of all these girls going blah blah Caroline but every other day they’re tweeting and sharing out about physical abuse and don’t be silent. So two faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

The same media she thrived in decided to destroy her .. took a stupid domestic incident and multiplied the gravity of it... millennial followers lapped it up cause they don’t think for themselves ... lead to her feeling like she had no Choice ... now the same CNUTs who vilified her will Be the biggest public mourners... sad fukin world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

It's debatable how "stupid" the domestic incident was, if she hit him over the head with a lamp. She was told they were going to go ahead with the prosecution shortly before she died. That suggests they deemed it serious enough to bring to court. She may have felt she was going to get into hot water over what she did too. That implies it wasn't something minor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The media killed her. All of the celebrity obssed gob****es that read that crap aswel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Whether she is guilty of the alleged offences or not, the media have absolutely hounded her for the last two months.
    It has been relentless, the tabloids and gutter press didn’t just report on what she’s been accused of, they targeted her over and over again.

It was borderline harassment the last few weeks, and between the media, the comments under articles, Twitter and the DM’s she was no doubt getting on instagram, is this even surprising? There is only so many abusive comments a person can take.

I’m loathe to agree with Pierse Morgan but the woman had lost everything, privately, publicly, professionally and personally.
    Her career was over.
    She was humiliated and torn to shreds by both the general public and by the press.
    Some might say deservedly so, if she was guilty of what she was accused of.
    But I don’t think what she allegedly did warranted that kind of vicious treatment at all.

I have no issue with any media posting factual, verified news stories.
    I don’t even really have an issue with them publishing what she was accused of, when it initially came to light. But until a trial had taken place, they had no right to persistently target her and repeatedly publish the accusations over and over again for crimes she hadn’t even been found guilty of yet.
    It was a trial by media and there has to be accountability for things like this.

The virtue signalling from the ‘thoughts and prayers’ celebrity crowd has been stomach turning today.
    I saw some of the journalists from The Sun sharing condolence, which is the height of hypocrisy when they’ve practically been running a hate campaign against her the last few months.

It has definitely made me rethink the media I consume, the articles I click on etc. I don’t want to support those vultures in any way and I’m going to try to be more conscious of what I click on.

May the poor woman rest in peace and finally be free from the pain she has been in.
    It’s just really tragic all round for all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Darc19 wrote: »
    The scum media (sun and daily muck) targeted her and bullied her.

Time for the media to have serious controls brought in.

Independent group here are going down the same scum path.

They targeted her cos she attacked her partner. Obviously the end result is tragic but why should she have been let off for the press for what they did?

25 Nov 2018 · STRICTLY favourite Caroline Flack was checked over by paramedics after her ex-fiance called 999 claiming she had threatened to kill herself. ... But last night Caroline, 39, denied saying she would take an overdose. Her camp accused ex-Apprentice contestant Brady

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/3433962/caroline-flacks-ex-fiance-andrew-brady-called-an-ambulance-to-her-home-claiming-she-had-threatened-to-kill-herself/

This is not her first ideation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The media killed her. All of the celebrity obssed gob****es that read that crap aswel.

No she killed herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Was it a big heavy lamp or like a cheapo light thing you'd get in the pound shop? Must buy the star...see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

She killed herself. No matter how scummy the tabloids are - and they really really are - they didn't kill her. When a person takes their own life, there are deeper issues at play. The tabloids certainly contributed to her mental torment but it's an inappropriate apportioning of blame to state they actually killed her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

she must have been under severe distress to do something like that....pending court case and the media attention surrounding it was obviously too much for her to bear

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The media didn’t kill her. She was charged with assault, were they just meant to ignore that fact and pretend it never happened? Having said that, social media has created a level of accessibility where you can literally @whoeveryoulike and abuse them to your hearts content, with a vulnerable person like this, in a situation like that, like this it’s a recipe for disaster.

