Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So according to the Sindo,its an FF-FG-Green-Grand coalition then ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Not everyone lives in Dublin FFS.

You'll of course now be able to point out where I suggested everyone one did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You'll of course now be able to point out where I suggested everyone one did.
    Stick your semantics up your ring, not interested.

All of your posts are Dublin centric. How will you 'encourage' someone onto non existent public transport?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You could have said the same about the smoking ban. Some people will never or cannot not change. That doesn't mean we pander to this minority who are negatively affecting the majority.

As it is, public transport is over subscribed for peak volume. Where is the capacity to take people out of cars, if cars are the hindrance for further public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yer wan in Clare had five kids and never paid a penny in rent. Violet.

WTF? Ok she was elected. For SF who are going to solve the housing issue. Yeah right.

I dunno yer wan Heather Humphrey's Fine Gaels minister for agriculture intervened to help get a criminally convicted neglectful farmer's latest case dropped.it's a funny old world!

explain to me what the green party are currently suggesting doing (because your ideas arent the rapidly approaching policy here, as good as they may be) that doesn't harm rural dwellers with no other option to travel to work except the car ?

ANPR enforcement of bus lanes, more cycle lanes, removing on street parking, increased busses, dart expansion, investment in IE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We’re talking about Ireland here. Not other countries. If someone is genuinely homeless, they’ll be happy to be housed, no matter where it is on this island of ours.

Itd do me no good getting housed away from the school run and commute to work.

As it is, public transport is over subscribed for peak volume. Where is the capacity to take people out of cars, if cars are the hindrance for further public transport?

Fine Gael would have that blamed on those with bus passes etc.

ANPR enforcement of bus lanes, more cycle lanes, removing on street parking, increased busses, dart expansion, investment in IE

But, busses are having higher amount of fleets made available, and the fleet is also expanding for Irish Rail, but is restrictive and more lengthy due to our infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭PressRun

Eoin O Broin is going to have all his ideas nabbed by FF before he ever gets a go at the housing job.

smurgen wrote: »
    Fine Gael would have that blamed on those with bus passes etc.

There tends to be enough people here chewing on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ok, im onboard with the ANPR bus lanes part. I think we need more cycle lanes but not at the loss of road space for cars, and there should be a law forbidding cyclists from using the road where a cycle lane is available.

removing street parking is a non runner, dublin already has far too few car parking spaces.

however, yet again , what of this have the greens proposed because all ive seen from them is a big fat tax increase on carbon which shafts the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

What bus lanes? The nearest to me is about 100 km away. Cycles lanes on my 70 km commute will help how? No dart, no train. There is effectively no public transport rurally on a day to day basis.

This is why rural people think Eamon ryan is an idiot. That and wolves of course.

Raising taxes with no alternative would be political suicide for them, but then again they have form

But, busses are having higher amount of fleets made available, and the fleet is also expanding for Irish Rail, but is restrictive and more lengthy due to our infrastructure.

At a glacial pace. FG's investment isn't even keeping up with demand. I honestly couldn't care who does as long as someone does it

What bus lanes? The nearest to me is about 100 km away. Cycles lanes on my 70 km commute will help how? No dart, no train. There is effectively no public transport rurally on a day to day basis.

This is why rural people think Eamon ryan is an idiot. That and wolves of course.

Raising taxes with no alternative would be political suicide for them, but then again they have form

What are you talking about. This argument is beyond silly. You too could have PT if a party in power had the will to deliver it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think they will go for one Taoiseach rotation : govt to last 4 years minimum, after that, election called by agreement of the two. Michèal to be Taoiseach for the first two years, the Rads for the second two, and for the part of any 5th up to the next election. Eminently sensible and workable.

ok, im onboard with the ANPR bus lanes part. I think we need more cycle lanes but not at the loss of road space for cars, and there should be a law forbidding cyclists from using the road where a cycle lane is available.

removing street parking is a non runner, dublin already has far too few car parking spaces.

however, yet again , what of this have the greens proposed because all ive seen from them is a big fat tax increase on carbon which shafts the poor.

