Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

I misread your user name as stalkerguy.

That was witty man you deserve some likes for that, brilliant. Not hard to know where u come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

alastair wrote: »
    The recent election polls were pretty accurate. Certainly within the margin of error. What narrative do you imagine is being ‘fitted onto’ 71% supporting citizenship fir those born here?

Head in the sand stuff. Even Mary Lou didn't expect the surge they got. Not one poll pre election determined a 3 way even split. FF topping but needing others to fall over the line was the narrative. They couldn't be more wrong.

If you performed a poll in my house for the best dad in the world, I suspect I would top the poll. It very much depends who/where/when the poll is performed and the narrative can be adjusted to fit any argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Interesting article in the IT.

At first glance you think on reading the title this is a racism thing or something but when you read the article deeply it actually becomes much more important and more worrying for other reasons.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/house-the-irish-first-group-halts-building-work-on-65-social-homes-in-west-dublin-1.4174252
    Celine Corish (27) said she is living with her sons aged nine and five in her mother’s three-bedroom house with 10 other people.

“There’s one bathroom. I share a bedroom with my sister, her two kids and my two kids. There’s damp all over the walls and ceiling. We got the council out and they said the damp is because it’s so over-crowded. I’m 7½ years on the list, number 860.” She said she has been told she will be waiting seven to 10 more years to be housed.

Yeh should read the rest which is in the same vein.

The entitlement is strong in this article.

No mention of going to college, getting a job, renting a place, getting a mortgage.

They mention the furiners though.

They want the houses for their adult children who expect to be housed. It's a cradle to grave outlook of how the state will look after them.

It's quite worrying really as to where our peculiar brand of welfare state is taking society.

Somebody is paying the bill.

Can't read the article and not paying a cent towards that trash that is the irish times.

But just looking at the article quote above, some things really stand out.
    For a start she is 27, but has 9 year old which means she got pregnant at 17/18.
    So probably no college.
    She went on housing list 7.5 years ago, but even though living at home or in rented accommodation decided to have another kid 5 years ago.

Now who knows a few working people who just have one kid because that is all they can afford the child care for ?
    Who knows some people that only have second kid when they can actually afford to rear them ?

Her sister it seems is in the same boat and they live with parents in council house.
    Are her and her sister just carrying on the family tradition ?
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So if your kids already exist, give them back?

Nah try not have them in the first place if you can't fooking afford to rear them.
    It seems to be ok for working people to adopt this principle, but not the entitled social welfare careerist class. :mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Trumps election is all you need to know about polls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That was witty man you deserve some likes for that, brilliant.

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Idbatterim wrote: »
    meh, government offer a free housing and people wonder why people would hold out for it? LOL!

whats the altertnative? try save a deposit, by existing for years, living at home or in a kip, then paying a marginal tax rate of FIFTY percent?

Ah here, again?

Are you fuckin serious or trolling now? Because you're peddling this lie across a multitude of threads. Despite repeatedly being proven wrong on it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,265 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Keep sticking that head in the sand - it’s your entitlement, as you say.
    iebamm2580 wrote: »
    It is my entitlement, thanks for acknowledging that, you are slowly learning.
    You’re equally entitled to claim the earth is flat. But that doesn’t change those awkward facts either.
    Nothing awkward at all alastair, you seem wound up today, do you need to go for a walk , clear the head.
    [HTML][/HTML]

Oh, those facts are pretty awkward for your position.
    Oh but they are not alastair, this is even a reach for you telling me how to feel. You have certainly a unique some would say narcissistic personality.
    Nothing to do with me pal, your difficulty arises between your beliefs, and the facts.
    lol a poll is an opinion not fact. A vote is fact not a poll so come back to me when we vote to have birth right citizenship until then enjoy cuckoo land.
    The poll findings are fact. A vote is just another poll.
    Wrong.

The pair of you seem to struggle discussing the topic, and indeed interacting in a civil manner

Both of you are now banned from posting in this thread again

Any questions, PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I live in this area.

It all started from a rumour and has snowballed from there. They've no solid evidence that any body is being housed ahead of them. And one of the is blatantly lying in that article saying her daughter is homeless when she is renting a three bed house not ten doors away from me.

Their Facebook group is a sight to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you want a council house you need 2 children,
    one child will get you a 2 bed apartment .
    The housing list is based on where you how many kids ,you have,
    the area,s you applied for .Maybe extra points for medical issue,s you might have .
    you can select 3 area,s eg finglas,coolock,ballymun.
    If there,s no new housing in the area selected you,ll be waiting a long time to get an offer .a Mother with 2 kids will not get offered a 2 bed unit.
    She,ll only get an offer if theres a 3 bed unit vacant .
    you can take a house in finglas ,live there a year then try and get a transfer to coolock ,or swap with someone who lives in coolock but wants to live in finglas .
    Some people have sex, they get pregnant , not all children are planned .
    i think its a myth ,people go to council i want a house but it must be close to my mother.
    Everyone gets the same form to fill out to go on the housing list.
    i know a landlord the only tenants he had were single mother,s
    ,he rented a 3 bed house .
    I do,nt know how the council can improve the system for allocating housing ,its designed to be fair .
    People on the housing list will get offered housing by cluid and other charitys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ah here, again?

Are you fuckin serious or trolling now? Because you're peddling this lie across a multitude of threads. Despite repeatedly being proven wrong on it.

you lose half of every euro you earn over E35,300 as a single earner. Dont talk ****, if you choose to work extra hours, would you do it for half pay ? you might, you might not. But I think, people can make their own judgements , as they often do in my case, where the staff turn down E35 hour. Thats their business, but this bull**** talk about SF and being damaging to business, we already have that with FFG, please read the below.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tax-scheme-multinationals-ireland-4815711-Sep2019/

defend insane rates of income tax if you like, it already is hampering growth here! Labour is mobile, you think everyone is going to stick around for rip off housing, **** weather, **** government, **** infrastucuture, E60 gp visits and mad tax, when they get FA back for it? the only ones benefitting from the obscene rates, are the welfare class! with the virtually free housing, transport,medical card etc etc etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Several things should happen.

1) You certainly shouldn’t get ANY choice in were your free house will be located.

2) You only get 1 offer. Take it or go to the back of the queue.

3) Much less social housing in Dublin, were the working people paying for your free house would be better located.

4) Annual review. If 2 kids have moved out, move to a smaller place. Shouldn’t make a difference if somebody is 70. You should have bought your own place if you wanted the luxury of a certain area.

5) Reduce dole for each year a person is claiming it.

6) Scrap the Xmas bonus. It’s insulting to everyone who works full time.

These points would certainly help to address the entitlement. Unfortunately, a government would be crucified for it.

Do they have this system in the UK ? I remember seeing something before on a Uk TV show, where if I present myself as homeless in "Example" Dublin, they can offer me housing in south west Kerry and if I refuse they discharge their care of me.

Why can't we have a system where we build houses in rural areas?

you lose half of every euro you earn over E35,300 as a single earner. Dont talk ****, if you choose to work extra hours, would you do it for half pay ? you might, you might not. But I think, people can make their own judgements , as they often do in my case, where the staff turn down E35 hour. Thats their business, but this bull**** talk about SF and being damaging to business, we already have that with FFG, please read the below.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tax-scheme-multinationals-ireland-4815711-Sep2019/

defend insane rates of income tax if you like, it already is hampering growth here! Labour is mobile, you think everyone is going to stick around for rip off housing, **** weather, **** government, **** infrastucuture, E60 gp visits and mad tax, when they get FA back for it? the only ones benefitting from the obscene rates, are the welfare class! with the virtually free housing, transport,medical card etc etc etc etc etc

I'm not defending anything, you say that low earners pay FIFTY % tax.

They don't.

You're shiteing on about how it's a judgement, it's not - it's either true or not, and in this case, and every other time you say that low earners pay FIFTY % tax, it's not true. You're either stupid or being deliberately disingenuous, which is it?

They might pay almost 50% on earnings over 35k on a week-week basis but they still pay an overall rate of less than 30%. So Stop Lying, or else learn how taxation actually works.

I'm sick of your shite, you tried to tell me the other day that because it's more expensive to live in Dublin that it counts as tax. Would you not just shut up with your shite. there's plenty true things you can peddle.

I'm not even referencing a political party, I'm simply calling out your constant lying on here. It's ridiculous.

FIFTY he says - FIFTY % bullshite, FIFTY % stupid.

I'm not defending anything, you say that low earners pay FIFTY % tax.

They don't.

You're shiteing on about how it's a judgement, it's not - it's either true or not, and in this case, and every other time you say that low earners pay FIFTY % tax, it's not true. You're either stupid or being deliberately disingenuous, which is it?

They might pay almost 50% on earnings over 35k on a week-week basis but they still pay an overall rate of less than 30%. So Stop Lying, or else learn how taxation actually works.

I'm sick of your shite, you tried to tell me the other day that because it's more expensive to live in Dublin that it counts as tax. Would you not just shut up with your shite. there's plenty true things you can peddle.

I'm not even referencing a political party, I'm simply calling out your constant lying on here. It's ridiculous.

FIFTY he says - FIFTY % bullshite, FIFTY % stupid.

I said that if you earn around E40,000 k or whatever in dublin, you are working poor and hit with the marginal rate. E40,000 inside dublin and outside dublin are two very different things! In london, they have the "london weighting" https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/issues/work/london-living-wage/

that wouldnt fly here, because no doubt it would be seen as an attack on rural ireland! LOL!
    that is true, I am not disputing that, I am saying that an insane marginal rate, over a pittance of an income , has consequences. These people themselves cant buy houses, but are paying for luxury housing for layouts in many cases! Laughable!