It’s incredibly sad that this is how her life ended, and I have a genuine pit of stomach sadness that she felt this was her only option. But I think when things like this happen it’s too easy to look for someone to blame. It’s the same with the previous Love Island deaths —tragic and all as they were, clearly issues were already at play there. Reports claim she had slit her wrists the night she was charged with assault, so its clear that perhaps she was on some kind of downward spiral. It’s just incredibly sad that this is how it ended. I say this as someone who was never much of a fan, but I’m genuinely sad today to hear this news. She always came across as someone who seemed so young at heart with a lively spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I cannot understand how there was still a case pending when the boyfriend withdrew cooperation with it. Do they not need the complainant on board to proceed? Had she entered a plea at the preliminary hearing?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I cannot understand how there was still a case pending when the boyfriend withdrew cooperation with it. Do they not need the complainant on board to proceed? Had she entered a plea at the preliminary hearing?

not in a domestic case where many of the victims withdraw their complaint and later die from another related more serious assault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nope, the CPS could still proceed with the case against her in spite of her boyfriend’s wanting them to drop the case - essentially he had no say in how the CPS would conduct a case that they decided was of sufficient interest to the public.

She had entered a plea of not guilty at the preliminary hearing already and if the CPS had been successful in making their case, she could have been facing six months in prison.

If a crime is committed, police do not need an alleged victim's authorisation to go ahead with an investigation or a case. The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and their office (Crown Prosecution Service) make the call balanced on evidence presented to them. It was originally recommended in 1845 for this reason...

...the duty of prosecution is usually irksome, inconvenient and burthensome; the injured party would often rather forgo the prosecution than incur expense of time, labour and money. When, therefore, the party injured is compelled by the magistrate to act as prosecutor, the duty is frequently performed unwillingly and carelessly.
    That's the UK, and thankfully it's similar here in Ireland and in probably most of the developed West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The media didn’t kill her. She was charged with assault, were they just meant to ignore that fact and pretend it never happened? Having said that, social media has created a level of accessibility where you can literally @whoeveryoulike and abuse them to your hearts content, with a vulnerable person like this, in a situation like that, like this it’s a recipe for disaster.

It’s incredibly sad that this is how her life ended, and I have a genuine pit of stomach sadness that she felt this was her only option. But I think when things like this happen it’s too easy to look for someone to blame. It’s the same with the previous Love Island deaths —tragic and all as they were, clearly issues were already at play there. Reports claim she had slit her wrists the night she was charged with assault, so its clear that perhaps she was on some kind of downward spiral. It’s just incredibly sad that this is how it ended. I say this as someone who was never much of a fan, but I’m genuinely sad today to hear this news. She always came across as someone who seemed so young at heart with a lively spirit.

Absolutely spot on, well said.

I'd also like to add that people who are jumping on the band wagon about 3 suicides resulting from Love Island, where is the proof that if they hadn't been associated with the show that this wouldn't have happened?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If there's evidence present, a prosecution can continue regardless. Imagine if this wasn't the case - how much complainant/witness intimidation there would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

LillySV wrote: »
    The same media she thrived in decided to destroy her .. took a stupid domestic incident and multiplied the gravity of it... millennial followers lapped it up cause they don’t think for themselves ... lead to her feeling like she had no Choice ... now the same CNUTs who vilified her will Be the biggest public mourners... sad fukin world

I'm not sure the pictures of the bedroom imply that it was nothing but a stupid domestic incident. I can understand why people were upset to be honest.

Of course it's sad that this is the end result, there are no winners at all, and I do agree some media outlets are pointless and damaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm not getting into a debate about who fault iy was or whatever

But when you see people like Dan Wootton being one of first to express his sadness at her death, the hypocrisy and bullying that man does to people is sickening and part of a rotten culture that does little to help.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Bullied to death by the media

I think social media would be far more vicious then the media. There are almost no rules in relation to the slander and abuse on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It’s getting a bit ridiculous that other celebs are coming out with “she made a mistake”. It can be both sad and true that she needed to face her actions. She smashed a lamp over her sleeping partners head. That’s serious assault at the very least. Har to categorise as a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Whether she is guilty of the alleged offences or not, the media have absolutely hounded her for the last two months.
    It has been relentless, the tabloids and gutter press didn’t just report on what she’s been accused of, they targeted her over and over again.

It was borderline harassment the last few weeks, and between the media, the comments under articles, Twitter and the DM’s she was no doubt getting on instagram, is this even surprising? There is only so many abusive comments a person can take.

I’m loathe to agree with Pierse Morgan but the woman had lost everything, privately, publicly, professionally and personally.
    Her career was over.
    She was humiliated and torn to shreds by both the general public and by the press.
    But I don’t think what she allegedly did warranted that kind of vicious treatment at all.

I don’t even really have an issue with them publishing what she was accused of, when it initially came to light. But until a trial had taken place, they had no right to persistently target her and repeatedly publish the accusations over and over again for crimes she hadn’t even been found guilty of yet.
    It was a trial by media and there has to be accountability for things like this.

The virtue signalling from the ‘thoughts and prayers’ celebrity crowd has been stomach turning today.
    I saw some of the journalists from The Sun sharing condolence, which is the height of hypocrisy when they’ve practically been running a hate campaign against her the last few months.

It has definitely made me rethink the media I consume, the articles I click on etc. I don’t want to support those vultures in any way and I’m going to try to be more conscious of what I click on.

May the poor woman rest in peace and finally be free from the pain she has been in.
    Fück Piers Morgan. His behaviour towards Megan Markle is equally as disgraceful.
    He’s also doing all those things to Jameela Jamil now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

RIP.

The desire to be famous should be considered an urgent mental health problem. Why anybody wants to put themselves out there in the public is beyond me, it’s an epidemic that thousands subscribe to, chasing meaningless followers and likes on social media hoping for their 15 minutes of fame in a shallow superficial world based on narcissism and ego.

Imagine having paparazzi following you, not being able to do anything only for it to be national news, being open to abuse from online trolls. Funk that. How anybody knowingly aspires to that is beyond me.

SusieBlue wrote: »

Her career was over.

Out of interest (and not having a go) if the gender roles were reversed would you still hold the same opinion? Had she been allegedly battered on the head with a lamp by the BF and he was vilified by the media to the point of suicide would you think the same?

I don’t seem to recall anyone having that point of view about the bladerunner fella pistorious before his conviction.

• Advertisement

Bizarre thread. It is not part of some "gender war" to point out the blatantly obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Look, this is what happens when someone dies, no matter what they did in life they are canonised in death. I've never watched Love Island I don't follow her or read tabloids very often but this woman killed herself hours after the Crown Prosecution Service told her that they were going ahead with the Court Case and the day before the show she'd been fired from was due to air.

Now it's all about glossing over the fact that the woman seriously assaulted a man while he slept and painting her as a victim in all of this. The reality is that men are the victims of domestic violence too but they don't really get much coverage. I'll get eaten alive for saying it but this just seems very selfish and manipulative timing. She isn't the victim here, the man she attacked and could have murdered in his sleep is the victim. Yes she's dead, yes it's sad but she's wasn't a saint so lets not pretend that she was.

Look, this is what happens when someone dies, no matter what they did in life they are canonised in death. I've never watched Love Island I don't follow her or read tabloids very often but this woman killed herself hours after the Crown Prosecution Service told her that they were going ahead with the Court Case and the day before the show she'd been fired from was due to air.

Now it's all about glossing over the fact that the woman seriously assaulted a man while he slept and painting her as a victim in all of this. The reality is that men are the victims of domestic violence too but they don't really get much coverage. I'll get eaten alive for saying it but this just seems very selfish and manipulative timing. She isn't the victim here, the man she attacked and could have murdered in his sleep is the victim. Yes she's dead, yes it's sad but she's wasn't a saint so lets not pretend that she was.

