Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So according to the Sindo,its an FF-FG-Green-Grand coalition then ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The rehabilitation of FF is complete.

Again not admitting that you have been caught out by throwing out a one liner.

Straight from the SF playbook.

Take a leaf out of Michael Martins book.

When you are wrong, admit you are wrong, apologise and move on.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    FG parliamentary party just announced it intends to go into opposition.

They've been banging on about that since the election. But until they come out and say categorically "We will not be going into government" their true intentions will not be clear.

Or as it's called by some on here...'whingers and hurlers on the ditch'.

After 9 years in government! A bit different than just not engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Again not admitting that you have been caught out by throwing out a one liner.

Straight from the SF playbook.

Take a leaf out of Michael Martins book.

When you are wrong, admit you are wrong, apologise and move on.

By watering down their irresponsible running of the country and blaming global events, regulators etc etc they try to wash their hands. Seems to have worked for some. This guy also promised his voters that he would go into a grand coalition with FG too btw.

I will apologise for zero.

After 9 years in government! A bit different than just not engaging.

Ha ha priceless! Opposition will now be a noble pursuit no doubt.

• Advertisement

The wriggle room in the FG statement.
    There will be no negotiations on a Programme for Government without a further mandate from the Parliamentary Party. It will meet again next week.

By watering down their irresponsible running of the country and blaming global events, regulators etc etc they try to wash their hands. Seems to have worked for some. This guy also promised his voters that he would go into a grand coalition with FG too btw.

Again you are wrong and blatant about it. Maybe lying just comes naturally.

Where did Martin “promised his voters he would go into a grand coalition with FG” as you claim?

Again you are wrong and blatant about it. Maybe lying just comes naturally.

Where did Martin “promised his voters he would go into a grand coalition with FG” as you claim?

That I will apologise for as I meant...he promised his voters he would not go into a grand coalition with FG in January. Link posted earlier.

That I will apologise for as I meant...he promised his voters he would not go into a grand coalition with FG in January. Link posted earlier.

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

...but hasn't ruled out coalition as a last resort'. according to RTE news.

• Advertisement

Classic!

You're trying too hard SS.
    Simple failure to re-read what I'd typed.

If I had meant it to read like that I would be praising him for keeping his word as he now wants a Grand Coalition.

You're trying too hard SS.
    Simple failure to re-read what I'd typed.

If I had meant it to read like that I would be praising him for keeping his word as he now wants a Grand Coalition.

You apologise. Then it’s my fault?

What is it with Sinn Fein, victim blaming and insincere apologies?

Double classic.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    ...but hasn't ruled out opposition as a last resort'. according to RTE news.

This is the party claiming there is an imperative to form a government because of Brexit concerns etc and now kicking the ball into touch until next week. If they are shutting the door, shut it emphatically and quit playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

...but hasn't ruled out coalition as a last resort'. according to RTE news.

I.e, if SF's efforts to put together a broad left government fail. Which must be the smallest 'if' in the world...

You apologise. Then it’s my fault?

Your fault? Who said that?

You are deflecting now to avoid dealing with the point.

This is the party claiming there is an imperative to form a government because of Brexit concerns etc and now kicking the ball into touch until next week. If they are shutting the door, shut it emphatically and quit playing games.

I hope they don’t leave it for three years while claiming “brexit is the greatest threat to the people of this island” like Sinn Fein did in the north!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

By watering down their irresponsible running of the country and blaming global events, regulators etc etc they try to wash their hands. Seems to have worked for some.

Unless you struggle with the English language, his statement is not watered down, and not blaming global events. He even reinforces that fact by saying their is no equivocation on his previous clause that they got things wrong, and are sorry.

"We made mistakes. We got things wrong and we are sorry for that," said Mr Martin. "No equivocation, no half apology, just the plain, unvarnished truth."

Its very clear. Maybe its doesnt suit the story of events that you imagine. But its very clear.

I think you owe an apology to Deputy Martin.

I hope they don’t leave it for three years while claiming “brexit is the greatest threat to the people of this island” like Sinn Fein did in the north!

Deflect deflect deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I'll take that as an admission of failure after 9 years, no belief in their own policies, if they truly had confidence in what think they have 'achieved' they would make an effort to remain in government.

Disgraceful party, disgraceful leader.

I.e, if SF's efforts to put together a broad left government fail. Which must be the smallest 'if' in the world...

They haven't 81 seats and O Broin spelt it out last week that without either of the big 2 getting involved it is impossible.

Not really too hard to decipher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

FG would rather take their chances on a fresh GE than hop in with FF. FF are in a bad position of their own making given their assumption of up to 60 seats. Their choices are go into bed with the old enemy, the new enemy or face a volatile electorate. Their leadership are in the weakest position of all the big 3. Of course not helped by the dogs dinner that the electorate served up.

So for now we've 3 parties that would be best served by going into opposition. I'm betting on a may election. The campaign will reward whoever to learned the lessons of the last one the best and all 3 will try and run 60-70 candidates with a huge emphasis on vote management.

Deflect deflect deflect.

Who’s deflecting? You are being hypocritical by criticising one party for thinking of doing something that your beloved Sinn Fein did for 3 years.

Unless you struggle with the English language, his statement is not watered down, and not blaming global events. He even reinforces that fact by saying their is no equivocation on his previous clause that they got things wrong, and are sorry.

"We made mistakes. We got things wrong and we are sorry for that," said Mr Martin. "No equivocation, no half apology, just the plain, unvarnished truth."

Its very clear. Maybe its doesnt suit the story of events that you imagine. But its very clear.

Deputy Martin, the creator of the HSE? Ha!

And everytime he got pinged on it in the TV debates the hands were waving, and the watering down began.

You see what you want to see, I see an opportunist who has one goal...to be Taoiseach, whatever it takes.

Who’s deflecting? You are being hypocritical by criticising one party for thinking of doing something that your beloved Sinn Fein did for 3 years.

In fact I am crticising two parties and this pathetic little dance they will do before doing the inevitable. And you can throw the comfy seat lovers (the Greens) in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s highly amusing to see posters who were so keen to see the back of FG now admonishing the party for stating they need a period in opposition.

It’s highly amusing to see posters who were so keen to see the back of FG now admonishing the party for stating they need a period in opposition.

Because it is bull.

The electorate actually, who also in their wisdom and for the first time, decided they didn't really care for FF to take up the batton.

I actually do hope FG hold firm and dont fold to the pressure. Im more interested in MM reaction when he has a final decision to make.

• Advertisement

I actually do hope FG hold firm and dont fold to the pressure. Im more interested in MM reaction when he has a final decision to make.
    I'd say they're all crunching the numbers on the votes and transfers, see what the pattern is, looking at the feedback for what reasons for voting and reactions to the campaigns issues each party presented. I think it's inevitable that they're be a fresh election. FF and FG will look to alter their campaign message, not wholesale but drop what did not reasonate with those floating voters. And of course, what number of candidates they'll all put up depending on whether there's a possibility of 1 seat or 2 to maximise vote management.

Advertisement