The greens have proposed this and more. Cars in the city no longer work. Did they ever work? Cycle lanes benefit communities and businesses alike we just need to make the brave choices.

Cyclist pay for the road just as much as you do. They are perfectly entitled to use it. If you build high quality cycle lanes it will be used. Painting a white line on the footpath isn't a cycle lane. Would you do 120 down a country lane just because someone put up a M 100 sign in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think they will go for one Taoiseach rotation : govt to last 4 years minimum, after that, election called by agreement of the two. Michèal to be Taoiseach for the first two years, the Rads for the second two, and for the part of any 5th up to the next election. Eminently sensible and workable.

It will be Martin 2 years, Varadkar 2 years. Put money on it.

The cucumber from the Green Party will be Tanaiste :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,781 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

One of the Kildare sf reps was on her holidays during the canvassing and election she literally had her name down and that’s it :)

And I bet she topped the votes which says a lot of what people think of the other parties

FG backed up by FF failed, housing and health were a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

puke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think when people mention the word undemocratic, it's not so much related to the amount of seats, more so the complete unwillingness of FFG to engage with SF at all, despite them being the second largest party in the state (Equal to FF if you discount the Ceann Coimhrle). Let's face it, many of the TDs now in discussions on the formation of a new government, barely got elected by the skin of their teeth!

There's a feeling out there from SF voters that their votes didn't matter. That the old guard have excluded them. It's hard to see it any other way in honesty.

It's almost as if you're suggesting that shotguns are a valid reason to get married.

Why do SF voters get to have a spilled milk don't cry feeling for their votes not mattering? What about every other party or independent voter?

The truth is that if SF voters wanted their vote to matter then they'd have voted them in the council/ EU elections and SF would have put enough candidates in place. But instead people just joined a bandwagon in a flippant protest vote.

What's amusing about this is that we've already rejected electronic voting.

Yet here we are, people posturing that we should decide on a government based on Twitter...

FF and FG didn't get enough seats to form a government, so team up to form one, even though both sustained huge losses in public support. That would be a kick in the teeth for everyone who abandoned them, only to get stuck with them.

You mean a kick in the teeth for the minority.
    Let's have a party with 24% of the votes run the country while 76% get told about some sort of kick in the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

You mean a kick in the teeth for the minority.
    Let's have a party with 24% of the votes run the country while 76% get told about some sort of kick in the teeth.

i think its great - ****e for the country but great for SF in the next election. FF and FG wont solve the housing or health issues - they have nothing new to offer so things will get worse over the next 5 years. you can be sure the shinners will run more than enough candidates when the next one comes around.

SF would worsen housing..... They encourage wasters.

You don't want us to compare to other countries because when we do it becomes blindingly obvious that something is unbelievably wrong and dysfunctional with our rental and housing market.we've lost a decade of wage growth due to FG inaction on housing. If this isn't the case then please explain this to me ;

https://twitter.com/thecurrency/status/1225761337873174528?s=19

Rents were really low in 2010.... Country was in tatters. And folk were moaning about emigrating etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You all know its nothing to do with their paramilitary past don't you? Its not because of that FG and FF won't go into govt with sf. ...its because of their fiscal policies. The way they want to tax banks.

I am not saying SF's policies aren't mad because they are ....but that is the real reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Their rent freeze would also halt the construction of every single house or apartment being built overnight.

Not only will homelessness deepen hugely and supply of housing be cut off but there will be big layoffs in the construction industry as well.

Being populist is easy when you don't have to implement your policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

If this happens sinn féin will stroll into power next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If this happens sinn féin will stroll into power next time.

Unless the grand coalition does a decent or acceptable job of improving the housing and health crises.

There are already signs in the last year that there are improvements in the former. If this continued for 5yrs they might get off the hook on that.

But I think health could be their downfall.

Advertisement