Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edible shelter belt

Options
  • 16-02-2020 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

Guys I'm thinking of hedging to act as a shelter belt in the veg garden
    I'm on a mountain on the west coast so subject to the storms.

I'm looking for it to be edible.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mehico

Blackthorn and Elderberry are two natives that should grow in most places. Elder is fairy easy to propagate from cuttings aswell. Hawthorn berries can be eaten also I believe although I have never tried them but possibly an option as part of the shelter belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Crab apple can produce fruit that can be used in cooking and can be fairly hardy. Hazel, sweet chestnut and some cherry trees might also be worth considering and there is one I just planted recently that is evergreen and said to be hardy and produces edible fruit called elaeagnus ebbingei.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

I put a few test myrobalan plums down a couple of years ago in a similar location, they did well so planted an full belt this winter. They come into leaf early and still have some of last years leaves on them (mild winter so far), only slips so probably won't have fruit for a few years.

Advertisement