Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So according to the Sindo,its an FF-FG-Green-Grand coalition then ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It shows voting is actually pointless as the cynics said beforehand.

FFFG wont ever give up their power and will work together to keep themselves in power. They have the monopoly no one else allowed into the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Sarn wrote: »
    All this would do is postpone the inevitable. SF’s share of the vote will increase while they are in opposition, with people saying a lack of democracy, despite democracy in action.

This is the key point really. SFs election result took everyone by surprise including themselves. They'd 42 candidates running and 37 were elected. They'll have 60 odd at least running in the next election and will get the most of them elected.
    Government this time would have been too soon for them. It really works in their favour to be in opposition for the next 5 years.
    Presuming the "grand coalition" holds together and there isn't a revoult in the FF/FG grassroots who up to this point have been deluded enough to think there was a difference in the two parties. In that case SF could be in much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

pjohnson wrote: »

FFFG wont ever give up their power and will work together to keep themselves in power. They have the monopoly no one else allowed into the club.

Bullcrap. Anyone can get into the club if they get enough votes.
    Get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

explain to me what the green party are currently suggesting doing (because your ideas arent the rapidly approaching policy here, as good as they may be) that doesn't harm rural dwellers with no other option to travel to work except the car ?

A congestion charge aimed at non essential single vehicle journeys in Dublin would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unless the grand coalition does a decent or acceptable job of improving the housing and health crises.

There are already signs in the last year that there are improvements in the former. If this continued for 5yrs they might get off the hook on that.

But I think health could be their downfall.

Yeah if they do their job people would vote for them again. Another thing people are forgeting I think are the die-hard voters of fg and FF that still base their vote on civil war politics. I know myself that down in Kerry a lot of the ff crowd would lose It if they went into power with fg. Also with the greens as rural dwellers don't like them.

• Advertisement

Unless the grand coalition does a decent or acceptable job of improving the housing and health crises.

There are already signs in the last year that there are improvements in the former. If this continued for 5yrs they might get off the hook on that.

Health is unsolvable without clearing out the overpaid public servants in admin & management roles...... Whoever fixes the health service will be really unpopular. Folk want the trolley & bed shortages fixed without Mary & John losing their 60k/annum handy gig & associated pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Augeo wrote: »
    Health is unsolvable without clearing out the overpaid public servants in admin & management roles...... Whoever fixes the health service will be really unpopular. Folk want the trolley & bed shortages fixed without Mary & John losing their 60k/annum handy gig & associated pension.

The issues with health isn't the health system as in the hospitals, it's the lack of the community based facilities. Think you're having a heart attack ? Go A&E! Need some minor stitches? Go to A&E! Elderly person needs to recover after a fall stay in hospital. And also the fact the private sector is availing of public facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We'll have to see what HSE MK-? does first. Health into the future is Slaintecare, which they have all signed up to, so if they get punished whoever replaces them will still be doing Slaintecare.

pjohnson wrote: »

Actually that would be voters and incompatible policies on all sides.

..... And also the fact the private sector is availing of public facilities

What?
    We are all entitled to use public facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A congestion charge aimed at non essential single vehicle journeys in Dublin would be a start.

What's non essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

So people who don't have the option of using public transport to get to work should also have to pay a congestion charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Nobody is commuting by car for a laugh anymore,

Itd do me no good getting housed away from the school run and commute to work.

I should have clarified unemployed and homeless. Workers should have priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If this happens sinn féin will stroll into power next time.

the "coalition" will focus on housing and health like sin feins mandate and sin fein won't necessarily stroll in next time

I should have clarified unemployed and homeless. Workers should have priority.
    I hear a shovel working very hard here!:D

is_that_so wrote: »
    I hear a shovel working very hard here!:D

Is that so?

The unions need to be broken to fix health, will never happen

Is that so?
    OK, don't rub it in, I should have added the "?"!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

with the drive to fix homeless i guess the lower end of the high tax earners will be f**ed over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

with the drive to fix homeless i guess the lower end of the high tax earners will be f**ed over

Someone has to pay for the forevahomes (it won't be genuine homeless i.e those on the streets getting them either)

Every time any government here promises to fix something you basically may aswell do the maths in your head that its going to cost twice as much and only deliver half a solution and everyone on over 30k is getting their paycheque gangbanged to fund it.

What?
    We are all entitled to use public facilities.

I meant consultants operating private practices in public hospitals

What's non essential?

The vast majority of journeys inside the canals are already made my means other than car. A sizeable proportion of the remaining minority have PT options but don't use them. It's time to stop pandering to this minority and build liveable cities

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Another blow for democracy if true.

Mo thóin! This is the myth perpetuated by SF they 'won' the election.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/10/sinn-fein-declares-victory-irish-general-election

If so that is a very loose definition of 'winning'! Over 500,000 of the popular vote.
    But over 1,100,000 of the popular vote went to parties who categorically stated prior to the election that they would not support SF in government. Labour, FF and FG.

SF go on about respecting mandate when it suits them, thier mandate NOT to into Westminister and so. Yet when other parties have a mandate NOT to go into government with them they cry from the rooftops. That is only recently as well because thier dream of a grand coalition of the left would not work.

I think the mix of Greens centre left, FF trying to go centre left (again) and FG centre right is the better mixture available. They are at least compatible on many issues. Plus it is 85 seats throw in a few like minded independents and it is job done.

SF remind me an awful lot of the way Irish soccer used to be in the 70's had the odd big win, but it would not mean much overall. Moral victories, victory in defeat and draws. But they never really got anywhere.

If you look at the history of republicanism. Draws and stalemates were the nearest they ever got to actual all out victory. Their main tactic is hope the opposition either politically or militarily gets bored!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

the "coalition" will focus on housing and health like sin feins mandate and sin fein won't necessarily stroll in next time

The pendulum swings from the centre-right to the centre-right.

The pendulum swings from the centre-right to the centre-right.

I am not sure that is strictly true.

According to Micheal Martin -

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HXZApg7XWscJ:https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fianna-f%25C3%25A1il-a-bit-to-the-left-says-miche%25C3%25A1l-martin-1.2487360+&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Howlin was also hoping to get in with FF at one stage -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/fianna-f%C3%A1il-more-in-line-with-labour-than-fine-gael-says-howlin-1.3749359

But for many on the left the Greens are not left enough

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2020/02/irelands-greens-climate-change-environment-election

To be honest I do not know what they expect from a Dublin centric urban middle class avacado on toast brigade. Clearly the Greens are centre left in terms of social justice and so on. They are not the Joe Bloggs militant lefty like the PBP or SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Probably the worst combination. We get more of the same except extra green taxes. Yaaay.

Probably the worst combination. We get more of the same except extra green taxes. Yaaay.

Barring Carbon taxes which FF - FG and Greens accept . What taxes are you specifically referring too?

• Advertisement

Well the electorate have spoken that is how the numbers pan out. You can at least comfort yourself that the planet will be saved. All those houses that will be built will be have great BER ratings. Oh and those evil non-hybrid motorists will be taxed to the hilt.

Would the student union politics of SF/PBP have worked better? Sure vote them in next time for the craic and see what happens.

Advertisement