Your gonna get slated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

razorblunt wrote: »
    Fück Piers Morgan. His behaviour towards Megan Markle is equally as disgraceful.

Piers Morgan is absolute scum.
    My missus watches him every day on the tv and it drives me nuts. She’s been criticising him since Flacks death but she’ll be back watching him next week. I told her this is exactly why people like him are on tv in that people like her validate his actions by continuing to watch him.
    Same as that Britain’s got talent show where they bring me on people who are obviously not all there just to make fun of them. It’s another of bullying.
    ITV really are the daily mail of tv channels. They should be shut down.

Bizarre thread. It is not part of some "gender war" to point out the blatantly obvious.

What’s bizarre is that people buy the tabloids, people spend hours on social media. But now all of a sudden they are the enemy. The Massive irony of people positing on Twitter / IG / Facebook about how terrible it is seems to be lost on a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I have a wry smile on my face reading the indignant posts blaming the tabloids and gossip mags for hounding this woman over the alleged assault. The papers only publish these stories because the idiot masses can't get enough of them. It's a sad state of affairs when the average young woman on the street knows every last detail of the lives of the Kardashian sisters but can't name their local TD. I genuinely had never heard of this woman until today because (a) I don't read trashy tabloids or gossip mags and (b) don't watch reality TV (or any TV at all actually). If you are truly horrified at the treatment this woman received from the media then for god's sake stop buying these red-top papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Her management and some of her social circle are coming out now attributing blame to the CPS for pursuing prosecution against her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

But no one is a saint. Everyone makes mistakes. In this case even the victim in question didn't want it going any further.
    Maybe I feel for her because I put myself in her shoes and wonder what made her do what she done to him. There was rumours of cheating on his behalf. I remember myself when I woke up during the night and found out my abusive ex was cheating I picked up the first think I could find (a book I think) a threw it. Obviously different cases but no one only me knows what happened there and no one only Caroline knows what happened in her case. However, the constant scrutiny and humiliation she must of felt was not fair.
    I actually haven't been able to sleep tonight thinking of her. The whole cancel culture thing that goes on disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I'm not getting into a debate about who fault iy was or whatever

But when you see people like Dan Wootton being one of first to express his sadness at her death, the hypocrisy and bullying that man does to people is sickening and part of a rotten culture that does little to help.
    And if Mr Wootton takes his own life your email will be one of the causal factors!

Can you not see the hypocrisy?

Dan Wootton is just doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

razorblunt wrote: »
    Can you not see that by attacking Piers Morgan (a fellow Irishman by the way) you are engaging in the behaviour you decry?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

They targeted her cos she attacked her partner. Obviously the end result is tragic but why should she have been let off for the press for what they did?

Because theyre not there to put her on trial. They're to report an incident. All those rags do is print and post sensationalist stuff for shock value and attention.

Because theyre not there to put her on trial. They're to report an incident. All those rags do is print and post sensationalist stuff for shock value and attention.

They only print those stories because people buy the papers.
    Did you hold the same views during the Paddy Jackson "trial by media"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

coinop wrote: »
    They only print those stories because people buy the papers.
    Did you hold the same views during the Paddy Jackson "trial by media"?

Paddy Jackson's trial went ahead?

Paddy Jackson's trial went ahead?

Yes and he was found not guilty of rape and sexual assault. But try explaining that to the permanently outraged Boards.ie feminist squad who thrive on cancel culture and destroying people's lives for the sin of possessing testicles. Diageo were pressured into cutting ties with London Irish when Jackson transferred to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

It’s very shocking. Police and the law makers need to find a way in this social media age to prevent trial by social media.

One thing I found annoying is the use of Caroline’s death by some of our recently unelected TD’s to draw parallels between the abuse she got online and the criticism they receive as elected representatives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement