Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The press are now attacking the prosecutors for going ahead with the Caroline flack a

Options
  • 16-02-2020 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

https://m.independent.ie/incoming/my-heart-is-broken-caroline-flacks-boyfriend-in-emotional-tribute-as-prosecutors-slammed-for-pursuing-assault-case-38960675.html

First of the mark what has happened is a tragedy, I know and I think everyone can agree the British tabloids again have blood on their hands for their treatment of this woman over her personal and legal troubles.

That being said,why on earth are the prosecutors being attacked for doing their job and trying a person who commiter a crime,evidence and photos have been leaked online on the aftermath of the alleged assault with a weapon on her ex and it looks fairly gruesome. They are within their right and the public interest to being a case for alleged domestic violence.

Is this just a tactic of the tabloids to take the heat off themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

So they're saying that the authorities should not seek to prosecute an alleged case of domestic abuse? They don't care either way so all I'd advise is not to click on their articles and to unfollow folk banging on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If she did it and there is also a suggestion of previous instances of domestic abuse, they were right to pursue her. I don't want to speak ill of the dead but if she was guilty, she was scum. Domestic abuse against men, for some reason, seems to be treated fairly dismissively by most people.

I said this on another thread and I'll say it here. We can't just stand back and blame the tabloid media. Yes, they are amoral vultures who will write anything to sell a paper but there are a lot of people who rush to buy that sort of voyeurism. Also, the role of social media cannot be overstated. People thinking they can write whatever they like because they are behind a keyboard. Some of the stuff you see posted must be very hurtful for the recipient who, no matter how famous, is still a person.

If we really want to understand the resaons behind Flack's death, a lot of people need to acknowledge the role we played rather than standing around blaming each other.

Whatever I think of Flack, it's terribly sad that a talented 40 year old took her own life. That should never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

She's responsible for the charge.

The press are responsible for the constant pressure and scrutiny she was under which ultimately led to her demise.
    They have some cheek, luckily their days are numbered. If more people stopped buying red top the less influence they would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

what kind of world are most of you living in at all? this is literally the first time I've ever heard a single thing about her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

She's responsible for the charge.

The press are responsible for the constant pressure and scrutiny she was under which ultimately led to her demise.
    They have some cheek, luckily their days are numbered. If more people stopped buying red top the less influence they would have.

I think the vacuum left by the traditional tabloids will be filled by social media. There seems to be a huge need for trashy celebrities and their stories.

Everyone is looking around for a scapegoat in this tragic story. The two main bogeyman are now Lewis Burton for calling 999 after she cracked his head open with a lamp and the meanie authorises who insisted on pressing charges. Both are uncomfortable asides when they try to paint a portrait of poor, troubled Caroline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

sexmag wrote: »
    Is this just a tactic of the tabloids to take the heat off themselves?

There's certainly a lack of self awareness on the part of the press and significant amount of narcistic self interest in deflecting criticism and any blame from their selves.

The cult of celebrity has a high price, Caroline Flack isn't the first and won't be it's last victim. The media (TV and print) needs to look hard in the mirror at how it encourages, builds up and knocks down vulnerable people.

Criticising the prosecution service for doing their job is nothing short of deflecting the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There's certainly a lack of self awareness on the part of the press and significant amount of narcistic self interest in deflecting criticism and any blame from their selves.

The cult of celebrity has a high price, Caroline Flack isn't the first and won't be it's last victim. The media (TV and print) needs to look hard in the mirror at how it encourages, builds up and knocks down vulnerable people.

Criticising the prosecution service for doing their job is nothing short of deflecting the blame.

This is awful , but if you have no morals, Like the red tops. isn’t this scenario a win / win in terms of clicks and hard copy sales?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Caroline's mother has said the following in an interview and released with it an instagram post Caroline had apparently written at the end of January but was advised not to post:
    "Carrie sent me this message at the end of January but was told not to post it by advisers but she so wanted to have her little voice heard.

"So many untruths were out there but this is how she felt and my family and I would like people to read her own words. Carrie was surrounded by love and friends but this was just too much for her.

