Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungarvan/comeragh loop

Options
  • 16-02-2020 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi,i have something on in Dungarvan soon and im going to bring the bike with me as i'll have a bit of time on my hands on one of the days.Im not overly familiar with the area.

Could anyone recommend/map out a nice loop of the area please,a bit of climbing in the comeragh mountains if possible.

Distance somewhere between 80 and 100k.

Appreciate any help,Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Was down there late last year and we did the route below, lovely day out

https://www.strava.com/activities/2818716648

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd also consider the coast road along to Tramore some fantastic views.

You can come off that around Kilmacthomas and go up Mahon Falls easily enough for a bit of a longer climb too.

Waterford Greenway if you are looking for something more leisurely - although I'd tend to avoid the Dungarvan side of that at weekends or school holidays if the weather is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

What CantgetSleep said.

Head out the coast past Clonea, Stradbally (some lovely coves along there) cut back onto N25 from Bunmahon and head up the back of Mahon Falls from Kilmac.

Or head out to Ring, turn right up by the GAA club (gives fantastic coastal cliff views), over around Old Parish/Ardmore - back in the N25 down the Sweep (again great views) and head up to the switchbacks at Killrossanty via the Military road (views from top of the switchbacks are great) and you can head over the Mahon falls this way - home via Kilmac and the Greenway.

I can do up Strava routes for any of those if you want..

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

niallo32 wrote: »
    What CantgetSleep said.

Head out the coast past Clonea, Stradbally (some lovely coves along there) cut back onto N25 from Bunmahon and head up the back of Mahon Falls from Kilmac.

Or head out to Ring, turn right up by the GAA club (gives fantastic coastal cliff views), over around Old Parish/Ardmore - back in the N25 down the Sweep (again great views) and head up to the switchbacks at Killrossanty via the Military road (views from top of the switchbacks are great) and you can head over the Mahon falls this way - home via Kilmac and the Greenway.

I can do up Strava routes for any of those if you want..

Id appreciate that!,Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

pkvader wrote: »
    Hi,i have something on in Dungarvan soon and im going to bring the bike with me as i'll have a bit of time on my hands on one of the days.Im not overly familiar with the area.

Could anyone recommend/map out a nice loop of the area please,a bit of climbing in the comeragh mountains if possible.

Distance somewhere between 80 and 100k.

Appreciate any help,Thanks.

Are you fussy about road surface quality?

If not every single bit of tarmac within Co Waterford and beyond has been explored by a local group of riders.

Most of the routes suggested are N25 mixed with regional roads, not much fun solo in my experience but you might be happy enough with that.

28mm min tyres would be a good idea for any of the back road routes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

https://www.strava.com/activities/119092198

That's the normal Ballymac Lap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Junior wrote: »

And depending on how much you dislike your knees, Seskin and Mahon Falls are both but right turn turns on this route (if going clockwise). I'd echo what Large Bottle Small Glasses said - while scenic, this might not be the most interesting route solo as it's main roads all the way.

I don't know the smaller roads around Dungarvan that well as I'm over in the east of the county, but hugging the coast is spectacular. Follow the coast to Stradbally, Ballyvoorney Cove, Bunmahon, then on to Annsetown. From there, head back towards Kilmacthomas, and take the Greenway as far as Mahon Bridge (the Kilmac viaduct is a highlight, and the cafe in the old workhouse makes a very good rest stop). At Mahon Bridge you can decide if your legs have the Mahon Falls in them and if so turn right, or just cruise back to Dungarvan on the greenway (the tunnel is another highlight)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Junior wrote: »

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29950555

Really nice, if less than easy spin to Tramore and back, using best of official coast road, but getting off it a lot onto quite back roads. You notice you cross a few valleys as you travel east and return west! You'll never go above 130m but you will climb.

If you want to ride a nice if very hard and lumpy loop to Ballymac its linked below.

Newcastle at 34km and Lemybrien at 78km are the only places to refuel on that loop. Surfaces are challenging in places with a few very steep descents, but if you have the legs for it, you won't get a real feel for west Waterford with a short spin in south Tipp thrown in. When you are struggling up the Sterk be glad you went down THAT climb near Newcastle.

As per last post 28mm tyres would be fine but I'd be reluctant on anything narrower

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31955572?beta=false

Advertisement