Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Hub vs EPC3925

• 16-02-2020 12:37pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Probably a stupid question but hopefully someone can answer this one.And a bit of back ground.

With Virgin now 10+ years.
    Ive used the EPC3925 since I got the service in and Im probably one of the lucky ones that has had no issues with the Epc3925 until recently.
    I get full speeds 240mb (house was rewired with cat 5 when we moved in so the important rooms are hardwired)
    The house is solid concrete built in the 70s - wifi is almost useless. Otherwise I use powerline adapters. Wifi is mainly for the kids devices- phones ,tablets etc. where speed isn't really an issue. I do get 10-40 mb on wireless in most rooms-the 10 being the furthest away from the route.
    Im using b/g wifi by the way.

So anyway my Epc 3925 is starting to act up. It heats up and then I loose all connections. Reboot it after a few minutes and it works again until next time.Probably once or twice a week. It is definitely heat related as I can recreate the issue by covering the modem up and it feels hot to the touch.
    Ive moved it out of the media cabinet so that its cooler..before that it was loosing connection daily.

So I get on to VM and they send me out one of their new white hubs.

Ive read horror stories about these hubs but I wanted to ask if Im better sticking with the epc until it fails completely or are these new Hubs any use.

I cant be without service as my wife runs her business from the house and Im nervous changing out everything to a new modem.

Anyone set my mind at ease?

Thanks
    Richie

Comments

I've definitely noticed the internet cutting off more since I got the new white hub. Usually disconnects for a minute or so and just reconnects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I still have my EPC3925, in bridge mode, despite Virgin pestering me to get their new hub and I have no plans to change it until it dies. I have a PC fan sitting on top of mine running from the USB port on the back and have never had any overheating problems since doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Take a USB cable for charging a phone/whatever
    2. Find an 80mm fan for PC/similar
    3. Connect power pins of USB cable to fan
    4. Plug fan into Ciscos USB port and plonk on top. Ran one like that for years. Solid AF.

The COMPAL was shocking, its less bad now but still falls over if you send too many pps and there's nothing can be done to fix it as the hardware is critically flawed. You wont be allowed keep the Cisco long I suspect but for now I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We have the Hub for a few years now. Anything hardwired worked flawlessly. WiFi was OK most of the time. Last November WiFi got really screwy. We'd constantly have to disconnect & reconnect devices. Virgin tried splitting the signal 2 and 5. No difference. Eventually they sent out a new hub. We had the exact same issue. WiFi was useless. I bought Google Wi-Fi & hardwired it to the hub. We now get perfect super fast WiFi throughout the house. No more rebooting the box. We now have the best Wi-Fi we've ever had.

Google WiFi wasn't cheap but I highly recommend it. It will fix any WiFi issues with the Virgin Hub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Many people put the VM hub into bridge mode and use their own WiFi router. They don't use the WiFi on the hub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭CoBo55

beauf wrote: »
    Many people put the VM hub into bridge mode and use their own WiFi router. They don't use the WiFi on the hub.

That's my set-up and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I've had an EPC3925 tipping away without any major issues for almost a decade, and I'm sure it would have continued for years to come but its replacement was forced as a condition of an upgrade. So far I've not observed any issues with the Hub but if we were given the means to use our own modems I wouldn't use either of them.

I've had an EPC3925 tipping away without any major issues for almost a decade, and I'm sure it would have continued for years to come but its replacement was forced as a condition of an upgrade. So far I've not observed any issues with the Hub but if we were given the means to use our own modems I wouldn't use either of them.

Nothing stopping you using your own router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you using your own router.
    True, but your router still plugs into their supplied modem and they will not allow you to use your own.

True, but your router still plugs into their supplied modem and they will not allow you to use your own.

Do other cable suppliers allow you to use your own modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Do other cable suppliers allow you to use your own modem?

In the states its not uncommon. Here there are no other cable suppliers*.

* Other than tiny ones

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Alun wrote: »
    I still have my EPC3925, in bridge mode, despite Virgin pestering me to get their new hub and I have no plans to change it until it dies. I have a PC fan sitting on top of mine running from the USB port on the back and have never had any overheating problems since doing that.
    ED E wrote: »
    1. Take a USB cable for charging a phone/whatever
    2. Find an 80mm fan for PC/similar
    3. Connect power pins of USB cable to fan
    4. Plug fan into Ciscos USB port and plonk on top. Ran one like that for years. Solid AF.

The COMPAL was shocking, its less bad now but still falls over if you send too many pps and there's nothing can be done to fix it as the hardware is critically flawed. You wont be allowed keep the Cisco long I suspect but for now I would.

Did this last week and its been running without having to restart since then.
    And its a lot cooler now.

Advertisement