I said that if you earn around E40,000 k or whatever in dublin, you are working poor and hit with the marginal rate. E40,000 inside dublin and outside dublin are two very different things! In london, they have the "london weighting" https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/issues/work/london-living-wage/

that wouldnt fly here, because no doubt it would be seen as an attack on rural ireland! LOL!

that is true, I am not disputing that, I am saying that an insane marginal rate, over a pittance of an income , has consequences. These people themselves cant buy houses, but are paying for luxury housing for layouts in many cases! Laughable!

I live in the rust belt, and pay top market rent on a place with single glaze windows and an internal weather system, I know all about what the cost of living is. :pac:

Thing is, I'm not arguing with the points you want to make, when you bring it further than just saying that people are paying FIFTY % tax it's clear what you mean, but to say that low income workers in Dublin - or anywhere are paying 50% tax is simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

People on the housing list will get offered housing by cluid and other charitys.

Cluid is not a charity. It is funded by the tax payer through money given to them to by the government and county councils. They do not have to pay it back. They own over 10,000 properties now and the rent the tenants pay go straight to Cluid to pay their staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Are we including vat here or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

wellwhynot wrote: »

Cluid is not a charity. It is funded by the tax payer through money given to them to by the government and county councils. They do not have to pay it back. They own over 10,000 properties now and the rent the tenants pay go straight to Cluid to pay their staff.

Also to add they bought my house from me a few years back. It was funded by the county council and given to a Muslim family who remain unemployed. House is €500,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Also to add they bought my house from me a few years back. It was funded by the county council and given to a Muslim family who remain unemployed. House is €500,000

I can rest easy knowing their religion now, I couldn't get through another day without knowing what some strangers religion is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

You're racist for posting this.
    They cannot get jobs because Ireland is racist.
    Only right that that family was given a house they need all the help they can get with all the racists about.

I think more Irish males should be thrown out onto the streets to beg I mean we are all so racist.

Now you cannot answer me back nor question my post as I used the R word.:eek:

Sure loads of Irish people are going to Muslim countries and getting free houses.;)

It's not like it's all oneway traffic?

• Advertisement

You're racist for posting this.
    They cannot get jobs because Ireland is racist.
    Only right that that family was given a house they need all the help they can get with all the racists about.

I think more Irish males should be thrown out onto the streets to beg I mean we are all so racist.

Now you cannot answer me back nor question my post as I used the R word.:eek:

Sure loads of Irish people are going to Muslim countries and getting free houses.;)

He never said they weren't Irish, he said they were Muslim. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

He never said they weren't Irish, he said they were Muslim. ;)

They must of converted?;)

Sure we know Irish passports are highly prized and tightly guarded and only awarded to those who will work their asses off.:P

They must of converted?;)

Sure we know Irish passports are highly prized and tightly guarded and only awarded to those who will work their asses off.:P

Maybe they must of yeah, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why should there be any social housing in new estates. So one family pay 250k plus for the house and there neighbour is given 1 for free??

Would anybody here be happy if that happened them. Imagine getting up for work every morning and the lad next door laughing at you as your paying for your own house but also his!

How is this right!!

Political correctness

A situation where only those who pay a mortgage get to live in a private estate is "exclusionary"

Can't agree more. Having lived abroad for a time, it's very striking how infantalised a lot of Irish people are. Someone needs to mind them, take care of them, look after them...etc etc.

The mindset of self reliance prevalent in other nations is simply absent here especially among lower working classes.

Some hard medicine needed but unfortunately we seem to be voting more and more left.

Conditioning by an exclusively left wing media

Mother state must do all for us

Wasters like this SF promise to house, they can fnck off IMO & stay on a housing list. Genuine cases suffer over these leeches.

Augeo wrote: »
    Wasters like this SF promise to house, they can fnck off IMO & stay on a housing list. Genuine cases suffer over these leeches.

the genuine cases wont qualify for social housing for the most part!

baldbear wrote: »
    I'm from Longford where there are plenty of Africans and Eastern Europeans. Theres an asylum centre in the town.

Longford town is been ruined by scumbags & guess where the are from? Longford. Travellers have been feuding for years and has escalated all over the town now. Its sickening. I wish these families were replaced by foreigners.

It's never a good idea to benchmark against the very worst situation

I'd prefer have Islamic state members for neighbours than travellers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

What is the reluctance by all major parties to tackle the bloated social welfare system?
    Do lifelong dolies vote on a consistent basis? I wouldn't have thought so but maybe I'm wrong.

I would have thought, that if wegot the real Leo, the Libertarian Leo; not the Trudeau wannabe version - that he would have peared the welfare bonanza right back. Maybe even put a cap on total welfare claimable by an individual. I can't see many of the working class / squeezed middle being against those moves.

On the other hand it could be argued that:-
    a) we dont have the centralized system to implement a welfare cap (National ID card where are you?)
    b) the real FG voter, the landlord / drone class, have monetized the welfare state for their own gains - through the likes of HAP etc.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Ah it's just the way certain posters are. The punch down crowd :D

Anyone who uses dopey slogans like "punch down" has about as much original thought as a doll with a cord

Advertisement