Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got assaulted by the lodger in the house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

nthclare wrote: »
    Actually that's a problem alright.
    Well maybe the landlord has a spare key.

I hope you do get rid of this loon.

The stress must be at tipping point at this time.

What kind of lock is on the bedroom doors? Is it a basta lock? Is there any extra lock fitted to that particular door?

If it’s a basta lock or a union lock you can buy keys for these in some hardware stores (though probably not on a Sunday).

Alternatively, If you have someone with you when she returns to the house they can ask her for the key so you can get her belongings for her. But don’t let her back in the house.

Please make sure you have someone you trust with you for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kangaroolala

Arrival wrote: »
    Yes, but if you're subletting it should be in your lease to say the landlord is okay with you subletting, is that the case? You also said earlier that the landlord was okay with you changing the keys, so I'm presuming you've told them about the situation?

And the Argentinian guy, is he not on the lease either, you're subletting to him also?

Yeah I told the landlord. Since her move in from January, I haven’t got any good sleep. I am the only one on the lease, so the Argentina guy is not on the lease. He pretended he didn’t hear anything when the masculine woman was assaulting me. He only said he doesn’t want to get involved but was laughing with the masculine woman after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Are they the basta type lock?
    All hardware shops stock them and most will lend you the numbers bunch to open the door for a cash deposit you get back on return of the keys.

Yeah I told the landlord. Since her move in from January, I haven’t got any good sleep. I am the only one on the lease, so the Argentina guy is not on the lease. He pretended he didn’t hear anything when the masculine woman was assaulting me. He only said he doesn’t want to get involved but was laughing with the masculine woman after.

Them 2 fcukers need to be put out on the road.im guessing you were too nice to them and they took your kindness as weakness.
    Fire them out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Them 2 fcukers need to be put out on the road.im guessing you were too nice to them and they took your kindness as weakness.
    Fire them out

And deport them hopefully assault is serious especially in one's personal space.

• Advertisement

What kind of lock is on the bedroom doors? Is it a basta lock? Is there any extra lock fitted to that particular door?

If it’s a basta lock or a union lock you can buy keys for these in some hardware stores (though probably not on a Sunday).

Alternatively, If you have someone with you when she returns to the house they can ask her for the key so you can get her belongings for her. But don’t let her back in the house.

Please make sure you have someone you trust with you for the next while.

It is the basta lock. But how can I get one which exactly fits the keyhole for that room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It is the basta lock. But how can I get one which exactly fits the keyhole for that room?

Get a locksmith in. You'll need them to change the house locks anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sounds like you need to arrange to have a few people stay around for a couple of nights and maybe during the day too in case she tries something.

All hardware shops have a big bunch with all the numbers on it.its around 50 euro to borrow them to open the door and they give you the money back when you bring back the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You could drill it and replace.

Is recommend having a new front door lock on hand and as soon as she leaves change it right away, then work on getting into bedroom, take photos and or video if possible and bag everything and arrange she can collect outside.

Do everything through text or email, no calls unless recorded.

I'd recommend having a the fella and or a friend or 2 for a few days until she is gone and clear.

If there are more threats call 999 right away and actually call for assistance and you are in fear for your safety.

You need her out today and if not tomorrow.

Do not let this carry on.

• Advertisement

strandroad wrote: »
    Get a locksmith in. You'll need them to change the house locks anyway.

I am a bit of frightened if she will take revenge over me after that. I will get locksmith tomorrow morning. After all the locks sort out I will go to work. But how about she call the police when she comes back home for not able to open the door?

I am a bit of frightened if she will take revenge over me after that. I will get locksmith tomorrow morning. After all the locks sort out I will go to work. But how about she call the police when she comes back home for not able to open the door?

They won't get involved as it's a civil matter.

What have the cops said about the assault on you, have you made them aware she is smoking drugs?

You need to contact them or go to them and ask to speak to a seargent and don't leave till you do.

Be calm, think before you speak and don't be excited or shout...

You need help and they are there to protect us all.

Don't worry about what she will do or call and you worry about yourself.

Can you have others stay with you for a bit of time or even be there today and tonight.

They won't get involved as it's a civil matter.

What have the cops said about the assault on you, have you made them aware she is smoking drugs?

You need to contact them or go to them and ask to speak to a seargent and don't leave till you do.

Be calm, think before you speak and don't be excited or shout...

You need help and they are there to protect us all.

Don't worry about what she will do or call and you worry about yourself.

Can you have others stay with you for a bit of time or even be there today and tonight.

The garda told me to go to the station to make a statement on Wednesday evening. But there are still three days before Wednesday.

Tell the guards a tenant in the house is displaying serious mental health issues,smoking drugs,assaulting other house members and threatening to set the house on fire and that you fear for your safety.

The garda told me to go to the station to make a statement on Wednesday evening. But there are still three days before Wednesday.

Get her out. When does she usually leave,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

You need to go to the guards as soon as possible. No offence, but you could be seriously hurt before Wednesday. This woman needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

It appears warranted to me. I’d be keeping it to cover the cost of lock change and other hassle. Lodger hasn’t a leg to stand on.

Why does it appear warranted to keep the deposit?
    Was the locks damaged, if not why did you keep the deposit. Locks are cheap. Just give back the deposit and be done with the lodger

Fol20 wrote: »
    Was the locks damaged, if not why did you keep the deposit. Locks are cheap. Just give back the deposit and be done with the lodger

Nobody has kept it, she is still there....

Tell the guards a tenant in the house is displaying serious mental health issues,smoking drugs,assaulting other house members and threatening to set the house on fire and that you fear for your safety.

Is there a safer way to protect myself? She would go mad and report me for breaking into her room☹️

Is there a safer way to protect myself? She would go mad and report me for breaking into her room☹️

How if she is kicked out?

It's not her room, she has no right unless of course you break or Rob her stuff.

Once out change lock, get into that room, bag everything and text her that everything is available to be collected.

Do not let her back in.

You have been advised now numerous times to not do this alone and if any more threats call 999 and ask for assistance as stated.

You need others with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Maybe the landlord knows the law? Perhaps go to Citizens advise.

Fol20 wrote: »

Her behavior is causing the lock to have to be changed. Also I’d feel justified in keeping the money as compensation for the hassle she is causing. She hasn’t a leg to stand on trying to get it back, not like she can go crying to the rtb etc she has no rights.

Her behavior is causing the lock to have to be changed. Also I’d feel justified in keeping the money as compensation for the hassle she is causing. She hasn’t a leg to stand on trying to get it back, not like she can go crying to the rtb etc she has no rights.

This will only drag it out.

This will only drag it out.

Get her out. When does she usually leave,

she usually leaves the house in the morning about 8:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭wandererz

Get the locksmith in to replace outer door locks and bedroom locks.
    Make copies of each.
    Don't tell the Argentinian guy until just before he returns home or he may warn the woman.
    Tell him that under no circumstances is he to let her in or he will be thrown out as well.

Let her know just before she is due to arrive that she is no longer a lodger there and her things are Outside waiting to be collected.

Take the day off work if you can and ensure your boyfriend and others are around to support you, especially around the time she arrives and through the evening.

As for deposit, ask her for bank details to be texted & you can do a transfer.

Money back and get rid, you don't want to have her looking for it and dragging it on.

Obviously if there is money owed for bills etc then deduct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭wandererz

Have you filed an assault charge against the woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

she usually leaves the house in the morning about 8:30.

Take the day off work if you can.

Book a locksmith for 10am and get it done.

Put her stuff in bags and put outside, if she tries to force herself in, call the gards, as others have suggested, try and have some people with you there tomorrow night.

Thats it sorted, she has no rights and will soon realise that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yeah I would like to know what to do. she is bigger than me and very violent too, I will get hurt again If I confront her. If Garda can come over and let her go, I would be so happy to refund her deposit at the presence of Garda.

Do you know any men that can help you evict her? As in, next time she leaves, grab all her stuff and put it outside, change the locks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement