Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working two jobs

Options
  • 15-02-2020 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I currently work full-time with Employer A. I have just been offered a part-time (24 hours a week) contract with Employer B, which I have decided to accept. However when I went to hand in my notice to Employer A, they asked would I consider continuing to work 8 hours a week for them.

I want to do this, but I'd rather not tell my new employer. Firstly, will they be able to find out, from my tax credits or whatever? Secondly, am I legally obliged to tell them? I've checked my new contract and there's nothing there.

If it's relevant, I'm a Graphic Designer. The two companies are in completely different industries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

notarobota wrote: »
    I currently work full-time with Employer A. I have just been offered a part-time (24 hours a week) contract with Employer B, which I have decided to accept. However when I went to hand in my notice to Employer A, they asked would I consider continuing to work 8 hours a week for them.

I want to do this, but I'd rather not tell my new employer. Firstly, will they be able to find out, from my tax credits or whatever? Secondly, am I legally obliged to tell them? I've checked my new contract and there's nothing there.

If it's relevant, I'm a Graphic Designer. The two companies are in completely different industries.

AFAIK no you're not legally obliged to tell them.

And no, they won't be nosying around to see if you have another 'active' employment on revenue.

Why aren't you telling them? You're allowed have another job. As long as it doesn't cross over.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Virtually every single td has a second job. I would imagine there are tax implications but if you are contracted for 10,20,30 or 40 hours a week, you can do whatever you want with the rest of your time

Plenty of teachers work during their summer holidays, it's not unusual.

AFAIK no you're not legally obliged to tell them.

And no, they won't be nosying around to see if you have another 'active' employment on revenue.

Why aren't you telling them? You're allowed have another job. As long as it doesn't cross over.
    Depending on the company and office and how the OP splits their tax credits it might be obvious that there is a second job if say they have 3/4 of a standard tax credit and band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Probably be better off freelancing for Employer A.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some contracts do explicitly include a clause requiring the employee to seek written permission before taking paid work anywhere else. It's not legal to have a blanket ban on a second job, but a company is entitled to protect its interests and require employees to not compete with them while employed.

If both jobs involve providing graphic design services excusively for the use of each company, then I see no issue arising. Moonlighting is very common.

There is no legal obligation to notify the employer and details of employees' tax credits are private information protected by GDPR. And thus should be protected and only visible to employees who need to see it; i.e. payroll. So unless the boss and the person doing payroll are the same, this is unlikely to arise. And since there are many reasons why someone's tax credits can be "off", payroll are not going to blink an eye.

OP, if you agree with company A to bill them on an monthly basis for hours worked rather than getting paid through payroll, then the tax credits problem goes away. You file a tax return at the end of the year declaring the extra income, pay tax on it, problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I work a fulltime job as a developer, my old job offered me 10 hours a week partime on retainer which I took.

So basically I work at my fulltime job as normal.
    My partime job I work freelance so I charge more hourly rate but all tax etc. is up to me to sort out so it works for them. I do my 10 years whenever I want during the week. I have not informed my new job as it's none of their business really and there is no conflict of interest as they are 2 completely different company's

Advertisement