"Her friends Molly, Lou, Sam, Liam and Simon need a very special mention and lots of thanks for trying so hard to keep her safe."

"Jody her twin sister was there her whole life for her but this time nothing could take away the hurt of such injustice"

"It was describing how she was feeling and what she had gone through - no more than that. It was not blaming anyone or pointing any fingers.

"We want people to read it and want it to be shared through the EDP who we really trust and always have done."
    ---
    For a lot of people, being arrested for common assault is an extreme way to have some sort of spiritual awakening but for me it's become the normal.

I've been pressing the snooze button on many stresses in my life - for my whole life. I've accepted shame and toxic opinions on my life for over 10 years and yet told myself it's all part of my job. No complaining.

The problem with brushing things under the carpet is .... they are still there and one day someone is going to lift that carpet up and all you are going to feel is shame and embarrassment.

On December the 12th 2019 I was arrested for common assault on my boyfriend... Within 24 hours my whole world and future was swept from under my feet and all the walls that I had taken so long to build around me, collapsed. I am suddenly on a different kind of stage and everyone is watching it happen.

I have always taken responsibility for what happened that night. Even on the night. But the truth is... It was an accident.

I've been having some sort of emotional breakdown for a very long time.

But I am NOT a domestic abuser. We had an argument and an accident happened. An accident. The blood that someone SOLD to a newspaper was MY blood and that was something very sad and very personal.

The reason I am talking today is because my family can't take anymore. I've lost my job. My home. My ability to speak. And the truth has been taken out of my hands and used as entertainment.

I can't spend every day hidden away being told not to say or speak to anyone.

I'm so sorry to my family for what I have brought upon them and for what my friends have had to go through.

I'm not thinking about 'how I'm going to get my career back.' I'm thinking about how I'm going to get mine and my family's life back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

The press squirming as usual trying to save themselves, if this had of been a man he'd have been deemed a psycho and loose cannon who was pretending to be nice but he's a woman beater. It's not like it was a slap in the face he got. More men need to come out and stand up to domestic abuse. I know I was in a relationship and it was mental torture that nobody could see that was the worst, luckily I found self worth and got out of there but still have to deal with that person on a weekly basis. At the time I'd no idea how to address " mental abuse". The mortal of the story is it doesn't matter what gender you should be punished for it.

The prosecution are doing their job with the evidence they had, the press are making crap up to sell papers and don't care about the people who suffer because of it. I'm sure the thoughts of prison time destroyed the girl and the press certainly had a hand in it.

I recall a post from Caroline saying she spoke to a supposed "friend" back a few months and was told that she was "draining". With that lack of empathy and support she never really stood a chance to have positive voices to aid get declining mental state.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Her boyfriend didn't want it to go ahead, it was a domestic, it wasn't in the public interest, the prosecuteres just wanted a prosecution at all costs they take no responsibility the damage they can do to someone. I'd put the responsibility of her death firmly in the hands of the state she supporterd all her life who turned on her and destroyed her.
    This notion that criminal charges are they only way to fix something is barbaric, the first line should be the health services not the gallows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Her boyfriend didn't want it to go ahead, it was a domestic, it wasn't in the public interest, the prosecuteres just wanted a prosecution at all costs they take no responsibility the damage they can do to someone. I'd put the responsibility of her death firmly in the hands of the state she supporterd all her life who turned on her and destroyed her.
    This notion that criminal charges are they only way to fix something is barbaric, the first line should be the health services not the gallows.

Didn't he want to drop the charges cause he seen the effect it was having on her?
    Plus I don't call a crack of a Lamp over the head and a head injury just a domestic. We can't excuse it because it's a women hitting a man (in general terms) if it was a domestic her job wouldn't of pulled her out of her job. She must of been facing jail time and add the media to the mix to condemn her to that terrible decision. Nobody wins here nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 little bit of help

To be honest that message from her is a complete cop out. I take responsibility but it was an accident? How do you accidently hit someone asleep with a heavy object? Blaming mental health issues and then acting like a victim is not right. The fact that she couldn't accept what she did was wrong is not the media's fault. All this victim blaming is just weird. Yeah if someone battered me while I was asleep sure as hell I'm going to call the police. and lots of domestic abuse victims don't want to press charges afterwards. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

What utter crap. It was her choice to" allegedly" hit her partner over the head with a lamp while he slept, and to be restrained when the police arrived.

There was obviously enough evidence to charge her. By that reckoning anybody who assaults or kills another person has health issues and shouldn't be prosecuted and instead get help. The state did their job, there are victims of abuse everywhere that are too scared/stupid to press charges which is why the state can proceed without their support, and rightfully so in my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jasper79 wrote: »
    There was obviously enough evidence to charge her.

Well no that is not obvious at all in reality. The CPS don't set the threshold at simply charging someone, they have to be reasonably confident of a conviction in court.

Given the 2 people involved disputed the charges and the victim was now "hostile" i.e. a witness for the defense. The probability of a conviction nose dives in these of type cases.

The CPS also has a duty of care to the alleged perpetrator, this is weighed against the severity of the crime, criminal history of the accused and likely hood of re-offending among a whole heap of other things.

Given the crime was common assault which would have been dealt in Magistrates Court, it was on the lower end of severity. Even if found guilty which was not likely, she was looking at a fine and community service at the absolute maximum for a first time offender with no criminal record.

So we know for a fact she killed herself so this immediately nullifies "The Public Interest" threshold, as the public interest does not trump her life.

So yes the CPS will probably have to explain themselves to a Coroner if he/she so wishes. That's not to say they did anything wrong, but to be fair it doesn't look great.

The case opens today AFAIK, which is remarkably fast.

Boggles wrote: »
    Well no that is not obvious at all in reality. The CPS don't set the threshold at simply charging someone, they have to be reasonably confident of a conviction in court.

Given the 2 people involved disputed the charges and the victim was now "hostile" i.e. a witness for the defense. The probability of a conviction nose dives in these of type cases.

The CPS also has a duty of care to the alleged perpetrator, this is weighed against the severity of the crime, criminal history of the accused and likely hood of re-offending among a whole heap of other things.

Given the crime was common assault which would have been dealt in Magistrates Court, it was on the lower end of severity. Even if found guilty which was not likely, she was looking at a fine and community service at the absolute maximum for a first time offender with no criminal record.

So we know for a fact she killed herself so this immediately nullifies "The Public Interest" threshold, as the public interest does not trump her life.

So yes the CPS will probably have to explain themselves to a Coroner if he/she so wishes. That's not to say they did anything wrong, but to be fair it doesn't look great.

So you expect them to say, Sure it looks like you clubbed your partner over the head with a lamp, but you probably won't do it again and he doesn't look too bothered about it so we'll just be on our way, good day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

The alleged assault was horrific. Mental illness or not, violence is violence. Still sad that someone's daughter/sister/friend took her life though.

Richard Pryor allegedly beat several shades of shyte out of women he was with. Still a comedy genius who has left a remarkable legacy. Still sad that he died early in life. Still sad that he had severe mental health issues.

You can acknowledge her behaviour was disgusting and see a suicide as sad.

And bringing up Chris Brown, whose girlfriend was photographed covered in bruises and with a swollen eye... poor wee Chris. Yeah it would still be sad if he killed himself but he didn't, and may not have had mental health issues, so maybe not the greatest comparison.

So you expect them to say, Sure it looks like you clubbed your partner over the head with a lamp, but you probably won't do it again and he doesn't look too bothered about it so we'll just be on our way, good day ?

No I am explaining to you the reality of how the CPS is tasked with doing it's job, or at least should do it's job.

If you want to dumb it down by turning into the comments section from the Daily Mail, then fill your boots.

No I am explaining to you the reality of how the CPS is tasked with doing it's job, or at least should do it's job.

If you want to dumb it down by turning into the comments section from the Daily Mail, then fill your boots.

