Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide - The Best Song...... EVER

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Fleetwood Mac, since it's more than just noise. Not their best song, but I'm trying to think of one of theirs that is less pleasing to the ear than Smells Like Teen Spirit, and I am failing.

I'm surprised Nena is here, but glad. Paint it Black is pretty good, but Nena is uplifting and contributes to a large percentage of my German vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

1. The decision I was hoping to defer until the final. The two best songs left and probably has been that way for couple of rounds. Would make a worthy final and both gets regular blasting here but I’m going to vote for Smells like Teen Spirit because it’s more of my generation.

2. Voted against both of these in last round and will go against the winner in the final . Paint it Black for me. Great song - but behind the songs in the other semi for me - and superior to Nena who does deserve credit for making the German language sound musical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

nena cause its the best song in the world, and not just a tribute.

Nirvana - Because I always vote for the objectively better song.

Nena - Catchy tune with meaningful lyrics. A song enjoyed by young and old and people of all nationalities. A real unifying piece of music vs. A song with primary school lyrics enjoyed by people with boring lives living vicariously through an overrated rock band.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Fleetwood Mac - The other song already won a contest, no need to be getting greedy.
    Nena - Its my new favourite song, besides, I turned my back on BR and god damn it, I'm stick with it now

• Advertisement

Nirvana - for the nostalgia

Nena - for the catchiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Very happy with this Final 4, three of which I had nominated in their decade competitions (Smells Like Teen Spirit, Go Your Own Way, and Paint It Black) and I love 99 Luftballons, so no matter how the rest of the tournament plays out, I'll be happy with the result. It does make voting in this round all the more difficult though...

Semi-Final 1 - this one was very very tough. While neither song is my favourite from either artist, they're both still up there with the best from both band, and would both rank quite high up on my favourite song of all-time list. Two very different songs and yet it really is very close when it comes to deciding between them, but I think I'm going to have to vote for Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way

Semi-Final 2 - this choice wasn't quite as agonizing as the other one, but still quite a difficult decision to make. Paint It Black is a classic, and I do love a bit of old school rock, but Nena has been the dark horse of the competition and I also happen to love '80s synth pop, so both songs are fairly equal to me... But what gives one song the edge over the other is the fact that it's in German (Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch und ich liebe die Sprache) and she makes a reference to Captain Kirk, so I'm going to have to vote for Nena - 99 Luftballons

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭imonboard

Fleetwood mac , less noise, can listen any time of the day.
    Stones because the other song is so bad

Nirvana fleetwood jack has no place in the tournament no mind the semis.

99 luftballons because I like german airline comapines

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

Nirvana - The song of the 90s, and a great angry party tune

Paint it black - if 99 luftbaloons wins it will make a mockery of the competition. It would be a real boaty mcboatface moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

if 99 luftbaloons wins it will make a mockery of the competition. It would be a real boaty mcboatface moment

giphy.gif

#1 - Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way
    Voting for this because it manages the feat of being a really infectious, catchy sing-along tune while also having lyrics that are so emotional and cathartic. A stunning "well fúck you too" in response to the (equally beautiful and caustic) "fúck you" of Dreams.

#2 - The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
    While I love the inspiration behind 99 Luftballons, I'm just going for the musically superior track here. Paint It Black is one of those songs that's just "cool" - I can't define what cool is exactly but this definitely is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Smells like teen spirit painted black in the semi finals

Necro wrote: »
    Nena - 99 Luftballons 10 6 Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

:D

Wasn't around earlier but very happy to see this, well done boards.

:D

Wasn't around earlier but very happy to see this, well done boards.

and then you go and vote against you traitor :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Smells like teen spirit painted black in the semi finals
    You have to give a reason or your vote won't count.

Nirvana-Smells Like Teen Spirit. >>>>It's cathartic.
    Nena-99 Luftballoons. >>>Purely for the comedy value.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Semi Final 1:

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. Not Nirvana's best song imo, but Go Your Own Way isn't Fleetwood Mac's best either. This is the better of the not quite the bests, imo.

Semi Final 2:

Nena - 99 Luftballons. I really, really like Paint it Black, but this for me is one of the iconic songs of the 80s, and it's not even in English!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

I feel revenge coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Nirvana-Smells Like Teen Spirit 8-8 Fleetwood Mac-Go Your Own Way
    Nena-99 Luftballons 11-6 Rolling Stones-Paint It Black

Current scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Smells like teen spirit - broke my nose moshing to it in Phantasm, a song so good I was knocked out cold.

Rolling stones - Paint it black picking it for the anti-lolz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'll give a vote to Nirvana too - cracking grunge song that certainly isn't my favourite Nirvana song but a good one nonetheless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Sure why not, the smelly teens can have a vote from me too.

Nirvana - because it's better to burn out than to fade away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

fixXxer wrote: »
    Smells like teen spirit
    lassykk wrote: »
    I'll give a vote to Nirvana too
    sKeith wrote: »
    Nirvana

ETmZUzi.gif

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Nena-99 Luftballons 11-6 Rolling Stones-Paint It Black

Current scores.

now+you%27re+just+embarassing+yourself.gif

now+you%27re+just+embarassing+yourself.gif

I've listened to both and I'm confused by this too.

I do quite like the english language version of 99 Red Balloons but not so much the original

I'm abstaining as I don't think either are even remotely close to being the Best Song Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

All you kids voting Nirvana are making my vote in the final easier.

I've listened to both and I'm confused by this too

I've never understood the love for 99... I'm not going to start now :p

Mostly though, I saw the Dave Grohl gif while looking for the School of Rock one and wanted to use it :pac:

Kolido wrote: »
    All you kids voting Nirvana are making my vote in the final easier.

It would be hard to vote for Nirvana if they're not there. That's what you mean, right? ;)

Just had a chance to listen back to some of the earlier entries that I didn't know and I tip my hat to whoever picked this

Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D Major

A beautiful piece of music and I'm not certain but possibly played at my wedding - I'd need my wife to confirm ;)

I only got to pick the first dance and not the church music!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just had a chance to listen back to some of the earlier entries that I didn't know and I tip my hat to whoever picked this

Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D Major

A beautiful piece of music and I'm not certain but possibly played at my wedding - I'd need my wife to confirm ;)

I only got to pick the first dance and not the church music!
    You're welcome :) I'm surprised no one else voted Clair de Lune, Fur Elise etc. No classical fans on here I guess

My votes go to Nirvana - one of those rare songs that represents the voice of a generation. And also Rolling Stones because it's just one of the coolest songs ever

Advertisement