So you are saying that they didn't do their job correctly in this case ?

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Richard Pryor allegedly beat several shades of shyte out of women he was with. Still a comedy genius who has left a remarkable legacy. Still sad that he died early in life. Still sad that he had severe mental health issues.

He was a chronic alcohol and drug addict most of his life, had several heart attacks and multiple sclerosis.

He died at 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The alleged assault was horrific.

No it wasn't...you'd swear she went at him with a machette the way people in this thread are going on
    ..tis but a scratch.

Screenshot-20200219-102247.jpg

• Advertisement

So you are saying that they didn't do their job correctly in this case ?

Did you actually read my post? I have highlighted the relevant portion for you.

He was a chronic alcohol and drug addict most of his life, had several heart attacks and multiple sclerosis.

He died at 65.
    Yes, early in life. My grandad died at 65 and his widow lived for nearly 34 years after he died.

But that's not my point anyway.

No it wasn't...you'd swear she went at him with a machette the way people in this thread are going on
    ..tis but a scratch.

Screenshot-20200219-102247.jpg
    Cracked a lamp over his head while he was sleeping. Of course it was horrific.

Yes, early in life. My grandad died at 65 and his widow lived for nearly 34 years after he died.

Yes but did he do 8 balls for breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Fook him he beat his partner up, he was nothing but a scumbag who deserved everything they said about him.

Exact same as caroline flack.

Did you actually read my post? I have highlighted the relevant portion for you.

And you said it doesn't look great for them, I don't see how it doesn't. But that's not for you or I to decide.

Yes but did he do 8 balls for breakfast?
    Still sad that he died early in life.

But anyway, serious straying from my point, which is that a troubled person being an asshole in life and then killing themselves - can still be sad.

And you said it doesn't look great for them, I don't see how it doesn't. But that's not for you or I to decide.

No it is my opinion, obviously.

But if the alleged perpetrator killed themselves in what was a relatively minor case, that is not a great look given the CPS have the legal obligation of a duty of care.

Given the information that continues to filter out, the optics are looking much worse.

I can imagine the Coroners Case could be very interesting / damaging depending on which way they bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

DeanAustin wrote: »
    If she did it and there is also a suggestion of previous instances of domestic abuse, they were right to pursue her. I don't want to speak ill of the dead but if she was guilty, she was scum. Domestic abuse against men, for some reason, seems to be treated fairly dismissively by most people.

I said this on another thread and I'll say it here. We can't just stand back and blame the tabloid media. Yes, they are amoral vultures who will write anything to sell a paper but there are a lot of people who rush to buy that sort of voyeurism. Also, the role of social media cannot be overstated. People thinking they can write whatever they like because they are behind a keyboard. Some of the stuff you see posted must be very hurtful for the recipient who, no matter how famous, is still a person.

If we really want to understand the resaons behind Flack's death, a lot of people need to acknowledge the role we played rather than standing around blaming each other.

Whatever I think of Flack, it's terribly sad that a talented 40 year old took her own life. That should never happen.

Severe case of mixed up thinking on display here. Accusing others of writing ' whatever they like' while at the same time suggesting that the person in question was ' scum '. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Laura99

This is beyond ridiculous now. This is being said in hindsight now. I didn't see any calls by the press to not have her prosecuted when the incident happened. They also knew that she had mental health issues, everyone did, she spoke about it several times and had a post about it in October. That didn't stop them publishing articles and stories either. Everyone is playing the blame game to suit themselves.

And using the fact that he didn't want to go ahead with charges as a reason why they shouldn't have pushed ahead is just ignorant. Laws are there for a reason, victims very often recant and go back to their abusers. How many stories have their been of people dying after a protection order was lifted. Maybe that wasn't the case here, maybe she was innocent, we don't know, that's why it goes to trial. They must have felt like they had a enough evidence to try the case at least, otherwise they aren't going to waste time and money on it.

Edit: Also to add, I'm not surprised she was advised not to put out that statement because she likely would have been raked over the coals for trying to downplay the incident as an accident.

Advertisement